• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah but he had, wait for it...numbered companies!

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...o-pour-trudeau

Front page of Journal de Montréal.
LOL, the horror! He used Quebec and Canada-incorporated businesses to responsibly manage some money... that asshole.

Oops, I better shut down my own numbered company that I use to manage my website's revenue, since apparently that makes me some sort of crook... (eye roll)

maharg

idspispopd
I was going to say that that story seemed like there could be some wiggle room in there, but then I saw this on CBC: Megan Leslie rules out NDP leadership bid: 'I don't want it'

That's about as definitive as you can get!

Cullen said he's leaning towards no, Topp ruled himself out, Notley's spokesperson said she wouldn't be going for it, and now Leslie is out. With no obvious frontrunner, this could be a really interesting race to watch.

I could see Notley eventually running, but I can't believe anyone thought she would right now. Without her the ABNDP would steer itself into a tree right now, which wouldn't be good for any level of the NDP.

the way I see it right now is that the NDP are strong locally at a Provincial level with direct regional interests of that province but Federally is a big fat mess because the interests of urbanites don't mesh with the interests of the ruralites, east vs west, English vs French doesn't mesh in the NDP Federally.

I can't see the conspiracy theorist tea sipping urbanites who want to stop oil banding with the blue collar union workers who depend on the energy sector

SRG01

the way I see it right now is that the NDP are strong locally at a Provincial level with direct regional interests of that province but Federally is a big fat mess because the interests of urbanites don't mesh with the interests of the ruralites, east vs west, English vs French doesn't mesh in the NDP Federally.

I can't see the conspiracy theorist tea sipping urbanites who want to stop oil banding with the blue collar union workers who depend on the energy sector

NDP strong on a provincial level? Since when? o_o

NDP strong on a provincial level? Since when? o_o

Since gutter demanded it!

In all seriousness, at least for me here in BC, since the last election the NDP has been an absolute joke. Adrian Dix killed any sort of momentum they could have gained by not going dirty against Christy Clark and now they are a lame duck opposition.

I could see Notley eventually running, but I can't believe anyone thought she would right now. Without her the ABNDP would steer itself into a tree right now, which wouldn't be good for any level of the NDP.

I think it's a function of the fact that the NDP in the rest of the country is in such dire straits. None of the other provincial NDPs are in any position to act as a farm team. They need to find a new leader in Saskatchewan after getting blown out for the third consecutive election last week. They're about to get blown out in Manitoba, so I'd imagine they'll be looking for a new leader there very soon. Every indication seems to be that next year's BC election is going to go poorly for them. They don't have any seats in New Brunswick. They don't have any seats in PEI.They're practically non-existent in the Nova Scotia and Newfoundland-Labrador legislatures. Who knows what's going on with them in Quebec. I've heard some people say Jagmeet Singh is a possibility out of Ontario, but he'd be a pretty big longshot at this point.

Basically, Alberta is the only place where there are any prominent NDPers left. I was a little surprised anyone had even brought Notley up, but I don't think anyone from her cabinet has made much of an impression on a national level.

Maybe they'll look to municipal politics in hopes of finding another Layton? I'd have said Gregor Robertson from Vancouver would be an interesting possibility, but apparently Robertson isn't interested.

maharg

idspispopd
I think it's a function of the fact that the NDP in the rest of the country is in such dire straits. None of the other provincial NDPs are in any position to act as a farm team. They need to find a new leader in Saskatchewan after getting blown out for the third consecutive election last week. They're about to get blown out in Manitoba, so I'd imagine they'll be looking for a new leader there very soon. Every indication seems to be that next year's BC election is going to go poorly for them. They don't have any seats in New Brunswick. They don't have any seats in PEI.They're practically non-existent in the Nova Scotia and Newfoundland-Labrador legislatures. Who knows what's going on with them in Quebec. I've heard some people say Jagmeet Singh is a possibility out of Ontario, but he'd be a pretty big longshot at this point.

Basically, Alberta is the only place where there are any prominent NDPers left. I was a little surprised anyone had even brought Notley up, but I don't think anyone from her cabinet has made much of an impression on a national level.

Maybe they'll look to municipal politics in hopes of finding another Layton? I'd have said Gregor Robertson from Vancouver would be an interesting possibility, but apparently Robertson isn't interested.

I think it's pretty likely that the NDP winds up with more or less a placeholder leader for the next election. Not officially, but I don't think the top tier (of whom them being run out of every government in the country should actually produce a few good candidates) is going to bring its A-game to this time around. Trudeau will get a second mandate and no one whose career is already established wants to lose to him when he's most likely to win. So it'll be someone with something to prove and not a lot of experience, and they'll be expected to lose, but in challenging they will raise their stature rather than lower it.

Also the more moderate NDP possibilities will be looking at what happened to Mulcair and how Layton's vision of a moderate, electable NDP is going down in smoke, and just go "nah, not this time."

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Leitao's a clown (as is the rest of this government...). As usual, Couillard pulled on his leash the day after this declaration and said they'll "work with the federal government and don't know the details yet". So they have absolutely no idea what's going on with that. I wonder if Trudeau's government does.
I liked your Garth avatar better.

I agree that the Couillard government are clueless.

I miss Charest's jokes

Good news for Stump (and every other Canadian living outside the country!): Expats Will Get Chance To Win Back Voting Rights In Supreme Court Hearing

I wonder if the government will even fight the case? Are they obligated to, or can they just drop it since it's no longer their policy?

I'd rather the supreme court actually rule on it so that there is precedent and we won't have a future government try this again, but I can totally see the government just dropping the case.

gabbo

I'd rather the supreme court actually rule on it so that there is precedent and we won't have a future government try this again, but I can totally see the government just dropping the case.

Maybe the government will also think along those lines 'fight it' in so far as they want a ruling.

maharg

idspispopd
The government can ask reference questions in Canada (unlike the U.S.), So there'd be no need to waste a bunch of time and money throwing a case to gain a ruling.

I think it's pretty likely that the NDP winds up with more or less a placeholder leader for the next election. Not officially, but I don't think the top tier (of whom them being run out of every government in the country should actually produce a few good candidates) is going to bring its A-game to this time around. Trudeau will get a second mandate and no one whose career is already established wants to lose to him when he's most likely to win. So it'll be someone with something to prove and not a lot of experience, and they'll be expected to lose, but in challenging they will raise their stature rather than lower it.

Also the more moderate NDP possibilities will be looking at what happened to Mulcair and how Layton's vision of a moderate, electable NDP is going down in smoke, and just go "nah, not this time."

Yep. Layton was a once in a lifetime leader for the NDP. His death reset the party back to where it usually is.

Any word if Dewar would consider running? Though he has the same issue Leslie had: no seat

Ondore

Found this in Poligaf-US, apparently this is one of our new parties.

hxglLDU.jpg

Good news for Stump (and every other Canadian living outside the country!): Expats Will Get Chance To Win Back Voting Rights In Supreme Court Hearing

I wonder if the government will even fight the case? Are they obligated to, or can they just drop it since it's no longer their policy?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...vernments-unconstitutional-tough-on-crime-law

following on your post. The Supreme Court Strikes down Harper Laws such as the minimum prison sentences for drug offenses.

n a 6-3 vote, the high court says a mandatory, one-year minimum sentence for a drug crime when the offender has a similar charge on the record constitutes cruel and unusual punishment, a violation of section 12 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

explodet

hxglLDU.jpg
Ah, the unregistered political organization New Constitution Party of Canada, publisher of the Your Ward News newsletter that one year ago started publishing material that may violate Hate Speech laws. And apparently uses Comic Sans.

Joining the proud political tradition of the Rhinoceros party or no?

The Rhino party was a legitimate party, registered with Elections Canada. They were also satirical. These guys definitely aren't registered with Elections Canada, and I think they're all too serious.

Yep. Layton was a once in a lifetime leader for the NDP. His death reset the party back to where it usually is.

Any word if Dewar would consider running? Though he has the same issue Leslie had: no seat

Dewar doesn't speak French, and he bombed in his last run. He's great on paper, and I heard nothing but fine things about him as an MP, but I doubt he'll run again.

I think maharg is probably right: nearly everyone from the NDP's mainstream wing is going to look at how the Party responded to winning 44 seats, look at polls like this:

And especially like this in Quebec:

And figure that there's no way they'd be able to improve on the 44-seat total in 2019, so they'll stay away. Whoever gets it this time is probably going to be a sacrificial lamb.

Also, whoever it is won't be helped if he sticks to his 24-month timeline for leaving, especially if they pick someone from outside the caucus. If they pick someone in, say, April 2018, first the person would have to find a safe seat to run for, and that may be pretty difficult (when Layton won in 2003, he ended up waiting until the next general election to run). Then, assuming they can get in over the summer, that leaves them, like, 8-10 months to get into the House and get ready for an election. It's not impossible that a new leader could pull off something respectable, but it doesn't seem very likely right now.

Alavard

Went looking for Poligaf and found Popgaf sitting next to it by mistake.

That was a shock to the system for a hot minute.

I use 'ctrl-f poli' and click quickly, so sometimes I enter the UK poligaf instead. That can be very confusing for a minute.

orochi91

0 you just need to click subscribe once every time we start a new thread and then click subscriptions when you want to find the thread!!

Do you mean that ribbon on the top of the thread that says "Subscribe"?

I've done that several times over the past couple years, but where do I go to find the list of threads I've subscribed to???

D:

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do you mean that ribbon on the top of the thread that says "Subscribe"?

I've done that several times over the past couple years, but where do I go to find the list of threads I've subscribed to???

D:

on desktop it's the very top of the page:
Control Panel, Subscriptions, Search, Neogaf, Theme then your PMs on the right side

on mobile it's on the main page with the list of subforums.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
0 you just need to click subscribe once every time we start a new thread and then click subscriptions when you want to find the thread!!
When GAF was giving the error for https I couldn't click on the subscription link at the top of the page. It was very annoying.

I set the option to subscribe to every thread I post in (with no notifications) because it's just easier. My GAF bookmark is my subscription page on both desktop and mobile.

Vibranium

Banned
Since gutter demanded it!

In all seriousness, at least for me here in BC, since the last election the NDP has been an absolute joke. Adrian Dix killed any sort of momentum they could have gained by not going dirty against Christy Clark and now they are a lame duck opposition.

John Horgan is a smart guy though, if you watch Voice of BC on Shaw he is a great speaker, he certainly knows how to handle himself when it comes to having to get dirty, unlike Dix.

mo60

BC's provincially is the second strongest province for the NDP right now. Unless something horrible happens to the BC NDP between now and election day they are pretty much going to do as well as the last few provincial elections(Around 30-40 seats).Also Clark's kinda poor approval rating right now may actually influence the results of the next BC provincially election a bit. I'm not sure who the NDP chooses now for the leader position in the next election, but it may or may not be a sacrificial lamb. I found this interesting piece by Eric Greneir on the NDP's future.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-mulcair-leader-history-1.3532115

Tiktaalik

With the dynamics of BC as they are it's hard to say whether Robertson would be a Federal Liberal or NDP. He was a BC NDP but we saw Dosanjh move over to the Liberals at the federal level. I've heard plenty of rumours that the Federal Liberals have courted him as well. His municipal political party Vision seems to tilt a bit BCNDP.

I honestly have no idea what his next move will be after Vancouver, but I think he's done a great job here and I'd support him wherever he goes.

BC's provincially is the second strongest province for the NDP right now. Unless something horrible happens to the BC NDP between now and election day they are pretty much going to do as well as the last few provincial elections(Around 30-40 seats).Also Clark's kinda poor approval rating right now may actually influence the results of the next BC provincially election a bit. I'm not sure who the NDP chooses now for the leader position in the next election, but it may or may not be a sacrificial lamb. I found this interesting piece by Eric Greneir on the NDP's future.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-mulcair-leader-history-1.3532115

Of course something horrible will happen. It's the BC NDP. The party is run by idiots. Everyone hates Christy Clark and it's their election to win but they'll find a way to lose somehow.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

hxglLDU.jpg
Hahahahah

Also their leader is a PUA
James Nicholas Sears (born Dimitrious Sarafopoulos[1] ca. 1961)[2] is a Canadian perennial candidate and professional pickup artist who also goes by the name Dimitri the Lover.

During his subsequent internship he was judged "immature" and entered psychotherapy in 1990. Following complaints from female patients, Sears' medical licence was revoked by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario in 1992 after pleading guilty to two counts of sexual assault.[2]

Bahahahaha you cannot make this shit up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom