• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola: Doctors told to prep for global outbreak after victim allowed on two planes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same day too

jpg.jpg

People need to grasp what's going on here. The facilities in this region are just not suited for this kind of situation. The people there are very difficult to deal with thinking the doctors are killing people for body parts, nurses going on strike because they are too afraid to deal with the people infected, and people breaking out of quarantine. That's just some of the issues not all of them.

It's not comparable to a developed nation.

People need to grasp what's going on here. The facilities in this region are just not suited for this kind of situation. The people there are very difficult to deal with thinking the doctors are killing people for body parts, nurses going on strike because they are too afraid to deal with the people infected, and people breaking out of quarantine. That's just some of the issues not all of them.

It's not comparable to a developed nation.

Seriously, people in the region don't even think Ebola exists.

When you're dealing with a population that already has poor hygiene AND actively dismisses the threat of a virus that thrives on it, it's gonna be a fucked situation.

overcast

OH FUCK WHY. I NEED TO SEE BLACK PANTHER, AND BATMAN VS SUPERMAN. I NEED TO PLAY MY PS4 FOR YEARS AND SEE A PS5. GUYS. I NEED TO SEE DWIGHT HOWARD WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP FOR US.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...las-just-one-flight-away-risk-low-cdc-n166931

Essentially the risk is really low he infected anyone else. Ebola is contagious, but it's not airborne. To contract it you have to be in direct contact with bodily fluids. So in all likelyhood all the passengers on the planes are fine unless he peed on them or something.

what if he sneezed and only covered his mouth slightly? WAT THEN? Imagine that stuff stuck in a closed plane, going all around. Spores from the last of us bro

Somebody really should make an official topic for this. Every time there's news somebody has to make a new one.

I dunno...new threads for new news, and this is pretty important stuff. I mean, I secretly wish there was an official topic because this is scary shit that keeps me up at night and tucked in one place it could be safely ignored, but I see the need nonetheless.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...las-just-one-flight-away-risk-low-cdc-n166931

Essentially the risk is really low he infected anyone else. Ebola is contagious, but it's not airborne. To contract it you have to be in direct contact with bodily fluids. So in all likelyhood all the passengers on the planes are fine unless he peed on them or something.

again: "body fluids" is very vague with ebola. even the sweat is highly contaminated. so touching an infected person is enough to transmit the virus. Fine mucus spread out while sneezing or coughing is also considered as body fluids. So I don't think it's fair to say that ebola is "not airborne".

If the virus is so hard to transmit it would have been vanished/wiped out already.

there's a reason helpers in the affected countries look like the Liquidators of Chernobyl incl. 2 pair of gloves, etc
4uHlJFB.jpg

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
If I die, I die. Whatever. The worst part is that it won't kill me quickly enough. That's the part that sucks.

DarkFlow

Banned
again: "body fluids" is very vague with ebola. even the sweat is highly contaminated. so touching an infected person is enough to transmit the virus. Fine mucus spread out while sneezing or coughing is also considered as body fluids. So I don't think it's fair to say that ebola is "not airborne".

If the virus is so hard to transmit it would have been vanished/wiped out already.

there's a reason helpers in the affected countries look like the Liquidators of Chernobyl incl. 2 pair of gloves, etc
4uHlJFB.jpg
They look like that because they're not fuckin stupid. They could wear less, but why risk it?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

The Ebola affecting people right now in Africa is one of a handful of similar viruses known over a larger geographical range. Some of the deaths found in the larger data set of all known outbreaks are from individuals who showed up in a hospital nowhere near where they got the disease, or laboratory workers. The best way to estimate mortality rates related to the present outbreak in West Africa is to take only field cases — actual outbreaks in normal populations — in Africa only, and to not count “outbreaks” that are not outbreaks because only one person is in the sample.

Ebola probably has a very high mortality rate when an infected person gets no medical treatment, and a mortality rate closer to 50% when a person quickly gets medical attention. There is no cure, but when a patient is given IV solutions in a hospital setting the chance of survival goes way up. This might suggest that smaller outbreaks that run their course before intervention would have a higher mortality rate, or that the mortality rate would be higher near the beginning of the event. Similarly, one might expect mortality rates to be higher in the early years of Ebola than later, as treatment methods developed.

Ebola Outbreak in West Africa: Some basic information

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Reading this, isnt this the same info from earlier? I think there was another thread just less hyperbolic I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom