• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM #244 Feb'11

eosos

Banned
The reason GT5 got a 6.5 according to the reviewer was because he felt like nothing changed. He said that it was stuck in the 90's (?) and that the menus were bad. He said it couldn't stack up to the likes of Forza and Need For Speed. He also complained about lack of damage. Oh and he said that some of the cars looked bad which distracted him during races. It was a shitty review.

The LBP2 guy said that it was good and all bu the single player was too short. So yeah... meh.

I am liking Game Informer a lot more than this mag. They never have sent me an egmi code and they barely had any reviews in this mag. Also the new SSX game doesn't look that good.

eosos said:
The reason GT5 got a 6.5 according to the reviewer was because he felt like nothing changed. HE said that it was stuck in the 90's (?) and that the menus were bad. He said it couldn't stack up to the likes of Forza and Need For Speed. He also complained about lack of damage. Oh and he said that some of the cars looked bad which distracted him during races. It was a shitty review.

Were any of his points false or erroneous?

dreamer3kx said:
Getting my 6.5 popcorn ready.

Ehh better make it a small bag, EGM is hardly relevant for the most part to people (I.e. They don't know it even exists anymore). Now if this was the IGN score on the other hand...

AniHawk

Tricky I Shadow said:
I'm sorry, but nothing touches this when it comes to story for 2010.
Or any other year!

http://www.dsromsdl.com/wp-content/uploads/999.jpg[/][/QUOTE]

Not even DKCR?!

eosos

Banned
jooey said:
So it also said this?

are you white knighting GT5 or something?
Way to overreact..
Anyways the reason I said that was because of it constantly reminding me of how "stuck in the 90's it was". It really made no sense. The review kept complaining how the game didn't evolve without giving any examples. It told me that Need for Speed and Forza have "innovated" the racing genre, but it failed to tell me how. It was simply a review lacking much real information.

mr_nothin

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I wonder if the GT5 review was from the guy that did a preview of it and didn't know the difference between oversteer and understeer?
After my 1st two days with GT5, I'd score it a 9.5 but after a week or two with it...I'd give it the same score as EGM. The game was not done. WTF @ how many unrestricted races there were in GT Mode. I shouldnt have to force myself to obey my own self imposed rules. It was ok at 1st but after a while it's like why the hell am I limiting myself when the game is not limiting me? Patches that dont 'fix' the game but 'completes' the unfinished product they released. There's lots more that pissed me off (like restricting the gear ratios but still saying that you can adjust each gear individually and then having all the individual gears but greying them out...that was my favorite part of tuning)

GT5 is an awesome technical showcase but there's just barely a game there.
The only bit of game that was in GT5 was in the Special Events section. I also hated how the leveling up worked...you never knew what you were unlocking or even if you unlocked something. OH! And the racing modifications....wtf was the point in having that? There are only a handful of cars that you can actually race mod.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
SolidSnakex said:
I wonder if the GT5 review was from the guy that did a preview of it and didn't know the difference between oversteer and understeer?
Well he seems to know the difference between a good game and an above average one.

eosos said:
The reason GT5 got a 6.5 according to the reviewer was because he felt like nothing changed. He said that it was stuck in the 90's (?) and that the menus were bad. He said it couldn't stack up to the likes of Forza and Need For Speed. He also complained about lack of damage. Oh and he said that some of the cars looked bad which distracted him during races. It was a shitty review.

The LBP2 guy said that it was good and all bu the single player was too short. So yeah... meh.

I am liking Game Informer a lot more than this mag. They never have sent me an egmi code and they barely had any reviews in this mag. Also the new SSX game doesn't look that good.

I agree with you. GT5 is the game that's fun to crap on and the complaints people have don't even affect the gameplay or even called for. I have never heard so many people complain about things as trivial as a menu layout (which honestly isn't bad, it reflects the feel of a car dealership, IMO). Forza 3 was okay but was overhyped as well. At the end of the day (and several updates later), GT5 is a great racing simulator and that's what matters the most.

I want to support EGM but video gaming magazines outside of PLAY, Game Informer and EDGE have seem to lost their appeal. I do like the EGMi format but I don't know... it didn't seem like anything worth purchasing when you have blog sites (joystiq,Kotaku,etc,.) and neogaf. When they have poorly written reviews, it doesn't help their cause either.

ScOULaris

Is this issue in stores yet? My subscription expired, and I am thinking about just buying it in stores from now on since I always got my subscriber issues weeks after it hit stores anyway.

Can't believe I'm the first to notice this:

their Kingdom Hearts RE: coded review? All the images are from Birth by Sleep!

Fucking amateur hour.

MC Safety

Maleficence said:
Well that's incredibly inconsistent.

May just be a matter of different reviewers really.

For all intents and purposes, this is an entirely new EGM: New publisher, new editors and writers, new one-person review scheme.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Blakero said:
We the gamers are responsible for the publications skewed review score logic. 8.5 IS NOT A BAD SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hBFkH.png

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't know, between what I saw on the (long) Giant Bomb Quick Look of GT5, and the stupidity about the differences in quality of the car models, I don't find a 6.5 hard to believe.

Also, how many people on the new EGM staff were on the old EGM staff? I honestly don't know. Thought most everyone had gone to get different jobs.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Or any other year!

999.jpg
999 deserves some kind of honorable mention. Man, for EGM to be focusing on too many mainstream western games, I find it delightful to see an ad Record of Agarest War Zero on the back.

Alan Wake!?

ALAN WAKE!?

W...what? Even by Stephen King standards it was an awful story with awful characters...effing stephen king standards!

The GT5 score reminds me of another score from way back in the day. A certain 7.9 score for a racer, of sorts, melted a whole message board down.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Hellshadow said:
Aaron Thomas did the reviews for LBP2 and Gran Turismo 5 for those asking.
Aaaaaaand there's your answer. I think he also gave NBA2K11 a 7.0 and pretty much only talked about the Jordan stuff in his review.

Guevara

I feel like Crackdown 2 deserves a defense force. It's not a great game, but I have fun with it and it added a few neat aspects to the franchise. I also hope it sold well enough to encourage the true sequel to Crackdown (1) we're all hoping for.

Hellshadow said:
- Best Original Game: Heavy Rain

Hell yes. You may think the story was cheesy or it wasn't fun/for you, but Heavy Rain was very original and I'm glad it's gotten the recognition it deserves at the end of the year.

- Biggest Letdown: Crackdown 2
I was so disappointed by this title. It reminded me of the older Tomb Raiders - nothing was really changed or improved. It's a shame because the original was great and they had so much to "awesome" build on.

I can fully understand the score for GT5. The driving is great, but Gran Turismo Mode is such a chore that you think the creators hate their customers, and the you get the premium/standard cars nonsense on top of that.

Cruceh

Banned
I like the people attacking the reviewer for giving out low scores. Quick, let's dig out what else he reviewed in the past.

Grecco

MC Safety said:
For all intents and purposes, this is an entirely new EGM: New publisher, new editors and writers, new one-person review scheme.

If anything its closer to Play magazine than EGM

turnbuckle

Shurs said:
Their strategy certainly doesn't involve consistent delivery of the magazine to subscribers.

Yeah, still only have received 2 print issues. Get the e version but never look at it.

One person reviews are not EGM. I certainly won't be resubscribing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tricky I Shadow said:
Or any other year!

999.jpg

The game is Japanese: DISQUALIFIED

The game is handheld: DISQUALIFIED

The game does not predominantly rely on FPS/TPS mechanics: DISQUALIFIED

thetrin said:
The game is Japanese: DISQUALIFIED

The game is handheld: DISQUALIFIED

The game does not predominantly rely on FPS/TPS mechanics: DISQUALIFIED

Pretty sure that's how it works. Good thinking.

Curufinwe

Cruceh said:
I like the people attacking the reviewer for giving out low scores. Quick, let's dig out what else he reviewed in the past.

Have you ever heard Thomas on the Mobcast? The justifications he gives for his opinions don't exactly inspire confidence, and for a professional game reviewer he seems overly prone to getting frustrated by games that don't spoon-feed you every last little thing.

60% or 65% for GT5 is fine if the review does a coherent job of explaining why a score that low is justified. See Dave Snider's review for Giant Bomb.

Top Bottom