• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Apparently it's not bad, and I would -totally- buy it, if I actually liked um, whatever the fuck music that shit is.

Give me one of those games, but with chiptunes instead of modern music, and I'll be so over that.
It totally has chiptunes. That is Deadmau5 stuff right?
hdyTD.jpg

Also: The wife and I are totally addicted to Friday Night Lights. Thanks a lot legend
(seriously)
Started watching it the other month on ABC and it seemed like the kind of show I would get sucked into so I am saving it for a season run one weekend with the gf. Should be fun.

What just happened I just spent $25 on DJ Hero 2 party pack. *sips drink*
Good man. I bit on the $20 single Turntable/no mic deal from LOGS unfortunately.

Who cares about video games when you have Hoegaaarden like I do?

I care about video games. And Hoegaarden.

Also: The wife and I are totally addicted to Friday Night Lights. Thanks a lot legend
(seriously)

FUCKIN MOTHERFUCKIN YES

CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS

edit: FUCK YEAH REPTILE

CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS
CAN'T LOSE. HELL YEAH.

Started watching it the other month on ABC and it seemed like the kind of show I would get sucked into so I am saving it for a season run one weekend with the gf. Should be fun.
That's what we've been doing. Fantastic show to just inhale a huge amount of a short period of time.

HOLY SHIT IT'S D'ANGELO BARKSDALE FROM THE WIRE IN FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS YOU GUYS.

I vote for "AusGAF 6: The first rule of AusGAF is you DO NOT talk about video games" or "AusGAF: 6: Adrien's Revenge"

Dead Man

Ugh. Barbecued liver pieces. I love working with the kids I do, and learning about cultures and stuff, but when I have to eat the barbecued liver to be polite, it's hard.

Ugh. Barbecued liver pieces. I love working with the kids I do, and learning about cultures and stuff, but when I have to eat the barbecued liver to be polite, it's hard.

Yeah, the consistency is what really puts me off. I will eat most stuff, but I will politely turn down liver.

Deeku

I haven't eaten like an actual piece of liver in a while, but I remember it being interesting/ok.

I can't eat that pig blood jelly cube stuff.

Salazar

Dead Man is right.

If someone puts liver in a pie, I will surgically go to work on that pie and eat every other piece of it.

Woah, we're beyond the looking glass.

We can't use Adrian's revenge yet, that's a VII joke.

more importantly suck it danoss. And this ODI is going to come down to the wire too

Yagharek

I resent gazunta's statement that portable games should be less than a dollar. Why can't the same standard be applied to console or pc games? Especially when they are all pretty much the same these days.

Fuck Catherine! I didn't know that if I ran out of retries I'd have to go back to my last save. Fuck I was really enjoying it too, now I have like 2 hours of the game to retread. It could have told me i would have to do that. I probably won't go back to it now. Fuck.

Gazunta

I resent gazunta's statement that portable games should be less than a dollar. Why can't the same standard be applied to console or pc games? Especially when they are all pretty much the same these days.
I can't recall saying they should all be less than a dollar. But the $0 to $10 price range I'm paying for iOS games (mostly between $0 and $3, really) makes a $50 portable game seem like a weirder proposition than it did two or three years ago - at least, with the type of portable games I play. YMMV.

Shanshan, yeah I can totally see not wanting to do a 2 hour round trip. It'll be interesting to see how this experiment works with having two shows a year in QLD. Of course I hope it's a success because last year's show was the best part of 2011 for me :p

Fuck Catherine! I didn't know that if I ran out of retries I'd have to go back to my last save. Fuck I was really enjoying it too, now I have like 2 hours of the game to retread. It could have told me i would have to do that. I probably won't go back to it now. Fuck.

Ah no >.<

I have mixed feelings about that game. Its kinda... warped when it comes to "good and bad" and how women work in general. Its kinda shallow. That being said it was fun to play. I won't say anymore till you finish, but come back and talk about it.

I know about 80% of the places shown on that clip... Including the fish & chip place. :(

Anyone been Momofuku Seiobo in Sydney? Didn't know there was a Momofuku in Sydney. If it's as impressive as other Chang's restaurants I'd make a trip just for that. Tried getting Ko reservations every day we spent in NYC a couple of years back and failed miserably.

Ah no >.<

I have mixed feelings about that game. Its kinda... warped when it comes to "good and bad" and how women work in general. Its kinda shallow. That being said it was fun to play. I won't say anymore till you finish, but come back and talk about it.

It's definitely interesting, can't say I've played anything like it before. I'll try it again tomorrow, just annoyed I lost so much progress :(.

Yagharek

I can't recall saying they should all be less than a dollar. But the $0 to $10 price range I'm paying for iOS games (mostly between $0 and $3, really) makes a $50 portable game seem like a weirder proposition than it did two or three years ago - at least, with the type of portable games I play. YMMV.

I still don't know why this doesn't apply to console or pc games. Its an odd mindset to me to.assume a game should be worth less on a portable platform just because of that status.

CoD11 would be worth it at $15. Halo 4 at $0.99 might get me to buy it too.

Jintor

Unsustainable! The audience growth would have to be incredible to even equal the profit margin, even with digital distribution in play!

Dead Man

Unsustainable! The audience growth would have to be incredible to even equal the profit margin, even with digital distribution in play!

Unsustainable if done right now, but in 20 (or some number x) years games will be just as popular as movies, with no cinemas to spend money on (unless games get too cinematic) so their prices should be less than a movie purchase at that time. They won't be.

Market theory says games are priced fine, but that in terms of payment for effort, they are all over the place. Indie devs get shafted regulalry, Acti rakes in the CODbucks, and new IPs fail even though they are a good game. A semi fixed price point does not help the industry.

/late night waffling after liver...

So much for the big count down eh.

Shanshan, yeah I can totally see not wanting to do a 2 hour round trip. It'll be interesting to see how this experiment works with having two shows a year in QLD. Of course I hope it's a success because last year's show was the best part of 2011 for me :p

Yeah, I heard Brisbane Snova is the biggest ^^ I just hope one of them doesn't flop. Twice the chance to buy nerdy things? I say yes.

I went to surfers using public transport a few weeks ago, three and a half hours each way. NEVER AGAIN. Especially now that there's a new mos burger opening next to top sushi~

So much for the big count down eh.

Yeah, I heard Brisbane Snova is the biggest ^^ I just hope one of them doesn't flop. Twice the chance to buy nerdy things? I say yes.

I went to surfers using public transport a few weeks ago, three and a half hours each way. NEVER AGAIN. Especially now that there's a new mos burger opening next to top sushi~

A mos burger just opened in Ipswich. Pretty keen to get amongst it. Hilariously they said they were opening here to test the Caucasian market. Apparently other Qld stores have been purposely set up in spots with high Asian populations or tourist numbers.

A mos burger just opened in Ipswich. Pretty keen to get amongst it. Hilariously they said they were opening here to test the Caucasian market. Apparently other Qld stores have been purposely set up in spots with high Asian populations or tourist numbers.

lol, oh my. They have a very Japanese taste, but I hope people will like it. The world could always use more mos burgers.

Gazunta

OK, I'm definitely not explaining myself properly, sorry guys :)

Here's where I'm at right now. 95% of my home and portable gaming time is now on iOS. Most of the games I play cost me $0 to $3, and the amount of time I put into them make this platform a very attractive proposition in terms of value for money.

Previous to iOS, my gaming time was roughly split 50/50 between DS and 360, systems that I have bought a crazy amount of games for. These days the DS is all but forgotten about and the 360 is mainly the wife's video player. And now I look at the idea of buying a 3DS or Vita or even a PS3 or Wii U as something I'm not that excited about.

Cost is a huge part of this. I look at the cost of an average title (and I apologise for trying to demarcate this between portable and console, that wasn't my intention) on any console system and I think "huh, for the price of this one game I can buy $50 worth of iTunes credit and get 10 games that I'm interested in there".

I was going to buy NFS:HP on 360 for $60 until I saw it was coming to iPad where I bought it for a dollar. Is it the same game? No, hell no, of course not, I'm not going to pretend it's even remotely close, but for a buck it's good enough to get my fix and move onto the next thing. Similarly, the killer app of the early 3DS launch titles for me was Ghost Recon...which is now coming to iOS for, what, a couple of bucks? I'm willing to sacrifice the 3D for the cost savings.

I guess all I'm saying is that the idea of paying $0 to $3 for a game has gone from 'crazy' to 'increasingly common' and will soon be 'default' in the eyes of the next generation of game players. I'm talking about the generation that considers Angry Birds more important than Super Mario. Decry it all you like, but it's happening out there.

I just think if I could buy a device that has a wealth of new games every week that I could play on a portable screen or a television, and those games were a couple of bucks each, I would be very excited. Wouldn't you be? Wouldn't that make $50 console games seem overpriced to you?

Then again...a year ago charging more than $1 for an iOS game was considered horrific, and now we have Square charging $15 for Final Fantasy Tactics and a lot of people are OK with that. Perhaps as the quality of the average iOS (or Android, what have you!) game increases, the average price will too, and we'll have some kind of happy medium.

Edit: Sony and Nintendo opening up PSN and Estore to allow anyone to make games for it and set their own price point would be awesome. I would be totally on board for that. If I haven't mentioned it here yet I really like the form factor of the Vita.

Edit 2: The Wrath of Edit: I should totally point out that my own personal taste in games is...uh...somewhat odd. There are games I have gladly paid $100 for and gotten insane value for money and would do so again in a heartbeat and I would NEED to play on a 360 with a big TV. WHERE IS MY CRACKDOWN 3 MICROSOFT I WILL PAY ANY MONIES.

Edit 33 1/3: Maybe this is like where audio people yell at iPod buyers because they're listening to badly compressed music through the horrid iPod headphones and the iPod purchaser shrugs their shoulders and goes "meh, it's good enough for me" and now that's the standard.

OK, maybe the wrong crowd, but does anyone have any experience with a 'Thermomix'? Wife told me about it today saying it's all the rage with the shitty soccer mums on Facebook but to me it looks like yet another kitchen device that will do a less than ordinary job.

Top Bottom