• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guzim

Has there been an official list of theaters with 70mm showings released yet?

I haven't seen an official list. On the site for the theater I am going to get tickets for, it says "The Maritime Aquarium’s is one of only about 30 IMAX theaters in the country that will offer “Dunkirk” in 70mm film projection."

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Tickets are on sale! Was able to buy off fandango (app) tix for Lincoln square imax. Let's go!

70mm is listed on Fandango - but my theater that was on that leaked list (but DID show Hateful Eight in 70mm) isn't listed.

Arg. Wish I could find an official link.

Jigolo

tngv3tc6gn7z.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

It's shit like this that I just love seeing in mainstream films. A true appreciation for giving the viewer the absolute best experience possible. Very, very cool.

It's also kinda funny that for as HUGE as the movie business is, and the millions of tickets sold each year, there's very, very little understanding of the tech behind the experience. Even some of my more educated, savvy friends have paused when I've said I want to see X film at Y theater because of a particular projection they have running. To the vast majority of the public, a movie theater is a movie theater - they pick their showing based on location or the seats, I presume.

Solo

I see DM is still clinging to the hope of redemption!

I'm happy to see Nolan release a sub-120 minute film again. The bloated runtime of his last few films has really bogged them down. To see a (relatively) lean run time pleases me.

DMczaf

I see DM is still clinging to the hope of redemption!

I'm happy to see Nolan release a sub-120 minute film again. The bloated runtime of his last few films has really bogged them down. To see a (relatively) lean run time pleases me.

Redemption? I'm over here eatin every 24 months while y'all over there starving for a decade

Stay in yo lane !!

tenor.gif

Meier

70mm tickets on sale here in Austin.. tempted, but we have a fantastic IMAX at the Texas State History Museum so I am going to hold off. Surprised the IMAX tix don't go on sale until Friday. Hate this wait!

Skel1ingt0n

Fandango says "tickets will go on sale on Wednesday the 7th." But I can't click them.

Is there a certain time they unlock?

Had no real desire to see this movie at all, and then we went to Rogue One in the IMAX and the visuals coupled with the insanely good audio had pretty much everyone hooked. So thankful we have 70mm IMAX in Regina, it has been amazing to see these movies.

Skel1ingt0n

All other locations that don't have 70mm will go on sale this Friday the 7th. This morning they unlocked at 9 AM EST.

Hmm.... this one has a 70mm showing.

I'll try to screen cap.

EDIT: I can't click on these times:

v9uLQ6q.png

If I hover over, it says they'll unlock "Wed the 5th."

Got my ticket for a 70mm showing here in Chicago. (I watched a five minute scene projected in the format last Sunday and it looks good. Definitely a Nolan film with his usual thriller/suspenseful score.)

Blader

so 70mm is best way to watch this movie??

IMAX 70mm is the ideal way, but that's pretty rare. I think either 70mm or digital IMAX would be your next best choices. Though looking at that rundown above, it looks like if you don't have a laser IMAX theater, the picture won't even fill up the whole screen?

Ashhong

Dang my theater has 70mm but not 70mm IMAX. It does have a IMAX one though which is full screen, decisions to decisions

Oh that's a tough one. If you have the full screen IMAX shouldn't it be 70mm? Or maybe they upgraded to digital/laser. Damn, duno what I would pick in your shoes hahaha

Blader

You guys think this will be in 70MM IMAX till Tuesday the 8th? I'm gonna be in Europe for 3 weeks.

Hmm, usually I'd say no, if only because those IMAX slots are always in demand for new releases. But depending on the location (like, a museum or aquarium, and not a typical chain theater) you may have one still playing it after two weeks or so.

_Nemo

Got an Imax 70 about 15 mins away from me but tickets not up yet. Lame.

Edit: Also for me it's showing 2 different 70mm versions. One is called "special engagement". Anyone know what that's about? Maybe just a duplicate?

Blader

Got an Imax 70 about 15 mins away from me but tickets not up yet. Lame.

Edit: Also for me it's showing 2 different 70mm versions. One is called "special engagement". Anyone know what that's about? Maybe just a duplicate?

The first one is 70mm. The second is digital/laser IMAX. The third is IMAX 70mm. Which is the one you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom