• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamhack Summer 2012 Thread: SC2/DOTA2/HoN/LoL/CS/Quake/BF3/SF4AE/SFxT June 16-18

They already spoiled that ward?

Yeah, but that's something a good support player will know instantly anyways. He saw the wards in Smile's inventory and saw one less after they went up behind the tower. But I don't like the fact that the casters are in the same place as the players. They really can't say anything this way.

But the framerate.. hnng

Haunted

lol at bringing the probes. Great run for Fraer.

Dimaga vs Mana for finals. Didn't see that one coming.
Mana is such an unpredictable tournament player. When he's on a tear, he's really on a tear.

Would've bet money on Stephano/Hero/Naniwa/Sase making it to the finals, but Mana beat the former two and Dimaga the latter (well, Nani). They beat the best and are deservedly in the finals.

ksan

Mana is such an unpredictable tournament player. When he's on a tear, he's really on a tear.

Would've bet money on Stephano/Hero/Naniwa/Sase making it to the finals, but Mana beat the former two and Dimaga the latter (well, Nani). They beat the best and are deservedly in the finals.

I think Mana finished his studies now too, which partly might or might not explain the varying results.

What's the point of commentary if the teams can hear it?

It's completely stupid as viewers who don't follow DOTA won't understand jackshit as they can't explain the items they are buying, the strategies, and more.

red731

What does the 11-14 number at the top mean ?

Heroes brought down by other team. When someone dies you can see timer for his next respawn at coresponding team where death occured.

:lol, dreamhack dota is kinda twitching me to try it too. looks fun, and strategicaly challenging...

ksan

So this is quite interesting imo. Big gold advantage and good items up (sheep on wr~)
But compared to other carries jugger isn't as good at split pushing and isn't as good at killing (except with ulti).
Even though they have furion they will still be forced to go together a bit more than with other big carries.

On top of that they need to push into the base against invoker/bm/lesh, or Na'Vi better than anyone know what to do to get back into the game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
mTw are looking good at the moment, hopefully they can take this to 3.

Edit: Then they give away a gem for nothing.

Sibylus

Banned
mtw have to push into the base, and soon. Their two Sheepsticks and all those damage/agility items on Juggernaut are so powerful right now.

BOOM! And that is why they needed to push.

NaVi have no carry. It was pretty clear that, barring major fuck-ups from mTw, they would take it late-game because even if Juggernaut is not the best late-game carry in the game, he's better than no carry. (I actually really like the hero, love that he's picked up more often)

Even Windrunner now completed a MKB.

ksan

Very good timing.

and pretty hilarious by tobi to announce the aghanims (if mTw didn't see it yet) as night time was just coming back =/
maybe worst job in the world right now, impossible to do well

Very good timing.

and pretty hilarious by tobi to announce the aghanims (if mTw didn't see it yet) as night time was just coming back =/
maybe worst job in the world right now, impossible to do well

Yeah, and the smoke before I think 2 of Na'Vi were still smoked up. Kind of sucks.

ksan

3rd game; Dendi Pudge last pick.

Crowd goes mental!

probably not gonna happen

or will Na'Vi have some other super insane strategy just for the final game?

Maybe mTw do as well?

What the fuck? The players hear the shoutcasting? Why aren't they in a soundproof booth or another part of the convention?

I don't know. I guess 2 soundproof booths for 5 players are somewhat expensive and they wanted them to be on the big stage for some reason.
I think they actually had booths at the last International so the players didn't hear the casters.

Good game from mTw.

calder

Sweet, made it back home in time for the Dota. Easily my second favourite esport to watch after SC2, makes me wish I could play it (like, emotionally/mentally able, I have the beta but lack the balls).

GG, so game three is coming right up? Bo3?

Ikuu

I'm sure they'll have them for next time, can't imagine them being cheap. They could have soundproof headsets at the least though.

Na'Vi got fucking rolled. So good. But that's what pushing power gets you. Veno + Wind + Nature is hard to slow down. and when you're not safe in your own jungles anymore (let alone rosh), you've got an uphill battle indeed.

2) who wants to just sit in a room and not watch the players and listen to casting?

Maybe I'm crazy, but the competitive integrity of the tournament should take precedence over "the attendees want to see the players". I seem to recall the teams being in 5 man booths at the International last year, so why are they ill-prepared to set this up? Horrible work by Dreamhack.

This is why Dota 2 needs a weekly podcast in the spirit of SC2's State of the Game. Allow the players and casters to speak their minds and keep the tournaments and developers honest, and to make suggestions about how to maintain the game as a major esport.

Madouu

Cause stupidity, that's why.

It has always been like this for HoN by the way, shoutcasters adapted and it's not that bad. Great finals so far, rooting for Mortal Team Work just for how old school that organization is!

Also, Fnatic won the cs 1.6 final vs Na'Vi as expected, I haven't seen it mentioned here.

Helmholtz

I'm sure they'll have them for next time, can't imagine them being cheap. They could have soundproof headsets at the least though.
Sound proof headsets would have been the easiest and most sensible route.
But yeah they better fix this shit for next time.

That being said, I think the casters did a pretty good job and were mostly spoiler free. That was a pretty good game. Enigma/Venom/Prophet/Windrunner is just insane push potential. Not to mention they can rosh in a matter of seconds.

Ikuu

Maybe I'm crazy, but the competitive integrity of the tournament should take precedence over "the attendees want to see the players". I seem to recall the teams being in 5 man booths at the International last year, so why are they ill-prepared to set this up? Horrible work by Dreamhack.

The booth they had for The International was sick, probably cost a fortune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtAyWVuog1w shows it off.

This is why Dota 2 needs a weekly cast in the spirit of SC2's State of the Game. Allow the players to speak their minds and keep the tournaments and developers honest, and to make suggestions about how to maintain the game as a major esport.

I'm by no means disagreeing with you - it sucks. Was merely trying to give some potential insight in why DH did what they did. At the very least they could have done what IEM did/does and get some of those Sennheiser Helicopter Headsets to at least do something.

Edit: I hope Valve will be able to add in a short spectator delay for scenarios like this in the future.

Helmholtz

I'm kinda annoyed by Tobi screaming all the time, maybe because it's late and I want to sleep.
It does get annoying as hell. However I thought he toned it down a bit for Game 2 which was good. Game 1 was kind of unbearable. I'm guessing the finals will be an all-out scream fest.
I think he's a pretty decent caster, but his constant screaming is probably my least favorite thing about him. I really hope the Dota 2 scene gets some more casters at some point. It seems way too reliant on Tobi right now.

K.Sabot

This is why Dota 2 needs a weekly podcast in the spirit of SC2's State of the Game. Allow the players and casters to speak their minds and keep the tournaments and developers honest, and to make suggestions about how to maintain the game as a major esport.

Dendi, Tobi, SingSing and Puppey would be ace.

I'm by no means disagreeing with you - it sucks. Was merely trying to give some potential insight in why DH did what they did. At the very least they could have done what IEM did/does and get some of those Sennheiser Helicopter Headsets to at least do something.

Indeed. Any kind of closed headphones would probably be fine. I just saw the stage they are playing on and the teams are so close together that they can probably hear each other's voices directly, no need for Tobi to spoil things.

f0rk

1) because no one except Riot owns 2 sets of 5-man booths

Didn't they have them at The International?

Sound proof headsets would have been the easiest and most sensible route.
But yeah they better fix this shit for next time.

That being said, I think the casters did a pretty good job and were mostly spoiler free. That was a pretty good game. Enigma/Venom/Prophet/Windrunner is just insane push potential. Not to mention they can rosh in a matter of seconds.

They are using them aren't they? I don't think proper 100% sound proof ones exist.

Top Bottom