• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did You Go To Prom?

DonShula

Yes. Forgot most of it. Have a hard time remembering which dance was which between years and seasons.

Like much of high school social life, it ceases to matter almost immediately after it's over.

mhayes86

Yeah. My friends and I all had girlfriends during our senior year of high school and took them. Overall, it was kind of fun. My girlfriend and I continued to date for another two years afterwards.

didn't go because at that point i didn't give a shit about anything related to high school and just wanted it to be that summer already

don't really regret it

Clockwork5

I took two girls to my senior prom. We got in a wreck on the way to dinner and my friend who was driving didn't want to go anymore, understandable since he totaled his car. So I used my moms car and took my date and his as well.

Ended up having a decent time, all things considered.

I went stag. It was hot and uncomfortable; there wasn't any music I liked, and I didn't have anyone to dance with (besides a small group of classmates, but I'm not much of a dancer regardless). At least I arrived in a Camaro.

draetenth

No, struck me as a waste of time. Didn't go to my graduation ceremony either (HS or College), also viewed as a waste of time. I have no regrets.

Aizo

Banned
I went both years. Had a great time at both before, during, and after. I think I had the stereotypical prom.

The music was terrible. I only requested 80s music (graduated in 2010).

GamerJM

Banned
No. I don't know anything about it. I had like one close friend in HS and I convinced her not to go by telling her it'd probably be lame. I do know that a guy I knew that no one really cared about got voted as prom king because one of my (not close friends) did a YouTube rap campaign for him so people decided they might as well vote for him since they didn't really care about the title of prom king.

Okamid3n

I went to my first one because classmates guilted me into it, it was dumb. We were like 25 people in my last year since it's the worst school in the city and everyone drops out before the end. Most of those people weren't even graduating anyway, since they failed too many classes.

I didn't pay anything, someone let me borrow a suit, which was ugly. I went with two guy friends who were also date-less.

It was forgettable, not much happened except a really awkward dance off competition which I got forced into by a teacher.

Don't get why folks would skip it. You really only get 1 prom after growing up with these folks. Drink, dance, fuck, have a little fun.

I don't drink and there were no drinks anyway. Strike 1.
I hate dancing and that was the worst part of the night. Strike 2.
Fuck? lol not happening, strike 3.

It's not hard to understand why people would skip it, dude.

I didn't go to my next two proms.

I did not, I had a weird finish to my highschool career, I did go to homecoming though, It's really what you make of it, who you go with, and how open you are to the whole experience

dpunk3

Junior prom I skipped, stayed home with my friend playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

Senior I had graduated before prom came up, so I couldn't have gone if I wanted to.

I went. Big mistake

Girl stood me up to go shopping and bang some other guy, didn't even bother to tell me she wasn't going. Her mom told me when I got there to pick her up and apologized. Had a shitty time, thankfully the after party was a blast.

Fuck high school.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Went to my senior prom, and then an ex's senior prom 2 years later. My senior prom was pretty fun, the DJ played some good NYC style hard house (this was 1999) and I had a cute thicc brunette date and we tore up the dancefloor. Ex's prom wasn't that fun because she was having trouble dealing with the long distance thing (I was home from college) and I didn't really know her friends and felt much more out of place. And the music sucked more.

belushy

Banned
No but I went to 8th grade formal and all that happened was a weird walking circle where everyone just starting walking all dressed up around the basketball court. Was fucking weird.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sadly, no. Not just cause I didn't have a date or was too socially inept to get a date, but also I couldn't pay the ridiculous fees to attend ($150. No way in hell my douchebag of a dad would bother paying for that).

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Twice, stayed less than an hour both times. Then went to some condo on the lake to drink tequila. It was alright. My senior year date was an amazing person, really lucked out there.

It wasn't bad, so far as high school goes

kvothe

I went and was prom king. Don’t really remember much of the night, though. Just the dance with the prom queen. I’m a terrible dancer but we did some Latin dancing (she was Latina) and it felt cool but I’m sure it looked stupid.

Risible

Went to my junior and senior prom. Went to my wife's junior and senior prom. Had a great time at all of them and even more at the after parties.

Yeah, I'm that cool.

Went to my senior prom with a girl that I had a huge crush on. She went on to become my best and oldest friend. Then I went to her prom the next year, but we left after an hour because it was lame.

JCHandsom

Nah, wasn't interested in dating during high school, so I didn't feel the need to go to prom.

Did go to one dance with my sister's friend (Sadie Hawkins) and that was alright.

I look back on my high school life and all the things I did, friends I had, and I don't regret not going to prom. Probably would have been fun, but then again just chilling at home was fun for me.

Abhor

I didn't attend mine. By that point I learned that I get little enjoyment out of big social gatherings. I'd rather read a book, honestly. Despite several friends trying to push me to go, but that kind peer-pressure fails to move me. I have yet to regret the decision or ever think about it again until now.

Beartruck

Went with a friend to senior, started dating summer after, got married after college. If we didn't go together I'd probably be single right now.

I went. I've had fun at about one school dance and it wasn't prom, but for the most part I've found school dances to be pretty unenjoyable. I don't regret going though.

I went to my Junior and Senior proms. They were both pretty forgettable.

Hanging out with friends all night afterwards was the shit though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I didn't go to any school activities outside of school hours except spending one year on the track team.

Gaardus

Being at social events too long leaves me with an overwhelming sense of not belonging. Combine that with being gay (and, uh, single) at a Catholic high school, and that's a pretty solid "no." Solid enough that I still haven't bothered to figure out what prom even IS beyond "that social event for straight people".

I skipped my junior prom and went on a date with twins (no I didn't smash but yes there was some base running)... I still don't know how I managed that to this day.

Prom? I didn't even attend my graduation. The less I associated with that shitty school in central Florida the better.

I grew up in California and my family moved to Florida my sophomore year... I literally did not learn a single thing in my entire time there, the schools were so far behind. The experience in general was awful... but hey, go local sports ball team amirite!?

hydruxo

I went junior year. Didn't bother senior year but went to the parties afterwards. It's expensive and overrated tbh.

Not

Banned
Nope. My high school didn't allow anyone already graduated from high school, so my girlfriend couldn't go. I didn't really care.

Whoa I'm glad my school didn't have this rule. I think there couldn't be larger than a two year age gap or something.

Bakercat

Nope, sat at home and played video games lol. I wasn't about to pay a bunch of money to go and buy clothes and shit. Waste of my time and money it would have been.

Sure did. One of those, seemed like one of those rite of passage things.

But it was just a fun night with friends, I'm sure if most decided to do something else, I'd be down with that as well.

Top Bottom