• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Now I've gotten second thoughts about watching it with the old man if it's gonna make him all stressed out. Might as well wait for the home release with a lower volume.

After every other movie he's done, it's still so weird to me that he's doing just a war movie that in the back of my mind I still want some alt history to happen, but I know it won't.

Absolutely cannot wait to see this at IMAX in Austin, should be breathtaking.

Gonna get to see this slightly earlier than most as part of a local film festival. I hope it's good cause Nolan's last two films didn't cut the mustard for me.

Ashhong

God dammit I can't handle this hype. It's fucking Nolan of course he is going to bring something new to the table. Movie of the summer coming through

Guzim

Gonna get to see this slightly earlier than most as part of a local film festival. I hope it's good cause Nolan's last two films didn't cut the mustard for me.
That's awesome. When are you seeing this?
From one of the mods with credibility at BoxOfficeTheory who has seen Dunkirk

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/t...no-spoilers-allowed/?page=206#comment-3081715
20 more days.
This was all obvious after they released the prologue and Nolan started talking about the kind of movie he wanted to make

People who think this is gonna be a standard war movie are deluding themselves
Seriously. The 5 minute prologue before Rogue One was better than Rogue One.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
After every other movie he's done, it's still so weird to me that he's doing just a war movie that in the back of my mind I still want some alt history to happen, but I know it won't.

Absolutely cannot wait to see this at IMAX in Austin, should be breathtaking.
This is actually going to be a sequel to Inception, a la Split.

It ends with Tom Hardy waking up on a train with Leo DiCaprio saying to Ellen Page, "Not good enough. Let's do it again."

I can't wait to watch those dogfights mmmmmmmm.

I already know after I watch this movie I'm going to immediately go home and play Warthunder.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I misread. It's simply a new presentation/style.
Nothing interesting in terms of what he is adding to the story, and I don't have enough confidence in this man's ability to capture WW2 from a combat perspective like the greats did (Spielberg for example).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If the film ends with Leo tipping into a bath backwards, I'm gonna flip a table.

lmfao - never even thought about this

would be amazing just for the comments on GAF

I misread. It's simply a new presentation/style.
Nothing interesting in terms of what he is adding to the story, and I don't have enough confidence in this man's ability to capture WW2 from a combat perspective like the greats did (Spielberg for example).

Actually I know Empirecity (I have an account on BOT), and he was praising the storytelling along with the filmmaking. Hype!

Ashhong

Hope this is playing in Atmos. Personally rather see it in that vs IMAX

Really? But this isn't your standard IMAX movie. This is the 70mm, fill up the entire wall type if movie. I can understand your thinking for a regular movie but you can't beat 70mm IMAX, no matter how comfortable the recliner chairs are

This is actually going to be a sequel to Inception, a la Split.

It ends with Tom Hardy waking up on a train with Leo DiCaprio saying to Ellen Page, "Not good enough. Let's do it again."

I'm not going to lie, I would flip the fuck out if it somehow tied into Inception. That would be amazing

JB1981

Really? But this isn't your standard IMAX movie. This is the 70mm, fill up the entire wall type if movie. I can understand your thinking for a regular movie but you can't beat 70mm IMAX, no matter how comfortable the recliner chairs are

I'm not going to lie, I would flip the fuck out if it somehow tied into Inception. That would be amazing

Feel like every IMAX experience I have had has kinda sucked. Way too loud. Screen too close. Not even sure the IMAX at the Tropicana in Atlantic City NJ is still open. There aren't a lot of good options for IMAX in NJ. Mostly digital Liemax which is where I saw Interstellar and I thought my ears were gonna bleed it was so goddamn loud.

Wait - I guess I could go to the Liberty Science Center if it plays there

Feel like every IMAX experience I have had has kinda sucked. Way too loud. Screen too close. Not even sure the IMAX at the Tropicana in Atlantic City NJ is still open. There aren't a lot of good options for IMAX in NJ. Mostly digital Liemax which is where I saw Interstellar and I thought my ears were gonna bleed it was so goddamn loud.
That's funny because sometimes I feel like regular screenings aren't loud enough. The Baby Driver showing I went to could've used more intensity.

teepo

Damn, what the hell? I saw both Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar at the Boise IMAX and it included the 70mm version, but not for Dunkirk?

Is there even a reason to see it at the IMAX now, will it still feature the expanded footage from the IMAX ratio or not?

i believe it's because a lot the official imax theaters upgraded to laser projection

Is this not just referring to the fact that the film is a triptych?

He's not referring to some twist.

Certainly referring to presentation and narrative style and perhaps some set pieces not really shown in marketing, which sounds good to me. Any narrative twist to this historical event would be tacky as hell

The positive reception is fairly surprising. I hate to say it, but this DID look like a run of the mill war movie, and a pg 13 one at that. Looking forward to what interesting storytelling and presentation methods are used here.

airjoca

The positive reception is fairly surprising. I hate to say it, but this DID look like a run of the mill war movie, and a pg 13 one at that. Looking forward to what interesting storytelling and presentation methods are used here.

Me and my "best movie mate" have been having this conversation for a while now.

"I just don't know man, it looks kind of average"

"But it's Nolan..."

Anyone who has seen the prologue already knows what to expect.

It legitimately was amazing and I think a perfect run time for the style.

DMczaf

He's been giving hints of the structure in interviews.

“On land, some stayed one week stuck on the beach. On the water, the events lasted a maximum day; And if you were flying to Dunkirk, the British spitfires would carry an hour of fuel. To mingle these different versions of history, one had to mix the temporal strata. Hence the complicated structure; Even if the story, once again, is very simple.”

Me and my "best movie mate" have been having this conversation for a while now.

"I just don't know man, it looks kind of average"
Yeah.. not feeling the trailers like I normally do for Nolan.

"But it's Nolan..."
giphy.gif

You right.

He's not referring to some twist.

Certainly referring to presentation and narrative style and perhaps some set pieces not really shown in marketing, which sounds good to me. Any narrative twist to this historical event would be tacky as hell

It's obvious that Nolan intercuts between the three stories he's telling in a way that elevates the building suspense. That's pretty much what he's done for the climax of all his films since Inception. Hearing that he pulled it off through an entire film is really going to be something to behold.

It also explains the shorter runtime as it would be pretty hard to sustain that kind of editing momentum for over two hours. This just reaffirms my theory that Dunkirk be the Gravity of this summer, a real thrill-ride that will do gangbusters once word gets out at how ground-breaking it is.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Nolan does love his temporal fuckery. Doesn't The Prestige have a flashback in a flashback framed by someone telling a story? Been awhile since I've seen that one.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This looks like my cup of tea, but the trailer seems to be a dud in theaters, in that you see people ignore it, then say "oh batman guy" when his name pops up. I can't begin to predict how this will do financially.

Nolan does love his temporal fuckery. Doesn't The Prestige have a flashback in a flashback framed by someone telling a story? Been awhile since I've seen that one.

(Edit: Just started blabbing about Momento without actually saying I was talking about Momento lol)

And then you've got Momento, where there's two threads throughout - the black and white thread that progresses linearly and consists of the main character telling a story on the phone, and a color thread that progresses in reverse chronological order, with the two cutting back-and-forth and converging at the very end.

Crazy shit.

Ashhong

Wait - I guess I could go to the Liberty Science Center if it plays there

Interstellar might be a one off case because it was extra loud on purpose. Weren't theaters putting up signs warning that it'll be loud and that it was intentional?

I despise Liemax though, definitely go to a Dolby if that's your only option. But if you have a 70mm...There's just no contest. It's supposed to be close! I sit in the same spot at mine and it's perfect. The screen takes up my entire FOV almost, without it being too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom