• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Hsu leaves 1up

1UP Magazine, or changing EGM into a PC/Console magazine. I doubt they want to throw away the EGM name.

Anyways, I think that at least makes sense. Why wouldn't GFW get a last issue? Was it really that financially impossible to give a last issue to a magazine that ran for 27 years? I smell fish.

skip said:
I bought some new socks
bravo_hydrogen_bomb_15_megaton-wl.jpg

adelante

:(

Though the timing is less than ideal, following the closure of GFW, the fact is that like Mark Macdonald before him, Shoe feels it's time to take a break from work and that after almost 12 years at Ziff (with a year off on Gamers.com) it's time for change in his life.

I'd just like to say how much we will miss him around here. When John left, and I went from working occasionally with Shoe on covers, to managing him and working with him full-time, I got some first-hand insight into how extraordinarily good he is at this stuff. Not just putting the best videogame mag in the business out the door each month, but energizing his team, working tirelessly with difficult publishers to snag exclusives and solving problems across the group. Real talent and ability is a rare and valuable thing on the editorial side of this industry. I can count on one hand those who even come close to Shoe in terms of craft, industry knowledge and experience. And none equal him.

This is a tough blow for the group, but I've nothing but respect for Shoe and for his life plan - despite the fact that by his own admission it seems to boil down right now to sitting on his couch racking up Xbox Live Achievement points... ;). I wish him luck and success with his future plans.

And speaking of respect, there's no shortage of that for Sam, and with his deep knowledge of our sites and digital goals, he's certainly the right man to succeed Shoe.

You're also going to see me taking a much more active role in the content side going forward. Between myself, Sam, Jeff and Milky, we think we have a pretty strong brain trust to go forward with, and we're all looking forward to working with all of you to take this network to the next level.

Next Friday we'll have drinks, and say farewell to Shoe, to 27 years of CGW/GFW, and to MJ and Rosie. Head office: brace yourself for the bar tab....

-Simon.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously... so does this mean Jeff Green is new ED?

Edit: Guess it's Sam

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8697305&publicUserId=1002446
Simon Cox said:
Okay, so maybe I AM becoming The Harbinger of Doom around here, but I take seriously my comittment to keeping you guys informed when we make big announcements or changes, so apologies if I'm about to ruin your lunch break.

I wanted to share this with you all. It's an email I sent yesterday to our group here at the 1UP Network and I think it best sums up both the situation, and how I feel about it:

I wanted to inform everyone who was not in the edit meeting that Shoe will be leaving us as April 25th. Sam Kennedy will become Editorial and Site Director moving forward.

Though the timing is less than ideal, following the closure of GFW, the fact is that like Mark Macdonald before him, Shoe feels it's time to take a break from work and that after almost 12 years at Ziff (with a year off on Gamers.com) it's time for change in his life.

I'd just like to say how much we will miss him around here. When John left, and I went from working occasionally with Shoe on covers, to managing him and working with him full-time, I got some first-hand insight into how extraordinarily good he is at this stuff. Not just putting the best videogame mag in the business out the door each month, but energizing his team, working tirelessly with difficult publishers to snag exclusives and solving problems across the group. Real talent and ability is a rare and valuable thing on the editorial side of this industry. I can count on one hand those who even come close to Shoe in terms of craft, industry knowledge and experience. And none equal him.

This is a tough blow for the group, but I've nothing but respect for Shoe and for his life plan - despite the fact that by his own admission it seems to boil down right now to sitting on his couch racking up Xbox Live Achievement points... ;). I wish him luck and success with his future plans.

And speaking of respect, there's no shortage of that for Sam, and with his deep knowledge of our sites and digital goals, he's certainly the right man to succeed Shoe.

You're also going to see me taking a much more active role in the content side going forward. Between myself, Sam, Jeff and Milky, we think we have a pretty strong brain trust to go forward with, and we're all looking forward to working with all of you to take this network to the next level.

Next Friday we'll have drinks, and say farewell to Shoe, to 27 years of CGW/GFW, and to MJ and Rosie. Head office: brace yourself for the bar tab....

-Simon.
:(

EDIT: I'm late.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
El_TigroX said:
Seriously... so does this mean Jeff Green is new ED?

Edit: Guess it's Sam

Sam Kennedy........ according to *******

a.):lol I quoted your edit and didn't notice
b.) ******* is censored. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Tiduz

Eurogaime
MaizeRage25 said:
In a few months, there won't be anyone left. Well, maybe Skip.

Nah i dont think so, but skip is an awesome dude, everytime someone leaves everyone thinks 1up is dying and it never happened :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
Simon said:

I could not agree more. Congratulations Capnsmak. Sorry to see you go Shoe. :(

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Simon needs to make a "We'll miss you" template and just put Mark/Bryan/Luke/Shoe/John's name in the gaps.

Top Bottom