• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin community in panic as major exchange goes AWOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
I dunno. I always saw bitcoin as a way to make money short term off speculation. And I have. That money is back safely in glorious fiat sitting in my bank account.

I never gave a fuck about it eventually failing as long as it failed after I was on my yacht bought by bitcoin. If it fails today I won't get that yacht but I already paid off a nice two month vacation in April. #Yolo

I'm plying with house money now I just bought in at $420 and sold at $460 for shits and giggles. I'm not cashing out these remaining profit yet. I'm going down with the ship!!!

?! Why not just speculate on the stock market instead? At least there you're supposedly protected from insider trading and other shenanigans

antonz

Interesting stuff. Its seems China is loving the collapse. Tracking transactions they are buying tons and tons of BTC. Odd considering the Chinese anti btc reaction started the collapse before the gox stuff

http://fiatleak.com/

Starting to get really tempted to take a gamble and send some money over to mtGox...
I think the reward outweighs the risk in this case.

If they permanently hold withdraws, you are out $125 per coin.

If they actually resolve the issue, and resume business, then the coins might be worth over 5 times that much once they open it back up.

Its so difficult to tell though! This will surely make some men VERY rich.
at least they're honest about their gambling

?! Why not just speculate on the stock market instead? At least there you're supposedly protected from insider trading and other shenanigans
I may one day. Bitcoin was an easier buy-in with less fees and more volatility for profit. Bitcoin just clicked for me whereas I wouldnt know where to get started with stocks. Way riskier but sometimes it pays off. I deal with a well trusted Canadian exchange for most of my trades and I'm Canadian. I'm not dealing with some exchange off in Japan. May be false sense of security but there are many exchanges that are more transparent in their dealings than others and gox has been a bunch of filtyh liars forever. People should have known better than to stick around with them.

x3sphere

Interesting stuff. Its seems China is loving the collapse. Tracking transactions they are buying tons and tons of BTC. Odd considering the Chinese anti btc reaction started the collapse before the gox stuff

Very interesting. Watch China lead a rally up to $600 tomorrow, lol. Never a dull moment in Bitcoin, price can go up as quickly as it fell. Call me crazy, but I just hold my coins and enjoy the ride. Stock market is nowhere near as entertaining.

charsace

Anyone that was involved with this theft has to be killed. And when I say killed it has to be in a painful way and recorded so that it can be seen.

There followed much angst and hand-wringing going on at Silk Road. Some believed Tony76 was killed by Mexican drug lords. Others assumed he had been busted. Many refused to believe that someone in their ‘Community’ would do such a thing. Then came the conspiracy theories: he is already selling under another name; Silk Road’s owners are in on it; it’s all part of a worldwide sting and nobody is safe; Tony76 is actually a Canadian bikie gang.
This sounds about right.

Cool website - hadn't read it before.

antonz

China sources are buying roughly 20,000 Bitcoin an hour right now. People might have to start shifting their gaze at China and wonder if they didn't play a role in this whole thing with the hacking etc.

This is after Chinese source all but abandoned BTC in Jan due to government stuff.

Dead Man

4. It's inherently deflationary, which encourages hoarding and gold craze behaviour (and makes it unsuitable as an actual currency).

That's the killer for me. Why would I ever buy bitcoins for an online transaction when I have a credit card? Unless I was making the transaction right then, it is an insane level of risk just to make a purchase.

Now to wait for the inevitable unloading of graphic cards on craigslist from all the suckers. woot

Yes-Signs-Held-By-Fans.gif

1044.gif

I'm sorry if you lost money, but I'm happy that Gox is dead. Amateur hour is over, get ready for 2014 people, it's gonna be exciting in my opinion. (self.Bitcoin)
(101|29) submitted 1 hour ago by CalvinHouse
33 commentsshare[l=c]
With that said, I'm going to bed.
BOTFD (Buy On The Fucking Dip)

Damaniel

Banned
Wow, my choice to stay invested in worthless fiat currency (in the form of US dollars) sure seems stupid now, doesn't it?

Oh, wait....

An exchange of an anonymous, unregulated currency espoused by people who more or less believe in the 'every man for himself; caveat emptor' tenets of libertarianism, has up and run off with the money? I'm SO shocked. Not to mention that the owner of Mt. Gox is now the second person to be pulled off the Bitcoin Foundation board of directors (the first one is the guy that ran Bitinstant and was facilitating trades for the Silk Road). Makes you wonder - is there actually a single honest person on the board there? Another incident or two like this and cryptocurrencies as 'legitimate' currency (ha!) will be dead before they ever got off the ground.

Dead Man

My car is not regulated as a currency, but it would still be illegal for the mechanic to drive off to Mexico with it when I take it into the shop for repairs.

If MtGOX took everything and ran, they broke the law whether Bitcoin is a currency or not.

What did they take? Serious question, I don't know what they took other than data on their servers.

antonz

My car is not regulated as a currency, but it would still be illegal for the mechanic to drive off to Mexico with it when I take it into the shop for repairs.

If MtGOX took everything and ran, they broke the law whether Bitcoin is a currency or not.

Which is why the reports of MtGOX paying out right now to people in Japan who had withdraw requests in makes sense. Japan hasn't said they wont step in they have simply said they have no position right now.

Pay off all the Japanese investors and it is far more likely Japan wont get involved. MtGox still had like 25 million dollars in cash. They simply owe like 50 million which is the huge issue since that 25-30 million dollar deficit was "stolen"

Chichikov

Is there a way to short bitcoins? That shit is gonna go sub $100.
There are services that allow you to short bitcoins, and while I'm guessing you're not actually serious about it, I feel obliged to say it -
Shorting something as volatile as bitcoin is a terrible terrible idea.
Listen, I don't believe in bitcoin, at all (you can check my post history) the issue is that with short selling is you can lose more than your initial investment (in fact, the potential losses are infinite), this is a risk you really don't want to take on something as temperamental as bitcoin.

neoanarch

So an MtGox acquisition is about the be announced, possibly.

Anyone who continues to do business with them is an idiot and deserves it.

Slavik81

What did they take? Serious question, I don't know what they took other than data on their servers.
That should be sufficient. The data has value, and they were obligated to give it up upon request in a reasonable period of time. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure a willful breach on contract on that magnitude is likely to run afoul of serious fraud or other similar charges.

Alphahawk

I feel sorry for the people in the reddit bitcoin community who invested there life savings in this (yes, people really did that) The whole bitcoin community over there seemed incredibly toxic. Idiots, for sure, but I feel sympathy none the less.

neoanarch

Well if they get acquired, that could be a good thing? Someone willing to clean up the mess.

The source code on their site reads this...

Except there was no reason to leave the community hanging for hours other than to let the price crash and buy cheap coins.

Bluth54

Now to wait for the inevitable unloading of graphic cards on craigslist from all the suckers. woot

There's no way I would ever buy a videocard that's been used for mining. Running a video cared full speed 24/7 can't be good for it.

Hopefully the miners will just stop buying new cards so I can finally get a R9 290 for a decent price.

I'm really hoping the bitcoin bubble will burst soon but I have my doubts it will be this early.

Ty4on

Nooo! It's rebounding already.

Maybe when I have time to buy there will be more news pushing the price down.

Nikodemos

It's because they finally understood how to use it in their advantage and were waiting for a crash to hoard them.

x3sphere

Okay, have fun with that card. I'm sure it will last you a loooooong time.

kwZR6xH.jpg

I know I would LOVE a card treated like this!

That card is probably in better condition than in someone's case with little to no airflow. Oh and it's not like GPUs weren't used for 24/7 tasks before Bitcoin. Lots of people fold for cancer research on their GPUs.

Sounds like what you're saying is, people should just avoid buying used GPUs entirely. As long as I'm buying one with a warranty, I don't really care what it was used for.

Ty4on

That card is probably in better condition than in someone's case with little to no airflow. Oh and it's not like GPUs weren't used for 24/7 tasks before Bitcoin. Lots of people fold for cancer research on their GPUs.

Sounds like what you're saying is, people should just avoid buying used GPUs entirely. As long as I'm buying one with a warranty, I don't really care what it was used for.

Excactly. They're often undervolted to reduce heat output and high volts are very dangerous for other reasons. They're also running at very low temps, often under 70C. GPUs aren't like mechanical objects like cars, they don't wear down the same way because there aren't any moving parts.

DarkFlow

Banned

I have no problem with used cards, But most GPUs are not used 24/7 for months on end. But hey, it's your money.

-KRS-

Okay, have fun with that card. I'm sure it will last you a loooooong time.

kwZR6xH.jpg

I know I would LOVE a card treated like this!

What's wrong with it? You mean because they're not in a case? That's doesn't automatically cause any problems. And as mentioned they usually make sure to undervolt them and make sure the fans are running at max 80% speed so as to not overload the fan motors. And who said you'd be paying anything close to full price for them?

Edit: And GPUs are rated for 100+ degrees celcius in most cases, and these miners usually make sure they stay at around 80 or under. So I don't think it harms them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom