• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomba - Wii U Basic with Nintendoland for $300 at Best Buy

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The WiiU will do fine for what will likely be Nintendo's last console.

ALL video game consoles will probably be phased out after this generation, to be replaced with an all in one computer/multimedia settop box that can also play games.

NFreak

The ten percent 10% back promotion is something. However, that aside, the assumption is that if you're really going to be downloading games in any meaningful way -- i.e. not just a demo here and a small indie game there -- you're going to need to get an external harddrive anyway. The extra 24 Gigs of space isn't really anything to write home about.

So, for the digital distribution enthusiast, you're probably looking at getting something like a terabyte of storage anyway. So, who cares about the measly 24 gigs of storage in the Deluxe? This leaves the cash back promotion and Nintendo Land as the difference makers. And with the Best Buy promotion, you're left with just the cash back promotion. You'd have to spend $500 buying digital content before you made up the difference in the price of the Deluxe vs. Basic.

Yeah, this is definitely true. I mean I'd think most people, at least on here would eventually spend that much but yeah, as it is now, this basic bundle is a good deal. The storage difference on the console is pretty meaningless unless you don't plan to purchase much digital content.

Not to say that 24GB left available is good enough for demos and eshop releases for a good period if you don't plan to download retail games (and when you need more space, a 32GB SD card will be priced less than the current 20 bucks).
Also the charging cradle (20 bucks) is very useful if I might add.

Except you can't use an SD card for additional Wii U storage. You either need a USB thumb drive or an external hard drive.

evangd007

ALL video game consoles will probably be phased out after this generation, to be replaced with an all in one computer/multimedia settop box that can also play games.

Why do I need a box to do what my SmartTV does? My TV does not play retail-quality games, however.

Taker666

There was an offer posted in the cheap arse European thread for Wii U deluxe at £259 or something. I don't think I've seen new machine discounting so quickly after launch before, and expect this to be happening a lot more over the next few months. The system is overpriced for the UK market.

What's concerning is that apparently Nintendo isn't breaking even on this system? I don't understand how a system that looks visually on par with PS360 (whether it's more powerful or not is not an issue here, the fact that people have to find specific examples to prove it just shows how powerful it is visually) is not breaking even at £300. Does the tablet cost that much? It only has 32GB of memory, too. I really don't think Nintendo learnt a thing from the abysmal 3DS launch at all.

You could always get the Wii U Deluxe for under £260 in Europe...Amazon France had it available at 315 euros on pre-order. For some bizarre reason people have only just noticed (it's actually a few euros more expensive in France now than it was at launch)

...same with the 3DS XL..Amazon France were selling it for around 189 euros..at a time when Amazon UK was trying to get people to pay £199 for it (and then dropped the price to £160 with a free game a few weeks later).

liger05

I'm done with Nintendo. With every generation they moved further away from what I want.

3DS was the last piece of business they will get from me. I am strictly a 360/PS3 guy. Nintendo has the worst 3rd party support, and its been that way for over a decade now. I have no faith in them anymore.

Its not out of hate, or my unadulterated love for MS, its that Nintendo failed me so many times.

Yep that DS was a huge letdown wasnt it.

JCX

Wii U is the first Nintendo console I've seen pretty consistently in stock around its launch since Gamecube. I'm holding out for Smash 4.

demigod

Right, I guess you'll be buying every kid $1000 computers and $2000 TVs.

wcw

Neo Member
I think they are gonna phase out the basic and just drop the deluxe to 300$, decent build in memory and a game for the Wii-U is really not a terrible deal overall. I suspect they are gonna wait till July or August to make a move on the price drop.

A 50$ drop isn't a sign of failure its more so admitting that they only aren't getting away with a slightly inflated price point. 300$ with game was probably the best fair price point.

StevieP

Banned
I think they are gonna phase out the basic and just drop the deluxe to 300$, decent build in memory and a game for the Wii-U is really not a terrible deal overall. I suspect they are gonna wait till July or August to make a move on the price drop.

A 50$ drop isn't a sign of failure its more so admitting that they only aren't getting away with a slightly inflated price point. 300$ with game was probably the best fair price point.

Not until it becomes financially viable to do so and sales dip to an extreme low point (which they haven't yet). They're already losing money on every hardware unit.

I don't think people on GAF understand how much technology actually costs. Look at 7th gen consoles. Outside the Wii, none of them have hit $100. Why do you think that is, folks?

Not until it becomes financially viable to do so and sales dip to an extreme low point (which they haven't yet). They're already losing money on every hardware unit.

I don't think people on GAF understand how much technology actually costs. Look at 7th gen consoles. Outside the Wii, none of them have hit $100. Why do you think that is, folks?

They keep adding stuff to the SKU'[s to give the impression of value, that's why. I have no doubt that MS could sell a 20G 360 without Kinect and withought wireless for $100 and at worst break even. This shit is hardware from 2004, it shouldn't cost this much 8 years after. But both MS and Sony actually want to recover some of the losses from earlier in the generation.

How long since the last 360 o0fficial price drop? 4 years or something? It's ridiculous at this point, but let's not pretend that they can't be sold for lower because they can. And ik would love to see a cost breakdown of the parts in the WiiU. If they are truly selling at a loss and not including R&D, then that controller must really be expensive.

StevieP

Banned
They keep adding stuff to the SKU'[s to give the impression of value, that's why. I have no doubt that MS could sell a 20G 360 without Kinect and withought wireless for $100 and at worst break even. This shit is hardware from 2004, it shouldn't cost this much 8 years after. But both MS and Sony actually want to recover some of the losses from earlier in the generation.

How long since the last 360 o0fficial price drop? 4 years or something? It's ridiculous at this point, but let's not pretend that they can't be sold for lower because they can. And ik would love to see a cost breakdown of the parts in the WiiU. If they are truly selling at a loss and not including R&D, then that controller must really be expensive.

There's a reason why they go "valueadd" rather than full out price drops, and it's not JUST because of the multibillion losses at the beginning. How long do you think before you'll see a $99 PS3?
You'll probably not break even at $100 for a 360.

And as far as the Wii U is concerned, it's not a question of "truly" because it is selling for a loss. It's likely not a massive loss, considering Reggie's comments about licensing fees covering the cost, but it's being sold at a loss per (hardware) unit.

Alchemy

If this happens don't expect the Deluxe unit to keep the controller cradle, stand, console stand, and Deluxe Digital Points membership. It would pretty much just be a Wii U with 32GB of storage and Nintendoland.

Dunlop

WoW Real Big BOMBA here, gimme a break
Not a BOMBA but not a great sign with the launch of a new console and the holiday season passing.

Was at a futureshop on boxing day (like american black friday) and they still had a couple of Wii-U's in stock (but there was no special on them)

There's a reason why they go "valueadd" rather than full out price drops, and it's not JUST because of the multibillion losses at the beginning. How long do you think before you'll see a $99 PS3?
You'll probably not break even at $100 for a 360.

I completely disagree. Sony wiped out their profits from the PS1 AND PS2 on the triple. You don't think they want to get a piece of that back? With the way this gen has gone, price dropping to boost sales is a phyrric victory at best between Sony and MS. The pattern of this gen has long been decided, best milk it as long as possible and focus on next gen. XBOX is keeping the MS entertainment division afloat, and Sony is in such a mess that they need the extra revenue.

I specifically didn't use the PS3 at $100 dollars because i'm not sure how BD-Drive prices have scaled over time, even though adoption rates have improved. 360 however uses a DVD drive, the originals needed a wifi dongle, and there was a 20GB SKU at one point. Strip away Kinect and i am absolutely confident that they can sell at $100 and at worst break even. How much do you suppose 8 year old mass produced parts cost really.

IrishNinja

i really wish we could bet on stuff here, the # of you so certain about this really makes me feel like i could clean house

m.i.s.

Banned
I hope this is the last time we see multiple console sku's at launch

Yes; never understood why Nintendo would wish to follow the HD twins in offering more than one model. Particularly considering the many arguments that we previously had about the lack of functionality of the lower priced model.

Have bundles that increase the price instead and let consumers decide based on what games they wish play.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I planned on waiting for the wonderful 101 but caved yesterday and picked up a sealed deluxe off of craigslist for $200. Feels good, except for the fact they're probably stolen and worked their way down to this seller. He had multiple boxes and said they were payback from a friend who owed him money. Maybe it was just a reseller with too many units.

Wife and I are loving it, so hard to find anything we can play together now a days.

Raven77

I swear...

These Wii U topics all have the most annoying thread titles. ("Wii Non!" comes to mind...)

WTF is "Bomba", it sounds dumb, please quit using it. Josh and I can't stand it anymore.

zigg

I bought one of these bundles today.

If anything "bombed", it's the basic set itself. It wasn't really making a good value proposition to anyone. With the game bundled in and a couple BB discounts, it finally made one to me.

MDX

Yes; never understood why Nintendo would wish to follow the HD twins in offering more than one model. Particularly considering the many arguments that we previously had about the lack of functionality of the lower priced model.

Have bundles that increase the price instead and let consumers decide based on what games they wish play.

I had speculated when Nintendo first showed the black unit that they would use that color to sell a more expensive system. I didnt think they would offer a unit with less memory though. I think that was silly, but I can understand they needed a real distinction to justify the price difference ala Apple. I think the White model is simply a loss leader (though it probably is the one that bring in the most money) and it will be dropped by next Xmas.

The black will take over the price of 299 by the time the other two consoles launch, and the 349 price might be replaced by a new "color" with something extra added to the package.

Who knows what Nintendo was thinking. But I think they were really hit hard by the iPad mini and other tablets. A game console is not a device you can carry around and show off to your friends at school.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I bought one of these bundles today.

If anything "bombed", it's the basic set itself. It wasn't really making a good value proposition to anyone. With the game bundled in and a couple BB discounts, it finally made one to me.[/QUOTES]

Speak for yourself. I purchased the white because I did not want to spend much over 400 to play Mario. I also refuse to pay for cheap plastic and a tiny amount more of NAND. The white makes perfect sense for those who buy the WiiU for Mario, Zelda, Metroid and other 1st party titles which was pretty much what I bought the N64, GCN, and Wii for. If this is your intended use for the device and you don't want Nintendoland why would you buy the DX?

zigg

Speak for yourself. I purchased the white because I did not want to spend much over 400 to play Mario. I also refuse to pay for cheap plastic and a tiny amount more of NAND. The white makes perfect sense for those who buy the WiiU for Mario, Zelda, Metroid and other 1st party titles which was pretty much what I bought the N64, GCN, and Wii for. If this is your intended use for the device and you don't want Nintendoland why would you buy the DX?
I don't think you're all that common of a customer at launch. Nintendoland is a prominent launch title. This model would have made more sense later in the U's life. But that's just speculation on my part, admittedly, backed by the fact that I have a real hard time finding anyone interested in the Basic.

(By the way, the Flash capacity is not a "tiny amount more"—you get 25GB usable on the Deluxe vs. 3GB on the Basic.)

Nintendoland is $60 on its own, Best Buy can't get rid of Wii U Basics so now they're tyring everything they can
I'm sure they also can't get rid of the standalone Nintendolands.

Yeah, this is definitely true. I mean I'd think most people, at least on here would eventually spend that much but yeah, as it is now, this basic bundle is a good deal. The storage difference on the console is pretty meaningless unless you don't plan to purchase much digital content.

Except you can't use an SD card for additional Wii U storage. You either need a USB thumb drive or an external hard drive.

I haven't even downloaded anything on my Deluxe because there's nothing worth downloading. But I just can't see myself coming close to spending that kind of money, especially with the current library. Now if Nintendo put HD releases of GameCube games for $10 each on the service, I may have to double dip.

People are more interested in the $350 pack, this actually bodes well for 720/PS4.

The launch customers are more interested in the $350 pack. ie, the hardcore Nintendo fans are paying that price.

The problem is most of those people jump in early. Now Nintendo is trying to sell this overpriced package to the less dedicated, more practical consumer. It's a really hard sell, especially with no real killer app, and none on the way soon.

Top Bottom