• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

"Review embargo is set for scores 8.0 and over until Dec 31. Scores below 8.0 will be held until Jan 5."

I guess this explains why not all the reviews are in.

Amir0x

Banned
God I wish publishers would stop making such shitty stipulations on what reviews can and cannot come out. It's retarded. This game can apparently stand on its own merits, now everyone has every right to look down on the reviews coming out early.

MacBosse

Neuromancer said:
"Review embargo is set for scores 8.0 and over until Dec 31. Scores below 8.0 will be held until Jan 5."

Wait wait wait ... where is this information from?

SamBishop

Banned
Caspel said:
Not to toot Sam's own horn, but this is from his profile.

Home Page:
http://www.totalplaystation.com

I've also heard through the THQ grapevine that he freelances for IGN too.

IGN Profile of Sam

Naw, toot away, man, thanks.

I really don't like pimping my site unless it's relevant, but yeah, I do stuff for IGN, as well as a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes stuff (manuals, pre-evaluations of early code to help 'em with suggestions on how they could fix stuff up, reviewer's guides, strategy guides, etc. etc.). I've been kicking around for about 13 years now, so my name shows up on stuff from Ziff mags to Gamers.com (to Gamers.com when owned by ziff) to gaming PR to Future mags to... you get the idea.

TPS is my baby, though, and it's been around in the industry for as long as I have. Sorry for the derail, review coming tonight.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MacBosse said:
Wait wait wait ... where is this information from?

via Caspel, in this thread, who did the GameZone review.

It seems that most of the big sites had last week off, so it seems like even the 8.0+ scores won't be coming in until Monday at the earliest.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Victrix said:
http://www.justin.tv/eyes_cube

Pretty good quality stream up

Not watching because I don't want to be spoiled, but if you're curious :p

just watched 30 min or so of this stream..I dunno.

it look indeed like mature up Zelda , but with upgrades , Kick-ass attacks ,it has same kind of the handy basic fighting system and boy there are many puzzles
HOLY SHIT there are PORTALS too
it look cool.

thing is WW and TP turned me off of Zelda games completely , so I dunno if I want this "western" Zelda experience , maybe it is what I really need now , hell I am not sure.

will wait for other Reviews and hand-on impressions in this thread .

sinnergy

Guiberu said:
Couple of things.

Playing on the 360 I can safely say the tearing is hardly noticable. Especially during the awesome combat.

The game is fantastic overall. Graphically its much better than people are making out. Beautiful little details everywhere and a real "loved" feeling to all the environments. This isn't something that's just been smushed together and put on shelves. It feels almost metroid prime levels in terms of art direction and care.

Characters are wonderful and very likeable, even large scottish fellows :p

The comparisons to zelda are well deserved. But the aspects aren't just copied, they're expanded upon and given a new lease of life. In actual fact I would quite happily play a zelda game that was like darksiders rather than the other way around.

Just writing about the game makes me wanna go play some more. Which I might just do.

If this had been released a few months back I could've seen it being looked at seriously as a goty.

Matured zelda (in all senses of the word) with the loving art direction of metroid prime? Do I need to say any more?! Go buy it. Now. Sell an arm / child if need be.

I have considerably screentearing here (x360), imo it's pretty bad.. it's worse than Uncharted 1 and Mass Effect imo. It screentears pretty much the whole time.

The game is awesome, I hope the fix this or I am gonna return it (with loss) and get the PS3 version..

I feel pretty dumb for not getting the PS3 version..

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Die H@rd,

to be honest, all the competitions are set up by THQ and the individual outlets/sites etc, not the developer, so, I haven't got an answer to that, sorry. Usually they're unique to the distributor and if it's really popular, they may manufacture more if there's a high demand later down the line.

DieH@rd

Banned
hdn said:
Die H@rd,

to be honest, all the competitions are set up by THQ and the individual outlets/sites etc, not the developer, so, I haven't got an answer to that, sorry. Usually they're unique to the distributor and if it's really popular, they may manufacture more if there's a high demand later down the line.

Ok thanks.

Lyonaz

So hdn, how likely is a Battle Chasers game?:D

When a dungeon is completed is there a way to return to it, in the second dungeon I didn't find the Hoardseeker so I'm wondering if I missed treasures, specifically those Abyssal Armor Pieces. Or are they lost forever?

Guiberu

sinnergy said:
I have considerably screentearing here (x360), imo it's pretty bad.. it's worse than Uncharted 1 and Mass Effect imo. It screentears pretty much the whole time.

The game is awesome, I hope the fix this or I am gonna return it (with loss) and get the PS3 version..

I feel pretty dumb for not getting the PS3 version..

First of all....Wow...

That almost read like "I feel pretty dumb for not getting the PS3 (Playstation 3) Entertainment System (Sony) version!"....if you know what I mean :lol

Secondly...The tearing is no where near that found on Mass Effect.

The only time I ever stopped and said "huh" at the tearing was the first time you walk into the crossroads. Oddly - it didn't happen during repeated visits.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Lyonaz said:
So hdn, how likely is a Battle Chasers game?:D

When a dungeon is completed is there a way to return to it, in the second dungeon I didn't find the Hoardseeker so I'm wondering if I missed treasures, specifically those Abyssal Armor Pieces. Or are they lost forever?

I know a lot of people don't believe this, but Joe still loves Battle Chasers and at some point down the line he wants to return to it, but for now, his focus is just what we're doing at Vigil Games.

You can return to any of the dungeons as much as you want.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Neuromancer said:

It's new years weekend...

Lyonaz

hdn said:
I know a lot of people don't believe this, but Joe still loves Battle Chasers and at some point down the line he wants to return to it, but for now, his focus is just what we're doing at Vigil Games.

You can return to any of the dungeons as much as you want.

Ah nice, thanks.

theMrCravens said:
So from the impressions I've read...

this is more of a good rental, right ?
Well that's at least what I got from reading this thread. Certainly buying Bayonetta and renting this. With possible provision of pc version.

Tokubetsu

theMrCravens said:
So from the impressions I've read...

this is more of a good rental, right ?

Buy it or baby jesus will send you to hell. Anywho, anyone know how Release Date Delivery works? IT still hasn't shipped on yet but amazon says delivery estimate is still the 5th. (I've got amazon prime).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wait, has there been any word on a PC version?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ah, okay. fair enough.

I wish I had the cash on me to buy this, but as it stands, there's just too much coming out in the coming weeks to justify it.

I might be able to pick it up in a week or two, but it's all up in the air at this point.

Feindflug

Guiberu said:
First of all....Wow...

That almost read like "I feel pretty dumb for not getting the PS3 (Playstation 3) Entertainment System (Sony) version!"....if you know what I mean :lol

The only time I ever stopped and said "huh" at the tearing was the first time you walk into the crossroads. Oddly - it didn't happen during repeated visits.

WTF? The game has maybe the worst tearing I've seen this gen - yes worse than Mass Effect, Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood and Battlefield: BC - especially if you're in smaller/closed areas where the frame-rate goes higher the things get even worse...besides the tearing the game hovers between 30 & 60fps which can get really annoying and tiring for the eyes.

The 360 version needs a v-sync option because the game looks awesome and it's a shame that it has such technical issues...hopefully the patch will come soon. :)

Feindflug said:
WTF? The game has maybe the worst tearing I've seen this gen - yes worse than Mass Effect, Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood and Battlefield: BC - especially if you're in smaller/closed areas where the frame-rate goes higher the things get even worse...besides the tearing the game hovers between 30 & 60fps which can get really annoying and tiring for the eyes.

The 360 version needs a v-sync option because the game looks awesome and it's a shame that it has such technical issues...hopefully the patch will come soon. :)

maybe its your TV!

mjc

In regards to a lack of reviews...it is smack dab after New Years. A flood of them will show up on Monday, I reckon.

How much does story play into this game and are there any decisons to be made or multiple endings? Are there many friendly npcs? How much customization is there beyond just unlocking abilities linerarly.

I'm just wondering if Darksiders is more Diablo 2 or God of War.

RS4-

The screen tearing is very obvious and in your face.

If you get th chance, buy the empty uhh vials and health refills, I think each vendor only has one vial for sale. You'll need it in the final area because things get ridiculous on Apocalyptic.

Any word on a patch that let's you skip those mini cutscenes before bosses or events, some last for a few seconds, others feel like an eternity.
Die during boss fight, reload, sit through talking or portal stuff, etc.

PSGames

Second said:
Call me crazy, but today is the first day I've heard about the game. And I'm in love already.
I'm still waiting for more impressions before I'll plunge.

Great thread, will keep an eye on it.

This is exactly what I came to post. Game looks great! And kudos to the Original Poster! THIS is how you create an Official Thread! The Bayonetta thread is a Tragedy in comparison.

bdouble

MarshallVaako said:
How much does story play into this game and are there any decisons to be made or multiple endings? Are there many friendly npcs? How much customization is there beyond just unlocking abilities linerarly.

More Zelda/Metroid (items, platforming and structure) with a dash of GoW combat.

pubba

I was so happy to see this game yesterday in the local mall here, but when I picked up the case the blurb on the back was cut and pasted from another game.

Damn pirates.. I have to wait till the 8th to get a legit copy.

KevinCow

Banned
MarshallVaako said:

It's not much like Diablo at all. If you're looking for an RPG, you're looking in the wrong place.

