• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman V Superman’ Takes A Dive With -70% Second Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snyder (and WB) went into this with a wrong headed approach and now it's backfiring. His vision was destined to torpedo this franchise from the start. I understand WB wanted to take a different approach than Marvel, but this isn't the way to do it. They desperately need someone at the helm of this universe who understand these characters.

Indiscriminately making every element of your universe dark, brooding, and depressing does not automatically make it more mature. Being 'different' for the sake of being different does not automatically yield a better product. This movie reinforced every negative opinion I had about Snyder's direction. It seems the movie going audience at large is now catching on too.

Yup.

I think people who think BvS won't adversely impact SS and WW at the box office are probably a bit naive.

Mrbob

The quickest way to kill my enthusiasm about DC movies is to turn them into MCU movies where they are cracking jokes in the middle of "life or death" fights. There's a place for light hearted CBMs but if we're getting that from both DC and Marvel count me out.

No joking during fights wasn't the problem. I didn't hate the movie, but it was paced awfully. I mean what the hell at those dream sequences? On top of this the movie would move from one area to the next without any reason and it became confusing what was going on. Plus it felt like the movie was strangling you from the beginning to the end. It doesn't need to be a joke fest but there should at least be some levity in it.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I'm still baffled that someone could so completely and utterly fuck up a Batman v Superman movie!!

Like, the two biggest and most popular superheroes of all time, in a movie together, and it bombs. I'm flabbergasted.

rrc1594

1ghlol.jpg

Never gets old

ReiGun

Yup.

I think people who think BvS won't adversely impact SS and WW at the box office are probably a bit naive.

It probably will, but I imagine expectations for them are much lower as well. I can't imagine there isn't a lower bar of success for both at WB headquarters. And it's not like SS or WW are going to out and out bomb just off the basis of people not liking BvS.

Assuming both are good, they'll probably make less than they would have if reception to BvS better though. That much I agree with.

The bottom line is that they can't be shelling out 200m+ for the rest of the movies slated. It's a recipe for huge disaster.

Coming straight out to BvS and then trying to sell the lesser movies means they needed to make sure that BvS was a sure fire hit on all cylinders and they failed on that.

Now they need the stand alone films to work as damage control and bring the franchise back up. They definitely put themselves in a hole.

I think it's time to ask ourselves why Superman works better in trailers than movies.

Love Supes, but there's something about him that doesn't translate to movies.

Veelk

Banned

It's because I love DC's heroes that I want to see this interpretation of DC crash and burn to ashes. I'm sure that some of the creators felt very passionate in trying to make a good movie and put their hearts into the movie and I'm glad that it found it's place in with some fans. But everything I love about Batman and Superman has been absent in both movies show thus far, and I refuse to reward them with any more money and I would hope that others would do the same if they feel similarly. Batman and Superman, the characters themselves, will survive this, and we'll eventually see new movies. I'd rather see those films sooner than later, and for that, Snyder's verse has to end.

WB should either do it right, or not do it at all.

Kin5290

No joking during fights wasn't the problem. I didn't hate the movie, but it was paced awfully. I mean what the hell at those dream sequences? On top of this the movie would move from one area to the next without any reason and it became confusing what was going on. Plus it felt like the movie was strangling you from the beginning to the end. It doesn't need to be a joke fest but there should at least be some levity in it.
Hell, it wasn't a joke, but at least Wonder Woman looked like she was having a good time going toe to toe against the cave troll instead of being Scowly McSeriousFace 100% of the time.

The quickest way to kill my enthusiasm about DC movies is to turn them into MCU movies where they are cracking jokes in the middle of "life or death" fights. There's a place for light hearted CBMs but if we're getting that from both DC and Marvel count me out.

pretty sure the MCU didn't invent that.

you can easily find the same thing in Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin. You can find them in the Fox movies. You can find them in the movies Sony made with the marvel license.

The Nolan films were the EXCEPTION. not the rule. Having the entire DCU cinematic universe try to ape them is why you end up with the disaster that was BvS.

Hell, it wasn't a joke, but at least Wonder Woman looked like she was having a good time going toe to toe against the cave troll instead of being Scowly McSeriousFace 100% of the time.

It felt like I could breathe for the first time in the movie when she smiled.

I think it's time to ask ourselves why Superman works better in trailers than movies.

He worked perfectly fine in superman Returns. Very well actually

It was certain story decisions that didn't help that. I think WB fucked up rebooting it. They should have let it grow into a successful franchise like Nolan's Batman

Obviously it wouldn't be as good but I think a sequel would be much improved

you can easily find the same thing in Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin. You can find them in the Fox movies. You can find them in the movies Sony made with the marvel license.

The Nolan films were the EXCEPTION. not the rule. Having the entire DCU cinematic universe try to ape them is why you end up with the disaster that was BvS.

I disagree, cannot remember Keaton cracking jokes, and BvS is nothing like the Nolan 's movies.

That's just it, Purple Man was thinking too small. He could have just waltzed over to the New Avengers facility (probably by bus or taxi), took control of some heavy-hitters like Scarlet Witch, come back to Hell's Kitchen & have the place live up to the name.
Thor went back to Asgard, & I'm not sure if Vision could be affected by Purple Man's mind control.

It kind of misses the point of Kilgrave anyways.

So I just finished the film:

Got to hand it to Snyder, I didn't think it was possible to make a 2.5 hour film feel both plodding and rushed at the same time, yet that is exactly what BvS is.

Every single criticism was spot on.

I do NOT understand why so many love Batfleck. He looks the part, but the script gave him NOTHING to work with

Gal Gadot was also passable at best as WW. Again, script gave her nothing.

Action scenes were nowhere near good enough to help this trash.

Eisenberg was even worse than I thought. Someone literally saw Carey in Batman Forever and said "Yeah, we need more of that!"

The ending. LMFAO at the ending.

3/10. Said score might go lower. The more I think about this shit, the angrier I get.

Supes deserves better.

Batman deserves better.

DC fans deserve better.

Henkka

Banned

Nolan's films worked because you only had the Batman taking on relatively grounded enemies.

When you take that tone, make it even darker, and then add a superhuman alien with a red cape who shoots lasers out of his eyes, well, it goes to shit.

Beefy

Got to hand it to Snyder, I didn't think it was possible to make a 2.5 hour film feel both plodding and rushed at the same time, yet that is exactly what BvS is.

I do NOT understand why so many love Batfleck. He looks the part, but the script gave him NOTHING to work with

Eisenberg was even worse than I thought. Someone literally saw Carey in Batman Forever and said "Yeah, we need more of that!"

3/10.

Yep.

3/10. Said score might go lower. The more I think about this shit, the angrier I get.

Supes deserves better.

Batman deserves better.

DC fans deserve better

That is where I am as well.

tomtom94

Nolan's films worked because you only had the Batman taking on relatively grounded enemies.

I was about to say "what, you include Rises in that?" and then I realised that that explains a lot about why I consider Rises the weakest film of the trilogy.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?

It's so easy to blame the character(s) but that's hogwash. I know it annoys some people, but it's the perfect example -- Marvel has released, and has slated, movies starring heroes with some of the most ridiculous backdrops.

Nah. It's possible, you just need a creative team behind the scenes who truly understand and care about these characters.

Supes deserves better.

Batman deserves better.

DC fans deserve better.

The Wonder Woman praise baffles me too. She does so little in the movie, I barely consider her a character. Now if you would swap out all the Lane scenes for more Wonder Woman...

And yeah, agree on Affleck too, his performance wasn't bad at all, but it didn't feel very engaging either.

When you take that tone, make it even darker, and then add a superhuman alien with a red cape who shoots lasers out of his eyes, well, it goes to shit.

I think superpowered characters have been working in plenty of stories (comics), I doubt there is the issue. I don't think that part idea of the movie was not too bad, when it is grim and you want to question whether Superman is too powerful. But they screwed it up so bad.

He worked perfectly fine in superman Returns. Very well actually

It was certain story decisions that didn't help that. I think WB fucked up rebooting it. They should have let it grow into a successful franchise like Nolan's Batman

Obviously it wouldn't be as good but I think a sequel would be much improved

Not sure about that. Then again it's hard to feel inspiring when the villain is a literal real estate scheme.

Superman is all about the iconography. But a lot of times these directors conflate the ideals of Superman with those of Christ. it's a real bummer.

It's so easy to blame the character(s) but that's hogwash. I know it annoys some people, but it's the perfect example -- Marvel has released, and has slated, movies starring heroes with some of the most ridiculous backdrops.

Nah. It's possible, you just need a creative team behind the scenes who truly understand and care about these characters.

I've always felt that the best Superman movie should be about us, about people, and not about him.
There's nothing aspirational about the Superman we've been given on screen.

I liked the movie but it's pretty clear Snyder has to go. Postpone JL and focus on a Batfleck movie. I wanted to see it again today but couldn't get anyone to go with me. Word of mouth is friggin vicious even among people who aren't on the internet all the time.

Thanks a lot, Nolan. >:-(

Dalek

Supes deserves better.

Batman deserves better.

DC fans deserve better.

This was exactly what I said. It felt exhausting and boring at the same time-I've never felt that before in a movie.

"You weigh a little more than 108"

went to IMDB since I wasn't sure, but

Vicki Vale: [distracting Joker] Mr. Joker, you say such beautiful things. Oh, you're so powerful. And purple! Oh, I love purple.
Batman: Excuse me.
[Joker looks]
Batman: Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
[punches him]

Keaton LITERALLY waits to drop a one liner on the joker before punching his lights out.

The problem with BvS was more its treatment of the lead characters and main themes than its attempt to shoehorn in a bunch of universe-building (which was bad roughly on the level of when Iron Man 2/Age of Ultron did it), but it's pretty obvious that Suicide Squad is also going to be responsible for lifting a lot of that weight.

I wonder what the odds are that Wonder Woman is *also* going to have to establish a lot of broader-DCU stuff that's incidental to its own plot. I sure hope it's an extremely standalone origin story and that they understand how important it is to nail Diana as a character AND to tell people her backstory (everyone's aware of Wonder Woman but also knows like nothing about her except a vague sense of her powers).

I was about to say "what, you include Rises in that?" and then I realised that that explains a lot about why I consider Rises the weakest film of the trilogy.

Bane is a lot, lot, lot more grounded than some of the characters in BvS. I don't see any way he isn't grounded actually comparing him to his comic counterpart.

Alienous

I struggle to have sympathy for their failure in making a good movie.

They had the entirety of 75 years of history to pull from and they decided they'd take visuals instead of substance. They were only ever a comic book away from saying "Oh, that's how you do Superman", "Oh, that's why he's interesting".

Them ignoring the core a multiple iconic characters, and trying to sell me the next movie while I'm watching this one without even the courtesy of pretending it's anything other than an advertisement, resulted in them deservedly fucking up. You prioritized 'building a universe' over making a good film and what do you have now?

Supes deserves better.

Batman deserves better.

DC fans deserve better.

100%.

MutFox

Banned
Still haven't seen it...

Will watch the Directors Cut,
not wasting my time on the theatrical release.

Only want to see it once.

Henkka

Banned
I think superpowered characters have been working in plenty of stories (comics), I doubt there is the issue. I don't think that part idea of the movie was not too bad, when it is grim and you want to question whether Superman is too powerful. But they screwed it up so bad.

To be honest, I've not read the comics. So I don't really know how the Justice league works in them.

But because the tone is so light in Marvel movies, I can buy Black Widow fighting alongside Thor in a way I can't buy Batman fighting alongside Superman in the dark and gloomy BvS. See what I mean? Maybe there's a way to handle it better, but in the fight against Doomsday, Batman was kinda useless next to Supes and WW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom