• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Messi

Not yet. I've only read Fatale so far. Not that it was bad it just wasn't for me.

I bought The Fade Out in the last Image sale though. I think it's subject matter will be closer to my tastes.

If I like that and people like Kill or be Killed I'll probably pick it up down the road.

Give the Criminal series a try, top notch stuff

Not yet. I've only read Fatale so far. Not that it was bad it just wasn't for me.

I bought The Fade Out in the last Image sale though. I think it's subject matter will be closer to my tastes.

If I like that and people like Kill or be Killed I'll probably pick it up down the road.
My recommendation for first creator-owned Brubaker book is The Last of the Innocent

I didn't take to Criminal at first because I was thinking "this is just straight-forward crime stuff, and I don't have a hard-on for crime, so I might not be the audience for this".

I do like crime, but I like Raymond Chandler novels, and the movies of the Coens and Shane Black, because that stuff is really goddamn funny. The early Brubaker stuff I tried, by comparison, is mostly played straight.

But The Last of the Innocent is where I came back, and that's where he got a little more creative with what he was doing. That isn't just some plain-ass crime story, it's a fun use of the medium that really wouldn't work at all if it wasn't a comic book.

From that, I went to Fatale, and that was another departure from what I thought of as an archetypical Brubaker comic. Now that I've seen more of his range, I've come back around and become more open to the straighter stuff too.

The Fade Out is really damn good. The thing I liked most about it is that while it's a mystery, it has no interest in obfuscating facts or tricking the reader or trying to pull out some shocking twists for shock's sake. You can and will get ahead of the story and be able to figure it out, because it's a logical, plausible story that feels like a real thing that happened, involving real people with real motivations, so it all comes off feeling authentic and honest in a way that I don't think enough mysteries do.

This post went on longer than I intended. Sorry.

TheFlow

Banned
The greatest Crime comic book of all time hands down is Stray Bullets. not saying everything else sucks or anything, but Stray bullets is what I compare everything else to

Here's what I want:

Batman TAS

2K transfer of every episode over a bunch of disks

Commentary

The making of videos

Trailers

Cast interviews

Some chintzy statue

Some mini posters

And an action figure

$200

Holiday 2017

Edit: and a big ass box that won't look good on any shelf
Yes please. Also available to buy in the UK. WB never releasing season 3 & 4 on DVD here really saddens me.

I watched Mask of the Phantasm earlier today. Best Batman film.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My recommendation for first creator-owned Brubaker book is The Last of the Innocent

I didn't take to Criminal at first because I was thinking "this is just straight-forward crime stuff, and I don't have a hard-on for crime, so I might not be the audience for this".

I do like crime, but I like Raymond Chandler novels, and the movies of the Coens and Shane Black, because that stuff is really goddamn funny. The early Brubaker stuff I tried, by comparison, is mostly played straight.

But The Last of the Innocent is where I came back, and that's where he got a little more creative with what he was doing. That isn't just some plain-ass crime story, it's a fun use of the medium that really wouldn't work at all if it wasn't a comic book.

From that, I went to Fatale, and that was another departure from what I thought of as an archetypical Brubaker comic. Now that I've seen more of his range, I've come back around and become more open to the straighter stuff too.

The Fade Out is really damn good. The thing I liked most about it is that while it's a mystery, it has no interest in obfuscating facts or tricking the reader or trying to pull out some shocking twists for shock's sake. You can and will get ahead of the story and be able to figure it out, because it's a logical, plausible story that feels like a real thing that happened, involving real people with real motivations, so it all comes off feeling authentic and honest in a way that I don't think enough mysteries do.

This post went on longer than I intended. Sorry.

It's cool man thanks for all that.

The reason I went with The Fade Out is because LA Confidential is one of my favorite movies and the two have a similar setting if nothing else.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Shoutout to whatsinaname for the Sandman Mystery Theater recc. Finished the first volume and really liked it. A lot of fucked up things happen to female characters, but I love that you spend equal time with Dian as you do with Sandman. She's a great character.

Megatron

Uncanny%2BInhumans%2B%25282015-%2529%2B002-005.jpg

Lol >_<

Ha ha ha. That's awesome.

Weird. The one he linked says it's metal, both in the item name and description. The one I linked is the same company and size, but doesn't say anywhere what it's made out of, and somehow the one I linked to weighs more. I'm not sure what it's made of if its 1/3 cheaper, but also heavier.

I saw that but the 300 one says 1:1 and full metal while the other one doesn't
They both have a 24" diameter.

Flying home for most of tomorrow, so I'm posting my list now. Busy week, lots of comics.

Batman #4
Green Arrow #4
Harley Quinn #1 - mistakes were made
Kill Or Be Killed #1
Nightwing #2
Paper Girls #8
Suicide Squad Rebirth #1 and Done
Superman #4

Really close to pulling the trigger on a 9.7 iPad Pro with the whole $200 off from Best Buy deal. Still feels crazy expensive since I'll only use it for Comixology and MU, but I'm leaning that way.

TheFlow

Banned
It looks like the difference may be in material. The $300 one is 7 lbs. whereas the other one is 2.2 lbs.

oh shit. how did I miss that!. If I do decide to get it it will be for display purposes and goofing around. Can't see myself carrying around an expensive shield and getting jumped around Tampa.

VanWinkle

Man, I love the style of art Lark, Mazzuccheli, and Aja (and probably others) use. It's a very realistic drawing style (very proper proportions and anatomy), but done in a really pleasing way. Despite everything being non-stylized, they focus not in detail but atmosphere. Crisp lines used sparingly, with flat coloring, but still manages to look very modern. I especially love the thick ink lines Aja uses. Lark's is obviously a little more noir-ish than the other two, but utilizes the same design sensibilities.

What makes me mad is that a year ago, when I started reading comics, I didn't like this style. I wanted it to either be stylized like Cooke or really realistic with complex coloring and tons of ink detail. I appreciate this style so much these days.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Flying home for most of tomorrow, so I'm posting my list now. Busy week, lots of comics.

Batman #4
Green Arrow #4
Harley Quinn #1 - mistakes were made
Kill Or Be Killed #1
Nightwing #2
Paper Girls #8
Suicide Squad Rebirth #1 and Done
Superman #4

Really close to pulling the trigger on a 9.7 iPad Pro with the whole $200 off from Best Buy deal. Still feels crazy expensive since I'll only use it for Comixology and MU, but I'm leaning that way.

I'm disgusted by the lack of Stray Bullets.

LIST!

Black Science #23
Nailbiter #24
Paper Girls #8
Tokyo Ghost #9
The Walking Dead #157

TheFlow

Banned
I binged bought all of stray bullets sunshine and roses, but I am too afraid to read it. Don't won't be let down by everything that comes after it

Messi

That looks SO good!

I really don't like Pulido's art either. No disrespect to the artist. Just not my style.

Pls read Lazarus. The hardcovers are so beautiful. All art by Lark too.

I pre-ordered the Season Pass for Telltale's Batman. It was on sale for $22.

Preordering telltale games. Really? I have never paid over $10 for their season passes. Got their bundle of all the recent seasons for 35. Game of thrones, tales of the borderlands, Wolf among us, walking dead 1 and 2... 35$

Messi

Telltale needs to fix their shitty engine first. Ruined episode 3 of tales of the borderlands for me. The end of it was nigh on impossible to play. Freezing for 2-3 seconds every 5 seconds during the final action scene and resolution. I was picking choices I couldn't see and didn't see the outcome. Even re installed it and no change.

Telltale needs to fix their shitty engine first. Ruined episode 3 of tales of the borderlands for me. The end of it was nigh on impossible to play. Freezing for 2-3 seconds every 5 seconds during the final action scene and resolution. I was picking choices I couldn't see and didn't see the outcome. Even re installed it and no change.

You have no idea how often I hear this. While their games do stutter now and then, my experiences with their games have been seemingly far better than everyone else's. It makes me wonder if everyone else plays these games on a potato.

and die in a snowstorm? no thanks

You're more likely to be mauled to death by a moose.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
You have no idea how often I hear this. While their games do stutter now and then, my experiences with their games have been seemingly far better than everyone else's. It makes me wonder if everyone else plays these games on a potato.

I tried to play on my iPad Pro and it played that way. Haven't had an issue on consoles, I don't think. It gets real frustrating though. Ruined bits of the Wolf Among us.

Messi

You're more likely to be mauled to death by a moose.

I played on xbox one. It's unacceptable.

What did you ask?

Ok good, we all asked the same question I see

Do you bleed?

fucking dead! like forreal? everyone being hush hush

"@tanehisicoates i havent read black panther yet but do you like anime?"

Previous times we asked comics pros this led to Ales Kot learning about us and considering joining. Sejic also told us his fave anime. But no one was surprised Sejic is into anime.

I tried to play on my iPad Pro and it played that way. Haven't had an issue on consoles, I don't think. It gets real frustrating though. Ruined bits of the Wolf Among us.

Apparently when you pre-order the Batman season pass, you get The Wolf Among Us for free. Boy was I confused when I completed my purchase and TWAU started downloading automatically. I already played it back on PS3 and have no great desire to go through it again at the moment. I played it more because I enjoy TT adventure games than because I have any great affinity for Fables.

I played on xbox one. It's unacceptable.

It absolutely is.

Sandfox

Coates says that he wants to write 60 issues to tell the story he has planned and that's pretty crazy when you look at how few modern writers actually hit that.

Coates says that he wants to write 60 issues to tell the story he has planned and that's pretty crazy when you look at how few modern writers actually hit that.

Not to mention how few hit a number like that without the story suffering. Take 100 Bullets. Great book, but it definitely dragged on a bit too long for its own good. BKV did it with Y: The Last Man, so I think he can go the distance with Saga, too.

Top Bottom