It's Zelda with a God of War/Devil May Cry combat system. There are some friendlies, but not many. Customization is pretty much limited to mild RPG elements (getting experience by killing enemies and using it to buy new moves and weapons and upgrade old ones, like what you'd find in GoW or DMC) and equipping your weapons with bonuses. Major upgrades such as new weapons are found at specific points throughout the game, and health and magic capacity are increased by exploring and finding upgrades.

If you've played a Zelda or Metroid game, the setup should be pretty familiar. If you haven't played a Zelda or Metroid game, then go play a Zelda or Metroid game.

RS4- said:
Any word on a patch that let's you skip those mini cutscenes before bosses or events, some last for a few seconds, others feel like an eternity.
Die during boss fight, reload, sit through talking or portal stuff, etc.

The game's not even supposed to be out yet, so no, there hasn't been any word on a patch.

Unskippable cutscenes is disappointing, though.

TheFallen

MarshallVaako said:

What? :lol Not like that at all. This is more like Zelda meets GoW like the title says.

X26

Banned
Neuromancer said:

this industry is such a joke sometimes :lol

hdn said:
One of our points to discuss (other than DLC) is a PC version. Originally we had one planned, then we changed our minds, then it came back, and then went again. As there's been a lot of people asking for a PC version, we need to confer with THQ if a PC would be beneficial to put out there.

Darksiders should run fine on an SDTV, as we had specific test setups for that version when the game when through test and into submission. I've also played it on a 480p I have at home and it run fine.

Good.
Looking.
Out.

This makes me smile. My dad has been looking foreward to this, but he only has an SDTV. I like that somebody actually kinda gives a shit still about the SDTV crowd that is still fairly large in the world

Guiberu

Uhhhhh the cutscenes are skippable. You press a or b. I had to fight tiamat a couple of times and skipped right through her "this will end badly for you horseman!" Speech each time....

Seems like there's a lot of "oh em gee da free sixty has a minor technical issue!? imma totally get da sony playstation free version then, and blow said minor technical issue out of proportions to reinforce my sony cool points!"

The tearing is not bad unless you want to make something of it. The same way in which people decided the game was ugly before paying attention to anything they've seen just to justify the decision they'd made prior to seeing / playing it.

Its a (bloody) good adventure game on the 360 with awesome graphics, combat and gameplay. Saying otherwise will not make girls like you, but I'm sure Sony will send you a christmas card saying "thanks".

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Guiberu said:
First of all....Wow...

Guiberu said:
Uhhhhh the cutscenes are skippable. You press a or b. I had to fight tiamat a couple of times and skipped right through her "this will end badly for you horseman!" Speech each time....

Seems like there's a lot of "oh em gee da free sixty has a minor technical issue!? imma totally get da sony playstation free version then, and blow said minor technical issue out of proportions to reinforce my sony cool points!"

The tearing is not bad unless you want to make something of it. The same way in which people decided the game was ugly before paying attention to anything they've seen just to justify the decision they'd made prior to seeing / playing it.

Its a (bloody) good adventure game on the 360 with awesome graphics, combat and gameplay. Saying otherwise will not make girls like you, but I'm sure Sony will send you a christmas card saying "thanks".

so one guy said he "hate tearing " and "might " get the PS3 version and you went completely bat shit insane over it with really crazy conspiracy theory about Sony funded his agenda and posts , Holy shit dude.

Enigma777

Banned
Guiberu said:

:lol :lol :lol

Why do you care about which version people get? Is M$ going to cut your bonus or something?

Grow up!

Guiberu said:

I enjoy your posts. Insightful and inspiring, thankyou.

Salazar

Guiberu said:
Its a (bloody) good adventure game on the 360 with awesome graphics, combat and gameplay. Saying otherwise will not make girls like you

You sound like a man who's tried it. Hell of a line.

sinnergy

WTF dude.. relax

I play my X360 more than my other systems.. but I like to play the best version a game. I went with the X360 version because I didn't get a definitive answer.. I went with my gut feeling and I regret it. I have no agenda, I get most of the multiplatform games on X360.

It's to bad that hdn hasn't commented on this technical issue on X360, and if they can fix this in the future. If not I will swap this for the PS3 version (either way these guys get my money) because to me the screentearing is pretty bad, one of the worst i have seen this generation. And I have played lots of games, maybe I am more sensitive about it..who knows..

It's also not my tv, I have a year old Panasonic Plasma.

This issue is separated from gameplay, we all know the games is good ;) And it gets a little less in the area I am now.

itxaka

Defeatist
So anybody experiencing micro-stops every few seconds? It's like it stops for half a second every 2 or 4 seconds on the first part of the game, just entering the buildings.

I got the game installed, PAL version, 720p through component.

It's strange becasue I can se people up here saying that it has a steady framerate so...I don't really know.

Top Bottom