• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC chair won't speak at Dem convention following Wikileaks fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Debbie has been one of the most corrupt members of either party for decades.

It's a blight on the party as a whole they ever nominated her for the chair position.

flyover

She has been absolutely disastrous for the Dem party with regards to local and state elections.
Yeah, this is what really sucks. The party has been so consumed with national optics and getting the media to ring a death knell for the Republican party over and over for the last eight years. Meanwhile, the idiot Tea Partiers (in name or policy) have taken over my town and the ones around it, chanting their mantra of "austerity, austerity, austerity," like lowering taxes and spending will magically fix the roads and raise test scores.

megalowho

She should flat out resign at this point. She allowed her relationship with Hillary to get in the way of doing her job as head of the DNC and she hasn't been that successful at her job on the local and statewide level anyway. Stubborn and unwilling to take responsibility as well - was reported she wanted Amy Dacey, the DNC's CEO to take the fall with a written statement regarding fallout from the leak but party members involved in the discussion would not allow it.

Even as a Hillary supporter I was uncomfortable with the favoritism, the optics were always terrible and the emails will ensure the story doesn't go away anytime soon. Resignation is the best course of action to heal party unity and move forward.

It is a shame voters cannot punish this disgusting behavior by the DNC without indirectly helping to elect a white supremacist proto-fascist.

dabig2

Good. Fuck her.

She has been absolutely disastrous for the Dem party with regards to local and state elections. She should resign immediately. Her ineffectiveness has put Dems in a massive hole.

Time to bring up this hefty Politico hate piece from September 2014 again on how much she sucks so people don't think it's just due to primary salt. Again, reminder this article came out more than a month before the Red Wedding known as the 2014 midterms.
Democrats turn on Debbie Wasserman Schultz
Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz is in a behind-the-scenes struggle with the White House, congressional Democrats and Washington insiders who have lost confidence in her as both a unifying leader and reliable party spokesperson at a time when they need her most.

The perception of critics is that Wasserman Schultz spends more energy tending to her own political ambitions than helping Democrats win. This includes using meetings with DNC donors to solicit contributions for her own PAC and campaign committee, traveling to uncompetitive districts to court House colleagues for her potential leadership bid and having DNC-paid staff focus on her personal political agenda.

She’s become a liability to the DNC, and even to her own prospects, critics say.
[...]
After the election, Obama’s top political operatives — strategist David Plouffe, reelection campaign manager Jim Messina and then-DNC executive director Patrick Gaspard, now U.S. ambassador to South Africa — debated the decision of retaining her as DNC chair so intensely that there was already a replacement in mind: R.T. Rybak, the former mayor of Minneapolis and a DNC vice chairman.

But there was nervousness about the optics of Obama dropping a woman from the party leadership. Plus, the sense internally was that they had originally picked her largely to help win the women’s vote and avert problems with Jewish donors, and both had indeed happened, whatever the other problems.

The focus in Obama’s political orbit at that moment was on transforming the campaign apparatus into Organizing for America, a 501(c)4 nonprofit group led by Messina that would exist solely to back the White House agenda. The DNC got stuck with $25 million in leftover debt from the Obama campaign, while OFA started fresh and has raised $36 million of its own since, although with limited political and policy victories to brag about.

The decision to stick with Wasserman Schultz is, according to a person familiar with Obama’s thinking, part of his “benign neglect” of the DNC overall.
[...]

So much gold in that article. DWS needed to go yesterday. DNC is due for an overhaul.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I actually don't think the DNC has had a good chair since Dean--and DWS has been bad.

Not because of any stupid angry primary rivalry stuff, but because Dean was the last chair who seemed to care about the non-blue states and I believe the failure to capitalize on the seeds he planted for the 50 state strategy accelerated and worsened the shellacking Dems have taken at the state level, particularly in the south. 15 years ago the Democrats had a majority of southern governors and legislatures, some with supermajorities, even as their national/presidential vote had collapsed.

Some of this is inevitable due to partisan sorting and national politics, but no one since Dean seems to have even cared about investing in red states.

It's a pity that the scandal-du-hour daily show / twitter class has gotten so caught up in micro level details of who said what and what the latest plot twist is that they miss big patterns in politics. :(

Why is everyone here calling DWS a failure? Don't you all realize that Obama was the one that froze lobbyist money and caused the DNC to go in the red? You can't do anything without money!

Time to bring up this hefty Politico hate piece from September 2014 again on how much she sucks so people don't think it's just due to primary salt. Again, reminder this article came out more than a month before the Red Wedding known as the 2014 midterms.
Democrats turn on Debbie Wasserman Schultz

So much gold in that article. DWS needed to go yesterday. DNC is due for an overhaul.

Everybody knows Obama hates DWS and politico thinkpieces are garbage spinzones, fuck that noise.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The problem always has been the DNC not Hillary. DNC has been a shit show for a while now at the top.

Has Hillary probably been a beneficiary? Sure. To what degree is up to debate. None of this was brought on by her though.

It's the fact that the Democratic Leadership has been more about their own asses and less about a ground up campaign. As others have said it's the reason the dems are such a shit show at the state and local level in many places.

Again none of that is Hillary's fault.

This also happened cause Obama wasn't part of a huge carrier politician family or coalition. So despite being sitting President he's sorta done with politics after this year, and he doesn't have a crew that has filled the power vacuum at the top.

There really isn't any solid reasoning to not vote for Hillary that won't be defacto giving Trump a bump.

That's separate from the issues of the leaks and this stuff not being OK. Plus that's separate from the fact that even before this election cycle DSW was a net negative for the party as a whole.

Why is everyone here calling DWS a failure? Don't you all realize that Obama was the one that froze lobbyist money and caused the DNC to go in the red? You can't do anything without money!

Everybody knows Obama hates DWS and politico thinkpieces are garbage spinzones, fuck that noise.

DNC will never catch up with RNC in money without some fundamental compromises even then RNC will beat them. It's a losing game. Not to mention Koch Bros and other PACs funding local elections outside the purview of the RNC.

kirblar

I actually don't think the DNC has had a good chair since Dean--and DWS has been bad.

Not because of any stupid angry primary rivalry stuff, but because Dean was the last chair who seemed to care about the non-blue states and I believe the failure to capitalize on the seeds he planted for the 50 state strategy accelerated and worsened the shellacking Dems have taken at the state level, particularly in the south. 15 years ago the Democrats had a majority of southern governors and legislatures, some with supermajorities, even as their national/presidential vote had collapsed.

Some of this is inevitable due to partisan sorting and national politics, but no one since Dean seems to have even cared about investing in red states.

It's a pity that the scandal-du-hour daily show / twitter class has gotten so caught up in micro level details of who said what and what the latest plot twist is that they miss big patterns in politics. :(
Yup. They squandered what he built.
DNC will never catch up with RNC in money without some fundamental compromises even then RNC will beat them. It's a losing game. Not to mention Koch Bros and other PACs funding local elections outside the purview of the RNC.
Obama put fundraising restrictions in place that Clinton removed this year, they almost certainly contributed to the problems.

Gattsu25

Banned
I've lost a lot of respect for the Democratic Party. I don't know who I'm voting for come November

Why does everyone assume I'm voting for Trump? We have other candidates outside the two party system and I didnt explicitly rule anyone out.

It's not that you're going to vote for Trump. It's more along the lines that you are fine with a racist isolationist taking over the country.

The election has always been a vote for the lesser evil, this year's moreso than ever before IMO. A vote for a third party candidate that has no chance of winning is an abstain - which will net us a Brexit like result - something many consider just as bad as not doing anything.

This is wack and embarrassing. Awesome of Bernie to take high road.

Make Bernie the chair!

Sounds like Donna Brazile is getting it in the interim, who is respected by both sides and was impartial. But I do think someone who is in the Sanders camp would be a good peace offering and a good way to move the party forward.

I will say Wikileaks made the DNC better today. Even if that wasn't their intention. Well I suppose that depends on who gets the nod moving forward. Plz focus on the down-ticket!

Madness

Isn't the RNC having massive money problems ATM anyway?

Trump is having some issues with fundraising. The RNC has billionaires like the Koch brothers and Peter Thiel and can easily get hundreds of millions for funding. Think about how much Jeb and Mitt spent on anti-Trump attacks that all went to waste. Was hundreds of millions.

I will say Wikileaks made the DNC better today. Even if that wasn't their intention. Well I suppose that depends on who gets the nod moving forward. Plz focus on the down-ticket!

Donna Brazille is getting the job through the end of this election, and Bernie twitter people are already shitting on her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom