• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola: Doctors told to prep for global outbreak after victim allowed on two planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomster

The fear mongering in this thread is the equivalent to the hype of Half Life 3 being announced tomorrow. It's no wonder people are hypochondriacs. xD
Most can't tolerate the thought of urinating down a shower drain. How are they supposed to react to Ebola?

I think we need to clarify what's going on to understand why this wouldn't be as bad as in the US.

-Many in infected zones are not trusting of western doctors
-Many do not believe Ebola exists, believing it as a lie used by doctors to perform murders.
-Therefore many people sneak into quarantined areas to "free" infected patients, they then get infected themselves.
-Since many people do not believe the disease exists they don't exhibit the necessary caution needed to handle infected dead bodies.

Superstition and anti-science can be very very dangerous. :-/

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I think we need to clarify what's going on to understand why this wouldn't be as bad as in the US.

-Many in infected zones are not trusting of western doctors
-Many do not believe Ebola exists, believing it as a lie used by doctors to perform murders.
-Therefore many people sneak into quarantined areas to "free" infected patients, they then get infected themselves.
-Since many people do not believe the disease exists they don't exhibit the necessary caution needed to handle infected dead bodies.
#3 seems... Yeah.. Damn

kess

Earlier this year some Liberian senator was saying that Ebola was a fake disease, a doctor's conspiracy of some kind. Either people are seriously crazy or unbelievably ignorant.

I'd be interested in seeing all the prep work that is going in to move these two infected Americans back to the states. From whatever hospital they are in, in Liberia, to an airport onto a special plane, then flying to some airfield in Georgia, and on to the hospital. All while keeping them in isolation from everyone else.

brian577

Banned
Interesting article about the potential for air-borne Ebola.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-20341423

Now, researchers from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the country's Public Health Agency have shown that pigs infected with this form of Ebola can pass the disease on to macaques without any direct contact between the species.

In their experiments, the pigs carrying the virus were housed in pens with the monkeys in close proximity but separated by a wire barrier. After eight days, some of the macaques were showing clinical signs typical of ebola and were euthanised.

One possibility is that the monkeys became infected by inhaling large aerosol droplets produced from the respiratory tracts of the pigs.

One of the scientists involved is Dr Gary Kobinger from the National Microbiology Laboratory at the Public Health Agency of Canada. He told BBC News this was the most likely route of the infection.

"What we suspect is happening is large droplets - they can stay in the air, but not long, they don't go far," he explained.

"But they can be absorbed in the airway and this is how the infection starts, and this is what we think, because we saw a lot of evidence in the lungs of the non-human primates that the virus got in that way."

The scientists say that their findings could explain why some pig farmers in the Philippines had antibodies in their system for the presence of a different version of the infection called Ebola Reston. The farmers had not been involved in slaughtering the pigs and had no known contact with contaminated tissues.

Dr Kobinger stresses that the transmission in the air is not similar to influenza or other infections. He points to the experience of most human outbreaks in Africa.

"The reality is that they are contained and they remain local, if it was really an airborne virus like influenza is it would spread all over the place, and that's not happening."

If the virus is airborne, which is one explanation why some people are being infected when they haven't had any contact with infected bodily fluid then this thing would running rampant. So far less than 700 people have been infected in six months.

That's what I've been trying to say. People keep saying it's gone airborne but there's no signs of that.

Raist

Banned
Interesting article about the potential for air-borne Ebola.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-20341423

This is old. That study is nice and all, but there's an awful lot of "we did our best to make this work" kind of things.
And stuff like this:

The design and size of the animal cubicle did not allow to distinguish whether the transmission was by aerosol, small or large droplets in the air, or droplets created during floor cleaning which landed inside the NHP cages (fomites).

edit: that's straight from the actual paper which can be found here:
http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/121115/srep00811/full/srep00811.html

Tarkus

Oh come on. That guy is being quarantined like Obama on a routine visit to Afghanistan.

There is nothing to fear.
So, it's still creepy as fuck that an Ebola-infected patient is in the next building over and that the US has zero experience handling Ebola patients.

Nicktendo86

There's always a killer outbreak on the way, bird flu, swine flu, god knows what else. The news love an outbreak. Excuse me if I don't panic.

I'm going to die, aren't I?

Big difference there in terms of mortality and options. I'm just saying, it's a little unnerving.

It is ebola.

You guys are forgetting the fact that the entire disease started in a place where personal hygiene is nowhere to be found. It is a breeding ground for viruses, bacteria etc.

You can get ebola in that place just by taking a dump because there is no proper drainage so each 'splash' has the potential to be lethal when it reaches an open cut/wound.

They were quarantining people at the start with bloody mosquito nets. Lack of proper supplies has you using every single thing just to make you feel safe.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
There's always a killer outbreak on the way, bird flu, swine flu, god knows what else. The news love an outbreak. Excuse me if I don't panic.

I'm going to die, aren't I?
image.php

Eventually, yes.

great time to be a hospital worker. and there's SARS's cousin MERS too which has a pretty messed up fatality rate.

i can guarantee one thing, if a serious infectious disease starts spreading, even high tech university hospitals in rich countries are laughably ill-equipped to deal with it. and i literally mean laughable, the situation in our hospital in Finland is so pathetic we always joke about how we're all fucked if a pandemic hits. ER doesn't inform other wards if a patient coming in has an infectious disease, often people in operating or imaging rooms aren't informed, people who transport patients aren't informed, quarantined patients escape outside for a cigarette, beds and wheelchairs used by quarantined patients aren't cleaned properly, nurses don't use hand sanitizer and so on and so on, basically no one gives two shits. i've kinda stopped caring as well, and if we ever get an ebola patient i'll just walk out along with my co-workers.

672 people after 4-5 months

truly, the world is doomed.

EDIT:

lolz.

again: 672 people

you do understand exponential growth tho? and how every pandemic starts from 1 person?

Hari Seldon

What I want to know is who is fitting the bill for bringing back these people to the US in special planes. If an ambulance ride costs 10k, what does this cost, like 10B?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom