• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
A possible PC version ... :D do it do it do it. Throw it on steam and make sure it's not region locked. I was waiting for confirmation on a PC port, Now i will just wait a little bit longer, Hopefully not too long though.

itxaka

Defeatist
fuuuu

I'll post it again because it's a technical incident and I don't know if I should return the game or not, or something is wrong with my 360 (And I got the last goddamn post in the last page)

So anybody experiencing micro-stops every few seconds? It's like it stops for half a second every 2 or 4 seconds on the first part of the game, just entering the buildings.

I got the game installed, PAL version, 720p through component.

It's strange becasue I can see people up here saying that it has a steady framerate so...I don't really know.

sinnergy

itxaka said:
fuuuu

I'll post it again because it's a technical incident and I don't know if I should return the game or not, or something is wrong with my 360 (And I got the last goddamn post in the last page)

So anybody experiencing micro-stops every few seconds? It's like it stops for half a second every 2 or 4 seconds on the first part of the game, just entering the buildings.

I got the game installed, PAL version, 720p through component.

It's strange becasue I can see people up here saying that it has a steady framerate so...I don't really know.

I had unstable framerate and screentearing the whole first part ;) It got better when I made some progress.. but it must be your tv ;) I also tried every resolution even 480p and the performance remained the same.. this will be very interesting for digital foundry ;)

Anyway I hope hdn will comment on this (don't know if he will because this is kinda sensitive..)

Just a thing that popped in mind, can it be that the devs didn't had these problems because the have those 1 gig devkits?

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Sinnergy,

I posted earlier that we were addressing some of the technical issues on our return to work next week (before the game is officially released). I've been told a fix shouldn't be too major, but, I'm unsure how long the submission for patches takes to go through official channels before it's released to the public.

sinnergy

hdn said:
Sinnergy,

I posted earlier that we were addressing some of the technical issues on our return to work next week (before the game is officially released). I've been told a fix shouldn't be too major, but, I'm unsure how long the submission for patches takes to go through official channels before it's released to the public.

Thanks hdn, sorry I missed that post, thanks for the update.

Okay man! Ill just keep low and enjoy the game, and keep playing to a minimum. Not that this will be hard I have to work next week, my vacation is over :(

Looking forward to it. Anyway it's awesome that you guys post on forums and are open about this.

Thanks

Nemesis_

I've noticed that every 60fps game that I play has really bad screen tearing. Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry 4 and BioShock (With framerate unlocked) to name a few.

Are the two related? (Complete video-tech noob here).

Feindflug

Nemesis556 said:
I've noticed that every 60fps game that I play has really bad screen tearing. Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry 4 and BioShock (With framerate unlocked) to name a few.

Well first of all Darksiders and Bioshock are not 60fps games they get higher than 30fps but they're not 60fps most of the time to be considered 60fps titles, Bayonetta (360) and DMC4 (only present in the forest levels on 360) have minor tearing and the Dante's Inferno demo at least from what I've played and according to beyond3d has 0 tearing and runs at silky smooth 60fps.

And no 60fps has nothing to do with screen tearing.

hdn said:
Sinnergy,

That's some great news, thanks for the response hdn and welcome to gaf. :)

itxaka

Defeatist
sinnergy said:
I had unstable framerate and screentearing the whole first part ;) It got better when I made some progress.. but it must be your tv ;) I also tried every resolution even 480p and the performance remained the same.. this will be very interesting for digital foundry ;)

Anyway I hope hdn will comment on this (don't know if he will because this is kinda sensitive..)

Just a thing that popped in mind, can it be that the devs didn't had these problems because the have those 1 gig devkits?

Well fuck me sideways, as soon as I posted I tried rebooting the console just in case and it's working with no problems now. Stupid 360.

Liking the game more and more as I play, graphics aren't incredibly awesome but the controls are good and the gameplay is pretty great.

Only thing I don't like is how you don't keep the dash + attack...it was sooo good at the start of the game, I hope I can get it soon.

hdn said:
One of our points to discuss (other than DLC) is a PC version. Originally we had one planned, then we changed our minds, then it came back, and then went again. As there's been a lot of people asking for a PC version, we need to confer with THQ if a PC would be beneficial to put out there.
Hopefully THQ aren't dicks about it, I'd love a PC port especially after all hearing about all this screen tearing, un-steady framerate, and jaggies business on both consoles. Oh, and Bayonetta not getting a PC port kind of makes me turn to you guys for my 'action-adventure game on PC' fix.

Gah why wont this game hurry up an come out :/ Ive got £60 in gift vouchers but its not out till Friday and by the time I finish work they will be closed :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nemesis556 said:

Dante's Inferno has screen-tearing? I didn't notice any in the PS3 demo?

jay

Sorry to ask since it must've been covered but the PS3 version seems like the one to get, yeah?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Opus Angelorum said:
None present on the Xbox 360 demo either.
SolidSnakex said:
Neither version have screen tearing. They're both locked solid at 60fps.
mmm, thought so. I haven't played the 360 version, so I couldn't say either way.

RS4-

The kind of "scenes" I'm talking about are minor.

Things like rooms being sealed off: -watching said rooms get closed then enemies coming in through portals.

It'd be something like playing Street Fighter IV and sitting through the prefight scene every single time.

Like I said, nothing major. Just a slight annoyance.

Lyonaz

Just finished the game. A little over 18 hours total.

Great game, although the ending was a bit abrupt and short it did get me excited for a possible sequel.:D

-Edit- Apparently playtime was a bit longer :p

Dave1988

Lyonaz said:

Great game, although the ending was a bit abrupt and short it did get me excited for a possible sequel.:D

Is there anything to do after you finish the game?

Canova

Banned
Lyonaz said:

Did you unlock new difficulty levels? how many difficulty levels are there?

Lyonaz

canova said:
Did you unlock new difficulty levels? how many difficulty levels are there?

There is only 3 difficulty levels. Easy, Normal and Apocalyptic, which are available at the start.
So if you want to do a platinum/full achievement run I suggest starting on Apocalyptic and just do and get everything.

RBH

ioomqu.jpg

Get a $10 gift card when you buy either Bayonetta or Darksiders at Toys R Us (no Rewards membership required), or get a $40 gift card when you buy both Bayonetta AND Darksiders at Toys R Us (Rewards membership required).

It's free to sign up for the Rewards program, and you can print out your membership card too, I believe:

http://rewardsrus.toysrus.com/

Deal ends January 7th.

RBH said:
ioomqu.jpg

Get a $10 gift card when you buy either Bayonetta or Darksiders at Toys R Us (no Rewards membership required), or get a $40 gift card when you buy both Bayonetta AND Darksiders at Toys R Us (Rewards membership required).

It's free to sign up for the Rewards program, and you can print out your membership card too, I believe:

http://rewardsrus.toysrus.com/

Deal ends January 7th.
That's a damn good deal, too bad I don't really have any Toys R Us's around me.

Canova

Banned
Lyonaz said:
There is only 3 difficulty levels. Easy, Normal and Apocalyptic, which are available at the start.
So if you want to do a platinum/full achievement run I suggest starting on Apocalyptic and just do and get everything.

so there's no unlockable?

EzLink

Banned
So I know this game has zelda esque dungeons, but does it have any towns and interesting NPC sidequests/interactions? Those are my favorite aspects of Zelda

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Expect a large chunk of reviews coming next week.

Eurogamer & WonderWallWeb will both be going live tomorrow. Due to the break/embargoes going on, others will probably be dropping throughout the week too.

DrPirate

Banned
hdn said:
Wassup all,

I'm from the Darksiders dev team. Great thread, discussions and points. I'm a NeoGaf virgin, so be gentle.

I know there's been talk about technical issues on Darksiders and we plan to address them next week (as soon as we return to the office). Other than that, I'm liking the reaction to the game thus far. Can't wait to hear more of the "user reviews" next week.

zelda styled game in a mature setting with a combat system that doesn't suck balls like zelda (actually I love how similar it is to DMC3). No boring towns, NPC's or any crap like that. You removed everything I hate about that series and emphasized everything I loved.

I hate Legend of Zelda games, but I love this. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou.

EzLink said:
So I know this game has zelda esque dungeons, but does it have any towns and interesting NPC sidequests/interactions? Those are my favorite aspects of Zelda

People seriously found those interesting....... o_O

seriously.

Wallach

hdn said:
Sinnergy,

Certification for a patch at this time of year actually might not be too bad. Maybe 3-7 days.

mjc

Widge said:
Because it made the world more like a world, rather than some arena where a game is set.

When all of humanity is wiped out there isn't a whole lot of options.

Kosma

Banned
This being THQ I still have some hope for a PC version, hopefully not the Saints Row 2 kind. Saw it at my mates on his 360 and the game looked really cool.

Odinson

robot said:
If anyones thinking of picking this up along w/ Bayonetta next week, both games work w/ Toys R Us B1G1 50% promo this week (as preorders on tru.com).

Bought. Thanks for the heads up! I'll move my GS pre-order to Tatsunoko vs Cap.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday!
I know this isn't exactly the prettiest game around, but it will be the first game I truly sink my teeth into on the new HDTV I picked up today! :D

Amir0x said:
Thanks. I've got my pre-order in at Amazon for the 360. I thought if I was going to get the game, might as well get Darksider's Avatar armor heh.

But I thought you said it simply looks like an upscaled PS2 game, and that Primal looks way better? Now we've settled on "nothing like you would expect from a 2010 game"? Well, maybe I'll settle on it looking like something I'd expect from a 2009 game.

I love the way people can completely forget what a PS2 game looks like when put in the shadow of next-generation titles. It's so bizarre. There is no possible way anybody can seriously try to argue Primal looks better than this game, but here we are.

thisisneogaf.gif

:lol i remember a gaffer saying mgs4 could be done on the ps2

DieH@rd

Banned
hdn, where are you digging up those sites? :D

Im waiting to hear what will Gspot, Gtrailers, Eurogamer & Edge have to say.

Corto

Ok.. Announcement of posting a review! This is getting crazy... They should do a countdown site in flash for that. :D

You lucky bastards with your early copies! I'm just here salivating to play this game.

Firestorm

Darksiders seems to be $59.99 in Canada. $10 off most games' MSRP. Somehow THQ pulled together the budget to put it as the image on every TV on the first page of the electronics retailers' flyers. Also a Trade 3 Get it Free promo at both Future Shop and EB Games. Not to mention the 7 Day Gaming Guarantee (return within 7 days even if open and played as long as you pre-order) at EB along with all the pre-order bonuses.

Not half-bad I think.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Eurogamer - 8/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/darksiders-review

It's the puzzle and exploration side of Darksiders that continually elevate it, however - in the exciting secret rooms that confer souls, maps, artefacts and components of the elusive Abyssal Armour; in the elaborate, dungeon-wide puzzles that draw from every extremity of your growing inventory of tools; and above all in the growing sense that if you're missing something then it must be right in front of you, and not something obtuse that you will resent when you eventually discover it.

The only slight criticism is that it's difficult to keep track of areas that you will need to return to with a new tool, and once the game is over your inability to quickly identify areas with secrets still to reveal may put you off the job of revisiting them for remaining treats - something that feels like a letdown in light of Arkham Asylum in particular.

Still, while on the surface of it Darksiders feels like a game with a lot of good ideas but only a few of its own, where even a brief flying section on an angelic mount owes rather a lot to Panzer Dragoon, overall the silly old story and wonderful art style give terrific heft to the universe, and the clockwork of the puzzles and game systems are precision-engineered in a manner that you come to trust implicitly. It may be a game of betrayal and redemption, but you won't feel hard done by if you choose to begin 2010 in its company.

Top Bottom