• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corbyn sacks Hilary Benn, Half Shadow cabinet expected to resign today (Labour)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonCha

So The Guardian's suggesting that Tom Watson's meeting with Corbyn tomorrow will encourage him to leave. I think he has to, really: this is such blatant undermining of his authority.

I'm not sure I'd want Watson but, frankly, they need a unifying leader to take advantage of the Conservatives at the moment. They really are weak at the moment.

Jezbollah

If he's blocked then Labour is well and truly finished as a mass movement. They'll lose half their membership overnight.

As much as I dislike Jeremy Corbyn, you are absolutely correct here. If he is legally entitled to be on the ballot due to him being the leader that is being challenged, and if he is blocked from doing so, then the chaos that will be the result is entirely justified.

Corbyn office 'sabotaged' EU Remain campaign - sources - BBC News

And documents passed to the BBC suggest Jeremy Corbyn's office sought to delay and water down the Labour Remain campaign. Sources suggest that they are evidence of "deliberate sabotage".

One email from the leader's office suggests that Mr Corbyn's director of strategy and communications, Seumas Milne, was behind Mr Corbyn's reluctance to take a prominent role in Labour's campaign to keep the UK in the EU. One email, discussing one of the leader's speeches, said it was because of the "hand of Seumas. If he can't kill it, he will water it down so much to hope nobody notices it".

A series of messages dating back to December seen by the BBC shows correspondence between the party leader's office, the Labour Remain campaign and Labour HQ, discussing the European campaign. It shows how a sentence talking about immigration was removed on one occasion and how Mr Milne refused to sign off a letter signed by 200 MPs after it had already been approved.

The documents show concern in Labour HQ and the Labour Remain campaign about Mr Corbyn's commitment to the campaign - one email says: "What is going on here?" Another email from Labour Remain sources to the leader's office complains "there is no EU content here - we agreed to have Europe content in it". Sources say they show the leader's office was reluctant to give full support to the EU campaign and how difficult it was to get Mr Corbyn to take a prominent role.

icO3PSF.jpg

Bumhead

Banned
Sabotage is a very strong accusation, but at best I don't how anybody can be delusional enough to think Corbyn's stance on the EU referendum was genuine. The Labour stance on the vote was half arsed throughout. I watched his interview the morning of the result and it looked like he couldn't care a less.

I'm gutted because I badly wanted Corbyn and a strong Labour to work, but it hasn't and it's got to a point where it never will. He's been up against it with the media from the start and the various splits in the party have reached nuclear levels now.

We desperately need a strong Labour Party right now, and rightly or wrongly (in my view, sadly) that doesn't include Mr Corbyn as its leader.

lol so now Corbyn will be the scapegoat? This a very dangerous game. Labour is playing with his future as a country wide party if they oust Corbyn this way.

Look forward to UKIP taking all those juicy Labour voters outside London.

Jezbollah

lol so now Corbyn will be the scapegoat? This a very dangerous game. Labour is playing with his future as a country wide party if they oust Corbyn this way.

Look forward to UKIP taking all those juicy Labour voters outside London.

There was a poll saying that 30% of Labour voters wouldn't be voting for them next election should Corbyn be leader so they're in trouble either way.

Spaghetti

BBC trying a bit too hard.
Yeah. It seems weird to see how quick some people are pivoting from "he's weak, ineffectual, nobody cares, nobody listens" to suddenly the reason we left the EU.

The Referendum was the Dave & Boris show, and I don't really see how much blame can be pinned on Corbyn's contributions (or lack of), when the Tory in-fighting sucked up all the air to the point even UKIP struggled for coverage.

Hazzuh

Glad they're leaving. Sick of these Tory lite neo libs. Not an ounce of integrity among them. THEY fucked the party from the start by trying to fuck him over, the leader selected by the damn people they're supposed to be representing.

I'm sick of fools who are so self involved that they care more about having a Labour party which agrees with you on every single issue than they do about actually being able to pass legislation that can help people who really need it right now.

Yeah. It seems weird to see how quick some people are pivoting from "he's weak, ineffectual, nobody cares, nobody listens" to suddenly the reason we left the EU.

The Referendum was the Dave & Boris show, and I don't really see how much blame can be pinned on Corbyn's contributions (or lack of), when the Tory in-fighting sucked up all the air to the point even UKIP struggled for coverage.

It was the "Dave & Boris show" because Corbyn chose to sit out of the referendum. Obviously Cameron and Johnson hold blame, so does Corbyn. At least Cameron was decent enough to resign.

You can't say that tory infighting is the reason Labour didn't break through because Corbyn didn't even try.

Spaghetti

It was the "Dave & Boris show" because Corbyn chose to sit out of the referendum. Obviously Cameron and Johnson hold blame, so does Corbyn. At least Cameron was decent enough to resign.
Now, come on. They commanded the press almost exclusively during the Referendum. Even UKIP barely managed to get coverage when they set the agenda for the cause of the Referendum and likely the issue that won it for Leave, immigration.

Now, come on. They commanded the press almost exclusively during the Referendum. Even UKIP barely managed to get coverage when they set the agenda for the cause of the Referendum and likely the issue that won it for Leave, immigration.

The media agenda was always Boris vs Dave. Corbyn was out making speeches, it's a separate story that he's not going to appear in the Sun.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/146518048964/statement-from-jeremy-corbyn

Labour Press
Statement from Jeremy Corbyn

Jeremy Corbyn MP, Leader of the Labour Party, said:

“Our country faces a huge challenge following Thursday’s vote to leave the European Union. And the British people have a right to know how their elected leaders are going to respond.

“We need to come together to heal the divisions exposed by the vote. We have to respect the decision that has been made, hold the government to democratic account over its response, and ensure that working people don’t pay the price of exit.

“Neither wing of the Tory government has an exit plan. Labour will now ensure that our reform agenda is at the heart of the negotiations that lie ahead. That includes the freedom to shape our economy for the future and the necessity of protecting social and employment rights.

“One clear message from last Thursday’s vote is that millions of people feel shut out of a political and economic system that has let them down and scarred our country with grotesque levels of inequality.

“I was elected by hundreds of thousands of Labour Party members and supporters with an overwhelming mandate for a different kind of politics.

“I regret there have been resignations today from my shadow cabinet. But I am not going to betray the trust of those who voted for me – or the millions of supporters across the country who need Labour to represent them.

“Those who want to change Labour’s leadership will have to stand in a democratic election, in which I will be a candidate.

“Over the next 24 hours I will reshape my shadow cabinet and announce a new leadership team to take forward Labour’s campaign for a fairer Britain - and to get the best deal with Europe for our people.”

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
He's utterly delusional. If nobody gave a shit about the cabinet he scraped together from Miliband's offcuts, I can only imagine how irrelevant the new one will be. That's if he survives long enough to announce it.

Not all lost - Sam Cameron's sister is joining Labour

"How quickly can I join the Labour party? I want to have a say so the right wing Tories are held at bay. I only voted Tory for David"

Oregano

Corbyn's totally the guy to unite the country in these difficult times, just look at how well he's uniting his shadow cabinet!

TrueBlue

Sabotage is a very strong accusation, but at best I don't how anybody can be delusional enough to think Corbyn's stance on the EU referendum was genuine. The Labour stance on the vote was half arsed throughout. I watched his interview the morning of the result and it looked like he couldn't care a less.

I'm gutted because I badly wanted Corbyn and a strong Labour to work, but it hasn't and it's got to a point where it never will. He's been up against it with the media from the start and the various splits in the party have reached nuclear levels now.

We desperately need a strong Labour Party right now, and rightly or wrongly (in my view, sadly) that doesn't include Mr Corbyn as its leader.

This, unfortunately, is my view as well.

Ieu

This has been something focused on by Farron and the LDs since Corbyn's election, but it will take a lot to convince people to flip parties.

Libdems have got one hell of a challenge if they're supposed to be a party to contend with. People are giving shit because Corbyn didn't sell remain, but then NOBODY gave a damn what the Libdem position was. Right now labour's only problems surround a leader they don't want with no credible replacement and a need to convince the public they can run a balanced budget. The Libdems might have the leader position sorted (or at least there's no open challenge) but everyone remembers them bowing and scraping to the tories in the coalition and their broken promises.

Just as remain will find out, it's really hard to get the public to trust you again once their deceptive nature has been found out and reality ensues.

I have basically not heard of any of these people. He's gonna have to beat the curtains in the Lords and hope someone falls out from when they got stuck there in 1974 if he wants to fill his cabinet.

Protome

Will this keep Abbot off the tv at least? I have no idea how good she is as an MP but she is a disaster when put in front of a camera.

pigeon

Banned
This is very recent, though. If you go back to, e.g., 1985, the UK was renowned for having the most disciplined party system in the world. Even the 2000s were remarkably disciplined, aside from a few events like the Iraq war. This turmoil is not at all anywhere near the norm.

From an American perspective, it just looks like you guys are having a good old-fashioned party realignment. The problem is that the UK hasn't ever, to my knowledge, had one of those. (I mean probably there were some about, like, Jacobites, but nothing that made Wikipedia.)

Given that you guys have a multiparty system you'd really expect other parties to emerge and sideline the Tories and Labour. Theoretically, that would be UKIP and the Lib Dems, I guess. But the two main parties may just be too entrenched to be dislodged and so they're undergoing massive upheaval instead just as they would in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom