• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Beat Agents...The insane ramblings of Mobius Pigeon (now with YTMND)

Fn GAF and its hype for certain games. I wasted $30 on this shit. GAF you owe me $30. :lol BU BU BU OUENDAN!!!! BU BU BU OUENDAN!!!! will you people hype anything thats slightly quirky and japanese? The music sucks, the gameplay sucks, the stories that go with the music SUCK too and so does everyone that hyped this POS game. The only thing good about this game is how sharp the video looks on my DSLs screen. Otherwise WTF. wait a sec...didnt Reggie hype this game or something? Is that why is recieved all the hype here? Well guess what Reggie....ELITE BEAT AGENTS SUCKS AND ITS NOT FUN. maybe i'm missing something? maybe there's more to the trio of goons doing ballet while i tap out "note hits" that dont seem to even require any real rhythm like in games such as frequency or guitar hero. i give EBA 4 out of 5 steaming piles of CRAP. :D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Off with his head!

(I vote we start catting this thread...)

What part of the gameplay isn't fun? I mean...it's a rhythm game, the only way you could hate the gameplay would be if you hate that game type, to which the obvious question is "why did you buy it?"

USD

I played EBA for a total of five minutes at GameStop and enjoyed it thoroughly. *shrug*
Different strokes for different folks.

I propose that MobiusPigeon have his thread making privileges taken away, and have them given over to the cat macros.

KevinRo

MobiusPigeon said:
Fn GAF and its hype for certain games. I wasted $30 on this shit. GAF you owe me $30. :lol BU BU BU OUENDAN!!!! BU BU BU OUENDAN!!!! will you people hype anything thats slightly quirky and japanese? The music sucks, the gameplay sucks, the stories that go with the music SUCK too and so does everyone that hyped this POS game. The only thing good about this game is how sharp the video looks on my DSLs screen. Otherwise WTF. wait a sec...didnt Reggie hype this game or something? Is that why is recieved all the hype here? Well guess what Reggie....ELITE BEAT AGENTS SUCKS AND ITS NOT FUN. maybe i'm missing something? maybe there's more to the trio of goons doing ballet while i tap out "note hits" that dont seem to even require any real rhythm like in games such as frequency or guitar hero. i give EBA 4 out of 5 steaming piles of CRAP. :D

OBVIOUSLY you haven't played this game deep enough. Depending on when you tap the screen you get extra points, and this game isn't EASY. If you've gotten to the 3 girls then you know it's not EASY.

I thought the game was pretty average and way too easy at first too. After I beat it and unlocked hard, I decided it was the best game on DS by a large margin. Besides the Ouendan games of course.

Amir0x

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
What part of the gameplay isn't fun? I mean...it's a rhythm game, the only way you could hate the gameplay would be if you hate that game type, to which the obvious question is "why did you buy it?"

while I don't think MobiusPigeon gave any valid reason for disliking the game (or at least any real explanation except to 'cause trolls to come out), I'm pretty sure this comment here is not true. There's lots of valid reasons to dislike rhythm games, and it's not only based on if you like the genre or not. Interface, music selection, style and even options (for example, Guitar Hero II is better than Guitar Hero I partially because of the improved practice mode!).

It's possible you're playing on easy mode. I wouldn't ever, ever play the game if that was all it was, cos it's the most boring thing in the world. Make sure you're on at least 2 stars.

Amir0x said:
while I don't think MobiusPigeon gave any valid reason for disliking the game (or at least any real explanation except to 'cause trolls to come out), I'm pretty sure this comment here is not true. There's lots of valid reasons to dislike rhythm games, and it's not only based on if you like the genre or not. Interface, music selection, style and even options (for example, Guitar Hero II is better than Guitar Hero I partially because of the improved practice mode!).

True, song selection can really turn me off a game some times, but his objection seemed to be that the gameplay required no skill, which doesn't really seem to make sense. If he hates Material Girl so much he can't bare to play than fair enough.

i've played about 5 songs on the 2 star level and i just dont get it. why dont i like it? Its not complex AT ALL. in something like frequency or guitar hero you can play or seem to play and control different aspects of the music. in EBA you're just tapping to certain note hits. its very elementary and IMO BORING.

RubxQub

MobiusPigeon said:
i've played about 5 songs on the 2 star level and i just dont get it. why dont i like it? Its not complex AT ALL. in something like frequency or guitar hero you can play or seem to play and control different aspects of the music. in EBA you're just tapping to certain note hits. its very elementary and IMO BORING.
Try a harder difficulty?

Are you playing the game on easy? I don't understand how you could say the game doesn't have any rhythm.

Edit: Nevermind. No bloody wonder.

MobiusPigeon said:

I hate it when people say you should play more to get more enjoyment out of a game, but it may be true in your case. It gets a lot more skill and rhythm based as you go on through the 4 difficulties.

They really should allow people to play the game straight from *** if they want to, major blunder by iNiS.

RubxQub said:
Try a harder difficulty?

how much longer do i have to suffer before something harder opens? i LOVE rhythm games and the hype on this board made it seem like this game was the bees knees or some ish. DDR? LOVE. Frequency? OMG! Guitar Hero? YESSSSSSSS!!!! EBA???? UGH!!!! I mean all of the other above mentioned games made the learning curve bearable and fun. EBA just seems tedious in comparison.

MobiusPigeon said:
I somewhat agree with the Frequency example, but at a basic level EBA and Guitar Hero (and the like) are exactly the same, your 'just following notes'.

And trust me, beat it on Sweatin' and Hard Rock and then say whether or not the game is elementary.

Kusagari

MobiusPigeon said:

Get to hard and say that.

lolcatsdotcom9r5uee7wrqb27a17.jpg

Kevar posted this on another board and I loaded up GAF just to see the thread.

Despite already reading the OP, it still does not disappoint.

RubxQub

MobiusPigeon said:
how much longer do i have to suffer before something harder opens? i LOVE rhythm games and the hype on this board made it seem like this game was the bees knees or some ish. DDR? LOVE. Frequency? OMG! Guitar Hero? YESSSSSSSS!!!! EBA???? UGH!!!! I mean all of the other above mentioned games made the learning curve bearable and fun. EBA just seems tedious in comparison.
Being a huge fan of rhythm games myself, I found this game easy at first as well...but then it got harder and more enjoyable.

Also the little stories are awesome.

JohnsonUT

MobiusPigeon said:

In EBA you tap on drum beats, the guitar rythm, or the singer's voice all within a single song. What other aspects do you want?

Amir0x

Banned
I admit I didn't care much for the stories, but I found the Christmas Story and the Weather Lady story pretty nice. I mean, just 'cause the first was unexpectedly depressing and the second was really sweet.

chriskzoo

Banned
Wait until you buy the GAF God Hand hype, LOL. I just got Elite Beat Agents from GameFly and it will be going back after a week. I see the appeal, but I just don't have the twitch muscles of a 13 year old anymore.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Wait...The stories suck? The stories in EBA are fantastic! So completely and incredibly goofy. Guy has to take care of the kids to impress the lady but all he knows is football...What's not to love???

Cmagus

Ouendan was good,Elite Beat was good, and Ouendan 2 was awesome I can't wait for the next Elite Beat hopefully some tidbits at E3 that would be awesome.

JohnsonUT said:
In EBA you tap on drum beats, the guitar rythm, or the singer's voice all within a single song. What other aspects do you want?

maybe its the "HIT" noise thats throwing me off because this is the first rhythm game i've played where i dont feel connected to the music AT ALL. i'm gonna suffer and try to open up more and see if i can make a pacman CE style turn around but its looking pretty bleak honestly. :lol

acidviper

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
Agree. That's why you download the "demo" first.

MobiusPigeon said:
maybe its the "HIT" noise thats throwing me off because this is the first rhythm game i've played where i dont feel connected to the music AT ALL. i'm gonna suffer and try to open up more and see if i can make a pacman CE style turn around but its looking pretty bleak honestly. :lol

You're going to have to get to *** to really enjoy it, from what you've said. Guess it depends if you're willing to put the time in.

TheGreatDave said:
You're going to have to get to *** to really enjoy it, from what you've said. Guess it depends if you're willing to put the time in.

do i have to complete *everything* in 2 star mode?

MobiusPigeon said:

Ok I see your problem. I also found the game extremely boring until I got to the harder difficulty. You have to unlock hard mode before you'll start enjoying it. (At which point it will be expected of you to make an apology thread)

Top Bottom