• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola: Doctors told to prep for global outbreak after victim allowed on two planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

Airborne transmission has been shown in labs but never documented in real life.

The chances of this destroying the world are slim.

I wouldn't worry.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You realize we're talking about real people at this point right? These aren't pretend people dying in a video game.

Oh crap, I thought they were legos.

Terra

Fair enough, we should never discount the possibility that something could happen, right?
Better be sure to protect yourself from malaria, black plague, H1N1 influenza, cholera, yellow fever, radiation poisoning, and mutated strains of HIV transmitted through the air too.

I would say that ebola is a bigger threat at the moment, based upon the current situation, the fact that Ebola is a Level 4 biosafety agent (the others you name are not) and that Sierra Leone and Liberia chooses to close their borders.

But then again. Maybe they are just overreacting. Maybe they are not. We´ll see.

CNN reporting one of the two americans has been given an experimental serum to combat the disease. They will also be transferred to the US in an isolated medical plane if their condition stabilizes.

Nokterian

I would say that ebola is a bigger threat at the moment, based upon the current situation, the fact that Ebola is a Level 4 biosafety agent (the others you name are not) and that Sierra Leone and Liberia chooses to close their borders.

But then again. Maybe they are just overreacting. Maybe they are not. We´ll see.

I think there not overreacting at all. Nearly 700 dead and 1200 infected still rising is a huge concern then we have the no reports of other cases who are also infected because there scared to go to the hospital. Those people are near there loved ones and touch them after they die and bury them near a place so then you 10 more infected and that's how you don't stop a virus from spreading and isolate it. And there is no cure for this at all that is even more terrifying.

Az

I am not worried but just how people overreact, you guys shutting down every suspiction is getting annoying.

Normally I'd figure I'm fine since I'm a shut in, but I'm going to London in a few days and now I'm scared I'll catch the ebolas while out there. I'm a terrible hypochondriac too :(, so I know I'm going to be freaking out super hard if I get any symptoms of anything while I'm out there.

tfur

They said later it's a plan right now. Not happening or happened yet.

I expect someone to veto that flight. I think they could create a remote site for collection and treatment.

The CDC site has some pretty cool info. There is a link to the genetic profile of the virus. I appears to be a new strain related to the Zaire one, which was brutal.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/index.html?s_cid=cdc_homepage_whatsnew_001

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1404505?query=featured_home&&&#t=article

Edit: interesting on this second one. The article shows 15 patients and stats. Of the 15, the 2 that survived were Female. One having a spontaneous abortion as her symptom.

There is (more or less) good medication/treatment for the named diseases available while there is none for ebola.

Also in the latest news: Sierra Leone declares the state of emergency.
The african airline "ASKY" bans flights to westafrica.
The US peace corps withdraws volunteers from the affected
countries Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

sources: several austrian and german news agencies and
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28550906
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/31/us-health-ebola-leone-idUSKBN0G00TG20140731
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/30/us-health-ebola-peacecorps-idUSKBN0FZ2BQ20140730

death toll is now 729
The WHO reported 57 new deaths in the four days to July 27 in Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria.

"The scale of the Ebola outbreak, and the persistent threat it poses, requires WHO and Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone to take the response to a new level, and this will require increased resources," WHO Director General Margaret Chan said.

Security forces will enforce a quarantine on all centers of the disease and help health officers and aid workers to work unhindered, following attacks on health workers by local people.
The moves followed steps by Liberia which included the closure of all schools and a possible quarantine of affected communities.

Some airports also seem to introduce body temperature screening of all travelers from West African countries.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah. Even though I am sceptical by heart, I cannot believe all the "it isn´t gonna happen"-posts.

It IS a plausible scenario, that an infected person infects others and it starts to spread through parts of the world.

It has happened times before. Will probably happen again. Maybe this time. Maybe not.

But to just state that "it´s impossible" is just stupid. Even healthcare workers and doctors are legit worried about it spreading to Europe.

Almost 700 dead. That´s the size of the town that I live in.

Nobody is really saying it is impossible.

Implausible, however? Yes. Freaking out at this point does nothing but spread fear and misinformation, which could actually make things worse if this actually did start to travel.

doyoueven

Neo Member
People need to seriously chill out.

Yes, Ebola is a scary and horrible disease, but it's really fucking difficult to spread in developed countries. Not because it burns itself out, but because hygiene is leagues better for the vast majority of people, and the protocols and assets to contain any possible outbreaks would be magnitudes better than what they have in West Africa right now.

Also this seems to be a tabloid, so sensationalist title is sensationalist.

This. The Daily Mail is a joke and loves to scaremonger.

Are they now? Where? Who?

http://news.yahoo.com/uk-holds-emergency-talks-growing-ebola-threat-084704564.html

Most 1st and 2nd world countries can deal with infected persons rather "easily".
Panic-mode isn't necessary at all yet.

informative chart:
kX46sxg.jpg

NH Apache

Banned
My buddy works a a local rep for boats that come into port here.

He just got this from the USCG:

A Notice of Arrival that has been submitted for New Orleans, LA shows that your vessel made a port call from one or more countries with recent documented outbreaks of the Ebola Virus or an African country which is at risk of being an Ebola source.

Most Ebola cases have originated from the Western African countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. A limited number of additional cases have been identified in other African countries.

The New Orleans Captain of the Port is requesting to know if you currently have any crewmembers with any symptoms consistent with the Ebola Virus. Common symptoms typically include a fever, headache, joint and muscle aches, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, and a lack of appetite. The incubation period is 2-21 days. For more information on signs and symptoms, please refer to the following: http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/symptoms/.

Additionally, if there are any ill crew members onboard, you are strongly encouraged to isolate them in a private cabin until they are evaluated by a doctor to prevent transmission to others. Contact with other crew should be minimized.

Respectfully,
Port State Control/Arrivals Branch
Sector New Orleans
Phone: (504) 365-2361
FAX: (504) 365-2360
E-mail: pscnola@uscg.mil

Note: He has no medical background. USCG can't be arsed to send someone themself.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
CNN reporting one of the two americans has been given an experimental serum to combat the disease.

And if it's a serum of white blood cells from a survivor the whole thing is BS. It should have been tried in the beginning since it had been shown to work in the 1995 outbreak. Waiting until Americans get sick while hundreds of others die is sickening.

Edit: guess I was partially wrong. One received the serum and the other received a pint of blood from a survivor. Are others receiving blood also?

"Yesterday, an experimental serum arrived in the country, but there was only enough for one person. Dr. Brantly asked that it be given to Nancy Writebol," Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan's Purse, in a statement. "However, Dr. Brantly received a unit of blood from a 14-year-old boy who had survived Ebola because of Dr. Brantly's care. The young boy and his family wanted to be able to help the doctor that saved his life."

Necrovex

My mother became concern for my well being today as he connected the dots that I'm moving to South Africa in five months. I'm not worried due to the overwhelming far distance from Western Africa to South Africa, but she is slowly freaking out about it.

Snaku

Banned
My mother became concern for my well being today as he connected the dots that I'm moving to South Africa in five months. I'm not worried due to the overwhelming far distance from Western Africa to South Africa, but she is slowly freaking out about it.

Yeah, I don't think she quite grasps just how big that continent is.

AmyS

Emory University Hospital in Atlanta to receive Ebola patient in the coming days

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/emory-healthcare-to-treat-ebola-patient/ngrtm/

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...l-hospital-unit-readies-ebola-patient-n169951

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ebola-virus-outbreak-20140730,0,3053792.story

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...a-hospital-to-receive-ebola-patient/13434883/

ATLANTA – Emory University Hospital has been informed of plans to transfer a patient with the Ebola virus to its special facility containment unit within the next several days.

brian577

Banned
Good news everyone. Looks like they're flying in one of the infected health workers to Emory in Atlanta, Ga.

I know your being sarcastic but you do realize the worker is probably going to be in something like this:

iSOSTRETCHER8.jpg

and then taken to the CDC and put in an isolation ward.

vikki

Again, people in the US should be more concerned with chikungunya. That shit really could end up as a new problem for a lot of people.

Just got back from Trinidad on Tuesday and we thought my wife could have gotten it. We weren't sure if it was a combination of illnesses or chikugunya. She had the fever, the common cold symptoms, she was extra achey and fatigued. The worst part was the a bad rash on her face and arms plus what seemed like it could have been pink eye. A little scary when ready the symptoms of chikugunya, but the rash cleared up after she took some Benadryl. In the end we think it was the cold her brother had when we arrived plus an allergic reaction to some bed sheets in Tobago.

I think the positive thing about chikugunya right now is that the Mosquitos it is present in are not very aggressive. Even though there were lots of Mosquitos out every night, I didn't get bitten much and they were nothing like the hyper-aggressive Mosquitos I'm used to. I guess the fear is if the most common and more aggressive mosquito in the states becomes a carrier of chikugunya.

The Onion never fails.

Hahaha, I live 15 minutes away from there. I work five minutes away from there.

Bye, y'all. :(

Eerie coincidence ...

ATLANTA—Reclining his seat and switching on his iPad as his plane reached cruising altitude Wednesday, United Airlines passenger and Patient Zero of a highly infectious disease, Chris McCann, reportedly kicked back in seat 38C on his flight from Atlanta to Salt Lake City with a few episodes of the Fox sitcom New Girl. “I’ll take a ginger ale,” said the first human in existence to contract the lethal strain of the airborne virus, before reaching across his seatmate, taking his beverage from the flight attendant, and settling back into the show. “And you don’t have a blanket, do you? That’d be great when you get a chance.” At press time, the source of the deadly contagion was working his way down the full length of the aisle toward the restroom.

This ebola mania is so overblown. It's the next shiny object for the media to stare at, after the Russian downing of the Malaysian airline and news fatigue of Israeli massacres in Gaza.

Edit: Should point out that I'm referring to a GLOBAL EPIDEMIC/COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION type of posts and speculation

Normally I'd figure I'm fine since I'm a shut in, but I'm going to London in a few days and now I'm scared I'll catch the ebolas while out there. I'm a terrible hypochondriac too :(, so I know I'm going to be freaking out super hard if I get any symptoms of anything while I'm out there.

You'll be fine. Take a break from the internet for a bit maybe and avoid all the scaremongering.

xBladeM6x

The fear mongering in this thread is the equivalent to the hype of Half Life 3 being announced tomorrow. It's no wonder people are hypochondriacs. xD

Alphahawk

I think we need to clarify what's going on to understand why this wouldn't be as bad as in the US.

-Many in infected zones are not trusting of western doctors
-Many do not believe Ebola exists, believing it as a lie used by doctors to perform murders.
-Therefore many people sneak into quarantined areas to "free" infected patients, they then get infected themselves.
-Since many people do not believe the disease exists they don't exhibit the necessary caution needed to handle infected dead bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom