• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian General Election (OT) - #elxn42: October 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: See the bottom of this post to find out where to see the results!

sZvRTvE.jpg

WHAT

Canada's 42nd general election, happening October 19th. That's just

t1445259600z1.png

away!

Yes, we've known this is the date since 2011. And yes, you've been seeing Conservative Party attack ads against Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau for many, many months now, assuming you have a TV. But the election period only officially begins when Prime Minister Stephen Harper visits Governor General David Johnston to request the election period officially begin, so now -- or, at least, as of 10 am on Sunday, August 2nd -- we're into the longest election campaign since 1872. (CBC has a brief overview of how everything changes with the official writ drop, if you're curious.)

WHY

Because constitutionally, Canada is required to have an election every five years. There's also a "Fair Elections Act" that calls for elections to be every four years, and the last one was 2011, so...

Why is it starting now, you mean? Because even though the Act says Elections have to be every four years, and the Canada Elections Act includes a provision for the minimum length of a campaign (36 days), there's nothing anywhere that says the maximum length of a campaign. The longer a campaign goes, the higher the spending limits go: during a typical election campaign, the spending limit per party is $25 million. For each additional day, the limit is increased by 1/37th, or an extra $675,000, meaning an 11-week campaign would allow parties to spend more than $50 million.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the Conservatives are estimated to have more money than all the other parties combined.

WHERE

...Canada, obviously. Though to be more precise, it's technically 338 local elections happening concurrently. Want to know what riding you're in, or who's running in your area, or where to vote? Then head to Elections Canada's website and scroll down to the Voter Information Service section. This is the first election with new boundaries, so your electoral district may have changed!

WHEN

Again, October 19th.

There will, presumably, be many opportunities for advance voting, though the dates and locations of those won't be known until all the candidates have filed their paperwork. Again, check with Elections Canada for details!

There are also debates. Maybe lots of debates, though that's still up in the air. The Conservatives are refusing to take part in the traditional televised debates, organized by the broadcast consortium, because (according to the Globe and Mail, at least) they want to "decrease the political weight of the debates by splitting them into smaller events with smaller audiences where the Conservatives have more leverage to achieve the format and focus that they feel suits them as a right-of-centre incumbents". The NDP won't take part in any debates that a) don't include the Conservatives, or b) do include the Greens. The Liberals aren't committing to anything at the moment. And the Greens are waiting by the phone, hoping someone remembers they exist.

But we know the details of the first debate -- and it's not far off! It's August 6th, it's being sponsored by Macleans Magazine, Rogers, and CityTV, and leaders of all four parties will be there.

The traditional TV debates are scheduled for October 7th and 8th, but it remains to be seen who'll be taking part in them.

WHO

At the time of Parliament's dissolution, the seat standings look like this:

Conservatives: 159 seats
NDP: 95
Liberal: 36
Bloc Québécois: 2
Greens: 2
Strength in Democracy: 2

There are also 8 independents and 4 vacant seats.

Who are your voting options? Elections Canada, once again, has a list of all the registered and eligible political parties in the country, but with all apologies to the Animal Alliance Environment Voters Party of Canada, the Marijuana Party, Pirate Party of Canada and the Bridge Party of Canada (among others), there are really only a couple of parties that will win seats, or even have candidates in most ridings. So here's who you need to know:

The Democratic Advancement Party of Canada -- Nah, just kidding.

Conservative Party of Canada
Leader: Stephen Harper
Platform

Stephen Harper is the leader of the Conservative Party, the Prime Minister of Canada, and the Member of Parliament for Calgary Southwest. He's been Prime Minister since 2006, leader of the Conservative Party (and its predecessor, the Canadian Alliance Party) since 2002, and an MP since 1993 (with a brief hiatus from 1997 to 2002). This will be his fifth election as leader. He's trying to become the first person since 1908 to win four consecutive elections.

New Democratic Party of Canada
Leader: Thomas Mulcair
Platform

Thomas Mulcair is the leader of the New Democratic Party, Leader of the Official Opposition in the House of Commons, and the Member of Parliament for Outremont. He's been Leader of the Opposition and the NDP since 2012, and an MP since 2007. This will be his first election as leader. He's trying to become the first NDP leader to become Prime Minister.

Liberal Party of Canada
Leader: Justin Trudeau
Party Platform: realchange.ca

Justin Trudeau is the leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, and Member of Parliament for Papineau. He's been the Liberal leader since 2013, and an MP since 2008. This is his first election as leader. He's hoping to lead the Liberals back to power for the first time since 2006.

Bloc Québécois
Leader: Gilles Duceppe

Gilles Duceppe is the leader of the Bloc Quebecois, and is not currently a member of Parliament. He was previously Bloc leader from 1996 to 2011, and the Member of Parliament for Laurier-Sainte-Marie from 1990 to 2011. This is his seventh election as leader. He's trying to...get back into Parliament, I guess? Make the Bloc Quebecois an official party again? If there are any separatists among us, they can let us know what the party's federal aim is at this point, because it's not entirely clear.

Green Party
Leader: Elizabeth May
Party Platform: Platform 2015

Elizabeth May is the leader of the Green Party of Canada, and Member of Parliament for Saanich—Gulf Islands. She's been the Green Party leader since 2006, and an MP since 2011. This is her third election as leader. She's hoping to build on the success of the last election, which saw her become the first elected Green in Canadian history.

HOW

...to vote? Again, Elections Canada has you covered. Voting locations, hours, candidates -- everything you could possibly need to know is there.

...will this thread go? I'll take a page from the very impressive UK election thread and lay down some rough guidelines:

1) No personal attacks. Don't attack someone for their party affiliation, whether perceived or stated. Let's try keep our debates/arguments focused on policies. Just because it's an election doesn't mean you get to ignore the NeoGAF Terms of Service.

2) You don't have to reveal your party affiliation or who you plan on voting for. By extension, that means no pressuring someone into revealing who they voted for.

3) If you're making a factual argument, please use facts from credible sources. If you want to talk polling, that's fine, but remember that polls aren't the be-all and end-all of discourse. That's especially true in Canada, where the pollsters are notoriously unreliable and our electoral system doesn't lend itself as well as the US system to traditional opinion polling.

4) All viewpoints are welcome. We have a multiparty system, we can have a multiparty discussion.

5) Keep it civil. Just want to emphasize that point.

...should you vote? That's up to you. Read up on the parties and candidates in your riding, and decide which platform most closely aligns with your values. The CBC Vote Compass is probably the most accurate online quiz, if you want to farm out your decision-making to a website. There's also the Canadian version of I Side With, though be warned that it may not be particularly accurate or helpful (at least judging by the experiences of Canadian Poligaf -- though it's also entirely possible every one of us is a raging communist, I suppose).

If there's anything else to add, let me know. And if anyone wants to contribute a different header, feel free, because mine kind of sucks.

Debate #1: August 6, 2015: Maclean's Debate

How to Watch
TV:
CityTV (English)
CPAC (English/French)
OMNI (Italian, Punjabi, Mandarin and Cantonese)

Online:
http://www.macleans.ca/debate
http://www.cpac.ca/
http://www.omnitv.ca/

Debate #2: September 17, 2015: Globe and Mail Debate on the Economy

Globe and Mail/Google Canada/CPAC Leaders Debate
Thursday, Sept. 17, 6:00 p.m. MT, 8:00 p.m. ET

TV: CPAC (check local listings for channel)

Online:
globeandmail.com/
YouTube

Debate #3: September 24, 2015 (French)

French-only: Ici Radio-Canada (all platforms), Tele-Quebec, lapresse.ca

French with simultaneous English interpretation: CBC News Network, CTV News Channel, Cable Public Affairs Channel (CPAC)

Online: Globalnews.ca, Youtube Canada: Election 2015

Debate #4: September 28, 2015: Munk Debate on Canadian Foreign Policy, 7 pm EST

TV: CPAC, CHCH
Online: https://www.munkdebates.com/live-stream-landing or https://www.facebook.com/munkdebates

VOTING INFORMATION -- PIECES OF ID

WHERE TO SEE RESULTS

Elections Canada: French / English
CBC: English / French
CTV

Stet

Banned
Will be voting whichever of the Liberal or NDP candidates have the best shot at winning my riding.

Luigi87

Good thread.

I'm strongly hoping that recent developments in Canada ultimately encourage my friends and people I know whom usually skip voting altogether (which severely pisses me off), to finally get out and vote.

Likely voting NDP.
I cannot stress how much I miss Jack Layton.

Giard

Nice choice of pictures.

In answer to the OP concerning the Bloc Québécois, I think they decided to come back to try and ride the PKP "wave" and reinvigorate the separatist movement. IMO it's having the opposite effect though, and the last thing we needed for these federal elections is a BQ comeback.

I'm going to probably be voting NDP as usual, unless Justin impresses me during these coming weeks.

Guesong

Will be voting NPD unless something really drastic and mindblowing happens this election.

Thomas is no Jack, but it will do.

Anony

PSA: DO NOT VOTE FOR CONSERVATIVES

the only chance we have is a liberal/ndp coalition, but that's not happening
sad conservatives have a high chance of winning again

dluu13

Similar to the US, there is a Canadian isidewith page that you can use to find your political affiliation.

I did it earlier this year, and I'm split down the middle between Conservatives and Liberals. My family has typically voted Conservative, even though they never won in our riding.

EDIT:
I got even more conservative this time. I think it changes with my current mood.
DgxFMI4.png

Africanus

Well it appears the odds are in favour of the Conservatives once more. I wish you Canadians the best in your elections.

And if not, perhaps Donald Trump can save both of our countries.

GuessWho

NDP or conservative. It's crazy because I used to be 100% liberal. I really can't stand Trudeau.
I would vote 100% NDP if it was Jack. Don't really like Mulclair. As of today, I'm still undecided.

Similar to the US, there is a Canadian isidewith page that you can use to find your political affiliation.

I did it earlier this year, and I'm split down the middle between Conservatives and Liberals. My family has typically voted Conservative, even though they never won in our riding.

I just took that Quiz. I guess I'm more NDP than Liberal than I Realized.

Humidex

It's going to stay blue, just like it did with Cameron. Did we ever find out how the pollsters managed to get it so wrong there?

Luigi87

EDIT:
I got even more conservative this time. I think it changes with my current mood.
[-IMG]http://i.imgur.com/DgxFMI4.png[/IMG]

Tried this out...

Liberal - 94%
NDP - 92%
Green - 86% (...huh)
Communist - 80% (wait, what)
Conservative - 13%

Best case: NDP majority.
Worst case: Conservative minority.

The economy is too far in the shitter for the Cons to win another majority, IMHO.

I don't think anyone wins a majority, though I'm a little concerned about the size of the Conservatives' financial advantage. Over 11 weeks they'll be able to spend the other parties into the ground, and I'm not sure that their negative ads won't work.

I'm hoping for a Liberal win, but I really have no idea what will happen.

Worst case scenario: Conservatives win a minority even with the economy in the tank, and then we have another election in the next year or two. If that happens, it's entirely plausible that the Liberals and the NDP are too broke to run proper campaigns.

jstripes

Banned
Oh here we go. 70+ days is a loooong campaign.

Yup. Just like Harper wants it. The Conservatives have more campaign money in the bank than all the other parties combined. (Not that they haven't been campaigning non-stop since the last election.)

I don't think anyone wins a majority, though I'm a little concerned about the size of the Conservatives' financial advantage. Over 11 weeks they'll be able to spend the other parties into the ground, and I'm not sure that their negative ads won't work.

The problem with the Cons having money is they'll waste it just like everything else. Their Action Plan ads don't work, their anti-marijuana ads don't work, and everyone's already sick to death of hearing those annoying "he's just not ready" ads. Trudeau did a fine job of ruining himself with his stance on C-51.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Why is it starting now, you mean? Because even though the Act says Elections have to be every four years, and the Canada Elections Act includes a provision for the minimum length of a campaign (36 days), there's nothing anywhere that says the maximum length of a campaign.
We really need this to change. If they really want fixed election dates then there should also be a fixed date when the campaign can start. 11 weeks is way too long and should be closer to 6 or 7.

Stet

Banned
It should also be pointed out that even the way Harper calls elections is fucked up and unfair, even according to our Elections officiant.

Not that it will make a difference.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
NDP for me though I'll go Liberal if it means no more Harper. Even ALBERTA learned their lesson; we need Southern Ontario to do the same.

whitehawk

Banned

EDIT:
DgxFMI4.png
That did nothing, I was already flip flopping between NDP/Liberal.

qBKzmrb.png

I'm probably voting NDP though.

Luigi87

The Justin Trudeau attack ads are the absolute worst. Might worse than the Attack ads against Iggy "He's not Canadian Enough" ones

For some reason this just came to mind...
"The CPC presents Attack on Trudeau. A fantasy/sci-fi epic demonstrating why we must prevent Justin Trudeau from passing beyond the walls of Parliament."

... My mind goes to strange places sometimes.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
A 125 million dollar non-issue...
Yep. People who say it doesn't matter how much the parties spend don't realize that taxpayers foot the bill for 50% of what they spend. Not donors, taxpayers.

dluu13

I remember watching a Royal Canadian Air Farce sketch (or maybe it was This Hour has 22 Minutes, I don't remember) about the election. A bunch of people were sitting around in a cafe talking about who they would vote for. They were all on the fence except one who was going to "vote for the NDP because they're not going to win anyway".

Stet

Banned
pIjby6F.png

The "NeoGAF.com" part is pretty cool.

Which is a fraction of how much all parties will spend in promises in the next few weeks.

Journalists are just pissed their summer vacation ended abruptly.

That $125 million is coming out of our pockets, not the parties'.

gabbo

The Justin Trudeau attack ads are the absolute worst. Might worse than the Attack ads against Iggy "He's not Canadian Enough" ones

I haven't met anyone who thinks they've been effective in characterizing Trudeau like the previous ones did with Ignatieff. They feel like school yard attacks by a child who's been cornered

dluu13

pIjby6F.png

The "NeoGAF.com" part is pretty cool.

That $125 million is coming out of our pockets, not the parties'.

I don't know why I don't get NeoGAF.com... maybe it's because it looks at where it redirected from. I got i when I tried the American version though.

Luigi87

I don't know why I don't get NeoGAF.com... maybe it's because it looks at where it redirected from. I got i when I tried the American version though.

That's what I think. Since you initially linked it here, the rest of us get NeoGAF.com.

Silexx

Laura Payton ‏@laura_payton

.@thomasmulcair calls for change and then takes NO questions. I'm kind of speechless. #cdnpoli #hw

The new Canadian political landscape, ladies and gentlemen!

Luigi87

I've been staring at the pic of Mulcair thinking "Where have I seen him before..."

Then I finally realized that he looks like Krieger from Archer

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've been staring at the pic of Mulcair thinking "Where have I seen him before..."

Then I finally realized that he looks like Krieger from Archer

Liberal bias in the OP, Trudeau's pic is the most reasonable, and not crazy/insane.

(To clarify, I am being sarcastic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom