• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Beat Agents...The insane ramblings of Mobius Pigeon (now with YTMND)

MobiusPigeon said:
ok i seriously almost threw my Fn DSL across the damn room. WTF is wrong with CANNED ****ING HEAT????? OMG!!!! and i ****ing LOVE jamiroquai!!! NONE OF THE F*CKING TAPS MATCH ANY OF THE ****ING NOTES OR SOUNDS!!!! :lol :lol I got further TURNING THE DAMN SOUND DOWN i shit you not. I dont think i've been this frustrated with a game in my life! Why do i love rhythm games? BECAUSE I LOVE MUSIC. WHAT THE F ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO WHEN THE ONSCREEN CUES DONT MATCH ANYTHING IN THE MUSIC????? holy crap. I think i figured out why i dont like this game and eggo kinda hit on it. I mentioned earlier that i just dont feel connected to the music. The gameplay is disconnected from the music in some way. Maybe its the touch screen, maybe its the way you input but somethings just OFF.

Syncopation. It's in the beginning of Canned Heat, and it just owned you.

Death_Born said:
Syncopation. It's in the beginning of Canned Heat, and it just owned you.

huh? help me while i'm on this break. i think this is the first time since stuntman that i've almost f*cking lost it. i actually had to stop to cool the hell down. :lol

holy crap that video rocks but you know why??? THE HITS ARE ACTUALLY MATCHED WITH THE MUSIC!!!!! not on level 2 tho. noooooooo. they couldnt make it that simple. :lol if all the songs play like that vid in the higher levels i could see myself liking it but level 2 is the f*cking PITS.

Jeff-DSA

I really don't understand how anybody, outside from getting kicked in the head by a donkey, could have anything but love for Elite Beat Agents.

Somnid

Horse.gif

MobiusPigeon said:
huh? help me while i'm on this break. i think this is the first time since stuntman that i've almost f*cking lost it. i actually had to stop to cool the hell down. :lol

Well, the MAIN beats are not matched to the circles, but the backbeats are. Just turn your volume way up and you'll hear them. Another way to do it is not concentrate on the music at all and just watch the circles. Eventually you get the hang of itl

Quagm1r3

It's got nothing to do with hype. I like this game because it's fun, not because some guy said it was good. Maybe you should stick to fps's?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Vyse The Legend said:
What? GH2 on expert is the very definition of tedious. That's a fault of the set list, though, which lacks the diversity of the GH1 songs.

Not to me. I have fun playing GH2. I get frustrated when I'm stuck on a song in EBA. Big difference in emotions these two games bring out. In GH2, I have the option of going back to 5 star earlier songs if I get stuck on a song too long. In EBA, you're pretty much stuck on one song at a time. In GH2, I can go to practice mode if I really want to beat a certain song, an option which is lacking in EBA.

The other reason I'd rather play GH is it's a social experience. There's multi-player. My g/f plays it. My roommate plays it. I can go to either of two bars once a week to play onstage in front of a bunch of people. I can't do the same with EBA. So I choose to play the game with a social element where I'm having fun and can feel myself getting better and improving my reaction time... or I can play the tedious single player game where I'm just memorizing when to tap as opposed to reacting to what's thrown at me.

Eggo said:
Not to me. I have fun playing GH2. I get frustrated when I'm stuck on a song in EBA. Big difference in emotions these two games bring out. In GH2, I have the option of going back to 5 star earlier songs if I get stuck on a song too long. In EBA, you're pretty much stuck on one song at a time. In GH2, I can go to practice mode if I really want to beat a certain song, an option which is lacking in EBA.

The other reason I'd rather play GH is it's a social experience. There's multi-player. My g/f plays it. My roommate plays it. I can go to either of two bars once a week to play onstage in front of a bunch of people. I can't do the same with EBA. So I choose to play the game with a social element where I'm having fun and can feel myself getting better and improving my reaction time... or I can play the tedious single player game where I'm just memorizing when to tap as opposed to reacting to what's thrown at me.

someone understands my pain right now. EBA may bring me to tears when i go back to it in a few minutes. :(

Eggo said:
In GH2, I can go to practice mode if I really want to beat a certain song, an option which is lacking in EBA.

Uh, no...there's a tutorial, as well as "Breezin'" mode, and all the modes before your song. Also, you get unlimited replays by pressing start and "replay".

Osorio said:
Ahh, I just checked my score. I lied to you, lol. I got an A, 4,508,780. Its still a pain to get that far. In other words, we own EBA. :D

Yeah, that felt good. The beats at the end are a pain, but you look incredibly suave when you replay yourself doing them perfectly :lol

Osorio

Eggo said:

Theres a reason why you start at breezin, then cruisin, then sweatin, then hard rock. Thats EBA's way of practicing. Its a way for the game to have some replay value. It still has replay value to me to this very day, and I got it the first day. Try man, its a game that should be appreciated!

And just to empathize, canned heat really is one of the worst songs to play in terms of EBA's style of gameplay. That one and Material Girl. But try man, try!

Narag

Osorio said:
Theres a reason why you start at breezin, then cruisin, then sweatin, then hard rock. Thats EBA's way of practicing. Its a way for the game to have some replay value. It still has replay value to me to this very day, and I got it the first day. Try man, its a game that should be appreciated!

And just to empathize, canned heat really is one of the worst songs to play in terms of EBA's style of gameplay. That one and Material Girl. But try man, try!

Unsurprisngly the two I've been stuck on for months.

Osorio

Narag said:
Unsurprisngly the two I've been stuck on for months.

lol Material Girl sucks. Canned Heat is a great song, but I think people just get way into listening to the song that they forget to play. XD

Also, EBA's JJF cover is amazing. I'm not crazy about the original. :D

Osorio

Thats another things, you should definitely play this game WEARING HEADPHONES. Makes the game infinitely better!

Narag

Osorio said:
Thats another things, you should definitely play this game WEARING HEADPHONES. Makes the game infinitely better!

I feel anything on the DS needs to have headphones due to those shitty speakers.

iammeiam

Osorio said:
lol Material Girl sucks. Canned Heat is a great song, but I think people just get way into listening to the song that they forget to play.

I find this funny, because I found Material Girl really, really easy--I still haven't unlocked the cheerleaders (JJF beats me into a pool of submission every time; I'm not very good), but I've perfected Material Girl a couple of times.

iammeiam said:
I find this funny, because I found Material Girl really, really easy--I still haven't unlocked the cheerleaders (JJF beats me into a pool of submission every time; I'm not very good), but I've perfected Material Girl a couple of times.

I think I found the song so easy on account of being very familiar with the song before hand...it's probably the only reason I was able to beat Ready Steady Go without as much trouble as other people on Ouendan 1.

BSS

To me, EBA/Ouendan is the Guitar Hero for DS. Both games give me the same sense of accomplishment, and I play both games in a similar manner. You try, sometimes you fail, you learn the songs, you learn how to play, you get better, you improve your scores.

Going back and playing Guitar Hero on easy and medium have the exact same effect on me. Being not very interesting, and the note charts not making much sense at all. However on hard and expert, both games are ten tons of awesome.

TheGreatDave said:
I think I found the song so easy on account of being very familiar with the song before hand...it's probably the only reason I was able to beat Ready Steady Go without as much trouble as other people on Ouendan 1.

It's funny...after S-ranking JJF, my friend was having trouble beating Ready Steady Go on Sweatin' mode, and I beat it in one try :lol

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Death_Born said:
Uh, no...there's a tutorial, as well as "Breezin'" mode, and all the modes before your song. Also, you get unlimited replays by pressing start and "replay".

Osorio said:

Playing easier versions of songs is not going to get you any better at playing a song on a certain difficulty. It's a matter of memorizing where the taps have to go. What I want is the ability to practice the 3rd or 4th section of a song alone before I've beaten it.

Typically, playing a song in EBA is getting the rhythm down for the first part... then the second part... then I spend 5x as long learning the last two parts because I have to keep playing through the first two parts, which I already have down cold. Yes, it 'adds' to replay value, but it's not fun. I wish I could either avoid having to play the parts that I already know (by practicing the ones I need to memorize) or be able to fast forward through it because I know I can do the beginning parts. It's a really shoddy way to drag out replay value when you're increasing the tedium and frustration involved. It's poor game design. Again, if EBA were the only DS game I had, I would probably go through the final difficulty level as a challenge. But I have other games that I would rather play that are more fun right away. Besides, there is no online leaderboard to keep me competing for a higher score in this game, as compared to GH.

Death_Born said:
It's funny...after S-ranking JJF, my friend was having trouble beating Ready Steady Go on Sweatin' mode, and I beat it in one try :lol

The lyrical structure of that song would make it a bit of a nightmare if you weren't familiar with the melody before hand. I can see where people would have problems.

What I want is the ability to practice the 3rd or 4th section of a song alone before I've beaten it.

Letting you practice the same part of a song over and over would just make EBA easy as hell. For example, the last part of JJF. It's difficult because you have to replay the song up to that point. But why don't you just watch some replays on Youtube and get back to me?

OMG HEADPHONES FTMFW!!!!! am i going to join the legion of EBA fans? Will i ask for a mod to change the thread title mocking my ignorance??? IT IS NOT MY FAULT THE DS HAS SUCKY SPEAKERS!!!! :lol eggo have you played with headphones??? the game is now 1000x more playable!!!!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
MobiusPigeon said:
OMG HEADPHONES FTMFW!!!!! am i going to join the legion of EBA fans? Will i ask for a mod to change the thread title mocking my ignorance??? IT IS NOT MY FAULT THE DS HAS SUCKY SPEAKERS!!!! :lol eggo have you played with headphones??? the game is now 1000x more playable!!!!
And finally, he sees the light... :D

Haunted

MobiusPigeon said:
OMG HEADPHONES FTMFW!!!!! am i going to join the legion of EBA fans? Will i ask for a mod to change the thread title mocking my ignorance??? IT IS NOT MY FAULT THE DS HAS SUCKY SPEAKERS!!!! eggo have you played with headphones??? the game is now 1000x more playable!!!!
:lol No one can resist EBA.

Chris Michael said:
I just bought this game. Like 10 minutes ago.

Hope I like it.
Make a thread about it if you don't.

don't worry, it's awesome.

Elite Beat Ouendan is one of those series that is just kind of okay until it clicks.

When it clicks, you'll find yourself loving the hell out of it. Unless it's not your kind of game, then hate away. It's not like it's poorly made or anything, though.

Narag

Death_Born said:
Don't forget: press the green circles an instant *after* you hear the main beat.

Great tip. Finally cleared this and Material Girl. :D Nice to see a GAF thread about actual gaming for a change.

Top Bottom