• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coachella 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Fuuuuuuuck, they have a free gig in my city in ten days.

Only thing you have to do is wait in front of a bus for probably 2 hours to get your ticket.

I'll try to score one.

Lucky bastard, the only chance I have of seeing them live is at Rock Werchter.
I would be sitting through three days of generic indie rock just for Major Lazer, James Blake and Boys Noize.

Linius

I would be sitting through three days of generic indie rock just for Major Lazer, James Blake and Boys Noize.

You can just buy a ticket for the friday only. Though you would miss out on James Blake then.

Milchjon

Rammstein! I wouldn't mind that line-up.

That free gig even includes Hudson Mohawke. But I'm not too hopeful about getting those tickets. It's some sponsored thing, and I'm sure they'll reject me because I don't fit the happy hipster profile the brand covets :-D

Daeda

If you can go to Werchter, you can go to Rock en Seine http://www.rockenseine.com/en/artists/line-up/ There's also a decent chance they'll play Pukkelpop. Dont say Paris is far from the netherlands, cause it's not.

Dont know what you're talking about anyway, Werchter has an amazing lineup this year

Linius

If you can go to Werchter, you can go to Rock en Seine http://www.rockenseine.com/en/artists/line-up/ There's also a decent chance they'll play Pukkelpop. Dont say Paris is far from the netherlands, cause it's not.

Dont know what you're talking about anyway, Werchter has an amazing lineup this year

I'm going to Rock en Seine, Werchter, Lowlands and Best Kept Secret this year. Especially Rock en Seine is very doable for Dutchies, great city and not too far away. Had the best of times last year. Hopefully the line-up will be as good as that this year.

Daeda

I'm going to Rock en Seine, Werchter, Lowlands and Best Kept Secret this year. Especially Rock en Seine is very doable for Dutchies, great city and not too far away. Had the best of times last year. Hopefully the line-up will be as good as that this year.

NIN is playing, I'm happy (will only go on Saturday if I get tickets) But yeah, amazing festival considering the price.

Linius

NIN is playing, I'm happy (will only go on Saturday if I get tickets) But yeah, amazing festival considering the price.

Yeah, early bird tickets were only 100 euros. Last year with Placebo and Greenday they had headliners who were also quite special because they didn't did a big European tour during the festival summer. Not that I'm really fond of Greenday though, but the organisation deserves credits for that.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Oh i'm sure that if I went, I would have one hell of a time at Werchter. Probably also a lot of bands there that I don't know that would blow my socks off.

But I just don't care about most of the big titles, the rock or indie acts. I'm there to go fucking crazy to hot electronic beats, and when i'm paying upwards of 200EUR on a ticket, i'd like it to be as awesome as possible.
I used to exclusively go to metal festivals like Graspop and Wacken Open Air, i'm just a little burnt out on the let's say "softer" rock music at festivals, even though I actually do appreciate listening to that stuff when i'm at home.

Rock en Seine looks awesome though, will see if I can get some people to drag along with me.

RS4-

How can I see the performances from day 1? Unless I'm missing something obvious on the Coachella YT channel lol, I only see stuff from yesterday.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not all electronic stuff is like knife party
thank fucking god

you're the guy that doesn't know much music yeah?

I'd recommend (must sees in bold):

Smith Westerns (indie rock)
DIIV (indie rock)
Jessie Ware (dance pop)
James Blake (post dubstep sing/songwriter, will probably like if you enjoyed the xx)
Tame Impala (retro psychedelic)
Simian Mobile Disco (tech house/electro)
Vampire Weekend (indie rock)
Nick Cave (legend of rock, one of the best live bands I've seen)
Wu-Tang (GOAT hip-hop, can be a bit average live though)
Dinosaur Jr (early 90's grungy rock)

Thanks! The only two bands I love and extensively follow are Crystal Castles and Depeche Mode, and I've gotten a bit more into Deftones and NIN. Will give these a go. Want to branch out.

Sai-kun

Banned
Thanks! The only two bands I love and extensively follow are Crystal Castles and Depeche Mode, and I've gotten a bit more into Deftones and NIN. Will give these a go. Want to branch out.

Check out How to destroy angels, as well :) If you like NIN in some way, you'll probably like their stuff too.

Volotaire

tumblr_ml8f1qGyrQ1qj4edao1_500.png

yo....

Phoenix was great, but goddamn at that Knife Party set. I was going to skip them because of that Ultra set, but now I'm not so sure

McNei1y

I really wish I could've gone... too bad it's all the way across the country. I need to see Wu Tang. R. Kelly and Phoenix was pretty awesome.

Gaf Meet Up
Coachella 2014

BELIEVE

TBH I am seriously thinking of getting tickets for next year.

I went for two years many years ago. I will never go again. It is boiling ass hot, next to no shade, wayyyyy too many people, and the sound from the various stages is rather annoying.

Linius

I went for two years many years ago. I will never go again. It is boiling ass hot, next to no shade, wayyyyy too many people, and the sound from the various stages is rather annoying.

You can hear the noise from other stages while watching something at a certain stage? That's pretty bad.

You can hear the noise from other stages while watching something at a certain stage? That's pretty bad.
not really. only when you're walking from stage to stage can you hear it enough for it to be a problem. The fact that there's as little bleedthrough as there is is a miracle considering every stage is outdoors.

not really. only when you're walking from stage to stage can you hear it enough for it to be a problem. The fact that there's as little bleedthrough as there is is a miracle considering every stage is outdoors.

You must go to loud bands. As one who generally slightly quieter bands, the bass from the dj/dubstep/electronic acts can overpower over acts.

c13-venue-map.original.jpg

That is why I prefer indoor festivals like Moogfest in Asheville NC: smaller crowds, no noise bleeding into other performances, etc

So its not worth the hassle and price?

For me, not at all. It ends up being really expensive and most of the bands I would want to see could be seen at clubs/small concert halls with alot less stress and cost.

Linius

Okay, that's good then. I don't really mind hearing some sound from various stages when I'm just walking in the open. That comment worried me a little :p

As someone from Europe I'd just like to go to Coachella alone for the fact that it's in the US and it would be perfect to combine with a holiday there. But for near future there's no way I can save the money to make that trip. Also must say that I like the Bonnaroo line-up more this year. After Primavera (Barcelona) possibly the best festival line-up I've seen so far this year. That goes for my taste obviously, not to start a discussion about that :p

You must go to loud bands. As one who generally slightly quieter bands, the bass from the dj/dubstep/electronic acts can overpower over acts.

c13-venue-map.original.jpg

That is why I prefer indoor festivals like Moogfest in Asheville NC: smaller crowds, no noise bleeding into other performances, etc
This is going to be my fourth year, and I've seen loud and quiet bands. Sound bleed has never been an issue unless you're on the right side outside the tent closest to Sahara

Gorillaz

I hear stories how dehydration is like the biggest problem there. Like people need to pack a watercooler and shit just to make it through an hour of music

Linius

I hear stories how dehydration is like the biggest problem there. Like people need to pack a watercooler and shit just to make it through an hour of music

I was at Lowlands in The Netherlands last year and we some how had crazy hot summer weather and I must say it's a chore to check bands the whole day in heath like that. I figure every Coachella edition is like that since it's always good weather around these parts. I'm glad we had the security at the ready with buckets of water and sponges for everyone to keep it cool.

Foo Fighters and Wilco would have played two hours at last year's Lowlands but they eventually decided to cut that half an hour short because of the heath.

Coachella definitely isn't worth it imo. It's pretty miserable. Just watch the stream in civilization and save the money for when some of these bands roll through your city.

Watching the Of Monsters and Men set right now. Pretty damn good. Just found out they are playing Fox Theater in Oakland soon, but it's already sold out =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom