• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaviourMK2

Where's da allies.
Where are dey.
You'd never give dem to an ordinary nazi
where are dey
wheres da allies.

Tell me where da allies are...
Den
You have mah permission to dye.

(I may not know what exactly the Dunkirk evacuation was)

DD0G7eUWAAAJXQj

Look at all dat empty space. The IMAX difference.

How is it empty? I see more sky and more ocean, That's more visual information that you're getting. You may not think it's important but it's definitely not empty. I think it adds an epic scope to the proceedings that really sucks you in.

Aurongel

Look at all dat empty space. The IMAX difference.

"I don't know how the size of a frame affects perspective and immersion and I'm going to let everyone know god dammit".

That's akin to people looking at a wide anamorphic film frame and saying "why don't they just uncrop it or stand further back?"

quesalupa

Yeah I'm not watching this until I can reserve a proper seat right in the middle of a 70mm imax screen. This shit's gonna be hype.

How is it empty? I see more sky and more ocean, That's more visual information that you're getting. You may not think it's important but it's definitely not empty. I think it adds an epic scope to the proceedings that really sucks you in.

In terms of framing, all that visual information is useless. The goal of the shot should be helping the viewer to see what to look at. When everything is open, our eyes can easily get lost. The experience isn't a positive one.

Ashhong

In terms of framing, all that visual information is useless. The goal of the shot should be helping the viewer to see what to look at. When everything is open, our eyes can easily get lost. The experience isn't a positive one.

I mean, that's one single frame from the movie. I don't know about you, but being immersed in the film with a big IMAX screen is always better than a standard screen, no matter how "useless" the visual information is. That's like saying you prefer to walk around 24/7 with your eyes half closed.

Blader

AMC City Walk seems like the place to see this in LA. Any reason to consider a different theater in LA?

The Arclight is a cool theater (or was, anyway; last time I went was six years ago), so if they're playing it in 70mm there I'd recommend that too.

FTF

AMC City Walk seems like the place to see this in LA. Any reason to consider a different theater in LA?

Yeah looks like Citywalk is listed as an imax theater so I'd def recommend that.

I've heard good things about arclight too but doesn't show am imax listing.

Ashhong

If you are literally in LA that is your best option. Don't forget to get your parking fee refunded at the theater. I recommend sitting a couple rows forward from the back.

If you are a little more south from LA, my favorite IMAX is at the Irvine Spectrum

jett

D-Member
I cry every time Coop Cooperton III shouts MURPH

Thank you.

What I said was done in jest anyway.

Blader

Look at the boat and planes.

mcfrank

If you are literally in LA that is your best option. Don't forget to get your parking fee refunded at the theater. I recommend sitting a couple rows forward from the back.

If you are a little more south from LA, my favorite IMAX is at the Irvine Spectrum

I am in Hawthorne, so they are about equal distance.

duckroll

The funny thing about that OMG IMAX comparison image is that in terms of framing for that single shot, I think the Digital IMAX frame looks the best. Maybe that's their plan all along?!

I definitely prefer the IMAX frame. But I'm a sucker for negative space. I also shoot large format photography, so I can appreciate the giant frame IMAX provides.

Chumley

Banned
Nolan likes people getting immersed into the frame with the gigantic IMAX screens. I wonder what he thinks about VR, since eventually that should be able to yield the same kind of result as tech improves.

duckroll

Nolan likes people getting immersed into the frame with the gigantic IMAX screens. I wonder what he thinks about VR, since eventually that should be able to yield the same kind of result as tech improves.

Current VR tech is probably too low resolution to really interest him in terms of user experience.

Loxley

I mean, that's one single frame from the movie. I don't know about you, but being immersed in the film with a big IMAX screen is always better than a standard screen, no matter how "useless" the visual information is. That's like saying you prefer to walk around 24/7 with your eyes half closed.

I want to perpetually feel like I'm watching Lawrence of Arabia.

DMczaf

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/t...trailer-on-p132-no-spoilers-allowed/?page=211

Just saw it (had some critics in the screening with me as well). Wow. That was a intense experience and a half. I'm still kind of processing it.

The marketing certainly lowered my expectations, but the movie completely took them and smashed it.

They weren't kidding about the score. That was quite possibly one of the best Hans Zimmer's scores I've ever listened to, at least in the top 5 of his scores.

we bout to eat, fam

DMczaf

More from him

I'm not really sure what the GA is going to think of this. Its certainly not your average war movie, and Nolan definitely did things differently. There's some stuff in there that seriously did not expect.

I still think 45m OW for Dunkirk. Maybe 50 if the marketing really ramps up.

Yes Scooter, Aliens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom