• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola: Doctors told to prep for global outbreak after victim allowed on two planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac_Lane

Apparently, Doctors Without Borders stated that the outbreak is, and I quote, "out of control".

That's some scary shit.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
We've had Ebola in the US before: Ebola Reston.

I wish people would calm down and not get hyped on disaster fetish.

Nephtis

Most of the infections have been in Sierra Leon which has a population of 6 million. You were saying?

Yes, but that's an area where people have been quarantined and it's been closely monitored. Countris like China and Brazil I imagine would have a slower response time and higher infection spread. China has some experience with outbreaks so that may be a bad example, but a country like Brazil?

slit

Yes, but that's an area where people have been quarantined and it's been closely monitored. Countris like China and Brazil I imagine would have a slower response time and higher infection spread. China has some experience with outbreaks so that may be a bad example, but a country like Brazil?

Brazil is not even that densely populated.

What are you going about? The arae was quarantined after people started getting sick, kind of like how Brazil would start quarantining after people start getting sick.

I can't imagine many places where the response to this virus wouldn't be better. There's a perfect storm of problems in the region essentially fueling the spread of this virus.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
shut down all airlines and borders until contained, please dont come to Canada I WANT TO LIVE!!!

Wait a second

Not only is this thread apparently old news, there already was a thread about this, created by the same OP. Why exactly was another thread created?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Ebola has a three week incubation time, right?

Shit's going to get FUN* when it hits Europe or the US.

*not at all

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wait a second

Not only is this thread apparently old news, there already was a thread about this, created by the same OP. Why exactly was another thread created?

Because this is the extra fueled up fear mongering thread and apparently thats okay around these parts.

Rapstah

At this rate people are going to start looting stores and rioting before anyone realises more people died in the recent plane crashes than will die from this outbreak.

12monkeys_zps0a378f16.jpg

One (1) Internets to the one that gets it.

Jesus christ. You can't fucking shut down international travel just like that. Life isn't a cartoon.

That doesn't seem to stop people from acting like cartoon characters though.Or looking like them if you've got enough acid.

Too bad people are dying. But this is still far away from being a pandemic.

This is one of the times when I'm very thankful that I live in a remote location. Good luck, rest of the World.

T_T It will still find me, won't it.

Some airliners have stopped flights in and out of certain areas in the region due to the outbreak.

I can't post a link, but it should be on Google. It was mentioned on the Been this morning.

I wonder if airports in the affected areas have some basic passenger screenings?

I was put under quarantine at the malasian airport because I had a (harmless) fever during the bird flu "epedemic". They sort of tested every passengers temperature at the security check.

Biochet

i hope anybody here that is currently in Africa is safe and is being cautious with any human contact, and hopefully this outbreak ends soon because fuckkkkk

Chichikov

Yeah, Ebola is a bad virus, but people need to chill the fuck up, ideally by reading about how it's transmitted (from the CDC website) -

When an infection does occur in humans, there are several ways in which the virus can be transmitted to others. These include:
  • direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person
  • exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions
You don't get infected someone coughing at you, this is not a disease that is capable of wiping up humanity.
Basically, try not to touch puke, shit or blood from questionable sources, but I think that's a pretty good advice in general.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, Ebola is a bad virus, but people need to chill the fuck up, ideally by reading about how it's transmitted (from the CDC website) -

When an infection does occur in humans, there are several ways in which the virus can be transmitted to others. These include:
  • exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions
You don't get infected someone coughing at you, this is not a disease that is capable of wiping up humanity.
Basically, try not to touch shit and blood from questionable sources, but I think that's a pretty good advice in general.

It is present in sweat though and I imagine saliva. I'm not sure how hard it is to get infected from contact with those compare to blood.

Vagabundo

Basically, try not to touch puke, shit or blood from questionable sources, but I think that's a pretty good advice in general.

You can catch it though airborne particles, check the medical article earlier in the thread.

Forsete

Gold Member
Unless it mutates I doubt this will be a serious virus in the western world.

It probably will be/already is a serious virus in Africa, maybe soon the middle east and Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom