• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios: Trump is pulling U.S. out of Paris climate deal

Xando

This is a disgrace and poor leadership. Of course a 70 year old and his rich old friends don't care about the climate or the future. They barely have any time left in this world. Fuck them. The fact that much of America supports Republicans, many ignorantly, is astounding. There seems to never be a large shift in power. What will it take for people to wake up and realize that these allegiances are not working in their favour all the time.
America needs a political revolution to get rid of the cancer that is the GOP.
Without it will just slowly continue to fall into chaos and take earth with it.
They aren't even conservatives anymore. More like religious fundamentalist oligarchs

Cairax

Neo Member
General strike would be a good first step for instance. Has that ever happened in the US?
Strike against what exactly? I don't understand the question honestly. If you mean protesting, we do that constantly, but the problem is that it generally goes unnoticed in the end. Another big issue is that many in the US won't protest during the week out of fear of losing their job.

FStubbs

I would not be surprised to see large parts of the USA living by third-world standards within the next decade.

It will be really difficult (and tremendously expensive) to recover from the actions of this clown.

That's by design.

Lautaro

General strike would be a good first step for instance. Has that ever happened in the US?

They don't even know what's that.

Strike against what exactly? I don't understand the question honestly. If you mean protesting, we do that constantly, but the problem is that it generally goes unnoticed in the end. Another big issue is that many in the US won't protest during the week out of fear of losing their job.

Here's the proof.

Protesting for americans is all about making funny signs, sick burns in TV and hashtags. Paralizing parts of the country is too comunist for them.

FStubbs

This is a disgrace and poor leadership. Of course a 70 year old and his rich old friends don't care about the climate or the future. They barely have any time left in this world. Fuck them. The fact that much of America supports Republicans, many ignorantly, is astounding. There seems to never be a large shift in power. What will it take for people to wake up and realize that these allegiances are not working in their favour all the time.

No it's not.

685f28394e2afe6e2a0aab9fd5ad06b7.jpg

This is why the Republicans keep winning. And they deliver on this front, because it's the core of their platform.

Sure, fuck them. But they will still have voting power in America so they can't just be ignored.

Also the oposition is weak as fuck so there's no guarantees americans won't pick other Trump in the future (maybe one a bit more competent and therefore worse).

Sure, I still hope there is some buyers remorse with some Trump supporters and he doesn't get a second term.

But the stubborn ones that still support this and will vote for him again are pretty much a lost cause and will never support a democrat or anyone who is pro climate deals.

leroidys

I shall continue to hold 100% of US citizens responsible for all this shit

no I don't care that you voted for Hillary

I care only about you deposing literally all elected Republicans and banning the ideology from ever holding office again

like, this is a no-brainer

fucking fix it

Best Regards
guy who likes breathing air
How about the Americans that are effectively driving positive climate regulations at the state and local levels?

theWB27

They don't even know what's that.

Here's the proof.

Protesting for americans is all about making funny signs, sick burns in TV and hashtags. Paralizing parts of the country is too comunist for them.

This is Bullshit and sounds like someone just wants to take a shot because of the situation now.

oti

Banned

Oh brother, Greek strike culture would blow your mind.

Sarek

According to the Financial Times EU and China will soon be revealing a new plan to counter US leaving the Paris treaty. Should be carbon tax on all US made products, but I know it won't be.

I'm starting to hear people bring up Climategate now lol.

What's that even supposed to mean?

Morts

Even if greed is the motivation for pulling out, I don't understand who the winners are. From what I've read the giant oil companies are cool with the Paris agreement. Who is Bannon helping?

CrunchyB

Are you crazy? Some people have to work 50-60 hours a day! And do you even understand that the US is a big place and the public transportation system is really lacking? It's impossible!

Seriously though, I don't see it happening. There's just a general apathy regarding politics in the US, just look at the pathetic voter turnout.

oti

Banned
Are you crazy? Some people have to work 50-60 hours a day! And do you even understand that the US is a big place and the public transportation system is really lacking? It's impossible!

Seriously though, I don't see it happening. There's just a general apathy regarding politics in the US, just look at the pathetic voter turnout.

Those references are hot fire.
👏

Lautaro

According to the Financial Times EU and China will soon be revealing a new plan to counter US leaving the Paris treaty. Should be carbon tax on all US made products, but I know it won't be.

I would be so surprised if they did that because sanctioning the US would be expensive and politicians are politicians everywhere (even if they are not as bad as in the US).

Blastoise

Banned
This might be the most dangerous thing any world leader has done in the 21st century.

I don't like being all doom and gloom, but this makes me both angry and scared for our future.

Damaniel

Banned

Most Americans have no job protection (read: unions) and can be fired at will, often without cause. There are tens of millions of people whose jobs would be at risk if they stepped out of line to join a general strike. There have even been cases of employers firing employees for participating in protests (again, perfectly legal since employment is at will in many places). It's nice and all to blame those people for being lazy or unmotivated, but given the choice between protesting the system (which will be ignored by GOP politicians and decried as lazy liberal anarchy by half the population) and losing a job that's often the only thing keeping a roof over their family's head, it's pretty easy to guess which one most people will pick.

SeanTSC

It's really impossible for me to not be extremely angry at this and every single last person who voted Republican and continues to vote Republican. You have to be such a fucking awful person to do so at this point. Just completely morally bankrupt. Seriously, you have to be such a bad fucking person to support that party.

Xando

Most Americans have no job protection (read: unions) and can be fired at will, often without cause. There are tens of millions of people whose jobs would be at risk if they stepped out of line to join a general strike. There have even been cases of employers firing employees for participating in protests (again, perfectly legal since employment is at will in many places). It's nice and all to blame those people for being lazy or unmotivated, but given the choice between protesting the system (which will be ignored by GOP politicians and decried as lazy liberal anarchy by half the population) and losing a job that's often the only thing keeping a roof over their family's head, it's pretty easy to guess which one most people will pick.
So instead of taking part in a strike they should keep working like nice little sheep to keep a roof over their families head only so their families can be hit by climate change 50 years later.

Sounds very short sighted. And more like fuck you got mine instead of taking care of my family. (Not attacking you here)

What's that even supposed to mean?

Climategate was when in 2009 the East Anglia University emails were hacked for their Climate Research Unit. They basically claimed the emails showed evidence that climate change was a hoax and that scientists manipulated data.

Beartruck

So instead of taking part in a strike they should keep working like nice little sheep to keep a roof over their families head only so their families can be hit by climate change 50 years later.

Sounds very short sighted. And more like fuck you got mine instead of taking care of my family. (Not attacking you here)
Shortsighted would be risking getting fired.

Zolo

If you can't be sympathetic to people losing their jobs, it doesn't sound like they're the only ones with a 'fuck you got mine' attitude.

tbm24

I shall continue to hold 100% of US citizens responsible for all this shit

no I don't care that you voted for Hillary

I care only about you deposing literally all elected Republicans and banning the ideology from ever holding office again

like, this is a no-brainer

fucking fix it

Best Regards
guy who likes breathing air
I think it's only fair for you to state where you're from before you shit on all Americans unilaterally.

oti

Banned

That's pretty shitty. But hashtag campaigns on twitter or calling Trump "45" won't change anything at all.

Don't be like that.

The silver lining is that California, which is home to 1 of every 8 Americans, has vowed to honor the agreement no matter what Trump does. Regardless, this is incredibly stupid and petty.

theWB27

It is, and this basically brings the thread full circle lol. He's just a step away from calling us lazy slobs like some did earlier in the thread.

I try to stay out of these threads for that reason. To say Americans have/ are not doing anything is ignorant to say the least.

The thaught that Trump hates Obama so much that he just wants to do the opposite of what he did at the cost of humanity just weirds me out.

Damaniel

Banned
I try to stay out of these threads for that reason. To say Americans have/ are not doing anything is ignorant to say the least.

And the people who blame us for our 'funny' non-protest protests are generally from countries where labor is strongly protected. I'm sure it's great to be all high and mighty when you live in a country with most people in unions or otherwise protected by law, but if the choice is between an ineffectual general strike that does absolutely nothing and makes me and my family homeless, and choosing to protest in other ways, then I don't see that as 'fuck you, got mine', I see that as 'the way it is in America'. We work within the system we have, and our system is set up (by design, no doubt) to make widespread, European-style general strikes impossible.

Supast4r

It's the return of the Johnson administration.

220px-President_Andrew_Johnson.jpg

Did everything in it's power to erase Lincoln's legacy and let the Confederacy regain power in the South after it was defeated by letting it's leaders be elected to office. It was like the US never won the war, and his ramifications are still being felt to this day.
And this is why Johnson is the worst president that America has ever had. Even though James Buchanan sid nothing to stop the civil war from happening, Johnsons policies are still felt to this day by Americans.

_Ryo_

GOP/Trump are pure evil. Care for no one or anything except for money and themselves. Their family/childrens futures? Fuck it. The health of the very earth they live on? Fuck it. Fucking over everyone for $$$? Where do I sign!?

Just pure scum.

Carn82

It would be hilarious if the USA announces to leave the agreement, followed by the EU, China and India announcing extra taxes on American goods, followed by the USA canceling the leave.

It would be hilarious if the USA announces to leave the agreement, followed by the EU, China and India announcing extra taxes on American goods, followed by the USA canceling the leave.

I don't think the US would come back(under Trump), but if he did-he'd probably receive a lot of praise for it which he is desperately seeking right now

theWB27

And the people who blame us for our 'funny' non-protest protests are generally from countries where labor is strongly protected. I'm sure it's great to be all high and mighty when you live in a country with most people in unions or otherwise protected by law, but if the choice is between an ineffectual general strike that does absolutely nothing and makes me and my family homeless, and choosing to protest in other ways, then I don't see that as 'fuck you, got mine', I see that as 'the way it is in America'. We work within the system we have, and our system is set up (by design, no doubt) to make widespread, European-style general strikes impossible.

Pretty much this. There are many people who literally can't afford to miss work no matter how much they want to be out there.

Top Bottom