• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

CazTGG

he will probably go to one of his hotels, either Vancouver or Toronto

I can just imagine him tweeting about it from the 153rd floor:

"So many rude people are surrounding my tremendous tower in Toronto. Clearly upset the failing Leafs didn't make it to the playoffs. Sad!"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/supreme-court-gerard-comeau-1.4097320

Supreme Court agrees to hear appeal of cross-border booze case

The Supreme Court of Canada has agreed to hear an appeal of a New Brunswick court ruling that declared it unconstitutional to limit the amount of alcohol someone can bring into the province.

this could be the constitutional sledge hammer that slams those stupid Provincial protectionist rules.

everyone on this board knows that I am anti-Provinces. I hope that all these inter-Provincial trade restrictions get smashed down.

power to the Canadian consummer to buy whatever he legally can anywhere in Canada

Ondore

Unfortunate side effect of signing up for the Conservatives: Used my personal email instead of a burner and have been getting spammed for weeks.

Not surprisingly, the only candidate who hasn't offered an unsubscribe option? Leitch.

CazTGG

Unfortunate side effect of signing up for the Conservatives: Used my personal email instead of a burner and have been getting spammed for weeks.

Not surprisingly, the only candidate who hasn't offered an unsubscribe option? Leitch.

Not having an unsubscribe button is just another example of her common sense policy.

cpcldr-racetothebottom-banner.gif

Apathy

I really can't believe the shit happening to our USA friends with Trump and that new Healthcare bill. Every day I am so glad my parents went with Canada instead of the US to immigrate to.

Don't they legally have to have an unsubscribe button?

bremon

Filled out my ballot today. Once the underdogs are out I suppose this is a vote for Harper 2.0 but at least he's not an insane racist. Also got the rock-rib letter from The Toole today. Something along the lines of "Ideas for a big tent party both fiscal conservatives and social conservatives can call home". Fiscal conservatives...I can have a conversation with about ideals and policy. I'm interested in their rationale. Social conservatives? Fuck you. Homophobia, transphobia, islamophobia, and racism are all things that seem to have a sleeping bag in the Social Conservative Big Tent. The last meeting I had with a CPC MP the following talking point was discussed re: natives and reserves; "how long do we keep giving them money? At what point is it enough? At what point is just an apology acceptable?". Needless to say the university student who brought up the topic of aboriginal living conditions on reserves left feeling disheartened.

CazTGG

Filled out my ballot today. Once the underdogs are out I suppose this is a vote for Harper 2.0 but at least he's not an insane racist. Also got the rock-rib letter from The Toole today. Something along the lines of "Ideas for a big tent party both fiscal conservatives and social conservatives can call home". Fiscal conservatives...I can have a conversation with about ideals and policy. I'm interested in their rationale. Social conservatives? Fuck you. Homophobia, transphobia, islamophobia, and racism are all things that seem to have a sleeping bag in the Social Conservative Big Tent. The last meeting I had with a CPC MP the following talking point was discussed re: natives and reserves; "how long do we keep giving them money? At what point is it enough? At what point is just an apology acceptable?". Needless to say the university student who brought up the topic of aboriginal living conditions on reserves left feeling disheartened.

Oh, I would have had a field day if I met this MP, especially since i'm sure he's one of those scummy trash heaps that voted for Harper's changes to Status Indian/Metis as a cost-saving measure or for bills C-27 and C-45 as well as other pieces of legislation that ended up with a grossly disproportionate amount of indigenous Canadian women in jail as a result and thousands dead without an investigation by the party more concerned with how women dress than with the poverty-stricken, racially discriminated (you're 1.1 more times likely to be pulled over if you're indigenous than if you're white) and underfunded group that is Canada's indigenous population.

Oh, but i'm sure a few thousand dollars and another apology would be too hard. Cry me a trail of tears.

Boogie

I'll be shocked if Trump comes to a major city if he visits Canada. I think there's a slim chance he'd visit one of his properties, but it's more likely that he either doesn't come at all or goes to some rural resort in the middle of nowhere.

If he's not keeping up the tradition of one of his first foreign visits to Canada, my feeling is he won't be coming to Canada until we host a G7 summit......which we do next year. :-/

And yeah, no way we host a summit in the trump era anywhere other than some remote resort.

I hope.

bremon

Oh, I would have had a field day if I met this MP, especially since i'm sure he's one of those scummy trash heaps that voted for Harper's changes to Status Indian/Metis as a cost-saving measure or for bills C-27 and C-45 as well as other pieces of legislation that ended up with a grossly disproportionate amount of indigenous Canadian women in jail as a result and thousands dead without an investigation by the party more concerned with how women dress than with the poverty-stricken, racially discriminated (you're 1.1 more times likely to be pulled over if you're indigenous than if you're white) and underfunded group that is Canada's indigenous population.

Oh, but i'm sure a few thousand dollars and another apology would be too hard. Cry me a trail of tears.
Most negativity came from some older constituents who used their 10% Metis heritage or "friendship with some good ones" as a platform to give us their "informed" opinions.

Pedrito

I really can't believe the shit happening to our USA friends with Trump and that new Healthcare bill. Every day I am so glad my parents went with Canada instead of the US to immigrate to.

And the Democrats are still tearing themselves appart over Hillary v. Bernie and will continue to do so. Things look dark for sure.

Mr.Mike

Hosting the G7 or any sort of summit that always attracts protests in any major city is kinda silly. There's lots of places where the G7 can meet without shutting a major city down. Especially with such a controversial US President.

And the Democrats are still tearing themselves appart over Hillary v. Bernie and will continue to do so. Things look dark for sure.

That conversation a proxy for the conversation about where the Democratic Party should go from here and it's an important one to have that will take a while to figure out. It'd be nice if they could leave the proxy behind but the surest way to fail in the future is to avoid this conversation at all.

Canadian print media is a fucking joke.

The fact that the biggest exposes on the corrupt BC Liberals are being done in the New York Times really says something.

Tiktaalik

Canadian print media is a fucking joke.

The fact that the biggest exposes on the corrupt BC Liberals are being done in the New York Times really says something.

Meanwhile, ignoring their own reporting of the BC Liberals' sketchy fundraising activities, the Globe and Mail releases an editorial: "In B.C., hold your nose and vote Liberal."

Pathetic.

shit got worse when Post Media bought up almost the rest of Sun's scraps.
Montreal Gazette turned to toilet paper after Post Media's aquasition.

right now Canadian-wise, I only read La Presse in French and then sometimes turn to the Toronto Star

Meanwhile, ignoring their own reporting of the BC Liberals' sketchy fundraising activities, the Globe and Mail releases an editorial: "In B.C., hold your nose and vote Liberal."

Pathetic.

You're shocked that the Globe and Mail -- they of "Vote Conservative, but not for Harper" -- would come up with a terrible endorsement? By this point, that should be expected from them.

I'm not sure what's going to save journalism in Canada at this point. Postmedia has been a joke for years, and constantly finds new bottoms to scrape. The Globe is only marginally better. CBC's foray into opinion journalism has been terrible, though at least they kind of provide a service to small/rural communities. The Star is okay, but their scope and viewpoint is relatively limited, and I can see why people wouldn't like it if they were the only game in town. Vice has some interesting stuff, but again, they serve a very specific niche.

I can't speak to Quebec's media landscape, but I don't get the impression it's significantly better...though if they're actively being spied on by the Sûrete, maybe they're not as bad as their anglo counterparts.

You're shocked that the Globe and Mail -- they of "Vote Conservative, but not for Harper" -- would come up with a terrible endorsement? By this point, that should be expected from them.

I'm not sure what's going to save journalism in Canada at this point. Postmedia has been a joke for years, and constantly finds new bottoms to scrape. The Globe is only marginally better. CBC's foray into opinion journalism has been terrible, though at least they kind of provide a service to small/rural communities. The Star is okay, but their scope and viewpoint is relatively limited, and I can see why people wouldn't like it if they were the only game in town. Vice has some interesting stuff, but again, they serve a very specific niche.

I can't speak to Quebec's media landscape, but I don't get the impression it's significantly better...though if they're actively being spied on by the Sûrete, maybe they're not as bad as their anglo counterparts.

La Presse and Le Devoir do good investigation journalism;
I just don't read Le Devoir because they openly support souverenist parties come election time but they do have good journalists.

L'actualité is a weekly mag that puts Macleans to shame.

Le Journal de Montréal however is New York Post + Sun level of trash with lots of hateful commentary and opinions. The JdM readers were salty that Marine Le Pen lost in the comments section just to show who reads that trash.

Tiktaalik

The Globe's reporting by Kathy Thomlinson on Vancouver's housing bubble and related sketchy tax evasion and various realtor schemes was very, very good. Other parts of the paper not so good...

It's getting to the point where finding good journalism in Canada requires following the handful of specific journalists at various papers that do good work.

Sean C

BC%20Polling%20May_zpsrf1dqgf0.png

BC election polling done in May.

On average it seems like the Liberals and NDP are at around 40%, with the Greens getting most of the remaining 20%.

Mr.Mike

La Presse and Le Devoir do good investigation journalism;
I just don't read Le Devoir because they openly support souverenist parties come election time but they do have good journalists.

L'actualité is a weekly mag that puts Macleans to shame.

Le Journal de Montréal however is New York Post + Sun level of trash with lots of hateful commentary and opinions. The JdM readers were salty that Marine Le Pen lost in the comments section just to show who reads that trash.

This is maybe deviating from purely political talk to "Learning French" talk. Would La Presse and Le Devoir be good ways to become more familiar with Quebec French and how it is different from the Parisian French most learning resources teach? Also of the actually good papers, which one do you think would be "easiest" to read?

This is maybe deviating from purely political talk to "Learning French" talk. Would La Presse and Le Devoir be good ways to become more familiar with Quebec French and how it is different from the Parisian French most learning resources teach? Also of the actually good papers, which one do you think would be "easiest" to read?
Language academics and purists in Quebec are more hardcore about maintaining the purity of the French language than the French.

the French will liberally use English words for new tecnhology related words while the Quebcois will find an absoute French word to replace that new English tech word.

Written Quebec French is nearly identical to written French with the exception of new internet and tech related words like cell phones vs mobile phones

Slang is a different story, but we are not talking about slang when it comes to newspapers.

It is nothing like Brazilian Portuguese that has way more differences than Continental Portuguese.

imBask

Banned

you might have a little more luck reading the La Presse Blog for that, or some internet focused "news" outlet. Written Quebec french is usually almost the same as normal french

you might have a little more luck reading the La Presse Blog for that, or some internet focused "news" outlet. Written Quebec french is usually almost the same as normal french
La Presse also has a great app on iPad and tablets called LaPresse+ which is a replacement of the physical newspaper and the app is really well made and easy to navigate

gabbo

Is there anything cbc is good at? Besides boring it's listeners/viewers/readers I mean...
All the things you list, theyre better at than any of the private broadcasters and a majority of newpapers...Radio I only listen to The Signal on Radio2 so I can't speak to radio1 at all

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
A lot of people in politics make big money in real estate. Big conflict of interest that will be difficult to eliminate, and actions will usually only be taken after a lot of damage has been done.

pr0cs

All the things you list, theyre better at than any of the private broadcasters and a majority of newpapers...Radio I only listen to The Signal on Radio2 so I can't speak to radio1 at all
Man I hope you are joking, Canadian programming is terribad. The majority of cbc media would fold if they were ever privatized.

gabbo

Man I hope you are joking, Canadian programming is terribad. The majority of cbc media would fold if they were ever privatized.

I realized I don't watch much cbc tv outside of the news and news related programming. Still, it's not like their scripted shows are much worse than any of the other networks. They may suck, but at least from a production value standpoint they're usually pretty good.

bremon

I listen to Radio One every day for a significant part of my work day. They have a number of quality shows; Edmonton AM, The Current, Alberta@noon, Spark, Out in the Open, the Debaters, Because News, the 180, As It Happens, the House, etc. etc. Even Q can be decent here and there. CBC television...I don't watch that outside of hockey.

I'd say CBC still does radio well.

SRG01

I listen to Radio One every day for a significant part of my work day. They have a number of quality shows; Edmonton AM, The Current, Alberta@noon, Spark, Out in the Open, the Debaters, Because News, the 180, As It Happens, the House, etc. etc. Even Q can be decent here and there. CBC television...I don't watch that outside of hockey.

I'd say CBC still does radio well.

q is waaaay better now that Tom Power is the host.

Also, the Debaters have caused me to pull over several times because I was afraid I would crash into something while laughing so hard. :D

lacinius

If in your opinion that Canadian programming is "terribad" then that is for you and you alone to decide. Personally I would say the CBC does some exceptional work especially in the area of film and documentary productions, and their work in radio is not to be dismissed either. If you are not familiar with the Canadian film industry then I would urge you to give it a chance, because while it may be overshadowed by the behemoth of an industry to the south, the level of quality is in no way diminished by it. In that regard it becomes easy to appreciate just how much the CBC contributes to one particular facet of the Canadian media industry.

bremon

q is waaaay better now that Tom Power is the host.

Also, the Debaters have caused me to pull over several times because I was afraid I would crash into something while laughing so hard. :D
Tom Power really is good, but the nature of the show means it lives and dies by its guests and many of them discuss projects that don't particularly interest me. As far as the Debaters go, I love all the bad puns, and many of the comedians are hilarious; Derek Seguin in particular gets me rolling.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
oh god, please no.

I'm expecting it -- the Green/NDP split is a pretty real issue.

Also, according to one the EOs a few days ago when I voted in advance, I was apparently the only 20-something that came in that day.

I'm expecting it -- the Green/NDP split is a pretty real issue.

Also, according to one the EOs a few days ago when I voted in advance, I was apparently the only 20-something that came in that day.

20% advance turnout last week, a 62% increase over 2013. No idea what -- if anything -- that means, beyond the fact that people like voting ahead of time, when it's more convenient for them.

I don't know when we last had an election that looked this close going into election day:

I think the Liberals pull it out, since the softwood lumber fight seems to have given them a boost, but I wouldn't be willing to put any money on that.

mo60

A 1-2 seat majority will be pretty bad for the BC liberals if that is the final result.That doesn't leave room for error for votes in the legislature.

Vibranium

Banned
Did my part today with the NDP vote. If fate says the Liberals have to win I hope it is a minority.

I wish the Greens and NDP would work together...not today if ever I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom