• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So Sheer basically the last worst out of the three of O'Toole, Chong, and Raitt? lol

What a way to vote... reminds me of a real election!

I was waiting for the first post-O'Leary withdrawal polling to come out to complete my ballot. Seems like we now have that data although it'll be spelled out more clearly tomorrow.

Bernier is the clear front-runner. Scheer is the stopper candidate. O'Toole is who I'm backing to win because others like Chong or Raitt don't seem to have a chance... BUT they're easy to vote for because they'll likely have dropped from the race BEFORE O'Toole does given his status.

So my completed ballot will be...

1) Erin O'Toole
2) Lisa Raitt
3) Andrew Saxton
4) Michael Chong
5) Andrew Scheer

The vote for Scheer at the bottom of our ballots is important because it will count against Bernier and Leitch should everyone else drop off and the ballot won't be completely spoiled. Unless, of course, you're fine with Bernier winning. I'm not because it forces me to vote Trudeau in 2019 and I can't hold him accountable for squat should I choose to do so. But others might be fine with that end result should you consider Bernier an auto-win for the Liberals and you're happy with that.

I might even throw Bernier down there in 6th on the off-chance that Leitch's pull is stronger than we all realize as it would at least weigh my ballot in his favor over her should the race be narrowed down to those two individuals.

I think including both O'Toole and Scheer is the safe thing to do. I think it's significantly more likely that it comes down to Bernier versus one of them than we get a final of Bernier vs. Leitch. I know you can't look at it totally logically, but Leitch's probable down-ballot support would come from the people who vote for Brad Trost, Pierre Lemieux, and Steven Blaney -- all total non-contenders. I think she'll get a bit of a post-O'Leary bump, but that's not going to be enough to make her a viable contender. She'll have a decent showing on the first ballot (I'll guess a very close third place, with around 18-20%), but her room for growth is pretty limited, even assuming that many of her voters are too shy to admit to pollsters that they support her.

Of course, if you're rooting for chaos (rather than rooting for an Official Opposition that isn't run by crazy people), Bernier vs. Leitch would be pretty interesting. Most of caucus support has gone to O'Toole and Scheer, and a lot of those MPs and Senators have made it clear they wouldn't support either Bernier and Leitch. The small CPC Quebec caucus have pointedly refused to endorse Bernier, and I think all the other leadership candidates have insulted Leitch. If it's Bernier or Leitch, I could imagine the CPC -- at least in Parliament -- splitting, Democratic Representative Caucus-style. From a partisan Liberal point of view, that would be amazing to see, but as someone who wants our democracy to continue to function, I'd hope that it doesn't.

You're just doing 5?

Right now I have Chong, O'Toole, and Raitt. I don't know who Saxton or Scheer are, but I could rank them 4-5 since I don't really know any of them other than Obhrai for being a bit of a goofball. And Bernier I suppose. lol

Scheer is basically a blander version of Stephen Harper, while, as UberTag explained, Saxton is the most generic businessman Conservative imaginable. He's a former MP, and he has no chance of winning.

And Obhrai is a goofball, but he's got better policy ideas than most of the other candidates. Plus, throwing him a vote is implicitly sticking it to the racist wing of the CPC.

Sean C

Following up on my earlier comments on the BC election polling, there's now significant divergence among the pollsters in terms of what's being predicted, as two new polls have come out giving the BC Liberals their first (narrow) leads since February:

BC%20election%20polls_zpse9ciuiya.png

Meanwhile, the other pollsters see a much wider gap in favour of the NDP.

In a week, we find out who's right.

SRG01

Following up on my earlier comments on the BC election polling, there's now significant divergence among the pollsters in terms of what's being predicted, as two new polls have come out giving the BC Liberals their first (narrow) leads since February:

Have online polls been reliable in previous provincial/federal elections? That's the only difference I see between the Liberal and NDP leading polls.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Went Scheer and Obhrai as 4 and 5 and then just randomly did the others. Although maybe I could have put O'Leary down since it doesn't matter. lol

The debates took place April 20 and April 26, so the last poll in that snapshot is outdated.

I don't know Justason Marketing Intelligence at all, but my general rule is that if Forum is saying one thing and someone else is saying another, go with the other.

How likely is it that they redo the CPC ballot due to keeping O'Leary on after he dropped out?

Not very likely. The ballots have all been mailed out, and since it's ranked voting they'll just redistribute whatever first choice votes he gets to the #2 choices. If anyone is 1 & done in voting after O'Leary, they can just discard the ballots, like they'd do normally.

I'm not big on BC politics but I find it hilarious that Christy Clark will manage to snag another win. LOL

when I saw Clark threaten retaliation against Trump over softwood lumber, that's when I knew that average voters would flock to her.

Quebec news: Wait times have not improved ever since having a Doctor as Premier and a having a Doctor has Health Minister. LOL in a non LOL sarcastic way

UberTag

So my completed ballot will be...

1) Erin O'Toole
2) Lisa Raitt
3) Andrew Saxton
4) Michael Chong
5) Deepak Obhrai
6) Andrew Scheer
7) Maxime Bernier
Updated my ballot to include Obhrai and Bernier (as per reasons stated above).
Will be mailing it out in the next day or so. Glad to have this monkey off my back.

I'm not. Whenever elections come up, the most important thing you can tell someone is to vote - not for whom to vote.
Tell that to the Americans who are now saddled with Trump for 4 years. Ill-informed voters did a lot of damage there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You have until August 17th to buy your NDP membership, so there's no urgency -- and besides, it's not like either party has any way of knowing that you have a membership with the other!
I know, I don't want to break any rules though. lol

What's the cost to pony up for an NDP membership? Comparable to what we shelled out to join the Conservatives?
It looks like it's pay what you want. I'm not sure if there's an actual minimum though, or if you can just buy a dollar membership.

Vibranium

Banned
I really hope Horgan is able to somehow pull it a rabbit out of a hat for the last week, I really want a miracle NDP win. But yes as I've said before, I know the reality (on the bright side a Liberal minority would be much better than before). I do think that JH will remain on as leader to the next election though, so things should remain stable moving forward. And the Greens may continue to make inroads.

Probably going to sign up for federal NDP party membership to vote on the next leader too. I'll have to do my research on the candidates since Nathan Cullen sadly isn't running.

What's the cost to pony up for an NDP membership? Comparable to what we shelled out to join the Conservatives?

It's either more or less expensive, depending on your situation. It's generally $25, but less if you're a student, union member, if you're unemployed/underemployed, etc.

RE: who's running, right now there are only four official candidates: Niki Ashton, Charlie Angus, Guy Caron, and Peter Julian. They're all MPs. Ashton and Angus are fighting over who gets to be the Bernie-style candidate, Caron is running on Basic Income, and Peter Julian is the most boring man in the world.

They also have another two people registered with Elections Canada, but they haven't met the NDP requirements in terms of signatures: Pat Stogran (former military, not a member of the NDP) and Ibrahim Bruno El-Khoury (I know literally nothing about him).

On top of that, Jagmeet Singh (MPP from Brampton) is almost definitely running, and I've heard he's announcing after the BC election ends. He's being attacked for being substance-free, but he looks pretty good in a suit, and the race is structured in a way that should be favourable to him.

Someone told me they may have up to 11 candidates by the summer, but if there are, the other four will all be relative nobodies.

maharg

idspispopd
Bernier is gonna win with the numbers from that last poll. With only Scheer even challenging him second choice support is gonna concentrate around the two of them and bernier will get to 50% first. That plus the Quebec advantage, especially.

Here's the poll in question: Bernier 31, Scheer 22, O'Toole 11.

Quebec is going to play a pretty big role, but I don't know that that's necessarily to Bernier's advantage. All the other Quebec MPs have been going for O'Toole, including Gerard Deltell, who apparently holds much more sway in the province than Bernier.

I think Bernier is probably most likely at this point, but I think it's not as sure a thing as a lot of people are suggesting.

Sean C

Have online polls been reliable in previous provincial/federal elections? That's the only difference I see between the Liberal and NDP leading polls.
I looked at the polls for the last BC election, and it seems like the online polls were actually more favourable to the NDP than IVR ones.

Kifimbo

Quebec is going to play a pretty big role, but I don't know that that's necessarily to Bernier's advantage. All the other Quebec MPs have been going for O'Toole, including Gerard Deltell, who apparently holds much more sway in the province than Bernier.

Deltell sure has influence, but he's not on the ballot. O'Toole is, and 99% of the Quebec population has no idea who he is, even after this leadership campaign. It's not like he was a key minister under Harper.

SRG01

I looked at the polls for the last BC election, and it seems like the online polls were actually more favourable to the NDP than IVR ones.

lol, I'm secretly hoping for a BC NDP win just to see BC and AB duke it out on provincial interests despite technically being the same party :D

maharg

idspispopd
Here's the poll in question: Bernier 31, Scheer 22, O'Toole 11.

I think Bernier is probably most likely at this point, but I think it's not as sure a thing as a lot of people are suggesting.

I'm not saying Quebec is decisive, but in combination with those numbers?

There's just no way someone else catches up to 50 before he does. For the "coming up the middle" thing to work you really need to actually have a middle. There's no middle here.

Deltell sure has influence, but he's not on the ballot. O'Toole is, and 99% of the Quebec population has no idea who he is, even after this leadership campaign. It's not like he was a key minister under Harper.

For sure, and that'll hurt him if he's leading the CPC in 2019. In a leadership contest, though, it's all about who has the best machinery behind them, since it's strictly about motivating the party base. Being known doesn't necessarily hurt, but it's mainly a numbers game.

Just to be clear, though, I totally agree that Bernier winning is the most likely outcome right now.

EDIT: the reason I'm not convinced it's done is that we've seen several leadership elections where the front-runner with a commanding first ballot lead couldn't make the jump. Look at the Liberals in 2006: Ignatieff came out of the first ballot with 30% - a 10 point lead over Rae. The winner was the guy who finished 12 points back on the first ballot. Or look at Alberta: in 2006 Ed Stelmach came from 15 points back and third place on the first ballot to be the eventual winner, while in 2011 Alison Redford was 20+ points back on the first ballot and still came from behind to win. Very different voting systems in both cases, but they show how hard it is for frontrunner candidates to make the jump to 50%+1.

Tiktaalik

Christy Clark having her Tony Abbott moment (PG rated though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYcBd8avnOI

-----------------

for those who don't know what Tony Abbott moment I am reffereing to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxu_VJ2ZhQY

You'd think stuff like this would sink a politician but the BC Liberals are made of teflon and I wouldn't be surprised if this makes no difference at all and the party cruises to yet another majority government.

This is a government that has no restrictions on corprorate, union or foreign donations and has taken in incredible amounts of money. They've had heaps of scandals over the years that would sink any normal government. Even the New York Times(!!!) has weighed in multiple times on the gross state of politics in BC. Nothing sticks.

Socreges

Banned
You'd think stuff like this would sink a politician but the BC Liberals are made of teflon and I wouldn't be surprised if this makes no difference at all and the party cruises to yet another majority government.

This is a government that has no restrictions on corprorate, union or foreign donations and has taken in incredible amounts of money. They've had heaps of scandals over the years that would sink any normal government. Even the New York Times(!!!) has weighed in multiple times on the gross state of politics in BC. Nothing sticks.
Eh, I wouldn't think that would sink her. And it shouldn't. It's one person's opinion.

I like her spin, though. "She said she's never voted Liberal!" No...no, she never said that. It's not just about her idiology, Christy.

UberTag

Just to be clear, though, I totally agree that Bernier winning is the most likely outcome right now.

EDIT: the reason I'm not convinced it's done is that we've seen several leadership elections where the front-runner with a commanding first ballot lead couldn't make the jump. Look at the Liberals in 2006: Ignatieff came out of the first ballot with 30% - a 10 point lead over Rae. The winner was the guy who finished 12 points back on the first ballot. Or look at Alberta: in 2006 Ed Stelmach came from 15 points back and third place on the first ballot to be the eventual winner, while in 2011 Alison Redford was 20+ points back on the first ballot and still came from behind to win. Very different voting systems in both cases, but they show how hard it is for frontrunner candidates to make the jump to 50%+1.
I have a hard time seeing Bernier as a lot of folks 2nd or 3rd choice. If they're voting for him, chances are they're putting him 1st. Otherwise, he's probably not showing up.
The only reason he even wound up on my ballot at all was at the bottom as a last-gasp check on Leitch.

Eh, I wouldn't think that would sink her. And it shouldn't. It's one person's opinion.

I like her spin, though. "She said she's never voted Liberal!" No...no, she never said that. It's not just about her idiology, Christy.
Her spin was that they accused her of being an NDP plant, and it took 5 days of journalists disproving that accusation until the BC Liberals issued this statement:

On Tuesday, after days of controversy, the Liberals issued a statement that said: ”We're happy to stand corrected," though the party did not elaborate, despite a request to do so.
This comes a few months after Christy Clark accused the NDP of hacking their computers, only to be forced to apologize days later after it turned out the material that was discovered via their website was readily available to the public.

Leeness

Loooool I just got a flyer from O'Toole and his slogan is:

"A rock-ribbed conservative that everybody likes!"

Lololol REALLY. THAT'S what you came up with?? 😂 Rock-ribbed lol

CazTGG

Loooool I just got a flyer from O'Toole and his slogan is:

"A rock-ribbed conservative that everybody likes!"

Lololol REALLY. THAT'S what you came up with?? �� Rock-ribbed lol

I mean, points for the alliteration but now all I can think of is a rock crab with a serious workout regiment.

If Bernier wins, Trudeau wins.

But by how much, exactly? It's likely the Liberals will win 2019 short of a terrorist attack, failure to legalize marijuana or economic collapse if Bernier wins, but I doubt Bernier will cause western provinces, the maritimes or territories to sway from one party to the other in any significant fashion. If anything, he's likely to swing a few seats to the CPC in Quebec, potentially enough to reduce the Liberal majority to a minority.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I mean, points for the alliteration but now all I can think of is a rock crab with a serious workout regiment.

But by how much, exactly? It's likely the Liberals will win 2019 short of a terrorist attack, failure to legalize marijuana or economic collapse if Bernier wins, but I doubt Bernier will cause western provinces, the maritimes or territories to sway from one party to the other in any significant fashion. If anything, he's likely to swing a few seats to the CPC in Quebec, potentially enough to reduce the Liberal majority to a minority.

Could be, you can't expect Trudeau's majority to last much longer anyway. Still better than losing the PMship.

Sean C

If he runs a bad/uninspired campaign, they could lose seats elsewhere.

Also, the type of Quebec seats that the Tories would be likely to pick up under Bernier would come from the Bloc and the NDP, not the Liberals.

Leeness

Ribbed for your pleasure

Both of these are good lol.

Like, does he think people are going down their ballots and stopping at his name and being all "oh, that rock-ribbed guy. I heard everybody liked him. Let's vote for him"?

Just a really funny slogan. 😂

CazTGG

Both of these are good lol.

Like, does he think people are going down their ballots and stopping at his name and being all "oh, that rock-ribbed guy. I heard everybody liked him. Let's vote for him"?

Just a really funny slogan. 😂

Canadian PoliGAF - 43rd Parliament: Canada's Got Some Rocking Ribs!

I have a hard time seeing Bernier as a lot of folks 2nd or 3rd choice. If they're voting for him, chances are they're putting him 1st. Otherwise, he's probably not showing up.
The only reason he even wound up on my ballot at all was at the bottom as a last-gasp check on Leitch.

Yep -- it's the trouble with being a frontrunner. It's possible to run a successful frontrunner campaign (i.e. Trudeau in 2013, Ignatieff in 2009, or Mulcair in 2012 to a lesser extent), but you need to have a massive advantage over the other campaigns and no viable alternative. Bernier is way ahead in money, but O'Toole and Scheer have significantly more caucus and organizational support, and he's running on a much more divisive platform than you'd usually see.

If Bernier wins, Trudeau wins.

I think you could say this about any of the candidates. All of them have pretty glaring fatal flaws.

Obviously Atlantic Canada can't go any more Liberal than it already is. But Bernier could be a major liability to the Conservatives in southern Ontario. It's going to be really easy to paint him as anti-farmer, plus his stance on immigration and multiculturalism may be a massive liability in the 905 area. I can't speak to western Canada, but my impression is that his opposition to supply management will be a little more popular there -- but even then, winning over rural farmers in Alberta and Saskatchewan should be a gimme for a CPC leader, not the specific group he's targeting.

When he (inevitably) comes to Ottawa, we'll take to the street.

I'll be shocked if Trump comes to a major city if he visits Canada. I think there's a slim chance he'd visit one of his properties, but it's more likely that he either doesn't come at all or goes to some rural resort in the middle of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom