• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ HERO 2 |OT| Bobby Says Knock You Out

TheHakku

Messi said:
What was going on with the crashing in the giant bomb quicklook? does it crash for you guys.
It was a glitch at launch, where if your friends list was completely full, it would crash after a song ended. It's trying to tell you that you have too many friends!

If you're a member, check out the latest Whiskey Media Happy Hour. They play a little bit of it, without crashing, and also, without one friend from the friend list. Aw.

Tabs

I need more friends to compare scores against. I think only Pepperjack has it on my list.
Gamertag: Trav

Just say DJ hero or GAF in the message.

conman said:
Seeing only 4 pages on GAF at the tail end of its first week of release... A real shame. Great game, but it looks like it's getting unjustifiably ignored.

It's funny, because there's just really not a lot to discuss. It is 10X better than the first, and there's nothing to complain about, so there goes your huge thread potential.

conman said:
Seeing only 4 pages on GAF at the tail end of its first week of release... A real shame. Great game, but it looks like it's getting unjustifiably ignored.
Well it is kind of an interesting scenario, despite being a great game (in my opinion anyway) it has a few strikes against it that maybe prevent it from getting a fair shake:

-a lot of people hate Activision and Bobby Kotick and refuse to buy it out of principle
-a lot of people are just rhythm gamed out and/or plastic peripheraled out, after all the Guitar Heros and Rock Bands
-the first game came out and was horrendously expensive; people don't forget

I think this game represents probably the closest in spirit we're probably going to get to great rhythm games of the past like Amplitude. Even if there's not much buzz on here, I think it'll end up being successful all the same.

The online is stupid broken, I had some fuck pick some of the hardest songs in the game he was on medium I was on expert, and he wins? I 5 starred firestarter against him and he didn't have to cross fade once, and he wins... so fucking stupid.

Terrordactyl said:
The online is stupid broken, I had some fuck pick some of the hardest songs in the game he was on medium I was on expert, and he wins? I 5 starred firestarter against him and he didn't have to cross fade once, and he wins... so fucking stupid.

Haven't music games always been like this? This method helps new players, no sense in an noob player playing a expert on expert. I could see how you're mad tho. Just make it clear what difficulty you want to play on expert or w/e.

I think I'm going to pick this up. I love the first DJ hero. And the the new freestyles sections seem sooo much better!! I'm kinda spoiled tho as I bought DJH1 + bundle for 20 bucks at TRU xD so 60 bucks is kinda steep lulz

Tabs

Neuromancer said:
Well it is kind of an interesting scenario, despite being a great game (in my opinion anyway) it has a few strikes against it that maybe prevent it from getting a fair shake:

-a lot of people hate Activision and Bobby Kotick and refuse to buy it out of principle
-a lot of people are just rhythm gamed out and/or plastic peripheraled out, after all the Guitar Heros and Rock Bands
-the first game came out and was horrendously expensive; people don't forget

I think this game represents probably the closest in spirit we're probably going to get to great rhythm games of the past like Amplitude. Even if there's not much buzz on here, I think it'll end up being successful all the same.
Good points. It's a shame if it's not doing well. I get the same feeling from DJ Hero 2 that I did back with the first two guitar heroes.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
conman said:
Well, what exactly is there to discuss? I think everyone that has it already discussed the improvements and it's awesome soundtrack. We can discuss DLC, but remember the terrible support the first DJ Hero got in DLC? I do. :(

I'll be keeping an eye out whether or not we can export the first DJ Hero. I think that would be the most ideal news ever.

I'mma be picking this game up later for sure (Rock Band 3 comes first <3). It looks like it's more fun than the first one.

Terrordactyl said:
Sounds like PRO FACE OFF* in Rock Band 2! :lol

Fuck you for removing, Harmonix. :|

BigBadShamoo said:
Haven't music games always been like this? This method helps new players, no sense in an noob player playing a expert on expert. I could see how you're mad tho. Just make it clear what difficulty you want to play on expert or w/e.

I think I'm going to pick this up. I love the first DJ hero. And the the new freestyles sections seem sooo much better!! I'm kinda spoiled tho as I bought DJH1 + bundle for 20 bucks at TRU xD so 60 bucks is kinda steep lulz

I wish they allowed this, the only sort of difficulty filter you can apply is by skill level (higher equal lower or any) These levels are basically like MW2s except it's supposed to show your skill, when your beating people who are clearly more skilled on expert when you are playing on medium, I don't see how thats an accurate gauge. It would be nice if they allowed you to filter X vs X but they don't. The few I have done against someone playing expert were awesome, a lot of fun and very competitive.

Of course there are certain modes where medium is at a bit of a disadvantage, such as streak, because there are many more notes to hit on expert you can build big streaks faster. But the catch is you have to be good enough to streak, I haven't lost to a medium player on streak yet though. Although if galvanize came up I'm sure I would. There are about 5-10 mixes that I can barely squeeze 3 stars out of and there's no way I can compete with a lower difficulty when they are chosen.

KaYotiX

Banned
I'll be buying it around Christmas, RB3 will last me for a Looooong time so I can wait on it. I'll prolly sell half my other games too just because I'll be too busy playing Rhythm games for the next 6 months LOL.

TheHakku

Terrordactyl said:
Yeah... pretty lame. I've only played 4 battles so far... and won every one. I was on expert, the others were both on medium and hard. Talk about tough.

Majukun said:
no daft punk this time?
i'm disappointed
Keep playing. There's a hidden bonus track locked away in empire mode until you play it....

Unless you mean as playable DJs. They were in the first game. Pick it up.

There needs to be a difficulty filter. It would make a LOT of sense. If anyone from FSG is listening, please consider putting one in.

Swag

Do they ever release an OST with the mixes from the game?

I have no intention of buying it, but the mixes would be cool to listen to

Swag

Basement Jaxx - Where's your head at mixed with Yeah Yeah Yeahs Heads will roll

OMG sounds so fucken good.

conman

Neuromancer said:
Even if there's not much buzz on here, I think it'll end up being successful all the same.
Hope so. Rock Band is fun and all, but it's great to see a real alternative to RB within the rhythm/music genre. DJH2 definitely takes me back to the unexpected exhilaration of Harmonix's PS2 titles (Amplitude, Frequency, GH1 & 2).

edbrat

DJH2 charted at 25 in launch week in the UK, not a good result obviously. Although its not explicit the undertone in the reception of this news this am was jubilant because this played to people's opinions regarding 1) Activision / Kotick antipathy and 2) "I told you the rhythm genre is dead lol" The fact that there is a committed and excellent studio behind these games and that DJH2 is, by any analysis, a cracking fun game seems to be secondary, which makes me a little sad. I only hope FSG will be allowed to carry on their excellent work but the total collapse in sales for this and GH make it unlikely, think there will unfortunately be big changes in how these games are produced. And if this affects personnel at FSG or other studios then the doomongers will have another day in the sun :(

Well I did my part and picked it up over the weekend. I'd only played the first one a little when a friend brought it over, but so far I'm really loving the game. Some of the mixes are just ridiculously good.

My wife has even started playing this one and she rarely plays anything. Going to have to look into the DLC to see what is available.

Terrordactyl said:
There is one, it's called intensity not difficulty.
Oh sorry, I meant for multiplayer matchmaking, like if I'm playing on normal I should only be paired up with other people playing normal.

edbrat said:
DJH2 charted at 25 in launch week in the UK, not a good result obviously. Although its not explicit the undertone in the reception of this news this am was jubilant because this played to people's opinions regarding 1) Activision / Kotick antipathy and 2) "I told you the rhythm genre is dead lol" The fact that there is a committed and excellent studio behind these games and that DJH2 is, by any analysis, a cracking fun game seems to be secondary, which makes me a little sad. I only hope FSG will be allowed to carry on their excellent work but the total collapse in sales for this and GH make it unlikely, think there will unfortunately be big changes in how these games are produced. And if this affects personnel at FSG or other studios then the doomongers will have another day in the sun :(
I wouldn't get too upset, this game may have a long tail and sell well during the holiday period. We'll just have to wait and see but I expect it to do just fine. After all DJ Hero 1 did well despite poor sales at launch.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Neuromancer said:
Oh sorry, I meant for multiplayer matchmaking, like if I'm playing on normal I should only be paired up with other people playing normal.
The problem with your first scenario is that the online community for DJ Hero is so minimal. I remember not being able to find online matches for a long time. See, if there's such a small pool of online players, it's convenient to be paired up with anyone who will play -any- difficulty rather than waiting for someone to play a -specific- difficulty. It just wouldn't work out in the long run and you would just get stuck in the matchmaking pool until there's another player willing to play whatever difficulty you want.

I wouldn't get too upset, this game may have a long tail and sell well during the holiday period. We'll just have to wait and see but I expect it to do just fine. After all DJ Hero 1 did well despite poor sales at launch.
Yup, after the major price drops.
yBnCQ.gif

Still, it did sell pretty good regardless of that fact!

Forgot to mention I played this at a friend's house this weekend. God, I want this game so fucking badly now. So gooooood.

Rewrite said:
The problem with your first scenario is that the online community for DJ Hero is so minimal. I remember not being able to find online matches for a long time. See, if there's such a small pool of online players, it's convenient to be paired up with anyone who will play -any- difficulty rather than waiting for someone to play a -specific- difficulty. It just wouldn't work out in the long run and you would just get stuck in the matchmaking pool until there's another player willing to play whatever difficulty you want.
There are plenty of optional filters in DJH2, such as how many mixes you want to play, what game types you're willing to play, the skill of your opponent by which I guess they mean either rank or Truskill rating, and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting. So a filter for your opponents difficulty wouldn't be that out of place and in fact would make a lot of sense, I think.

It's a pretty good system because you can try a bunch of different filters to try to get exactly the kind of match you want, but if you can't find anyone, you can always broaden the scope of your search.

methos75

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Do they ever release an OST with the mixes from the game?

I have no intention of buying it, but the mixes would be cool to listen to

There is a OST out there, I found it for download on VUZE

bedlamite

It's a torrent containing 128 kbps rips, it's a damn shame licensing issues are stopping FSG from putting out OSTs, these mixes are awesome.

Picked up 2 a few days back, i'm just gonna echo the posters here and say yes, the sequel is pretty awesome. Lots of great mashups, the gameplay's more fun now, overall it's a genuine improvement from the first game. If you liked the first game at all, show FSG some love and pick 2 up

Sai-kun

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
Basement Jaxx - Where's your head at mixed with Yeah Yeah Yeahs Heads will roll

OMG sounds so fucken good.

DUDE I just played this for the first time. :D Needs a little more Heads Will Roll and a little less Where's Your Head At, IMO, but that's because I like YYYs more. Still a kickass remix. LOVE IT.

Sai-kun

Banned
Argh! This last DJ Battle is frakkin impossible. Cleetus Cuts and smd

He never gets any lower than 90% except on one section where he can't get any higher than like 50 or 60%. INSANE. You have to get a perfect on everything, and then he'll still win that sometimes. :lol Wow.

TheHakku

Sai-kun said:
Argh! This last DJ Battle is frakkin impossible.
Yeah. Actually dropped down on hard to beat it the first time. :/ Later got it on expert by one checkpoint. Only advice I can give is to try out the Euphoria deck. Makes euphoria last twice as long, allowing you to not worry about fading a little while longer.

Sai-kun

Banned
TheHakku said:
Yeah. Actually dropped down on hard to beat it the first time. :/ Later got it on expert by one checkpoint. Only advice I can give is to try out the Euphoria deck. Makes euphoria last twice as long, allowing you to not worry about fading a little while longer.

How do I get that deck? All I've got right now are...

Hyperdeck
Multiplier
Scratch Master
Tap Master

It's so much fun to play him though. he kicks my ass but it's always so close :lol

Sai-kun said:
How do I get that deck? All I've got right now are...

Hyperdeck
Multiplier
Scratch Master
Tap Master

It's so much fun to play him though. he kicks my ass but it's always so close :lol
Have you beaten Empire mode? If not, keep playing.

Messi

Been listening to some of the soundtrack on youtube and its awesome. totally unexpected. I am going to pick up this game when I get paid :D

Its sad that this game seems to be getting ignored.

conman

Messi said:
Its sad that this game seems to be getting ignored.
Yeah. This is the first significant casualty of Activision's decision to milk the "Hero" name.

I'd love to see some DLC support down the road, but without the sales numbers, I doubt we'll see much of any. Hell, Activision's already skittish about DLC for its music games, let alone one that isn't selling well.

robot

Feel free to me add me for scores but just keep in mind im not that great and play on normal

Xbl: pepperjack

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hey guys, specifically EuroGAF:

A store is selling DJ Hero 2 with the turntable, but on top of that it has a sticker saying that it comes with the first DJ Hero, all for just €88 - a steal as it is right now, but I wanna try my luck and wait out a price drop - anyone know if this is a Euro standard? Or will it just be temporary?

Don't want to buy it now since I gonna slow down with spending the cash, not to mention buying up games that I'm not even close to playing yet, extending the backlog...

Sai-kun said:
I beat DJ Shadow's setlist, but I think I'm still missing a couple stars.
Well if you 5 star all the songs in Empire, you will get it for sure.

In other news, me not being able to spam the airhorn sample in this game has decreased by appreciation for it by roughly 25%. Bring back the airhorn sample, FSG.

Skilotonn said:
Hey guys, specifically EuroGAF:

A store is selling DJ Hero 2 with the turntable, but on top of that it has a sticker saying that it comes with the first DJ Hero, all for just €88 - a steal as it is right now, but I wanna try my luck and wait out a price drop - anyone know if this is a Euro standard? Or will it just be temporary?

It's only temporary, as the bundles were made with last years unsold stock. When it's gone, that's it.

Swag

Sai-kun said:
DUDE I just played this for the first time. :D Needs a little more Heads Will Roll and a little less Where's Your Head At, IMO, but that's because I like YYYs more. Still a kickass remix. LOVE IT.

Fucken hell, I know what you mean needs more Heads will Roll, but they really did a gj remixing this. The lack of HWR makes the parts where it comes in that much sweeter

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
shawty is like a melody in my head making me sing nananana

i almost wanna buy this game just because of that one mix

Sai-kun

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
shawty is like a melody in my head making me sing nananana

i almost wanna buy this game just because of that one mix

Dude, that mix is probably in my top 5 for this game. It's so perfect.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
dreamcastmaster said:
It's only temporary, as the bundles were made with last years unsold stock. When it's gone, that's it.

Thanks man, seems like I'll have to get the jump on this this week then.

Top Bottom