• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS February |OT| of Curious (Black) Creators & Curious (Black) Characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I was late on the Batwoman series so if anyone can bring me up to speed as to why Kathy modeled her identity after Batman and why Batman hasn't shown up to tell her to stop I'd appreciate it.

I don't recall any in-canon explanation of how she got her look, just that her dad helped her get her gear together before they became estranged. Also Batman has shown up a couple of times now. Batwoman #0 was all about him investigating her trying to figure out who her secret identity was. After he found out it was Kate he tried to recruit her to Batman, Inc but she joined up with the DEO instead.

Satch

Banned
she modeled her look after Batman because she wanted a "uniform" that told Gotham whose side she was on, and the Bat family is the most prevailing form of authority in the city

the Bat is like a badge of honor to her

Tell that to X-men fans...I hope he doesn't comes close to Team Wolverine books.

That's the only thing I'm worried about. Not because I find him a horrible writer like some, but because those books are on another writing level entirely at the moment.

Mifune

Mehmber
'scuse me in advance for the slight derail.

I remembered the praise that Locke & Key had received in here earlier when I was browsing through the comics in my local library and came across the first three books. I was extremely sceptical at first since the artwork didn't really impress me at first and when I pondered for a moment, where the name Joe Hill was familiar from - then I remembered that he wrote the clusterfuck that was called Heart-Shaped Box and scepticism rose even to a higher level. But as the comic-hivemind hasn't failed me yet, I decided to just go with it.

Looking back in retrospect, I think that was one of the best decisions I've made this year.

Sweet mother of god, that series is seriously addictive and gripping! I mean, the first 50 or so pages went with getting to know the vibe of the series but after that, I just devoured the remains of the first book and the two books after it in one sitting. Sogood.gif.

Yeah, it's great ain't it?

I didn't care for Heart-Shaped Box either. But the storytelling, character work, and pacing of Locke and Key is just phenomenal.

And here's the kicker...Book Four is the best yet.

I was late on the Batwoman series so if anyone can bring me up to speed as to why Kathy modeled her identity after Batman and why Batman hasn't shown up to tell her to stop I'd appreciate it.
Short version: Army brat is traumatized by murder of mother and twin sister by terrorists. Grows up wanting to follow in parents' footsteps in the Army and enlists. Drops out of West Point after being outed as a lesbian, gives up on lifelong dream. Drifts through life without direction, becomes party girl and dates Montoya. Breaks up with Montoya, has chance encounter with the Batman one night, after fighting off a mugger. Is inspired by encounter to "enlist" in his war on crime, starts moonlighting as vigilante. Dad finds out what she's been doing, sees his daughter has found a new purpose and decides to help. Spends a few years traveling and training, then returns to Gotham. Dad sets her up with military hardware and new uniform to show her allegiance to the Batman's cause. Batwoman!

Cool, thanks for the quick answer. I heard Tim was messed with much less than most others in the move to DCnU, although I'm still not 100% on the costume.

Just to get it out of the way I really like Tim but I've missed most of his stuff. :( So what (volumes) would anyone recommend if I wanted to get a quick catch up on him? I'm planning on all the Red Robins (as well as FC, RIP, and BftC.) I also want to check out Robin: Wanted, but that's it for pre-FC I know I want to get.
Not really a quick catch up for Tim Drake out there, he's been around since the early 90s. He had a solo series that ran for 184 issues; then there's Young Justice which ran for 55 issues, and then the previous Teen Titans series and another 100 issues.

she modeled her look after Batman because she wanted a "uniform" that told Gotham whose side she was on, and the Bat family is the most prevailing form of authority in the city

the Bat is like a badge of honor to her

Hey!

Back in the OT kitchen. >:|

A March thread should be like a badge of honor to you.

Oh ho ho ho ho!

Picked up Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #1, Crack Comics #63, Spaceman #4, and re-bought Punisher Circle of Blood because the newer collection has a bunch of Mike Zeck production art in it!

The only way Marvel could possibly top Garth Ennis's Punisher run is by giving Mike Zeck a gigantic sack of cash to work with Garth Ennis on one more Punisher story. I would cum so much I'd die of dehydration.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not really a quick catch up for Tim Drake out there, he's been around since the early 90s. He had a solo series that ran for 184 issues; then there's Young Justice which ran for 55 issues, and then the previous Teen Titans series and another 100 issues.

I'll work my way through it but I was just wondering if there are any specific issues (or volumes) that would be worth reading first (like say, the one where his dad dies.)

So Kathy has no idea who Batman is? She just traveled the world and learned to be a bigger badass too through sheer coincidence?
She only met Batman once before becoming Batwoman, with the mugging incident. The encounter made such an impression that she stole some military gear and started beating up drug dealers on her own. When her dad confronted her, and she explained why she was doing it, he basically said "okay I get it but if you're going to do this, then you'll do it right." He pulled strings and used his connections in the global military/intelligence communities to send his daughter on a long training voyage, and to get her the gear she'd need to be Batwoman.

In other words: daddy couldn't get her to stop, so he made sure she got the training and tech she'd need to stay alive.

Tell that to X-men fans...I hope he doesn't comes close to Team Wolverine books.

Jason Aaron has confirmed multiple times he isn't leaving WATXM for a LONG time. Cullen Bunn JUST got on Wolverine, and I'm pretty sure Remender is safe to write UXF for as long as he wants, considering how successful it's been.

Somebody threw out the idea that they were doing some kind X-men and Avengers mix. That sounds like something Bendis would do.

Well, whatever it is, it's not a reboot, and that's the best news of all.

Double post but Joe Quesada has been twitting about infinity.

The future of storytelling is ∞

The possibilities are ∞

The future is ∞

Marvel Comics Netflix, incoming!

Double post but Joe Quesada has been twitting about infinity.

The future of storytelling is ?

The possibilities are ?

The future is ?

Marvel Comics Netflix, incoming!

Hahaha, MDCU is as close as we'll get to that anytime soon. I'm sure this (probably the SXSW announcement) will be some digital move that sounds bold only until it becomes clear how much it's been crippled in order to protect the direct market.

Hahaha, MDCU is as close as we'll get to that anytime soon. I'm sure this (probably the SXSW announcement) will be some digital move that sounds bold only until it becomes clear how much it's been crippled in order to protect the direct market.

I wonder if it's just pointless to protect comic shops and Diamond.

I'm a creature of habit and caution. I paid $100 for my touchpad during that clearance, and it doesn't enter the bathroom, and since it's a fancy computerized device I don't feel as safe carrying it around with me. Sorry, living in a bad area has conditioned me to not broadcast ownership of having nice things.

Meanwhile I still enjoy reading comics in the bathroom. I'm less concerned about humidity or water killing them.

I have the feeling both markets could co-exist with old coots and the rest of the creatures of habit like myself buying our dead trees, and kids buying their icomics.

A bigger concern for me is the people who want to see monthlies die off. Listening to artists and creators discuss the market, a big reason monthly issues still exist is because it's the best model for pay for these independent contractors.

Either way - a low monthly fee digital service with access to all content is something that will always be relevant to my interests. Not a fan of DRM shenanigans.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So Kathy has no idea who Batman is? She just traveled the world and learned to be a bigger badass too through sheer coincidence?

I think she's aware since she's been "accepted" in the family by Nightwing, or at least that's the impression that I got from that one issue in the 52 series.

New Shazam design revealed:

“You’ll notice that SHAZAM! looks different from many of the other heroes we’ve seen in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52,” said editor Brian Cunningham. “That was definitely intentional. His powers come from a different place, and we wanted to see that reflected in the design. We’ve removed the “circus strongman” elements from his costume. Rather than a traditional cape, he wears a cloak with a hood; there’s more of a mystical, magical, fantasy feel to that.”

ESxbd.jpg

...probably not the best first image to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom