• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Begins - When You Make Yourself More Than a Man 10 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Funny time, we just had Batman Forever's 20th anniversary last week.

And in super last minute writing, today June 15th marks the 10th anniversary of Batman Begins, which was the reboot of the Batman franchise after.... well you know

So thoughts? Opinions? Comments and concerns on this film?

Many of you probably know of these, but was a fun read.

All the Batman movies they tried (and failed) to make in-between well THAT movie and Begins

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...r/news+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Top+Stories)

VoxPop

2nd best Batman movie. Totally reinvigorated the franchise and helped deliver one of if not the best the best superhero sequel of all time.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Great start to a memorable trilogy and my 2nd favorite Batman movie of all time.

That ending yo
batman-begins-joker-card-thumb-330x184-108370.jpeg

I remember when this movie was "okay. pretty decent. That voice was fucking dumb and you couldn't understand ANYTHING that was happening in ANY of the fight scenes. Also Batman killed like 15 people"

And now it's "Best Batman movie there ever was"

Time and hindsight can be a good friend to interesting movies.

Penguin

I remember when this movie was "okay. pretty decent. That voice was fucking dumb and you couldn't understand ANYTHING that was happening in ANY of the fight scenes. Also Batman killed like 15 people"

Is there a movie Batman who doesn't kill people?

Best of the three for me. It made dressing as a bat seem a legitimate way to fight crime. That's how good it was.

It made me love Batman so hard.

Betty

Banned
The best superhero origin movie.

The best example of how to reboot a franchise.

The start of the best comic book trilogy.

Is there a movie Batman who doesn't kill people?

Actually, I believe the only Batman movie where he's not directly responsible for anyone's death is Batman & Robin. He straight up kills a bunch of people in Burton's two movies, he purposefully tricks Two-Face to his death in Forever, and he kills at least one person in all of Nolan's films.

Superman: The Movie is the only Superman film that doesn't feature Superman killing anyone. All the others feature Superman committing at least one murder and/or accidental death.

Back then Forever and B&R left me sour on Batman films. I reluctantly caught it with friends some weeks after it opened and loved it.

DMczaf

After AoU and Jurassic World, I miss Nolan's summer blockbusters :(

It was a simpler, pre-Tumblr fanboy time, friends.

The first half hour (until Bruce flies back)...This is why man invented cinema. What an amazing, glorious segment. Rest of the movie fails to follow up the first 30 or so minutes, but certainly make the best suerhero origin movie ever.

Still my favorite Batman film for many reasons - one being that it's the only one where Gotham truly looked and felt like Gotham, rather than the blue tint Chicago we saw in the sequels.

To be fair, we still can't understand anything that was happening in any of the fight scenes...

Honestly one of the best films in Nolan's catalogue...I loved it. And I think we have to credit it with the Modern Day Superhero renaissance.

Yep. Isn't over run with nonsense like TDK and isn't just plain dumb like TDKR.

Well I mean there's an ancient ninja conspiracy to destroy civilisations when they meet some arbitrary standard of decadence and they have enormous resources at their disposal. Their plan is to destroy Gotham by attaching a microwave emitter to a train that boils water instantly without harming humans to evaporate the whole city's water supply after filling it with a fear toxin that makes everyone pee-pee pants scared. Batman fights off the league of nefarious shadowy mysterious people and saves the city while allowing Ras to die because of a flimsy interpretation of his own moral code that he's not going to follow for the rest of the series. Meanwhile Bruce Wayne defeats a takeover attempt of Wayne enterprises by somehow buying all of his own company's stocks(?) using Alfred at some point. Must have had A LOT of liquid assets to be able to do that I suppose. Stupid gadgets / improbable tech: bat sonar summoner; microwave emitter.

It's got a lot of nonsense in the movie. The only real complaint I have with TDK is that the cell phone tech thing is pretty stupid and the Joker's plots are too elaborately well planned and executed for me to buy his talk of being mr chaos and not having plans. Otherwise it's far less "comic bookey" than the first movie is.

Penguin

Well I mean there's an ancient ninja conspiracy to destroy civilisations when they meet some arbitrary standard of decadence and they have enormous resources at their disposal. Their plan is to destroy Gotham by attaching a microwave emitter to a train that boils water instantly without harming humans to evaporate the whole city's water supply after filling it with a fear toxin that makes everyone pee-pee pants scared. Batman fights off the league of nefarious shadowy mysterious people and saves the city while allowing Ras to die because of a flimsy interpretation of his own moral code that he's not going to follow for the rest of the series. Meanwhile Bruce Wayne defeats a takeover attempt of Wayne enterprises by somehow buying all of his own company's stocks(?) using Alfred at some point. Must have had A LOT of liquid assets to be able to do that I suppose. Stupid gadgets / improbable tech: bat sonar summoner; microwave emitter.

It's got a lot of nonsense in the movie. The only real complaint I have with TDKR is that the cell phone tech thing is pretty stupid and the Joker's plots are too elaborately well planned and executed for me to buy his talk of being mr chaos and not having plans. Otherwise it's far less "comic bookey" than the first movie is.

TDK

Not TDKR

Don't ban me!

I remember when its opening week take failed to match Mr. and Mrs. Smith's first week gross prior and people were saying the franchise is finished.

Although to be totally fair, I believe the word of mouth grew much more with the home release.

inm8num2

I remember being super excited that the director of Memento and Insomnia was doing a Batman reboot with the guy who was in American Psycho and Newsies. I had moderate expectations, but the results were amazing. The movie makes you care quite a bit about Bruce, and that's the main reason it works so well.

massoluk

Banned
Instead of just fucking outright planning Ra's death trap, I seriously think the movie would have been a genuine classic if Batman just fucking tried to save Ra's at the end and failed, like trying grab Ra's hand and they slipped out.

That's my only complaint.

Sojgat

Nolan's best Batman movie.

I really don't like it. First 30 minutes are pretty good, but when Baleman shows up it turns to shit. Was so hyped for it as well.

Tansut

Best Batman movie, helped in part by also having the best live-action Batsuit ever.*

*Until Batman vs Superman drops

zma1013

I love the docks scene in the movie when we get the first true reveal of Batman. It plays out like a horror movie.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I find the movie to be very boring overall.

But I do really love all of the stuff at the beginning of the movie.

Skunkers

Actually, I believe the only Batman movie where he's not directly responsible for anyone's death is Batman & Robin. He straight up kills a bunch of people in Burton's two movies, he purposefully tricks Two-Face to his death in Forever, and he kills at least one person in all of Nolan's films.

Superman: The Movie is the only Superman film that doesn't feature Superman killing anyone. All the others feature Superman committing at least one murder and/or accidental death.

Isn't that the one where Lois Lane dies because Superman was saving a small town during the earthquake? And then he flew against the's Earth's direction to go back in time so he could save Lois? What happened to the town, Superman?

VaLiancY

That Batmobile going stealth was the best part of watching it in the movies. You hear this loud fucking rumble and then it goes pitch black.

Penguin

Isn't that the one where Lois Lane dies because Superman was saving a small town during the earthquake? And then he flew against the's Earth's direction to go back in time so he could save Lois? What happened to the town, Superman?

It's one of those mysteries

He goes back in time, but either he didn't get the 2nd bomb (which he got first) or.. yeah not sure

All true but in comparison to the two sequels it's fantastic.

The first 60 minutes are the best 60 minutes of an American blockbuster since Empire.

It's actually not a movie. It's an inspirational / motivational reel.

And the best Batman movie is the Dark Knight Rises , but i'll leave that for another thread. One day.

ElTopo

Banned
I like the first hour but hate the second hour. If it ended right when he became Batman and tied that one criminal to the spotlight then it would have been great. I thought Rachel was not a very interesting character, neither was Ras Al'Ghoul or his plan (I'm sorry, I'm not going to Google how to spell check his name right now) and the worst part about it is that Scarecrow is terribly underused. Scarecrow has only 2-3 really stand out scenes before he's easily taken out. He's one of the more known Batman villains and he's taken out with a taser by the love interest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom