• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Railer

ram said:
so far, no big slowdowns even at the boss battles - very steady framerate.

Great. Slowdown is the only graphical issue i have with games. I don't generally see tearing and aliasing (lucky me).

Denzar

Searched every gameshop here in Bruges and it's nowhere to be found yet. :(

Seems not al European retailers have it in stock allready.

The gameplay sounds intriguing but I HAAATE the art design. It looks like a medieval gears of war combined with modern American comic book sensibilities.

I'll probably pick it up at some point anyway.

KevinCow said:

I didn't know he was working on this but I don't really care about the why. I just know I don't like it.

Even so, I used to read x-men back when he was drawing it and I liked his style. What I don't like is this super-steroid puffed up armor bullshit and jagged spikes on every possible surface.

I've got to say, the enemy and overall character designs don't bother me a bit. However, what does bother me is the main character's design. There's just something about him that's "off". Maybe it's that he's super generic (pupil-less eyes, hood, giant sword) or maybe it's that he's puffed up beyond the size of most WWE wrestlers. Either way, it's the only major complaint I've got about the game so far.

roxya

I don't understand why anyone wants a ng+ in this. Couldn't you just skip to the end in your new game since you already have the tools to get there?

akachan ningen said:
I didn't know he was working on this but I don't really care about the why. I just know I don't like it.

Even so, I used to read x-men back when he was drawing it and I liked his style. What I don't like is this super-steroid puffed up armor bullshit and jagged spikes on every possible surface.

79436-159872-holocaust_super.jpg

Superblatt said:
However, what does bother me is the main character's design. There's just something about him that's "off". Maybe it's that he's super generic (pupil-less eyes, hood, giant sword) or maybe it's that he's puffed up beyond the size of most WWE wrestlers. Either way, it's the only major complaint I've got about the game so far.

A lot of people I've seen on live streams seem to think War belongs in World of Warcraft.

It's kinda what I thought for a while too. :lol

Kishgal

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
A lot of people I've seen on live streams seem to think War belongs in World of Warcraft.

It's kinda what I thought for a while too. :lol
The game's graphical style really does remind me of WoW. It's one of the reasons why I'm drawn to it, in fact.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Wassup all,

I'm from the Darksiders dev team. Great thread, discussions and points. I'm a NeoGaf virgin, so be gentle.

I know there's been talk about technical issues on Darksiders and we plan to address them next week (as soon as we return to the office). Other than that, I'm liking the reaction to the game thus far. Can't wait to hear more of the "user reviews" next week.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I thought War looked rather generic back in the early days of the game, where he was pretty much a grey beast. But the texture and color of his outfit has come alive so much since then.

I also love the fact that he's a rather big looking guy, yet he's still dwarfed by almost every important being around him. Given his position, he SHOULD feel like a warrior beyond mankind, but still somehow beneath that which would think itself greater than him.

Also, I must say his design seems like it'd fit perfect with pixel art. In much the way that Capcom enlarged the hands and feet of their characters, to make them show up in pixels, I think War's exaggerated proportions would lend well to the style.

Overall, given his genre, and the games one would compare this one to (Zelda, God O War, etc), I think he stands unique among his peers. Probably some of my favorite non-Japanese design work for a game in years.

Oh, and I have to also add, in a world where almost every game is marked with a Language/Strong Language rating, I'm so glad to see this game without it. Automatically gets it some bonus points in my book.

hdn said:
Wassup all,

I'm from the Darksiders dev team. Great thread, discussions and points. I'm a NeoGaf virgin, so be gentle.

I know there's been talk about technical issues on Darksiders and we plan to address them next week (as soon as we return to the office). Other than that, I'm liking the reaction to the game thus far. Can't wait to hear more of the "user reviews" next week.

Thanks for dropping in, and for having a hand in a game I'm quite looking forward to playing! (C'mon Jan 5th!)

sinnergy

hdn said:
Wassup all,

Hi, welcome to the forums!.

Good to hear! Because it has some serious frametearing in the 360 version. I switched all resolution modes from 480p to 1080p and it's in all modes. (doesn't relive the engine so you guys must be rendering in HD is my guess)

Even in closed quarters.. which is weird, don't know how your engine handles things but it looks like it's rendering everything (even the stuff that's not shown)

Anyway love the story so far! Very cool characters and love Mark Hamill ;) (just finished Batman aa, so it's a bit weird) so I am looking forward other parts of the game.

Canova

Banned
hdn said:
Wassup all,

hey hdn, welcome to the forum. I'm big Darksiders fan here.

What's up not having a new game plus in the game? That feature is a MUST in action game nowadays. It really multiplies the game replay value

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
thanks for the welcome!

We did talk about New Game + nearing the end of the project, but due to time restrictions we never had time to implement and test it. I know exactly how we would've done it, but alas, "time" bitch slapped us into submission.

I have a running list of "things to do" for the next project :)

Superblatt said:
I've got to say, the enemy and overall character designs don't bother me a bit. However, what does bother me is the main character's design. There's just something about him that's "off". Maybe it's that he's super generic (pupil-less eyes, hood, giant sword) or maybe it's that he's puffed up beyond the size of most WWE wrestlers. Either way, it's the only major complaint I've got about the game so far.

my take: he's basically roly-poly cute'n'lovable, & would be right at home as an action figure in 'toy story' (maybe buzz lightyear's cousin?). while i doubt this was deliberate (tho who knows?), & it won't prevent me from getting the game, it's truly the weirdest aspect of it, &, for me, will likely result in a certain amount of unintended humor - very hard to take this bulky little hard-nosed dude seriously :) ...

Canova

Banned
hdn said:
thanks for the welcome!

We did talk about New Game + nearing the end of the project, but due to time restrictions we never had time to implement and test it. I know exactly how we would've done it, but alas, "time" bitch slapped us into submission.

I have a running list of "things to do" for the next project :)

oh ok, thanks for the explanation. Is new game + easy to implement? if it's not so difficult, maybe as a DLC? .....one can hope :D

Spike

hdn said:
Wassup all,

Welcome hdn.

I have my preorder down for the PS3 version because of the tearing issue that has been brought up, but I generally do most of my gaming on the 360 since I can do a full install to the hard drive. If you guys do fix the tearing issues, I may go for the 360 version.

Some questions if you would be so kind:

- Any plans for console exclusive DLC?

- Any chance that you would release this and/or future projects on to the PC?

- One other thing, and anyone can answer this, is there any issues when playing this on an SDTV? I always ask this since the Mirror's Edge issues just to be on the safe side.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
canova said:
Is new game + easy to implement? if it's not so difficult, maybe as a DLC? .....one can hope :D

We have a few things to thrash out on our return to work, including DLC.

As for New Game+, we'd need to make sure that the caskets/chests found on the first play through are either removed, or re-inhabited with new items (such as souls). The latter would be the way we did it, so players are still rewarded, but in a different way than their first play through. All gear items and gear blockers (i.e. tremor growth (blue crystal) would stay intact, as not to break the story/general progression through the game.

We'd also need to give alternate rewards for specific items that are capped to a number (i.e. the lifestones, wrath cores etc.). So, when you defeat a BOSS for instance, instead of getting a Lifestone, you'd get a crap load of blue souls.

Once these things are done, our test department would have to play through the game completing each of the difficulty levels and then replaying the game again in different combinations to make sure everything works correctly.

Sydle

hdn said:
Wassup all,

Good to know. I'll purchase the 360 version as soon as you fix it.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Spike said:
- Any plans for console exclusive DLC?

- Any chance that you would release this and/or future projects on to the PC?

- One other thing, and anyone can answer this, is there any issues when playing this on an SDTV? I always ask this since the Mirror's Edge issues just to be on the safe side.

One of our points to discuss (other than DLC) is a PC version. Originally we had one planned, then we changed our minds, then it came back, and then went again. As there's been a lot of people asking for a PC version, we need to confer with THQ if a PC would be beneficial to put out there.

Darksiders should run fine on an SDTV, as we had specific test setups for that version when the game when through test and into submission. I've also played it on a 480p I have at home and it run fine.

Tokubetsu

hdn said:
One of our points to discuss (other than DLC) is a PC version. Originally we had one planned, then we changed our minds, then it came back, and then went again. As there's been a lot of people asking for a PC version, we need to confer with THQ if a PC would be beneficial to put out there.

Darksiders should run fine on an SDTV, as we had specific test setups for that version when the game when through test and into submission. I've also played it on a 480p I have at home and it run fine.

Will gladly double dip :lol Anything to make Joe Mad rethink about doing Dragonkind :lol

RS4-

Killed off the second boss, on my way to the third area; souls feel like they're pretty hard to come by. I think I've had maybe less than 15k in total. For sure it isn't in the 20k range unless I include the soldier...artifacts?

I wish there was more to combat though :(

Spike

hdn said:

I just want to say that if you do go the PC route, I will buy the game again.

Excellent. Now this is how testing should be done.

Thanks for responding to my questions!

TheFallen

So is the PS3 version the one to get? Saw it at a store today, but have been waiting on the final word on it. Sucks to own every platform, harder decisions :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
hdn said:

O.O

dang im flip flopping on changing my pre-order to ps3....

i remember people saying the ps3 version of arkham was better than the 360 so i got it on ps3. well, turned out it wasn't really, that they were pretty much identical. all things being equal, i'd always pick 360 because i like the controller a lot more.

Enigma777

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i remember people saying the ps3 version of arkham was better than the 360 so i got it on ps3. well, turned out it wasn't really, that they were pretty much identical. all things being equal, i'd always pick 360 because i like the controller a lot more.
Well... it did have exclusive Joker challenge maps...

mjc

I'm sticking with my preorder for a 360 copy, hopefully the suggested tearing gets patched down the road.

Guiberu

Couple of things.

Playing on the 360 I can safely say the tearing is hardly noticable. Especially during the awesome combat.

The game is fantastic overall. Graphically its much better than people are making out. Beautiful little details everywhere and a real "loved" feeling to all the environments. This isn't something that's just been smushed together and put on shelves. It feels almost metroid prime levels in terms of art direction and care.

Characters are wonderful and very likeable, even large scottish fellows :p

The comparisons to zelda are well deserved. But the aspects aren't just copied, they're expanded upon and given a new lease of life. In actual fact I would quite happily play a zelda game that was like darksiders rather than the other way around.

Just writing about the game makes me wanna go play some more. Which I might just do.

If this had been released a few months back I could've seen it being looked at seriously as a goty.

Matured zelda (in all senses of the word) with the loving art direction of metroid prime? Do I need to say any more?! Go buy it. Now. Sell an arm / child if need be.

FishSquared said:
gears of war character models meets god of war grittyness meets Zelda action?

f...t...w....
Pretty much this, other than the overbuffed main character, not too into that. For anything to be compared to a Mature Zelda, is an instant purchase. Preordered one for PS3.

Guiberu

The_Reckoning said:
Pretty much this, other than the overbuffed main character, not too into that. For anything to be compared to a Mature Zelda, is an instant purchase. Preordered one for PS3.
I'm not sure that war is actually physically deformed. He might just be wearing lots of armor. At one point he actually puts a gauntlet on top of his existing gauntlet. So....

Guiberu said:
Couple of things.

Playing on the 360 I can safely say the tearing is hardly noticable. Especially during the awesome combat.

The game is fantastic overall. Graphically its much better than people are making out. Beautiful little details everywhere and a real "loved" feeling to all the environments. This isn't something that's just been smushed together and put on shelves. It feels almost metroid prime levels in terms of art direction and care.

Characters are wonderful and very likeable, even large scottish fellows :p

The comparisons to zelda are well deserved. But the aspects aren't just copied, they're expanded upon and given a new lease of life. In actual fact I would quite happily play a zelda game that was like darksiders rather than the other way around.

Just writing about the game makes me wanna go play some more. Which I might just do.

If this had been released a few months back I could've seen it being looked at seriously as a goty.

Matured zelda (in all senses of the word) with the loving art direction of metroid prime? Do I need to say any more?! Go buy it. Now. Sell an arm / child if need be.

You work at Vigil too? Or is it genuinely that good?

(Cause that's pretty high praise).

Guiberu

Genuinely that good.

In my opinion of course.

But then again I liked GRiN and bionic commando. So some people may not agree.

Different games entirely though, obviously.

Top Bottom