• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios: Trump is pulling U.S. out of Paris climate deal

Morts

I still don't understand who stands to benefit from the US withdrawing. Can someone point me towards a summary of the arguments against the climate deal? With even Exxon's Tillerson in the 'remain' camp, I don't understand where the pressure is coming from.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand who stands to benefit from the US withdrawing. Can someone point me towards a summary of the arguments against the climate deal? With even Exxon's Tillerson in the 'remain' camp, I don't understand where the pressure is coming from.

The pressure is coming from the hot air between Trump's ears. This imbecile legitimately thinks climate change is not real, so he doesn't see a point in "wasting money" to combat it.

Destabilizing the US as it's on way to becoming an energy behemoth is good for putin.

Tillerson is that cash money whore. Putin is in that super power game.

Trump's base loves when he gives the middle finger to literally everywhere else in the world. They seem to have this weird complex where if it pisses everyone else off, that must mean that they somehow stand to benefit. As if the other parties involved could only be angry because they got muscled out of a deal or something, and not because it's just a genuinely dumb decision.

RPGCrazied

Mr.Shrugglesツ;238764162 said:
Destabilizing the US as it's on way to becoming an energy behemoth is good for putin.

Tillerson is that cash money whore. Putin is in that super power game.

Odd though, he wants to stay in. Its Bannon that wants to leave.

mAcOdIn

They've been shouting climate change is a conspiracy and a way for the US to lose its' sovereignty for so long that not pulling out for them probably would look terrible to the people they've peddled this nonsense to.

You're right, I'm sure Comey will just spill all the beans and ruin the investigation.
Describing what Trump said to him at dinner visa ve, wanting him to end the investigation isn't going to cause Mueller any problems. Because that isn't classified and he already documented it.

But I'm sure he held out for a public hearing just to go 'no comment' to any and all questions about his conversations with the President.

You're right, I'm sure Comey will just spill all the beans and ruin the investigation.
Your right that he won't speak about the investigation itself. I fully expect him to set the record straight on the memos, Trumps bullshit claims about Comey assuring him that he wasn't under investigation three times and that Trump pushed him to drop the investigation. All three of those items are bombshells in and of themselves and will dominate the news cycles for weeks.

He doesn't need to comment on the nuts and bolts of the investigations to answer questions about those specific issues.

Morts

It's just that usually with this sort of debate there's some corporate interests pushing for one side or the other, and I'm not hearing about that here.

cdyhybrid

Describing what Trump said to him at dinner visa ve, wanting him to end the investigation isn't going to cause Mueller any problems. Because that isn't classified and he already documented it.

But I'm sure he held out for a public hearing just to go 'no comment' to any and all questions about his conversations with the President.

Like I said, nothing. We already know Trump was out of line in his conversations with Comey. He might confirm stuff that's already been reported, that's it.

Just don't say you weren't warned when his hearing doesn't bring the world crashing down around you.

greepoman

This is people's argument at work. What would be a good response if someone used this argument?

I'm guessing the misleading thing about this is it doesn't account for the degrees you stopped from increasing. So it leaves off the fact..."keep current trajectory & increase 3 degrees" or something. So just keeping it the same would be a big deal...and well worth the money even though they try to imply otherwise.

Like I said, nothing. We already know Trump was out of line in his conversations with Comey. He might confirm stuff that's already been reported, that's it.

Just don't say you weren't warned when his hearing doesn't bring the world crashing down around you.

I agree that expectations should be tempered but the fired former director of the FBI giving sworn testimony "confirming what's been reported" is hardly "nothing" when what's been reported is pretty damning. I mean I get the need to minimalize the situation (and as noted, I agree that we shouldn't expect Trump in shackles by the end of it) but there is the danger of going to the opposite extreme here.

I'm only disagreeing with your ridiculous claim that Coney isn't going to say shit. I don't expect to see Trump in shackles anytime soon if ever. But I am sick of people saying 'nothing will happen' when things keep happening.

Maengun1

Trump and others standing in the way of progress on climate deserve the nazi comparisons and worse at this point. Unchecked runaway climate change could mean the death of billions as well as basically the end of civilization as we know it in the future.

But it's still a far off thing in most peoples minds and it will never be as clear cut as one person directly murdering another, so people will by and large continue to shrug it off.

edit: and the real kicker to all this is pulling out of the deal isn't even good business. This is LITERALLY just spite, "take that libtards," and nothing else.

Sorry guys i suck at doing these twitter pics:

Elon Musk saying he did everything he could to convince to remain in Paris deal.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/869970236669177856

Here saying he would pull out of council if it happens
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/869971423455924224

Should have worked twice a hard Mr. Musk.

But seriously they care more about their own palms getting greased then the benefit of the country. It's why lobbying and things politics had to go to go. It weakens the country.

oti

Banned

SilentRob

Today's newspaper headline in germany:

lsuDFm0.jpg

"Earth to Trump: Fuck you!"

I'm only hoping for one thing at this point.

Trump announces he is NOT pulling out, then goes on about fake news regarding him pulling out.
I actually expect this just for how dumb it is. Seems like Trump level strategy - leak to press you are going to pull out, then don't in an attempt to discredit the press. I'd love to see how Trump followers retract their love of leaving if he did this.

Nah, he'll probably just leave.

CTLance

The subtitle goes one step further.

One of the most important treaties in the history of mankind; 195 countries committed themselves in 2015 to save the planet for the sake of our children. However, now the man in the White House is opposing project hope. Is he turning into a threat to us all?

That said, Berliner Kurier is a rather small time newspaper (disclaimer: I'm only guessing that image is from the Berliner Kurier). Still, they're really going in on him.

fireflame

Whys is Reagan impopular in USA? In our history books at school the lessons insisted on his ability to boost the economy, strengthen the power of USA during the end of Cold War, and launch the anti missile shield program.

Red

why are people getting pissy with Musk being on a council trying to steer Trump in correct directions?
Who knows really. It seems like some people are convinced that anyone associated with Trump in any way has tainted himself. Even if he is trying to exert whatever influence he can to steer things in the right direction. It should be obvious that not everyone around Trump shares his failings or his malfeasance, and that many would rather someone else be in charge. But they still do what they can to hold course. It's important they do that. Much worse to have no opposition.

ericexpo

Whys is Reagan impopular in USA? In our history books at school the lessons insisted on his ability to boost the economy, strengthen the power of USA during the end of Cold War, and launch the anti missile shield program.

At the same time he cut a lot of public programs such closing all the mental hospitals flooding the streets with mental unstable people.

This is expected, as it has been one of his most vocal commitments. And it further highlights why he can't be allowed to remain in power. He is a dangerous dickhead.

Tovarisc

How EO from 28th or March, Promoting Energy Independence and Economic Growth, has already affected PA?

------
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy. (a) It is in the national interest to promote clean and safe development of our Nation's vast energy resources, while at the same time avoiding regulatory burdens that unnecessarily encumber energy production, constrain economic growth, and prevent job creation. Moreover, the prudent development of these natural resources is essential to ensuring the Nation's geopolitical security.

(b) It is further in the national interest to ensure that the Nation's electricity is affordable, reliable, safe, secure, and clean, and that it can be produced from coal, natural gas, nuclear material, flowing water, and other domestic sources, including renewable sources.

(c) Accordingly, it is the policy of the United States that executive departments and agencies (agencies) immediately review existing regulations that potentially burden the development or use of domestically produced energy resources and appropriately suspend, revise, or rescind those that unduly burden the development of domestic energy resources beyond the degree necessary to protect the public interest or otherwise comply with the law.

(d) It further is the policy of the United States that, to the extent permitted by law, all agencies should take appropriate actions to promote clean air and clean water for the American people, while also respecting the proper roles of the Congress and the States concerning these matters in our constitutional republic.

(e) It is also the policy of the United States that necessary and appropriate environmental regulations comply with the law, are of greater benefit than cost, when permissible, achieve environmental improvements for the American people, and are developed through transparent processes that employ the best available peer-reviewed science and economics.
Full EO: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...r-promoting-energy-independence-and-economi-1

Fun fact: There is already 4 pages of EOs on WH website.

KingK

Reagan in many ways began the radicalisation of the GOP that we see today. Trump is like Reagan on steroids, they are actually very similar.

He didn't boost the economy, he popularized and brainwashed a generation into believing "trickle down," a theory that giving tax cuts to the wealthy and cutting social programs for the poor is good for the economy. The theory has been proven wrong through empirical studies multiple times over, but it remains the modus operandi of the Republican party to this day.

Reagan was also a racist piece of shit who popularized a lot of the common racist political dog whistles (welfare queens). He pushed policies in his "war on drugs" and slashing of social programs with the goal of disproportionately locking up and financially ravaging minority people and families. One of his first campaign speeches was about "states rights" (the rallying cry of those opposed to civil rights in the 60s) less than 7 miles from the site where civil rights workers had been murdered by racists.

Then there's also the Iran-Contra scandal, which you really should just look up because it's so ridiculous he got away with it.

Basically, many of the worst aspects of the Republican party today can be traced to Reagan. Yet he's been propped up as some sort of mythical Jesus figure by his party, and the media largely goes along with it, so most (white people) in America have a favorable opinion of him.

Top Bottom