• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did You Go To Prom?

Yes, I went to three. All were a lot of fun, after parties included. I bought my tux before hand, found a place that was selling them (custom fitted) for $20 more than just renting them. I sure saved a ton of money, and got a lot of mileage out of that thing.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah it was alright, left halfway through to go to the hotel bar (not US) got drunk and took my girlfriend at the time home to fuck before we could make it to the afterparty. In retrospect I wish I had gone to the afterparty.

pbayne

Yep, well its a "formal" here in the uk. but i think its basically the same. Drank a lot and forgot most of it. Heard it was a great night out lol.

FaintDeftone

Nope. No girls liked me in high school so I just stayed home. Didn’t bother me too much but I can’t say Inwasnt jealous of the people who did get to go.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
No, crush of 3 years shot me down, felt destroyed. Didn't go the next year either. I was addicted to wallowing in my self-pity.

Kthulhu

Being the stereotypical nerdy white boy that I was, I had no rythem, no dance skills, and no date. So no, I didn't go. Also most of my friends were underclassmen so they weren't going either.

AlexBasch

Nope. Never had friends at school, so why bother.

Also, I despise and hate any second I spent in my school life, so I wasn't going to love it or go to a party to "celebrate".

I went to four, I think. Sophomore year with a senior friend. Then my junior and senior years with my now-wife, then her senior year (she was a year below me in school).

Wife and I were only friends back then. I had actually asked her out my senior year, and she said no. Then we wound up going to prom together. I decided I was going to go the "get her jealous" route, and spent most of the prom dancing with one of her friends. I wanted to get across that if she didn't want to date, I was gonna move on, not just keep waiting. It worked great. Not that she got super pissed or anything that dramatic. But, I think she definitely got it and decided she did want to be with me. We've been married for 11 years now. So, it worked!

I went with a senior when I was a junior, and in senior year I convinced my girlfriend at the time to just get a hotel with me lol. Looking back it was a dick move to not go with her, but I didn't want to go again lol

Seirith

No, my boyfriend was an "adult" (over 18) and was not allowed and I was not going to go without him. Didn't really care that I missed it, it was way to much drama for me.

TAD

Proms are lot more light-hearted in England

Yes, I went. It was a fun bookend on school life.
Yeah I dunno how there's so much drama in America, our year 13 prom was great because you're almost all old enough to drink and the teachers pretty much see you all as adults.

Media

No, my boyfriend was an "adult" (over 18) and was not allowed and I was not going to go without him. Didn't really care that I missed it, it was way to much drama for me.

My school was pissed I took my boyriend-now-husband to my senior prom. He was 23 and I was 17 lmao

No, I couldn't care less about it.

Overall, I dislike any event that has to do with stuff like that or instances where people is awarded for something.

In fact, I was an excellent student and in high school I won several "best student" awards and I never went to any of them.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, although I can't deny at that age we tend to act like a rebel, but again it wasn't because of that but a genuine lack of interest. In fact until this day, any similar "ceremony" just make me feel like I have to go to church on a sunday morning, after being partying all saturday. Just thinking about it makes me feel like a miserable piece of shit.

Of course, my parents and teachers always ended being perplexed at my decision and a lot of times they gave me the "you better go or face the consequences!!!!". As I said, I never went to any of them and well, I faced no consequences, of course.

Just the once. Was going to skip senior prom as I did junior prom but a friend asked me to go with her so I did. Had a lot of fun and it's a good memory for me.

gelf

It wasn't called a prom because I'm British but I didn't go to either leavers do. No regrets as I don't excel in those situations at the best of times and I was hardly Mr popular at school anyway.

Nope. I played UT2k4 with my friends instead. Had no date and was already socially awkward, wasn't my time to start breaking out of my shell.

Shiv47

Didn't go to a single dance in high school due to extreme shyness and social awkwardness. Plus I went to an all boys school, so I hardly knew any girls anyway. Awful four years. Thankfully college was much better.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Went to my senior prom on a dare with a girl who I was quite okay being just friends with. We hit it off, dated for the next 4.5 years which - while others seem to make fun - was awesome in college. Had a best friend to do every thing with and it was always fun/never lonely.

We broke up soon after college on good terms. Zero regrets.

Happily married to a different woman now many years later.

Nope didnt go, but that's because of State Championship Track&Field. Coach gave a choice though. I think I made the right one though since I came back with a gold and bronze medal. More value than a night of booze and booty imo.

Acorn

Nope didnt go, but that's because of State Championship Track&Field. Coach gave a choice though. I think I made the right one though since I came back with a gold and bronze medal. More value than a night of booze and booty imo.
Depends on the booty 😉

I didn't have a good run in high school socially so going to prom would have been one last pie in the face for me. I don't regret not going specifically because going wouldn't have solved the overall problem.

Top Bottom