• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised the Loews at metreon in Sf wasn't on the list for the 70mm showings. I think it said Dublin was the closest.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I definitely prefer the IMAX frame. But I'm a sucker for negative space. I also shoot large format photography, so I can appreciate the giant frame IMAX provides.

Naw bruh, everythings gotta be tight! I also prefer the IMAX frame, its expansive and it makes sense in a shot over the ocean. Considering the shot in motion should also be important, I doubt those planes are stationary.

With that said, people can watch the ghetto inferior pan and scan version in a theater near them if they really want tight widescreen.

shoelacer

Banned
In terms of framing, all that visual information is useless. The goal of the shot should be helping the viewer to see what to look at. When everything is open, our eyes can easily get lost. The experience isn't a positive one.

Also, I dunno if it's still the case but when I went to see one of the Nolan Batman flicks in Imax it kept switching between the normal aspect ratio and the Imax shots and it would take me out of it whenever it would switch. Really turned me off from the format.

Ashhong

Also, I dunno if it's still the case but when I went to see one of the Nolan Batman flicks in Imax it kept switching between the normal aspect ratio and the Imax shots and it would take me out of it whenever it would switch. Really turned me off from the format.

Yes it still happens because they aren't going to film the entire movie in IMAX cameras. Happens in all IMAX movies, not just Nolans Batman.

Dominator

Whatever you do, do not watch the newest Transformers in IMAX. The aspect ratio switches even when two characters are having a simple conversation with no action on screen.

Guzim

The true 70mm IMAX film cameras are large, heavy and really loud so it makes it really difficult to shoot dialogue scenes without having to do tons of ADR
Explains why Nolan had that random scene of Bruce waking up in Rises as an IMAX scene.

DMczaf

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/t...trailer-on-p132-no-spoilers-allowed/?page=213

If you're worried about exposition every 5 minutes, do not fear. It definitely has wayyyyyyyyyy less dialogue then Nolan's previous films, but because of the way the film is structured, it works well this way.

Absolutely an intense experience. This is the part where I add the joke about they gave me a seat at the screening but I think I only occupied like 10% of it for the whole film. Pretty much was me.

_Nemo

I am so fucking hype. I watched both Inception and Interstellar today because why the fuck not. And then listening to their soundtracks on top.

Hydrus

Man, I know this is gonna sound a little silly, but it would be insane if Nolan did a crazy, over the top movie like a Neon Genesis type film, with strange creatures, in a strange, trippy world. With a score by Zimmer. Wow! Would definitely be cool to see him do something really out there for his next film.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Please Nolan nail it. We may never see another big budget war movie depicting the English side ever again

Ashhong

Are you guys worried about tickets selling out or something? I don't see it happening. Check back in about 20 hours and it'll probably be up with 99% available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom