• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

senahorse

Funnily enough I am taking tomorrow off, and I AM spending a lot of money on a new Microsoft device! But lol Xbox.

And hopefully the Surface Pro 2 will help me actually play all these damn Steam games hahaha.

It's surprisingly competent at a lot of games even though it's just an APU.

FUME5

I did for the first bit, then, holy fuck I got a hard mission. Haha.

Huh, I've just done the first Alien Base mission, absolutely murdered them. I think I've only lost 5 soldiers and I'm on Classic. I hear Sectopods take 50% less damage from all sources now, so I'm willing to bet my confidence will evaporate shortly...

Omikron

Huh, I've just done the first Alien Base mission, absolutely murdered them. I think I've only lost 5 soldiers and I'm on Classic. I hear Sectopods take 50% less damage from all sources now, so I'm willing to bet my confidence will evaporate shortly...

Did you get a mission where there was a whale that constantly spawned chryssalids?

senahorse

What's the difference between lit'n'easy and the lean cuisine meals you get in the supermarket?

Lean cuisine meals are literally half price or less than lite'n'easy meals.

Lite n Easy is a complete meal plan. So you order breakfast lunch and dinner. They provide all meals and snacks for in between. It takes the guess work out of portion control. Generally what most people do, is do it for a few months, get used to the portion sizes and then make your own (they supply a free DIY meal plan I think). It works great for us atm because we save a lot of time cooking we can use for study (both doing certs atm) and other activities.

Holy.

Boo, just put my order in this morning. Any idea how long it'll be valid for?

Not sure, but they usually last a month or so. Always search ozbargains and their facebook page (I have to get my gf to check this as I don't have a FB account). Most weeks we have been able to apply a coupon, it's usually 15%.

Look at this idiot I saw today

n5opXwO.jpg

I wanted to try out the dinner only plans, but they have so little to offer in terms of vegetarian meals. :(
My wife's experience over a decade ago is that even if you order them, they'll deliver meat anyway.

I didn't enjoy what I ate of the meals (again, a long time ago), but I know Clipper has said he likes them now.

senahorse

My wife's experience over a decade ago is that even if you order them, they'll deliver meat anyway.

I didn't enjoy what I ate of the meals (again, a long time ago), but I know Clipper has said he likes them now.

They are alright now for the most part, of course taste is subjective but there have only been a couple of meals I wasn't particularly keen on.

Quasar

Anyone getting an Xbone tomorrow?

Naah. There really isn't anything thats appealing to me about it...aside from perhaps the new Sweary and Cappy game. Though I do like the idea of voice control and integrating apps into a single program guide.

Of course its unclear to me whether things like Netflix would work here from Australia like they do on other devices (I've seen folks claim that MS comes down on folks streaming Netflix from ip addresses outside the Netflix service areas).

Hey Shaneus, Rev3 shows an example of the implemented-into-everything microtransactions. Basically you can buy all the upgrades at any point. Like you earn XP but when you go to the menu to buy something it also has a $$$ value right there for you to buy with real money. Like a free iOS game.

EA pushed the boundaries of this stuff, with packs you could buy that unlocked all tracks/guns/etc. The main reason I didn't swear as much is that it was in the background out of your vision. In the X1 exclusives though it's a bit on the nose for my liking.

It pissed me off a LOT in Dragon Age when there was some cunt at your home campfire telling you to pay EA real world dollars to find out more about what he was advertising. In the fucking game. A dude at your base. Saying, "Pay real dollars!". Fucking immersion man. Fucked that shit up. NOT COOL I DONT LIKE THAT.

I know, I just find it funny that with all the shit MS has copped (a lot of it justified) they have a more compelling launch lineup of games, you know, the main reason you buy these things :)
I seriously haven't seen anyone say that Sony have a bigger lineup than MS to be honest.

Plenty have said they prefer the PS4 lineup (myself included) but not that they don't acknowledge MS have provided a lot of games on day one, regardless of their quality.

I am particularly interested in the fitness genre of games, of which there aren't many (read one) at launch
Yeah the fact that the Xbox Fitness apps are all streamed rather than downloaded killed my last real spark to buy the console at launch. Really sucks you can't download it as I can see how it can really motivate you to keep at it.

Sorry Rep, looks like aldi mobile isn't unlimited anymore.

aldimobile1.jpg

Thought the limits are still very generous.
Still the best offer out there. 40 hours of calls a month is enough for me :)

Shaneus

Hey Shaneus, Rev3 shows an example of the implemented-into-everything microtransactions. Basically you can buy all the upgrades at any point. Like you earn XP but when you go to the menu to buy something it also has a $$$ value right there for you to buy with real money. Like a free iOS game.

EA pushed the boundaries of this stuff, with packs you could buy that unlocked all tracks/guns/etc. The main reason I didn't swear as much is that it was in the background out of your vision. In the X1 exclusives though it's a bit on the nose for my liking.

It pissed me off a LOT in Dragon Age when there was some cunt at your home campfire telling you to pay EA real world dollars to find out more about what he was advertising. In the fucking game. A dude at your base. Saying, "Pay real dollars!". Fucking immersion man. Fucked that shit up. NOT COOL I DONT LIKE THAT.
Gee, do you think that's why they wanted to have their console always check-in every 24 hours? Fucking hell. BTW EA pulled that same shit with NFS:MW. Gist of the game is you drive around and can pick up cars around the place, almost like jacking in GTA4. BUT, every so often you come across one that you have to fucking pay for.

Load of fucking shit. Stay out of my games.

Edit: And pay-to-progress is in FM5 (according to Sessler)? Jesus Christ, M$.

senahorse

Plenty have said they prefer the PS4 lineup (myself included) but not that they don't acknowledge MS have provided a lot of games on day one, regardless of their quality.

Sure it's a personal preference. And at the end of the day I think they both have very mediocre launch lineups. There are no great first party games, only good at best.

Danoss

I don't know if any of your piercing people might be able to give me advice, but I got an ear piercing on my low helix about... 9 months ago? and it's still incredibly painful if I bump it or it catches on my hair. I can't sleep on my right side because of the discomfort. It's kind of decreasing as time goes on and I like it but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. Are all cartilage earrings supposed to feel this way?

Sorry for the late reply, only just catching up on the thread now.

Cartilage piercings are notoriously slow healing and can take up to 12 months to heal. The reason is that there is very little blood that flows to the area. When you see blood from the piercing procedure, that is actually from the skin that covers the cartilage. A good piercer will produce minimal blood as you can actually see the blood vessels in the ear if you backlight it, so they're easy to avoid.

It doesn't sound infected, just easily irritated and perhaps healing slower than it should. If it was infected, you would know, it'd feel hot to the touch, there'd be pus (most likely green in colour), you'd be aware of it all the time and you would actually feel bodily sick too.

One thing with cartilage piercings is that the jewellery selection is very important. This is the case with all piercings, but I'm emphasising this for cartilage piercings because of the different way they heal. The jewellery gauge should be smaller than the hole that is made, this is to account for the skin that needs to grow over the top of the cartilage between it and the jewellery. If the jewellery is a snug fit at the time of the piercing and after the initial swelling has gone down, it will give you a very hard time. This is aside from the material the jewellery is made from and the quality of it (threading, polish, etc).

Captive bead rings are not a good idea for cartilage piercings because they move on their own a lot more, which increases healing time (as it disturbs newly healed tissue) andthey catch on things more easily. They also force your body to create a curved fistula instead of a straight one, which can also prolong healing. Diameter of the ring will matter too, which has the same effect of a barbell that's too short. I don't think this applies to you as I believe you have a barbell in there, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway.

If it's worrying you, I suggest going to a piercing studio and having it looked at by an experienced piercer. The good ones will be happy to help you, even if they didn't do the piercing themselves, and give you whatever information you need. I believe I pointed you to The Piercing Shop a while ago after speaking to my piercer about reputable places in Brisbane. I forget the name of the head piercer there, but he said she is very good.

Both the launch line-ups look terrible to me but in general i think console gaming has moved away from my tastes. I was so looking forward to this coming gen after the last one went on so long but now that it's here i just can't muster any interest.

On another note is anyone going to a midnight launch? My brother is heading in tonight for his xbox one.

Quasar

Both the launch line-ups look terrible to me but in general i think console gaming has moved away from my tastes.

For me its the whole indy thing that's saved my interest in consoles. If it wasn't for the indy space I'd have no interest in consoles. Well that's a little hypoerbolic. Still it was mostly the likes of Pixeljunk, Housemarque, that game Company and the like (and David Cage) that kept me playing console games.

For me its the whole indy thing that's saved my interest in consoles. If it wasn't for the indy space I'd have no interest in consoles. Well that's a little hypoerbolic. Still it was mostly the likes of Pixeljunk, Housemarque, that game Company and the like (and David Cage) that kept me playing console games.

I was kinda the same last gen with XBLA. I think when i finally do get a next gen console i'll probably spend most of my time with indie games but right now that alone doesn't make me want to go out and buy one.

Jintor

I should've been home at twelve. I'm going to get home at fucking two o clock because of this bullshit. It's not even the track work weekend proper yet. I guess I should just be grateful that they organised replacement buses.

Darklord

Banned
Might be very obviously but If I bought a soundbar for my TV from America would it work fine over here as long as I had a power adapter?

Top Bottom