• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordy

Banned
Dawg,

You gotta give it to Nintendo to come up with unique controllers. They gave us the N64, Gamecube, the fucking WII and Wii U controllers. If this is accurate then I trust them...but I'm not going to lie, this looks like one of the most uncomfortable controllers I've ever seen from them. I can't wrap my head around how it'll feel. It looks like a fake control that I made in Tech ED or something and judging the picture, it feels as hard as Nas's Ether track.

lets hope interesting also equates to fun/easy to use, as well. Not only that, but this looks expensive, so if it's the controller, woof. Gamepad all over again. If this is the handheld, I hope it has good battery life and that games aren't a struggle to manage the controls.

if anything, i could be happy if those... things are microswitched "dpads" like the ones from the neogeo.

funny-cat-laughing-so-hard-6722.jpg
Seriously-what?

GavinGT

Banned
So I guess the controller itself would be the handheld portion of the NX, and then it can also plug into the NX console for home play?

d00d3n

The lack of physical buttons other than two shoulder buttons is extremely worrying. I really hoped that Nintendo's "gimmick" for NX would be to try and build a modern online infrastructure, unify mobile and non-mobile platforms and deliver on games, but I guess we will get a dysfunctional two button controller with annoying animated UI instead.

This is a fake created by someone who believes the illustrations in patent filings are in any way indicative of the actual design of the product. LOL.

also

Banned
These fakes and rumors are only going to get more and more crazy as time goes on. Come on, Nintendo, unveil the real thing already!

i'd like to believe this is false because it's the worst thing i've ever seen -- but that patent tho.... surely nintendo can't be this fucking stupid? right???

gamepadproto.jpg

That was a prototype, so the picture in Destructoid could be a prototype as well

It's also something literally no one outside of Nintendo's hardware design team in Japan and the highest of upper management would have ever seen before that interview.

We can play with "could"s, faulty comparisons, and non-sequiturs all night, but come on. It's fake.

Er, so if this does turn out to be real, why does it doom the NX? Touch screen controls with haptic feedback would feel immediately familiar to a group Nintendo is hoping to connect with, no?

Please be fake.

Controllers are already getting expensive this gen (PS4 due to touchpad and light, Xbox elite, etc). This will cost like $100.

maxcriden

Kinda dumb to make the entire thing a touchscreen and then kill it with analog sticks.

Yeah a complete touchscreen is great, but not good enough so here are some sticks just in case.

The unused part of the screen of the sides of the sticks make this look totally amateurish.

I can feel my hands cramping already.

I mean tbf this is exactly what the patent proposed. But as many have said, patents do not typically directly translate to a 1:1 description of a product.

also, it's not 1:1 with the patent

the patent had
- wide shoulder buttons
- pentagon "analogs"
- handles

this thing has
- scolling shoulder buttons
- round "analogs"
- no handles

Akua

Banned
based on my experience with photoshop, I can clearly tell this is fake just by looking at the pixels surrounding the analog sticks

maxcriden

Nintendo surely wouldn't make another controller that costs so much to replace right?

I agree. I think that is pretty unlikely. They could use a design like this for a handheld. But I think that's not terribly likely either, necessarily, because then how will any kind of VC be compatible?

Also, paging # TheMoon to school us, wisely, on how unlikely an essentially physically buttonless controller or handheld is.

Kathian

Banned
I do want to know what on earth those Nipples are and how they work. Must be something to make them think it can replace a DPad.

GavinGT

Banned
Wouldn't the prototype be bigger than the real thing? You'd expect it to be really bulky since it would contain all sorts of stuff that hasn't been miniaturized yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom