• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Hmm, usually I'd say no, if only because those IMAX slots are always in demand for new releases. But depending on the location (like, a museum or aquarium, and not a typical chain theater) you may have one still playing it after two weeks or so.
Praying it lasts. Hopefully it picks up steam.
In California? Nice, that used to be my goto! Back when there were no reserved seats. Had to wait hours for Spiderman 3. The good old days...

Hm I don't see any movies on the IMAX slate, so maybe?
Yeah I'm kinda hoping Ontario is open when I get back. That's the best one near me.

Trixxstrr

Got an Imax 70 about 15 mins away from me but tickets not up yet. Lame.

Edit: Also for me it's showing 2 different 70mm versions. One is called "special engagement". Anyone know what that's about? Maybe just a duplicate?

IMAX 70mm is the best quality you can get. So if you have the choice, choose that.

gibration

In California? Nice, that used to be my goto! Back when there were no reserved seats. Had to wait hours for Spiderman 3. The good old days...

Hm I don't see any movies on the IMAX slate, so maybe?

Haha yup! I waited 10 hours to get good seats for The Force Awakens. I think shortly after they decided on reserved seating. I do kinda miss that as well.

Ashhong

Praying it lasts. Hopefully it picks up steam.

Yeah I'm kinda hoping Ontario is open when I get back. That's the best one near me.

Unless you're out in the IE, there's always Irvine and LA. I'm pretty sure it will still be around. According to the IMAX website there's nothing slated to take over until Inhumans and then Kingsmen in September

^ I still hate pretty much all commercials and trailers for this. I don't think it does a good job at selling the tension at all. Probably why there are so many doubters and people thinking it is going to be a run of the mill war movie.

Trixxstrr

Yeah, it was always a hard sell. From everything I've heard though it's certainly not a typical war movie but this movie will sink or swim based on WOM, let's hope it's good.

Jigolo

XTqTHs3.jpg
This image is amazing

I'm getting real fucking excited for this

Is this avatar kind of thing where movie was shit and people kept hyping it for seeing it in imax? That was waste of money. I hope this is not.

Here's an IMAX theater listing. Apparently you want to look for the ones in your state that have 1570 as the listed format for the true 70mm IMAX experience.

http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaUSA.htm

Ugh. What the fuck? That leaked theater listing from last week had like 5 theaters in Florida, and this has just one Laser showing at the MOSI Dome IMAX, which is a terrible way to see films like this, imo. I hate the dome. No 70MM in the state at all. Ugh. :(

Jigolo

Ugh. What the fuck? That leaked theater listing from last week had like 5 theaters in Florida, and this has just one Laser showing at the MOSI Dome IMAX, which is a terrible way to see films like this, imo. I hate the dome. No 70MM in the state at all. Ugh. :(

I've seen movies in Laser there (Museum of Discovery and Science) and it's pretty great tbh. Second or third best viewing experience but it really depends on the movie. Sure I wish they'd brought out the 15/70 projector (especially for Nolan films) but Laser isn't too bad since it has the 1.43:1 aspect ratio, better contrast and brightness than film.

I did manage to see Star Wars TFA in 70mm IMAX but only a few minutes were actually shot in the format whereas Dunkirk, 75% of the movie will be in 15/70.

1. 15/70mm IMAX
2/3. IMAX Laser / Dolby Cinema

My recent go to has been the Dolby Cinema theater in Aventura and it's been great for standard movies like GoTG2, Rogue One. I plan to watch Spiderman here as well.

After Interstellar I can see why some would. Though I always had faith in this one!
Interstellar is better than Memento for me. Memento is genius in terms of narrative structure and the ending is spectacular, but the entire first half of the movie is pretty damn boring. Of course the pay off is amazing, but Int is engaging throughout the entire movie and some of the space segments are some of the best directed ever for a sci-fi space film.

I always find it hilarious that every Nolan-ranked movie discussions ends up with absolutely no one agreeing with anybody. GOATlan's variety on point.

Redemption? I'm over here eatin every 24 months while y'all over there starving for a decade

Stay in yo lane !!

tenor.gif
Some of these peasants need to be branded #stayinyourlane when the hate barges in. Bring in the facts LaVar. Speak that gospel.

I've seen movies in Laser there (Museum of Discovery and Science) and it's pretty great tbh. Second or third best viewing experience but it really depends on the movie. Sure I wish they'd brought out the 15/70 projector (especially for Nolan films) but Laser isn't too bad since it has the 1.43:1 aspect ratio, better contrast and brightness than film.

I did manage to see Star Wars TFA in 70mm IMAX but only a few minutes were actually shot in the format whereas Dunkirk, 75% of the movie will be in 15/70.

1. 15/70mm IMAX

My recent go to has been the Dolby Cinema theater in Aventura and it's been great for standard movies like GoTG2, Rogue One. I plan to watch Spiderman here as well.

Doh! I misread. I thought this was the Tampa Museum of Science and Industry theater. Which is a dome-style theater. This sounds pretty good. The fiancé and I are down by Fort Lauderdale and Aventura all the time to visit her folks. Maybe we'll take a trip for this, not sure.

_Nemo

So this'll be my first time seeing a movie in IMAX, I wanted to know what are the best seats? Back row, middle, upper middle? Or doesn't matter?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I think this is just a list of literally every IMAX theater in the country. Not all of these theaters will be playing the movie.

Oops, yeah I should have specified. Yeah its a listing of every one but use the format indicator to clue you in as to what may be playing the film. What sucks is I have both the Boston Science Museum and Aquarium near me with 1570 capabilities but arent playing Dunkirk.

So this'll be my first time seeing a movie in IMAX, I wanted to know what are the best seats? Back row, middle, upper middle? Or doesn't matter?

If its first come first serve seating, get there early. You dont want to be stuck in the lower level with how they arrange the seating at some of these imaxs.

1. 15/70mm IMAX

This is good to know. I may just do IMAX laser. The crop from 4:3 is bothering to think about though. I want to see it as Nolan intended. I just hope my local Laser equipped IMAX is 1.43:1

FTF

I def prefer towards the back few rows, since the screen is so huge, and as middle as possible.

I can't believe people actually doubted Nolan or had reservations on this film. Can't wait.

I have no doubt that it's going to be really good to great. My doubt and reservation on this film is about how well it's going to do box office wise. I think they picked a lousy time to launch this type of film in a very crowded summer blockbuster month.

Ashhong

No.

Decent movie though, but not up to his best like Memento and such.

I haven't seen Memento but that doesn't change my opinion on Interstellar.

Masterpiece.

Got 70mm IMAX seats right in the middle of the theater and screen. Bless up :')

Just putting my 2 cents in, the middle aisle in a 70mm IMAX is too close for me. You have to raise your head and shit. I always pick the back row in an IMAX theater because the middle of the screen is usually around eye level. Takes up my entire FOV without moving my head

I have no doubt that it's going to be really good to great. My doubt and reservation on this film is about how well it's going to do box office wise. I think they picked a lousy time to launch this type of film in a very crowded summer blockbuster month.

Is it crowded? What's out after Dunkirk? Spidey will be 2 weeks old, and there's only Apes a week before.

_Nemo

I love back row in any theater but especially IMAX

If its first come first serve seating, get there early. You dont want to be stuck in the lower level with how they arrange the seating at some of these imaxs.

I def prefer towards the back few rows, since the screen is so huge, and as middle as possible.

Woww the IMAX theatre is a lot smaller than I thought. I'll definitely have to get there early. And being this small and the screen being huge I guess the back 2 rows would be best for sure.

This is the map for my theatre.

WYEBh9p.png

Timu

Interstellar is better than Memento for me. Memento is genius in terms of narrative structure and the ending is spectacular, but the entire first half of the movie is pretty damn boring. Of course the pay off is amazing, but Int is engaging throughout the entire movie and some of the space segments are some of the best directed ever for a sci-fi space film.

I always find it hilarious that every Nolan-ranked movie discussions ends up with absolutely no one agreeing with anybody. GOATlan's variety on point.

Some of these peasants need to be branded #stayinyourlane when the hate barges in. Bring in the facts LaVar. Speak that gospel.
The middle of Interstellar is the worst part of that movie.

Jigolo

Doh! I misread. I thought this was the Tampa Museum of Science and Industry theater. Which is a dome-style theater. This sounds pretty good. The fiancé and I are down by Fort Lauderdale and Aventura all the time to visit her folks. Maybe we'll take a trip for this, not sure.

http://www.mods.org/home.html

In case you're interested here is the site. Keep in mind that there are no reserve seats here. I arrive 1-2 hours early sometimes just to be safe and get a good seat. Last 3 rows are for best viewing experience otherwise you will need to strain your neck just to see and you won't be able to see the entire length of the screen. I wasn't able to get in line early enough for BvS and turned out sitting in mid right area and it was not pleasant.

You can get a premium pass thing but I don't know exactly where or what since I never bought one. But I plan on buying one for this movie.

This is good to know. I may just do IMAX laser. The crop from 4:3 is bothering to think about though. I want to see it as Nolan intended. I just hope my local Laser equipped IMAX is 1.43:1

Scroll down and look for your closest theater here

https://www.imax.com/news/experience-dunkirk-imax-70mm-film-and-imax-laser

It shows which are showing 15/70mm IMAX film and which theaters are showing Laser

Ashhong

Woww the IMAX theatre is a lot smaller than I thought. I'll definitely have to get there early. And being this small and the screen being huge I guess the back 2 rows would be best for sure.

This is the map for my theatre.

WYEBh9p.png

No reserved seats? RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom