• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Begins - When You Make Yourself More Than a Man 10 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though it tends to get overshadowed by the sequels (and rightfully so, Begins is the least interesting of the trilogy), with the benefit of hindsight I'd say this movie is pretty damn good both as groundwork for the series and as a stand-alone work.

The way it introduces Bruce Wayne as, y'know, Bruce Wayne, and then shows us how he transitions into his role as the dark knight of Gotham is exemplary of how to do a superhero origin story. First show us the man behind the mask, then show us why he puts it on, and why he chooses his particular identity. Bruce chooses a bat because it embodies his own fears and insecurities, and by mastering his mind he is able to control his fear and turn it into a weapon. Besides being true to the comics, it's just really good characterization. I can actually take this seriously.

And compared to what came before it, a Batman that can be taken seriously must have seemed like food for the starving.

nilbog21

Banned
begins304.jpg

Favorite scene.

greatest-masked-villains-u1.jpg

Dabanton

Still the best modern Batman movie hands down. I love the TDK and the less said about the TDKR the better, but BB stands the test of time for me.

Everything was on point, even Katie Holmes.

And that ending,oh that ending the sold out IMAX crowd, I saw it with went crazy when we saw the card.

deleted

I don't think my opinion on a movie has changed as much over time as it has with Batman Begins. I loved it the first few times I saw it (I liked it better than the Dark Knight). I tried watching it again a year or two ago and didn't like it at all. The dialogue, the fight scenes, Katie Holmes' performance, every line is repeated constantly, etc.

Complete opposite for me.

I loved the campy Batmans as a child and was somewhat disappointed with Begins on my first view. No camp, tanky Batmobile... Not what I wanted tbh. And the movie felt somewhat uneven with the last third. Like it was hanging in between generations of comic book movies.

After watching it again though, I can appreciate the movie so much more. The first 2 thirds are utterly fantastic. Amazing even. The last third still isn't for me, but I tend to like it nowadays.

Sorcerer

Batman Begins is fantastic.

How Nolan gets the origin story so right in the time allotted and a little bit of Batman growing into his role is remarkable. So well paced.

It's something I still marvel at and it requires me to re-watch to see exactly how he did it.

Also Liam Neeson is incredible and Katie Holmes gets unnecessarily slagged. She was fine, especially when you consider what an incredible cast she was in the middle of.

Batman Begins is fantastic.

How Nolan gets the origin story so right in the time allotted and a little bit of Batman growing into his role is remarkable. So well paced.

It's something I still marvel at and it requires me to re-watch to see exactly how he did it.

Also Liam Neeson is incredible and Katie Holmes gets unnecessarily slagged. She was fine, especially when you consider what an incredible cast she was in the middle of.

Yeah, I thought she was fine as well.

TDK is more iconic and an overall better made movie, but i still definitely love Begins. Just love all of the scenes with Bruce training. Neeson made for such a great Ra's too.

Looking back and i love how GAF wrote it off as a bomba just from it's opening weekend numbers lmao. Interesting to read

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52263

I'd wondered when the Comic Book movie boom might start to die down. This might be the beginning.

It sure doesn't bode well for Fantastic Four.

this quote is from 10 years ago. lol. people have been saying superhero movies are over for a decade now.

Penguin

TDK is more iconic and an overall better made movie, but i still definitely love Begins. Just love all of the scenes with Bruce training. Neeson made for such a great Ra's too.

Looking back and i love how GAF wrote it off as a bomba just from it's opening weekend numbers lmao. Interesting to read

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52263

this quote is from 10 years ago. lol. people have been saying superhero movies are over for a decade now.

That was an interesting look back

Oh Wilco

I remember the 10 minute preview they attached with a Smallville episode and I thought it looked all kinds of awful.

Decided to give the DVD a watch anyways, and...immediately was in love with it. Almost wanted to give it a standing ovation.

effzee

I think this was the best experience I've ever had at a theater.

First time I followed a film's production from finalizing director to casting to stills to leaked costume. And all for by favorite character.

It was also the first IMAX movie I've ever seen. And then to see it come together so well! The origins was handled so perfectly I still love to watch it. The music, the way it was put together, the look, and feel.

I never thought Batman could be revived on film. People might forget cause of how popular Batman is currently but it was a dead franchise.

The sequels and other comic book movies might have surpassed the budget, effects, and done many other things better but this one holds such a special place in my heart. I remember leaving the theater. I went to see it with some non comic book fans and they were all like wow that was just a good film not just a good superhero movie but good.

Oh and that ending! Favorite out of my favorite trilogy.

I think this was the best experience I've ever had at a theater.

First time I followed a film's production from finalizing director to casting to stills to leaked costume. And all for by favorite character.

It was also the first IMAX movie I've ever seen. And then to see it come together so well! The origins was handled so perfectly I still love to watch it. The music, the way it was put together, the look, and feel.

I never thought Batman could be revived on film. People might forget cause of how popular Batman is currently but it was a dead franchise.

The sequels and other comic book movies might have surpassed the budget, effects, and done many other things better but this one holds such a special place in my heart. I remember leaving the theater. I went to see it with some non comic book fans and they were all like wow that was just a good film not just a good superhero movie but good.

Oh and that ending! Favorite out of my favorite trilogy.

Yep, I saw it in the theatre too ... I honestly just sat there with the biggest and goofiest smile on my face when I saw that we were finally getting the Batman movie we deserved.

One of my most fondest theatre experiences.

Best in the series, though I do love all 3. I feel TDKR gets more hate than it deserved, I enjoyed the 'Dark Knight Returns' old man Bruce vibe to it.

Also loved Tom Hardy's Bane.

There I said it.

Ahasverus

Also loved Tom Hardy's Bane.

There I said it.
No lies detected, Bane was amazing. Pure fear.
That Forbes article
I can’t help but think that in today’s environment a small-scale success like Batman Begins would have ended up being revamped into a Batman/Superman team-up picture which in turn would operate as a backdoor Justice League pilot. Oh wait…
The Shade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom