• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/keystone-xl-pipeline-obama-1.3307440

I know you don't believe the byline but that was pretty funny to read.

besides it was Obama's word

It was actually in the official statement from the PMO, too, but I don't think they're all that broken up about it -- I've always thought their support for KXL was premised on the fact it wasn't getting passed, so they could use it as a cudgel against Harper for screwing up relations with our closest ally.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Apparently the CBC building in Toronto is being evacuated right now due to "emergency situation"

Hopefully it turns out to be nothing

EDIT:

"Military artifact has been located. "

No idea what this means

Liberals have learned to phrase their sentences carefully concerning any issue that Albertans get emotional sensitive about, even if they don't mean it

Pedrito

Obama probably knew Trudeau didn't really give a shit either way so he waited for him to be sworn in before delivering the fatal blow to the project.

Though, I doubt the US government is all that concerned with hurting Canada's feelings.

gabbo

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/keystone-xl-pipeline-obama-1.3307440

I know you don't believe the byline but that was pretty funny to read.

besides it was Obama's word

Putting on a sad face in public doesn't mean he's not happy about it behind closed doors.
LOL Conservatives are already blaming Trudeau for KXL failing after 2 days,
hahahha forgetting that they sat on it for 9 years

Ambrose needs something to attack him on, since hair, not being ready, and Muslims all failed to land.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Apparently the CBC building in Toronto is being evacuated right now due to "emergency situation"

Hopefully it turns out to be nothing

EDIT:

"Military artifact has been located. "

No idea what this means

So this turned out to be:

lw9rZCy.png

Tabris

We better used to a strategy by the Conservatives and conservative-backed media to attack every single little thing about the Liberals.

gutter_trash, you should just set that media to ignore before you have an aneurism :)

We better used to a strategy by the Conservatives and conservative-backed media to attack every single little thing about the Liberals.

gutter_trash, you should just set that media to ignore before you have an aneurism :)

nah, I am loving the taste of Tory Tears too much

Donald hates Keystone to

Donald won't be the GOP nominee,the establishment will block him and block Carson.

John Ellis Bush is crashing and burning, the establishment will probably pick Marco Rubio.

fun fact: Grandpa Bush was an oil man, Ted Cruz and father are oil and gas men, Rubio is a shill for fossil fuel oil companies.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Got an email from the PM to my impartial public servant inbox. Feels good, man. It's early still but this government is hitting all the right notes.

publicly saying that he is disapointed it the ''politcally correct'' thing to do to make yahoos in Alberta happy, but he is probably secretly relieved that that project is dead so he can move onto other things

it's mostly Alberta, Harper and the industry's fault. For years everyone has been saying that they prefer cleaner forms of energy while Oil Sands is the dirtyest and dirty form of crude out there.

Alberta, cry me river. Say hello to Preston Manning and the rest of the gang

Huh. So you're saying that we don't actually know what Trudeau stands for then, that he says one thing publicly and believes another privately? Sounds sort of like the smear job you keep perpetrating on another leader...

maharg

idspispopd
Huh. So you're saying that we don't actually know what Trudeau stands for then, that he says one thing publicly and believes another privately? Sounds sort of like the smear job you keep perpetrating on another leader...

No, see, it's ok with Trudeau because we've known him since he was a small child so we know him and what he thinks and sherbrooke and YES in 1995 and and...

heh.

No, see, it's ok with Trudeau because we've known him since he was a small child so we know him and what he thinks and sherbrooke and YES in 1995 and and...

heh.

you guys are sounding more and more like Angry Tom

Kifimbo

Must be why they booed journalists for asking questions to Dion. Especially from the department that leaked damaging memos during the campaign. All this happened on a day where one of our key foreign policy failed. But let's celebrate! The public servants clearly won their election.

mo60

Now that the election is over: Holy shit, the Newfoundland PCs are about to get the shit kicked out of them.

Eric Grenier said if I recall that it possible that the opposition gets shut out of the House of Assembly with a percentage that high.I wouldn't be surprised if that happened at this point because momentum could give the Newfoundland Liberals a big enough boost to make sure the others parties don't win a seat, but this will depend on the direction the local races are going there.At this point it doesn't look like the Premier of Newfoundland will keep his seat and it doesn't look like the NDP leader will win a seat either.

My wife told me Minister Duclos was greeting staff as they went in to work at ESDC this morning. She and many others were very impressed. The department's economists are also impressed with his knowledge and background. Definitely hitting the right notes.

Cheers

Sean C

Also of note, NL is the last province with a PC government in charge.

Now if only Brad Wall could somehow get the boot.
Though the Manitoba NDP is also about to get the shit kicked out of it, albeit next April, unless they've got something really impressive up their sleeve.

maharg

idspispopd
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/trans-pacific-partnership-details-1.3308248

so now the TPP is fully available to the public... all 6000 pages of it

critics are going crazy on how bad it is and apparently the Liberal Government will see how Canadians feel about it before going into debates

"In one such deal with the U.S., Canada has agreed to share information on the illicit trade of counterfeit and pirated goods."

Get ready for C&D letters directly from American film and television studios!

Pedrito

The TPP might be a good, bad or awful deal, but the discussions about it on the Internet are barely above the level of 9/11 truthers stuff. Suddenly all college students are experts in trade and law because they watched two youtube videos or listened to a Bernie Sanders speech. Hyperboles abound and you get most ridiculous hypothecal situations. No you won't get sued for singing happy birthday...

It's quite frustrating as it doesn't seem like we can get a clear view about the positive and negatives aspects. At 6000 pages, who the hell will read it and summarize it in a useful way?

I get the feeling that the globalization ship has sailed and we have to roll with it. At least until the next global cataclysmic event.

There's no real benefit to coming down too strongly on one side or the other when it comes to Keystone. Its failure is all Harper's, so there's no sense in being outraged -- that would fly in the face of their environmental stance and their promise to improve the tone of our relationship with the United States -- and being too happy would just be seen as dancing on the Conservatives' grave/taking pleasure in Alberta's misfortune. Just letting it die is a pretty viable strategy
until Transcanada sues under NAFTA

Got an email from the PM to my impartial public servant inbox. Feels good, man. It's early still but this government is hitting all the right notes.

My wife and my mom are both public servants too, and they're over the moon at how the new Liberal minister has been treating the department so far. Apparently, not treating your own employees like the enemy makes for a more positive work environment. Shocking.

Yeah, but a 47 point ass kicking?

Reminder: Selinger is the most disliked premier in Canada. He's so toxic, he helped tank the federal NDP during this past election -- remember the Nanos poll where they were at, like, 2%? I don't know what the opposition in Manitoba is like, but the ingredients are there for the Manitoba NDP to get thoroughly routed.

Anyone know what Gary Doer is doing now? Maybe he can come back and save them from oblivion. (Unless he's been tainted with Harper's stench, of course.)

pr0cs

taking pleasure in Alberta's misfortune.
Meh,par for the course really, those Canadians reveling in the loss are happy that it means a lot less money for the country as a whole but...who cares right, fuck Alberta, about time they got their commupance or so I've been told here a few times now

mo60

Reminder: Selinger is the most disliked premier in Canada. He's so toxic, he helped tank the federal NDP during this past election -- remember the Nanos poll where they were at, like, 2%? I don't know what the opposition in Manitoba is like, but the ingredients are there for the Manitoba NDP to get thoroughly routed.

Anyone know what Gary Doer is doing now? Maybe he can come back and save them from oblivion. (Unless he's been tainted with Harper's stench, of course.)

It was actually an EKOS poll that showed the federal NDP at 2% support in Manitoba. About Selinger I would not be surprised if he pulled off another victory looking at his opponents especially his PC opponent who has said a lot of controversial and if I recall offensive stuff in the past and is a former alliance and conservative MPl. It's possible the PC's 20 point lead will evaporate by election time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The TPP might be a good, bad or awful deal, but the discussions about it on the Internet are barely above the level of 9/11 truthers stuff. Suddenly all college students are experts in trade and law because they watched two youtube videos or listened to a Bernie Sanders speech. Hyperboles abound and you get most ridiculous hypothecal situations. No you won't get sued for singing happy birthday...

It's quite frustrating as it doesn't seem like we can get a clear view about the positive and negatives aspects. At 6000 pages, who the hell will read it and summarize it in a useful way?

I get the feeling that the globalization ship has sailed and we have to roll with it. At least until the next global cataclysmic event.
The thing is that it's so expansive that there's fuckery for everyone.
The time to generics for pharmaceuticals, for example, increases in all the countries under the TPP to be more in line with American rules.

Oh, the corporate tribunal thing is funny too. I only mention it because John Oliver recently did a piece on how tobacco companies are using existing trade deals to sue countries into reversing anti-smoking legislation like the "scary packaging" laws that we have here in Canada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsHHOCH4q8

on a serious note, the US is hypocritical on the excuses of opposing KXL since they have increased fracking on home soill and have colluded with OPEC and their Saudi overlords to put to squeeze on Russia oil and Iranian oil

The US going about being holier than though on Climate Change is laughable at best

firehawk12

Subete no aware
on a serious note, the US is hypocritical on the excuses of opposing KXL since they have increased fracking on home soill and have colluded with OPEC and their Saudi overlords to put to squeeze on Russia oil and Iranian oil

The US going about being holier than though on Climate Change is laughable at best
But Fracking is clean! Really!

Pedrito

The time to generics for pharmaceuticals, for example, increases in all the countries under the TPP to be more in line with American rules.

Oh, the corporate tribunal thing is funny too. I only mention it because John Oliver recently did a piece on how tobacco companies are using existing trade deals to sue countries into reversing anti-smoking legislation like the "scary packaging" laws that we have here in Canada:

The higher prices for drugs is a valid concern. Same for ISDS, but it already exists in other trade deals so it's nothing new.

But many of the concerns about the IP provisions are laughable. First, many of the provisions already exists in IP legislation in many countries. The point is also having them in places like Vietnam or Malaysia.

Then, many of the scenarios are completely absurd because they don't take into account the basic rule of risk vs. reward. For example, some people are freaking out because it would be "legal" for a corporation to send malware to brick a device. But the second the news get out that something like this had happened, people would simply buy from a competitor. And there always will be at least one competitor known for "not sending malware" for the good publicity. Think #SonyNoDRM. So there is really no point of doing that aside from wanting to ruin your reputation.

Also, as long as you don't go overboard, you won't get sued for copyright infrigement for stuff you post or download on the Web. Why? Because their lawyer costs more than what they'd get in damages. At least in Canada where courts don't award ridiculous damages for small transgressions. And if they make it a criminal offense, prosecutors won't bother because it's such a waste of judicial resources. "De minimis non curat lex". You can apply the same line of reasoning to most "scenarios" that have come up.

I wouldn't dare post that in the TPP thread because I would get eviscerated and be called a paid shill or something. And I'm not even in favor of the TPP.

Mr.Mike

Interestingly, tobacco companies are specifically excluded from being allowed to sue under this deal.

The most recent Planet Money is about the TPP.
http://www.npr.org/sections/money/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom