• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin community in panic as major exchange goes AWOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

delirium

Hello friends,
MtGox is gone. So let's prepare ourselves.
On Tuesday, and for the rest of the week, all hell will break lose in the media. It will be blamed on MtGox, it will be blamed on Bitcoin, it will be blamed on the "bug," and it will, more than anything, be blamed on the "lack of regulation." Pundits and "experts" of all types will weigh in on the calamity. It will be world news in a matter of hours.
Get ready, because it will be an ugly week.
For all of you who lost money, my heart goes out to you. Some people lost a little, some lost a fortune. It will make people sick, and depressed, and full of grief. Personally, I had over 550 BTC in Gox. I will never get any of that back. If misery loves company, then we'll be enjoying a grand feast today.
I should have known better, of course. I take responsibility for leaving those funds with an entity that had proven incompetence repeatedly. I chose to ignore even my own warnings, for nothing more than the sake of convenience.
Gox is still at fault, to be sure, but I have learned the lesson. I hope it is not such an expensive lesson for others. And for all you observers, please take a moment to consider it as well.
Be mindful, however, that the wrong lessons are not learned, for that would be the true tragedy, indeed.
Let me suggest that the lesson is not that Bitcoin is broken. Bitcoin is fine.
Similarly, the lesson is not that security is impossible. Those who know what they are doing, can achieve it and help others to do so.
The lesson is not that nobody can be trusted. There are countless good men and women in this community who are worthy of trust, and some of the very best people I've ever met.
And finally, the lesson is not that we ought to seek out "regulation" to save us from the evils and incompetence of man. For the regulators are men too, and wield the very same evil and incompetence, only enshrined in an authority from which it can wreck amplified and far more insidious destruction. Let us not retreat from our rising platform only to cower back underneath the deranged machinations of Leviathan.
The proper lesson, if I may suggest, is this: We are building a new financial order, and those of us building it, investing in it, and growing it, will pay the price of bringing it to the world. This is the harsh truth. We are building the channels, the bridges, and the towers of tomorrow's finance, and we put ourselves at risk in doing so.
We are at risk from accidents. We are at risk from fraud, from corruption, and from evil. We are at risk from journalists seeking headlines and from politicians seeking power and glory. We are at risk from the very market we are trying to build - a market which cares not about our portfolio, our ambitions, or our delicate sympathies.
For all these risks, devastation will befall us repeatedly. Some of us will be discouraged. Some will be ridiculed and insulted. Some will be tricked, or swindled. Some of us will be crushed or caged. We will be set upon by all manner of antagonists, repeatedly, for a long time.
So why do we do it? Why do we build these towers that fall down upon us? Why do we toil and strain and risk our precious time, which is the only real wealth we possess?
Because the world needs what we're building. It needs it desperately. If that matters to you, as it does to me, then hold to that thought. You will see through the smoke, and your wounds will heal.
So shake it off, brothers, for this won't be the last calamity endured before the win.
Tonight, my heart is with you all.
Tomorrow, my head is down. My eyes are open. And I am building.
Toward peace and freedom,
-Erik Voorhees

Oh man, true believers.

buttcoins have fallen

long live buttcoins

speakin of

btc-monopoly.png

We are witnessing the failure of a company the government would deem "too big to fail" (self.Bitcoin)
(252|67) submitted 3 hours ago by PotatoBadger
110 commentsshare[l=c]
This is a free market. These exchanges have been operating in the closest thing we've had to a financial free market in a long time.
There won't be a bail out for Mt. Gox. It will simply fail as a company.
Right now, their failure is taking a hit on the overall market. But you know what? Anyone who wasn't a customer of Mt. Gox still has their full amount of bitcoins. Nobody is being robbed to bail out an incompetent company. The only losers here are Mt. Gox and those who voluntarily chose to do business with them.
This is a free market speed bump. It sucks right now, but because the crappy companies (Gox) can go bankrupt while the good companies (Bitstamp, Coinbase, etc.) succeed, the entire Bitcoin ecosystem will grow stronger with time. Regulators think that a market should be patched together with bail outs rather than left alone to adapt and develop. Let's prove them wrong.
Cheers :)

5/5

LaneDS

Current buyprice: $440.

Going to sleep. Will check back in the morning on the plummet and then probably cancel those R9 290s I had backordered, having lost only time. Sorry to those that really got burned.

x3sphere

It seems like a pretty good investment right? Drops from $550 to $480 in a single day? What do you think will be the bottom?

In the past, it's also doubled in value during a single day. I don't know what will be the bottom this time, but I've seen worse - been in Bitcoin since 2011. Despite all the crashes, it recovers to a higher base price each time. That's not really typical of a bubble.

golem

It seems like a pretty good investment right? Drops from $550 to $480 in a single day? What do you think will be the bottom?

Not sure.. keep an eye on the markets though. The MtGox drama has been going on for a while now, the market has dropped and bounced several times in the last few weeks at this point.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
We are witnessing the failure of a company the government would deem "too big to fail" (self.Bitcoin)
(252|67) submitted 3 hours ago by PotatoBadger
110 commentsshare[l=c]
This is a free market. These exchanges have been operating in the closest thing we've had to a financial free market in a long time.
There won't be a bail out for Mt. Gox. It will simply fail as a company.
Right now, their failure is taking a hit on the overall market. But you know what? Anyone who wasn't a customer of Mt. Gox still has their full amount of bitcoins. Nobody is being robbed to bail out an incompetent company. The only losers here are Mt. Gox and those who voluntarily chose to do business with them.
This is a free market speed bump. It sucks right now, but because the crappy companies (Gox) can go bankrupt while the good companies (Bitstamp, Coinbase, etc.) succeed, the entire Bitcoin ecosystem will grow stronger with time. Regulators think that a market should be patched together with bail outs rather than left alone to adapt and develop. Let's prove them wrong.
Cheers :)

5/5

Man, I wish I could fail as spectacularly and as profitably as this.

thefit

How much money did the Winklevi lose?

Also, can I get AMD graphics cards for dirt cheap now?

mmhmm from my loca Craigslist
These are very nice and virtually brand new high end gaming pc components. I was building a mining/gaming rig and decided I have no time for anything really. So I'm selling all the parts and they are in pristine condition with no visible wear or tear at all. All the components have only had about 3 hours of use on them so like I said there still new.

Here's the list:
-thermaltake level 10 gts snow edition case with blue led fans
-120gb ssd Samsung evo
-thermaltake smart 750 watt bronze certified
-8gb of ram adata 1600mhz
-I5 4670k overclockable cpu
-asetek 550l liquid cooler for the cpu
-z87 UD3 gigabyte motherboard
-super writer optical drive
-r9 280x xfx double d overclockable edition

All parts have the books and everything they came with including the disc. Please feel free to ask question all parts are price negotiable so please feel free to make an offer

BAIL OUT

Chichikov

This is speculation, not investment.
And while there can definitely money to be made riding a speculative bubble, I personally think there are safer avenues than bitcoin.

But if you if you dead set on getting on that market, please take one well known advice into heart - never try to catch a falling knife.
It's not worth it from a risk reward perspective.

Seriously, now is the best time to buy cheap 290X's. People will panic but the cards are new enough not to be burned out. Offer a hundred bucks for one

So, they're all sticking to their guns and going anti-regulation. Good on them. But Mt. Gox didn't "fail" per se, right? I mean, the guys who did it made out like bandits. So they can act like this is a "Speed bump" and "a lesson to be learned" but really, there's absolutely nothing stopping me or anyone else from making a new exchange and fleecing the community again, right? I mean, you need an exchange to use these things, if I understand correctly.

So I guess what I'm saying is, anyone in GAF wanna make a couple million dollars?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So, they're all sticking to their guns and going anti-regulation. Good on them. But Mt. Gox didn't "fail" per se, right? I mean, the guys who did it made out like bandits. So they can act like this is a "Speed bump" and "a lesson to be learned" but really, there's absolutely nothing stopping me or anyone else from making a new exchange and fleecing the community again, right? I mean, you need an exchange to use these things, if I understand correctly.

So I guess what I'm saying is, anyone in GAF wanna make a couple million dollars?

You don't want to do that. The invisible hand of the market will slap you.

Or something like that.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I feel so vindicated now.

I've been arguing with a friend recently that while crypto currencies are viable, "Bitcoin" itself is a beta, and isn't gonna last.

This is a pretty major blow.

SolvencyLiquidity is paramount. People hate paypal because they freeze assets too often.

When the currency is used for all kinds of illicit activities how can it ever be trusted? Foundation of sand total.

gcubed

Now that everyone realizes you can rob people legally there are going to be a ton of these things popping up. Invisible hand is coming to reach into everyone's bitcoin wallet

schadenfreude.jpg

I have such Schadenfreude right now. It seemed too good to be true and a lazy get rich quick scheme. As a pc gamer, I don't like the effect it had on the GPU market. How about using those rigs that you made to make magical digital money to cure cancer now?

fallagin

Now that everyone realizes you can rob people legally there are going to be a ton of these things popping up. Invisible hand is coming to reach into everyone's bitcoin wallet

Yep, also another consequence of this is that insurance premiums will probably skyrocket because of this.

x3sphere

There's other exchanges that are far more reputable, MtGox was always shady. People were warning to stop using them over a year ago. The writing's been on the wall for some time. It's unfortunate that people may lose money over this but at the same time, I don't feel bad for them, they had plenty of chances to get out of Gox.

So yea, you can start up an exchange, but I won't use it. And you don't "need" an exchange to use Bitcoin, you can buy direct from a person, and the Bitcoins themselves are spendable on several online stores these days. So cashing out via an exchange isn't your only option.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Oh come on.

They have a point though. The problem with bit coin has nothing to do with the kinds of activities it's used for. We need something that people can use for online purchasing that isn't a credit card or paypal. Crypto currency is the best bet.

There is a lot of FUD around bit coin, that it's this untraceable untaxable drug dealer money, when none of those things are true. Actually cash money is significantly less traceable and more difficult to tax.

there's absolutely nothing stopping me or anyone else from making a new exchange and fleecing the community again, right?

Magic The Gathering Online Exchange could come back tomorrow and say "sorry we lost all of your money but it was just a speed bump" and people would still rush to put their butts there.

They have a point though. The problem with bit coin has nothing to do with the kinds of activities it's used for. We need something that people can use for online purchasing that isn't a credit card or paypal. Crypto currency is the best bet.

There is a lot of FUD around bit coin, that it's this untraceable untaxable drug dealer money, when none of those things are true. Actually cash money is significantly less traceable and more difficult to tax.

It's straight up pyramid scheme money laundering back alley digital hustle money.

braves01

Banned
This is fascinating to read about, especially how the exchange has been able to just take the money and run with no legal ramifications whatsoever as far as I can tell.

I feel bad though about a dude on reddit who said he'd lost a $16k investment (which was worth $40k in coins if he could've cashed out).

[–]lowstrife 15 points 59 minutes ago (18|3)
This isn't the first time this has happened. Look at April 2013. People and the media were calling Bitcoin dead and the exchanges useless after that bubble burst yet look where we are today.

[–]thesacred 5 points 1 hour ago (6|1)
Are you absolutely sure that Gox is dead? You seem sure.

[–]waxwing 9 points 1 hour ago (18|9)
You're right, and yet still you don't get the real point.
The real point is not that the current system exists for a good reason (which is true), it's that public key cryptography fundamentally changes the way that power can operate in the world.
In other words, the rules of the game have changed, and slowly but surely the players are taking notice.

[–]scottansan 8 points 1 hour ago (12|4)
Disagree... The lesson is that we need to require more transparency from those that we trust.
"Privacy for the weak, transparency for the powerful"

etc etc etc

delirium

The funny thing is that Coinbase, another bitcoin exchange, uses MongoDB, a non-ACID database for its financial transaction.

This is the exchange that everyone parrots as the one to use.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It's straight up pyramid scheme money laundering back alley digital hustle money.

That I can agree with.

Bitcoin (bitcoin, not necessarily other cryptos) has three fundamental problems:

1: Way too much was mined by the early adopters
2: Way too many coins are just lost (2b and we don't know how many)
3: It's technologically immature

luoapp

This is fascinating to read about, especially how the exchange has been able to just take the money and run with no legal ramifications whatsoever as far as I can tell.

I don't think that's the case.At the very minimum, they still own the users for the money and BCs in their accounts. They can "just take the money and run". Not being regulated as heavily as a bank doesn't mean you can do whatever you want without legal consequences.

Nikodemos

That I can agree with.

Bitcoin (bitcoin, not necessarily other cryptos) has three fundamental problems:

1: Way too much was mined by the early adopters
2: Way too many coins are just lost (2b and we don't know how many)
3: It's technologically immature
4. It's inherently deflationary, which encourages hoarding and gold craze behaviour (and makes it unsuitable as an actual currency).

I dunno. I always saw bitcoin as a way to make money short term off speculation. And I have. That money is back safely in glorious fiat sitting in my bank account.

I never gave a fuck about it eventually failing as long as it failed after I was on my yacht bought by bitcoin. If it fails today I won't get that yacht but I already paid off a nice two month vacation in April. #Yolo

I'm plying with house money now I just bought in at $420 and sold at $460 for shits and giggles. I'm not cashing out these remaining profit yet. I'm going down with the ship!!!

If you keep telling yourself that you only lost fiat money, does it make the pain hurt any less?

Like Dorothy kicking her shoes together.

If you want to read real craziness/idiocy, browse the silk road reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/silkroad

People continued using Silk Road and insisting it was a safe way to purchase drugs online after the first owner was arrested... then after his staff were arrested... then after whoever the current owner is stole millions of dollars of bitcoins held in escrew... and after multiple vendors were revealed to have been working with the government... and so on. You can't argue with stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom