• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason Kenney is now saying that children's parents should know if they sign up for a gay straight alliance at school.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/kenney-meets-with-postmedia-editorial-board

What a stupid idea.

These children would know their parents/guardians the best. If it was safe to do so chances are they would have already told them. Therefore you would only be outing the children who didn't think it was safe or ideal to come out. In which case, why the fuck are you outing them to their parents when they have assessed its clearly not in their best interests to do so.

CazTGG

mo60

Stay losing, Albertan PCs. Seriously, their leader is openly advocating outing children. This is not the policy of a party that should be in power in the 2010s (and hopefully won't be come the next Albertan election when the NDP will likely win again).

Jason Kenney is probably not going to be the leader of a united conservative party at this point if it forms.He's way to divisive to the general electorate in Alberta despite what the people who voted him leader of the Alberta PC's think.

maharg

idspispopd
Jason Kenney is probably not going to be the leader of a united conservative party at this point if it forms.He's way to divisive to the general electorate in Alberta despite what the people who voted him leader of the Alberta PC's think.

Yeah, but if it's not him it's probably going to be Fildebrandt lol.

New article by Chantal Hébert: Five things to watch in the Conservative leadership race

Excerpt:

stockwell-day.jpg.size.custom.crop.883x650.jpg

2. Harper’s succession could have turned into a battle-by-proxy between the two factions that resumed their cohabitation within a reunified Conservative party over his decade in power. The old divide between former Tories and ex-Reformers could have resurfaced over the yearlong leadership campaign.

That is not happening.

Or, at least, it is not happening in a defining way.

None of the presumed front-runners has emerged as a stalking horse for one or other of the two factions. If anything, some of the leading figures on both sides of the Conservative schism of the recent past are looking beyond the front-runners for a possible successor to Harper.

From his new niche as Alberta’s Tory leader, Jason Kenney used an editorial board meeting with Postmedia this week to warn Conservative members against O’Leary. He says the reality-TV star is unqualified to lead the federal party.

On Tuesday, former Progressive Conservative leader Peter MacKay showed up at an fundraising event for Ontario MP Erin O’Toole.

Neither Kenney nor MacKay has had a kind word for the identity-driven immigration policies promoted by Leitch.

5. There is little doubt that the choice of a polarizing leader, one who is unloved by his caucus to boot, would shrink the Conservative tent to the Liberals’ advantage.

Anyone who covered the near-implosion of the Canadian Alliance under Stockwell Day 15 years ago has first-hand knowledge of the perils of electing a leader who is not equipped to command or keep the respect of his or her caucus.

It'd be interesting if O'Leary, Bernier or Leitch pull off a win. Like Hebert says, the Conservative caucus has been pretty openly disdainful of each of them, so to turn around and serve under any of them as leader would probably put a strain on the party. Then again, just a few months ago Raitt was saying that O'Leary was wrong for the party and wrong for Canada, and now she's saying she'd be happy serve in his cabinet and his caucus. I don't expect anyone else in that lineup of candidates to show much more backbone, apart from maybe Chong.

That said, it's been interesting to see the response this is getting: Confessions of a self-loathing Tory

The Conservative leadership race has been hard to watch, unless you support the Liberals or any other political party in Canada —in which case it’s been a laugh a minute. But for people like me, I am left wondering how I ended up in a party seemingly dominated by xenophobic, economically illiterate, populist buffoons.
While the majority of naturally conservative voters welcome refugees, believe in climate change, and don’t care if the neighbour smokes weed, the majority of leadership candidates are actively opposed to all those things. And because this latter group dominates the CPC, and has for some time, we ended up here. The Liberals are sitting safely in power, espousing whatever patchwork ideology works best for them this year, while most Conservative leaders inexplicably race each other to the right, abandoning the center entirely. This leaves voters like me cringing as they are forced to make the ridiculous choice between Trudeau or Trost.
Maybe it’s time we considered starting something new: a right of centre party that genuinely believes in individual liberty, that the state has no right to tell us who we can love, what we can smoke or what we can say—a party that doesn’t want to put more people in jail, but rather believes citizens should be given every opportunity possible to defend themselves before the law.
This would be a conservative party that believes in equality for all regardless of race, creed, language, sexual orientation, or gender —a party that doesn’t see feminism as a left-wing plot, that doesn’t worry if we don’t share the same values, and is not frightened of everyone and everything.

I don't think it'll go very far (not least because the author, while a Conservative supporter, also happens to be Catherine McKenna's husband), but it'll be really interesting to see how the party comes back from this leadership race. Even if someone like O'Toole or Scheer wins, they'll still have to figure out how to deal with the fact that people like Leitch and O'Leary will be sitting in caucus, and that extremist voices brought in significant numbers of money and members. I could see them following the lead of the Ontario Tories -- each leader getting successively more extreme, pushing the party increasingly further to the right and making them more unelectable each time.

bremon

My understanding is the looney tunes in the caucus ar why Stephen Harper ruled with an iron fist and held power as close to the PMO as possible.

As a socially progressive person I basically have to stay centre because people like Niki Ashton are just as awkward and embarrassing.

I do feel like as someone who is center left there is no legitimate opposition party for me. The Conservatives are always focused on sticking it to out groups, and the NDP are clown shoes for the most part.

bremon

I'm not opposed to the senate but I'm of the opinion that these people should be vetted properly so they represent people of strong character, not blatant pieces of shit. Probably could have weeded out Beyak in the interview process by asking her questions about minorities and waiting for her to say "good ones" in there somewhere. Maybe a "hot or not" style slide show could have weeded out Meredith. Can't believe some of these damn people.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
A country of this many people only having 1 level of parliament?

Nah, just strip the Senate's ability to stop or delay legislation beyond a year, and/or make the senate elected. Either one.

A country of this many people only having 1 level of parliament?

Nah, just strip the Senate's ability to stop or delay legislation beyond a year, and/or make the senate elected. Either one.

We don't need another layer of elected politicians. We do need a better system of appointing senators though. We can appoint judges very well, we should be able to more or less competently fill the upper chamber.

Sean C

We don't need another layer of elected politicians. We do need a better system of appointing senators though. We can appoint judges very well, we should be able to more or less competently fill the upper chamber.
Well, this lady was appointed by Stephen Harper, so she's not a reflection on the current appointments procedure regardless.

A certain number of bozos is to be expected in any system. The House of Commons certainly isn't lacking in that regard. And with Beyak, her opinions undoubtedly reflect a non-zero percentage of the population (one that is, one hopes, overrepresented on newspaper comments pages).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably the dumb thing is that being a Senator is basically a lifetime appointment.

I can't remember, have any of the self-imposed 8 year Harper Senators stepped down yet? Or has it been less than 8 years since he introduced that rule?

Probably the dumb thing is that being a Senator is basically a lifetime appointment.

I can't remember, have any of the self-imposed 8 year Harper Senators stepped down yet? Or has it been less than 8 years since he introduced that rule?

The reason we do lifetime appointments is that we want Senators to not be beholden to anybody. The same reason we appoint judges to life and pay them well. I'm generally against term limits, if you have a qualified person why show them the door?

The worst thing I can imagine for the Senate is to fill it full of partisan hacks. We already have a chamber for that, we don't need two. Fix the appointment process and the rest will take care of itself.

maharg

idspispopd
Well, you can have term limits and also limit public influence by simply not allowing them re-appointment. Of course, you also have to give them a generous pension so most of them don't feel much need to massively capitalize on their influence while in office. Right now being a senator basically *is* a pension in itself. If they weren't working most of the time they were making money, people would probably complain about the expense.

Personally I think that's worth it because dinosaurs in office are also a bad thing, but I doubt it'd go over in a way that actually worked.

CazTGG

The reason we do lifetime appointments is that we want Senators to not be beholden to anybody. The same reason we appoint judges to life and pay them well. I'm generally against term limits, if you have a qualified person why show them the door?

The worst thing I can imagine for the Senate is to fill it full of partisan hacks. We already have a chamber for that, we don't need two. Fix the appointment process and the rest will take care of itself.

A Canadian Supreme Court Justice stays on the court until they're 75 (assuming they're still able to serve at that age/have not decided to retire earlier) at which point they must retire (The current Chief Justice, Beverly McLachlin, will be retiring in September 2018, assuming she doesn't retire sooner. My thoughts are that the Senate should adopt similar retirement measures to SCoC along with additional rules that would allow the Senate to be penalize or remove a member for misconduct like what we've seen with Beyak and Meredith. As I understand it, that would require an amendment to the Constitution so it would be difficult to entrench them but it would not be an impossible task.

mdubs

Banned
Get rid of the senate.

Sober Second Thought my ass.

This is where I'm at too. I'm not personally aware of any time the Senate has actually been useful in modern history (I'm open to being informed otherwise) aside from them pushing back against the current government's unconstitutional assisting dying legislation (which was a good and salutary thing in my mind, but they were toothless in the end).

Either we give them some consequence in the legislative process by linking them to elections, or we get rid of them. The status quo of straight appointments is not good.

I also don't think that the Supreme Court appointment process is analogous to what we want for Senators considering the vast difference in the role.

This is where I'm at too. I'm not personally aware of any time the Senate has actually been useful in modern history (I'm open to being informed otherwise) aside from them pushing back against the current government's unconstitutional assisting dying legislation (which was a good and salutary thing in my mind, but they were toothless in the end).

Either we give them some consequence in the legislative process by linking them to elections, or we get rid of them. The status quo of straight appointments is not good.

I also don't think that the Supreme Court appointment process is analogous to what we want for Senators considering the vast difference in the role.

The Senate can still do some good, they gave us the amazing Bill S-201 (Genetic Non-Discrimination Act) which has almost made it to Royal Assent. Thats something the House would have taken forever to get done, if at all. Especially considering the governments opposition to it

Sean C

A Canadian Supreme Court Justice stays on the court until they're 75 (assuming they're still able to serve at that age/have not decided to retire earlier) at which point they must retire (The current Chief Justice, Beverly McLachlin, will be retiring in September 2018, assuming she doesn't retire sooner. My thoughts are that the Senate should adopt similar retirement measures to SCoC along with additional rules that would allow the Senate to be penalize or remove a member for misconduct like what we've seen with Beyak and Meredith. As I understand it, that would require an amendment to the Constitution so it would be difficult to entrench them but it would not be an impossible task.
Senators already have a mandatory retirement age of 75. That was provided for by the British North America Act, 1965.

While an amendment could make this more explicit, most legal scholars are of the opinion that the Senate already has the authority to remove members for misconduct under the general provisions of Section 18 of the Constitution Act, 1867.

There should be some method to keep them accountable to the people, directly or indirectly.

That's not at all the purpose of the Senate, and it never has been. The Supreme Court ruled just a few years ago, in smacking down Harper's proposed reforms, that the Senate exists to serve as a place of sober second thought. I know that's a clichéd statement at this point, but it's also true -- it really is there to serve a review and analysis function, and to create legislation like the genetic discrimination bill that wouldn't have a big constituency in the House. I'm interested in seeing how Trudeau's reforms impact the Senate, because I could see a legislature full of independent senators having a pretty drastic impact on how our country functions. It won't be immediately apparent, but eventually I think they'll start to assert themselves in interesting (and hopefully beneficial) ways.

maharg

idspispopd
I'm pretty worried about the idea of senators not believing that they're serving, as a whole, at the whim of the population's tolerance to their anti-democratic nature. A truly "independent" senate should, imo, be pretty worrying, so I'm not at all a fan of Trudeau's attempts in this vein. I think he'll probably regret it personally, if anything.

To be clear, this doesn't mean I think they should be elected (I've said that a lot of times at this point), but the body itself exists because the people as a whole are ok with its existence. The threat of its removal is an important check against its tremendous power. The more willing the senate is to make active rather than passive decisions, the more likely it is they'll obstruct their own removal given a truly popular movement to do so, and that would be a crisis.

CazTGG

Senators already have a mandatory retirement age of 75. That was provided for by the British North America Act, 1965.

While an amendment could make this more explicit, most legal scholars are of the opinion that the Senate already has the authority to remove members for misconduct under the general provisions of Section 18 of the Constitution Act, 1867.

My mistake on retirement requirements, though as it's being currently demonstrated with Meredith, expelling a senator is far more difficult a process than it should be since there isn't any legal precedent one can look at. The invocation of Section 18, a section which has rarely ever been used in Canada's history, would likely require a court ruling to officially allow the Senate able to remove a sitting member as opposed to suspension without pay for a given session.

That's not at all the purpose of the Senate, and it never has been. The Supreme Court ruled just a few years ago, in smacking down Harper's proposed reforms, that the Senate exists to serve as a place of sober second thought. I know that's a clichéd statement at this point, but it's also true -- it really is there to serve a review and analysis function, and to create legislation like the genetic discrimination bill that wouldn't have a big constituency in the House. I'm interested in seeing how Trudeau's reforms impact the Senate, because I could see a legislature full of independent senators having a pretty drastic impact on how our country functions. It won't be immediately apparent, but eventually I think they'll start to assert themselves in interesting (and hopefully beneficial) ways.

Well, I'm not necessarily advocating elections (hence why I mentioned "indirectly"). I'm okay with the Prime Minister or Premiers appointing them, but there should still be a process or method to keep them accountable. What can anybody do about that senator that's running off her mouth about Residential Schools? In a Parliament, you'd vote her out: elections are the method of keeping MPs accountable to their constituents. There doesn't appear to be any accountability measure for the Senate. unless they do something outright illegal.

Vamphuntr

Pretty funny to watch what is happening with Bombardier in QC right now. Even Couillard's government is embarrassed. After losing almost a billion last year, eliminating 7500 jobs, being close to bankruptcy and after begging a cool 1 billion $USD from the QC government and 2 billion $USD investment from the CDPQ in their transport division they've voted ridiculous bonuses to their executives. The high life is back, time to burn fresh public money after being rewarded for burning the company into the ground. The fired employees must be fuming right now.

Loved the fact that Couillard tried to spin the poor deal he got in the C Series spinoff company as a positive otherwise he would have had to intervene in this mess.

SRG01

Pretty funny to watch what is happening with Bombardier in QC right now. Even Couillard's government is embarrassed. After losing almost a billion last year, eliminating 7500 jobs, being close to bankruptcy and after begging a cool 1 billion $USD from the QC government and 2 billion $USD investment from the CDPQ in their transport division they've voted ridiculous bonuses to their executives. The high life is back, time to burn fresh public money after being rewarded for burning the company into the ground. The fired employees must be fuming right now.

Loved the fact that Couillard tried to spin the poor deal he got in the C Series spinoff company as a positive otherwise he would have had to intervene in this mess.

Their bailout should've been like the GM deal -- complete corporate restructuring including the board members and CEO.

That, and the QC government should've received shares of the company.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Of the remaining 13 of Harper's first batch of 18 appointees, only one (New Brunswick senator John Wallace) did.
lol

I wonder if there would have been a way for Harper to make them retire anyway, assuming he even gave a shit.

8 years sounds like a good time. That's basically one or two terms of a government.

Watched part of the CPC debate on illegal immigration. All brought good points though leitch sounded like a clinton teleprompter.

Mainpoints, renegociate this third world treaty with the states, increase economic migration, more refugees sponsored by the private sector, increasing border patrol across these vast areas being exploited, Trudeau resinding his tweet about how Canada has welcoming arms as that sends the wrong message, most agreed the RCMP are already well funded and are taking care of this situation quite well though a couple disagreed, Deepak (thats his name right?) wanted to lessen the vetting process and get immigrants and refugees processed faster (he did not word it this way but its the same thing), and family reunification was also a big thing.

all around good answers from everyone I heard

CazTGG

Watched part of the CPC debate on illegal immigration. All brought good points though leitch sounded like a clinton teleprompter.

Mainpoints, renegociate this third world treaty with the states, increase economic migration, more refugees sponsored by the private sector, increasing border patrol across these vast areas being exploited, Trudeau resinding his tweet about how Canada has welcoming arms as that sends the wrong message, most agreed the RCMP are already well funded and are taking care of this situation quite well though a couple disagreed, Deepak (thats his name right?) wanted to lessen the vetting process and get immigrants and refugees processed faster (he did not word it this way but its the same thing), and family reunification was also a big thing.

all around good answers from everyone I heard

Which tweet was that? This one (which is still up)?

There are issues with Canada's current handling of the influx of refugee claims made by those crossing the U.S. border, mostly in regards to the immigration system being so rigid and in need of overhaul that people would suffer through frostbite and the possibility of arrest by crossing the border undocumented in order to flee from the possibility of deportation (see: Mohammed, Seidu) as opposed to seeking to immigrate to Canada through official channels. While renegotiating the Safe 3rd Country Agreement would be a step in the right direction given the horror stories of arrests and deportations that have come from the United States, the current system is need of a major overhaul (in addition to the removal of the many changes the Harper government made that make the path to citizenship more difficult, especially for families and low-skill workers) in order to deal with the increasingly important influx of immigrants by making the process easier, faster and less prone to errors, to say nothing of improving health care for refugees among other areas in need of improvement. As an aside, I do find it an interesting coincidence that we're currently discussing immigration reform with Justin Trudeau in power when his father was responsible for imposing immigration reform in the 70s that, for what faults it did possess, began to remove the underlying favoritism for white Europeans within the immigration system.

Also, got to love the Regress Party's remnants using similarly coded anti-immigrant statement a la "immigration based on economic needs".

Harper already tried that, and didn't get anywhere.

Too busy watching TVs and movie to work it out.

Im not entirely opposed to the immigration changes the Harper govt brought, as least to what I know which isnt much, though I wish most cpc voters realized their wish for tough as shit immigration laws was already established..

and yeah that was the right tweet.

mo60

I wonder how brad wall feels about this recent poll.
http://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/wall-approval-falls-budget-disapproval/

The Sask Party may be wiped out of Regina in 2020 if they continue to poll around 35% there.

I think it's likely the Sask NDP could win around 25 seats in the next election if this trend continues. Since it's impossible to form a minority government right now in Saskatchewan unless the Sask Liberals are revived as a political party if the Sask Party loses their majority they will lose the next election.

Sean C

So far the incumbent parties are all cruising in the by-elections. Liberals are presently above 50% in their ridings, the Tories have 70%+ in the Calgary seats.

Edit: A welcome to the House of Commons to Emmanuella Lambropoulos, Mona Fortier, Mary Ng, Stephanie Kusie and Bob Benzen. That's +4 for women in the House, which is nice.

mo60

So far the incumbent parties are all cruising in the by-elections. Liberals are presently above 50% in their ridings, the Tories have 70%+ in the Calgary seats.

Edit: A welcome to the House of Commons to Emmanuella Lambropoulos, Mona Fortier, Mary Ng, Stephanie Kusie and Bob Benzen. That's +4 for women in the House, which is nice.

The federal NDP are doing ridiculously well in Ottawa-Vanier right now.And I love all the people using the calgary byelection results to declare how doomed the AB NDP are in 2019.

And yeah Brad Wall wasn't always going to have 50+ approval ratings and his party was not going to be polling above 50% forever.

Like I said the Sask NDP is in a good position to win like 25+ seats in the next provincial election if this trend continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom