• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop Drinks 5 shots on video kills 2 people - walks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chicago Way - corrupt judges and cops circling the wagons:

Prosecutors made two attempts to prove that Ardelean did. After the two-vehicle fatal crash Nov. 22 in Roscoe Village, Ardelean was charged with misdemeanor DUI -- later upgraded to a felony. But those charges were dismissed when Cook County Judge Don Panarese ruled there was "no indication" Ardelean, who was off-duty at the time, was drunk. Prosecutors reinstated charges after saying they had a lengthy surveillance videotape showing Ardelean drinking five shots and other drinks at a North Side bar shortly before the crash.

Prosecutors also suggested in pretrial hearings that police the night of the crash turned a blind eye to Ardelean's intoxication. Among other things, he wasn't arrested or given a Breathalyzer until seven hours after the crash. But Gainer ruled in April that the supervising officer who ultimately made the arrest didn't have strong enough evidence to do so. Gainer's ruling also suppressed key blood-alcohol evidence.

http://www.suntimes.com/2354708,thanksgiving-day-crash-charges-dropped-060410.article

Sielys said:
So wait, why is the video illegal?

< Not very good w/ legal stuff >.>

he is referring to the thread from a few days ago where a state is trying to make it illegal to video on duty police officers.

The police report obviously paints a different picture....
THE ACCIDENT

On Nov. 22, 2007, off-duty Officer John Ardelean was involved in a traffic crash that killed Erick Lagunas, 22, and Miguel Flores, 21. According to the police report, the 2:39 a.m. accident happened after Lagunas' Pontiac Grand Am (1) did not yield to Ardelean's Dodge Durango SUV (2) at the T-intersection of Oakdale and Damen. Lagunas had a stop sign. Ardelean did not. Ardelean's SUV broadsided the Grand Am, sending it into two parked cars on Damen.

MCX

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Just a few bad apples, not at all indicative of a system that needs gross reform.
Except that our
(miscarriage of)
"justice" system is in dire need of reform.

quickwhips

If the cop was drunk he was drunk. If the people didn't stop at a stop sign and the cop hits him it shouldn't be his fault wether he had a few drinks or not? Not enough info in this post to tell. But I'm sure that people have already came to their decision.

KnightM7

Banned
elrechazao said:
The Chicago Way - corrupt judges and cops circling the wagons:

Prosecutors made two attempts to prove that Ardelean did. After the two-vehicle fatal crash Nov. 22 in Roscoe Village, Ardelean was charged with misdemeanor DUI -- later upgraded to a felony. But those charges were dismissed when Cook County Judge Don Panarese ruled there was "no indication" Ardelean, who was off-duty at the time, was drunk. Prosecutors reinstated charges after saying they had a lengthy surveillance videotape showing Ardelean drinking five shots and other drinks at a North Side bar shortly before the crash.

Prosecutors also suggested in pretrial hearings that police the night of the crash turned a blind eye to Ardelean's intoxication. Among other things, he wasn't arrested or given a Breathalyzer until seven hours after the crash. But Gainer ruled in April that the supervising officer who ultimately made the arrest didn't have strong enough evidence to do so. Gainer's ruling also suppressed key blood-alcohol evidence.

http://www.suntimes.com/2354708,thanksgiving-day-crash-charges-dropped-060410.article
There was actually a case like this in my city in which the cop DID do a breathalyser test on the drunk cop. You know what happened after? the judge deemed that the rookie officer had no reason to perform the test and threw out the evidence.

So yeah, theres always a way for cops to weasel their way out.

Ducarmel

why is it Chicago most of the time too. Wasn't the last couple of cop threads about Chicago or some Illinois police too.

Dead Man

So if that accident report is accurate, the dead guys ran a stop sign? Inflammatory title much? This is really just a question of whether you think a drunk driver should be blamed for an accident that was not his fault.

Assuming all the facts as presented are correct.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
RiskyChris said:
Just a few bad apples, not at all indicative of a system that needs gross reform.

True, but shouldn't the fact that the system needs gross reform tell ya something in and of itself?

Dorrin

MikeE21286 said:
The police report obviously paints a different picture....

And why exactly would we believe the police report? The only two people who could give a different point of view are dead. He wasn't even given a breathalyzer at the time of the crash. Come on.

Brettison said:
True, but shouldn't the fact that the system needs gross reform tell ya something in and of itself?

I guess so but I'm kinda terrified of the consequences of holding cops to a higher standard.

Dorrin said:
And why exactly would we believe the police report? The only two people who could give a different point of view are dead. He wasn't even given a breathalyzer at the time of the crash. Come on.

sarcasm not translating over the internet, my bad

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
RiskyChris said:
I'd be drinking too if I had such a stressful job, maybe you guys need to walk in his moccasins hmmmmmmmm?

Oh, great. The GAF "police defense force" is here led by RiskyChris white knighting his way through another worthless cause. Who are you going to defend next? Hitler and the Nazis? I tell you what, you can always find someone on GAF to defend anything. Anything.

notworksafe

mre said:
Who are you going to defend next? Hitler and the Nazis?

6f41td.gif

DonMigs85

Wonder if the fact that the victims were Latino played any part in the Judge's decision. I sure hope not.
Dang rotten cops. And anyone who's ever lost a loved one to a drunk driver should despise alcohol forever.

mre said:
Oh, great. The GAF "police defense force" is here led by RiskyChris white knighting his way through another worthless cause. Who are you going to defend next? Hitler and the Nazis? I tell you what, you can always find someone on GAF to defend anything. Anything.

Not sure if serious?

Cubsfan23

Banned
Dead Man said:
So if that accident report is accurate, the dead guys ran a stop sign? Inflammatory title much? This is really just a question of whether you think a drunk driver should be blamed for an accident that was not his fault.

Assuming all the facts as presented are correct.

If you shouldn't be on the road, it's your fault no matter what. Just like a person with no license gets 100% fault if they are in a car accident.

dark_chris

Gold Member
WowBaby said:
Corrupt cops is just a fact of life. A shame that not even video is enough to nab this one.

its just normal in chicago, myths the mob control the city, yatta yatta yatta.
Police officers get in trouble, they get bailed by their buddies, system fails.

MechaX

quickwhips said:
If the cop was drunk he was drunk. If the people didn't stop at a stop sign and the cop hits him it shouldn't be his fault wether he had a few drinks or not? Not enough info in this post to tell. But I'm sure that people have already came to their decision.

I personally don't know how liability works in the case of DUIs exactly. Even if the officer was drunk, the fact of the matter is that the other people ran the stop sign if all these facts are correct. I can see both sides of the argument, but I can understand why one would put the responsibility on the drivers.

However, while the cop's responsibility in the car accident is in question, if the video is worth something, that should be more than enough for a serious reprimand in of itself. If so, the cop was drinking (and driving) on the job and should suffer the consequences of such separate from the accident.

Mumei

mre said:

:lol

he's not serious

_Isaac said:
I wish the article would explain why some of the evidence was dropped.
The evidence was dropped because it could have gotten a police officer in trouble and Cook County is corrupt as fuck.

Jenga

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Wasn't defending cops, Chicago, corruption, drunk driving. Just arithmetic.
arithmetic kills about the same amount of people that corrupt drunk driving chicago does

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Dirty cops are one of the few things that make this world as awsome as it is.

grumble

So a cop who's off duty gets in an accident because the other car ran a stop sign?

I mean the drunk driving is horrible if true, but it isn't necessarily evidence of incurable police corruption.

I find that in the US more than in many other democracies there is a hate for authority, including cops. They aren't perfect, but they do a pretty good job overall.

grumble said:
I find that in the US more than in many other democracies there is a hate for authority, including cops. They aren't perfect, but they do a pretty good job overall.

Pretty good job is not fucking good enough.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
grumble said:
So a cop who's off duty gets in an accident because the other car ran a stop sign?

I think it's more a cop is not charged with DUI or held to the same standards as civilian drunk drivers, even when they're off duty.

Xeke

Banned
grumble said:

I mean the drunk driving is horrible if true, but it isn't necessarily evidence of incurable police corruption.

Anyone else would get manslaughter charges. In the world of driving DUI is much worse than running a stop sign.

Onemic

Jenga said:
nonsense, cops aren't spiderman

Yep, in fact not only should it be illegal to videotape cops, they should be completely above the law in that they can never be charged for any offense they make, off duty or on. Not that this isn't pretty much the case already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom