• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Beat Agents...The insane ramblings of Mobius Pigeon (now with YTMND)

Kusagari

MobiusPigeon said:
do i have to complete *everything* in 2 star mode?

Yes but well 2 star mode is all pretty easy, the later stages will give you an example of how insane 3 star mode can get. The first 5 stages on 2 star mode are easy shit.

YYZ

I didn't like it either, the music is just bad combined with having to hit the stupid circles that clutter the screen. I really like DDR too, with a proper pad. I can't say I love rhythm games too much, but I'm thinking of getting Rock Band because the guitar looks to be a lot better.

I don't think it's a knock on EBA, but the fact that I like to move around more with rhythm games (more challenging). Just wasn't my cup of tea. The intentional stupidity of the game's story and storytelling really did not help as well.

Cmagus

I felt the same way about some of the songs in Ouendan 2.I noticed a few don't time with the music from time to time.The stage with the figure skater the powerbar didn't keep up with the stuff on screen and no matter how well you do it still always drops on the first part.Still Ouendan 2 is still the best in the 3 games for me at least plus it has good music.

Amir0x

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
Wait...The stories suck? The stories in EBA are fantastic! So completely and incredibly goofy. Guy has to take care of the kids to impress the lady but all he knows is football...What's not to love???

That dude was a dick, he said he'd leave if the kids don't stfu!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You know, it's possible to not enjoy a game without getting mad at people who do or having a meltdown about it. It's not like everyone's on crack, you just don't happen to enjoy a game that many people do.

GCQuinton

Amir0x said:
I admit I didn't care much for the stories, but I found the Christmas Story and the Weather Lady story pretty nice. I mean, just 'cause the first was unexpectedly depressing and the second was really sweet.

Yeah, really. "A Christmas Gift" completely caught me off guard the first time I played it :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
GCQuinton said:
Yeah, really. "A Christmas Gift" completely caught me off guard the first time I played it :lol
Not to mention the cover of the song ws incredibly well done.

tokkun

The game has a really weird learning curve. Rhythm-action is one of my main genres, yet I had a pretty tough time for my first hour or so of EBA. The lowest difficulty is absurdly easy, but I struggled reading the notes on medium.

However, by the time I beat medium, I had gotten the groove of the game, and I had great fun with the upper two difficulties.

laserbeam

Banned
I think EBA is great fun and a quirky game. like others said some of the stories are totally absurd and others can fall under all sorts of catagories. A Christmas Story was definetly one of those stories you wouldnt expect.

Laughed the the Oil tycoon going broke one. gets his ass kicked out by the gold digger then still works to get her back.

Well yeah, GAF can overhype things, and that leads to disappointment. But EBA is a high quality, handheld rhythm game for sure. Not everyone's cup of tea, but they did a fantastic job and it's unique and original. I can't personally understand why someone would have a problem with the stories, either. Is it that they're just too absurd? They add a ton of humor to the game.

donny2112

MobiusPigeon said:
i've played about 5 songs on the 2 star level

/thread

From the last half of Cruisin' through
Hard Rock
is the "real" game. I never even played Breezin' until after finishing
Hard Rock
, and I hated Breezin'. If that's what you played, then you're right about it not requiring real rhythm. Lock this thread, play at least through
Sweatin'
, then you will be in a good position to rate this game.

Personally, I enjoy going for Perfects on all the levels. It's amazing what you can do with this game's well-planned difficulty curve. :D

Helzown

MobiusPigeon said:
Fn GAF and its hype for certain games. I wasted $30 on this shit. GAF you owe me $30. :lol BU BU BU OUENDAN!!!! BU BU BU OUENDAN!!!! will you people hype anything thats slightly quirky and japanese? The music sucks, the gameplay sucks, the stories that go with the music SUCK too and so does everyone that hyped this POS game. The only thing good about this game is how sharp the video looks on my DSLs screen. Otherwise WTF. wait a sec...didnt Reggie hype this game or something? Is that why is recieved all the hype here? Well guess what Reggie....ELITE BEAT AGENTS SUCKS AND ITS NOT FUN. maybe i'm missing something? maybe there's more to the trio of goons doing ballet while i tap out "note hits" that dont seem to even require any real rhythm like in games such as frequency or guitar hero. i give EBA 4 out of 5 steaming piles of CRAP. :D

BU BU BU I bought a game that someone said was good, and... OMG ITS LIKE TOTALLY NOT!

If you wanna go by GAF recommendations, fine... but if you're not gonna research the game, and find out what it's about before you buy it... YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE THE GAME.

Narag said:
From the VC sales thread:

From the gaming goods pickup thread:

Is this really necessary?

Mad Warez Skillz can't be appreciated enough.

My only problem with the Ouendan/EBA series now is that the game has gone from lasting me nearly a year (Ouendan) to 3 days (Ouendan 2). Once you learn it, you can pretty much breeze though to the end of **** without too much trouble.

Banned
I played this game for a few hours and found it pretty boring, but that's also because the songs were pretty horrible for the most part. I think i'd prefer non licensed songs.

iammeiam

MobiusPigeon said:
maybe its the "HIT" noise thats throwing me off because this is the first rhythm game i've played where i dont feel connected to the music AT ALL.

FWIW, this is probably the most challenging part of the Ouendan/EBA games for me--trying to figure out exactly where the beats go to get a perfect every time. On the first few levels you can get by with 50s and 100s almost across the board, and the notes will be spaced pretty far apart, which can make it hard to find the rhythym. Later levels are more demanding, and faster-paced, so the beats sort of meld with the song.

The biggest advantages of the one- and two-star levels are being able to actually take in the story, and a chance to familiarize yourself with a song you may not have heard before.

If you really need confirmation that it gets "better", you can always YouTube for one of the levels you've played on Cheerleader mode.

Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan are not games.

THEY ARE WORKS OF ART!

The music sucks, the gameplay sucks, the stories that go with the music SUCK too and so does everyone that hyped this POS game

What were you expecting, Shakespeare? This game is one of the best on DS, and that's a fact. Dissing Ouendan/EBA is like dissing Picasso because you can't understand what he painted.

And BTW, I S-ranked JJF on Hard Rock =)

61tgobo.gif

Narag said:
From the VC sales thread:

From the gaming goods pickup thread:

From this thread:

Is this really necessary?

Whoa, acidviper openly admitted that he pirates games several times? Ouch. Isn't that a permaban/extended-ban on GAF, or is it only if you try to sell pirated stuff?

Yeah I didn't like it either. Although I only owned it for a few weeks. I'm really not a fan of japanimation or japanese culture (just cause I live in Vancouver, BC where we are pounded with asian culture - nothing against the people of course). Everything was really meh to me.

But obviously people love it so I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I didn't like EBA either. Before you get all up in arms, I played through the *** difficulty and stopped on JJF. I can beat it. I just choose not to. EBA is not fun. It's tedious. It's patti-cake with a touch screen.

The core gameplay revolves around repetition and memorization which is tedious and makes me feel like I'm in kindergarten. Whereas a game like Guitar Hero is more based on reflexes... at least that's what it feels like to me. Yes, there is repetition in all music games, but the lack of a practice option really hurt EBA. I would often find myself in a situation where I can beat 2 or 3 sections of a song, but I have to keep redoing them while memorizing where I have to tap for the final section. Sometimes I would get stuck on the spinner at the end too because I'm using a stylus and not a full-fledged pointer pen like I've seen used in Youtube videos (seems to make precision tapping and spinning much easier).

The bottom line is my time is too valuable to spend wasted on suffering through the final difficulty of EBA. If I didn't have other games to play, I would probably go back and beat it, but I'd rather play GH2 on Expert or even Sudokoro on my DS to keep the brain sharp. Tedious games FTL.

Oh, I will say this, the stories were fun and entertaining the first time through. The 30th time though, they tend to lose their charm. That ninja inheriting the company business sucked too because the taps were all off-beat from the song. Also, Puzzle Quest or the original Phoenix Wright are much better games than EBA.

lookatalldem_FROGS said:
Yeah I didn't like it either. Although I only owned it for a few weeks. I'm really not a fan of japanimation or japanese culture

Actually, EBA/Ouendan used an atypical style of anime.

The core gameplay revolves around repetition and memorization which is tedious and makes me feel like I'm in kindergarten.

RPGs say hi! Since when was EBA more tedious than a grind?

Eggo said:
The bottom line is my time is too valuable to spend wasted on suffering through the final difficulty of EBA. If I didn't have other games to play, I would probably go back and beat it, but I'd rather play GH2 on Expert or even Sudokoro on my DS to keep the brain sharp. Tedious games FTL.

What? GH2 on expert is the very definition of tedious. That's a fault of the set list, though, which lacks the diversity of the GH1 songs.

Salmonax

I found the song selection pretty lousy, but overall the gameplay was reasonably fun and the presentation was fun and quirky. I don't have an intense love for the game like many do, but I don't regret getting it.

Banned
Death_Born said:
Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan are not games. THEY ARE WORKS OF ART!

What were you expecting, Shakespeare? This game is one of the best on DS, and that's a fact. Dissing Ouendan/EBA is like dissing Picasso because you can't understand what he painted.

!?!??!

And also, it's nothing like that. At all.

666 said:
!?!??!

And also, it's nothing like that. At all.

What I meant to say was that the gameplay was a work of art, though the stories were corny. But that's part of their charm, since they're a lot more fun if they're not serious.

And pray tell, why is it "nothing like that?"

DyTonic

Banned
I agree with the OP I was hyped into buying FF3 and EBA. Turns out both those games almost made me quit gaming, seriously...

DyobolikaL. said:
I agree with the OP I was hyped into buying FF3 and EBA. Turns out both those games almost made me quit gaming, seriously...

This it too much! I...can't.....

HEEEEEEEEEEEEALP!!!

Tain

EBA surprised me. I had a good time with it. I'm not sure I'll be replaying it all that much, but the presentation raises it above many of the other highly praised music games (lol Frequency) that similarly fall short for me.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
DyobolikaL. said:
what?

Banned
Death_Born said:
What I meant to say was that the gameplay was a work of art, though the stories were corny. But that's part of their charm, since they're a lot more fun if they're not serious.

And pray tell, why is it "nothing like that?"

Comparing a rhythm games gameplay to Picasso... Serious???

StranGER

Amir0x said:
while I don't think MobiusPigeon gave any valid reason for disliking the game (or at least any real explanation except to 'cause trolls to come out), I'm pretty sure this comment here is not true. There's lots of valid reasons to dislike rhythm games, and it's not only based on if you like the genre or not. Interface, music selection, style and even options (for example, Guitar Hero II is better than Guitar Hero I partially because of the improved practice mode!).

anyone know if GH 2 is coming out with a wirless guitar for the 360?
or maybe this all 80's version i keep hearing about?

anyone know if the cure is on or will be on any of them?

Osorio

MobiusPigeon said:
Fn GAF and its hype for certain games. I wasted $30 on this shit. GAF you owe me $30. :lol BU BU BU OUENDAN!!!! BU BU BU OUENDAN!!!! will you people hype anything thats slightly quirky and japanese? The music sucks, the gameplay sucks, the stories that go with the music SUCK too and so does everyone that hyped this POS game. The only thing good about this game is how sharp the video looks on my DSLs screen. Otherwise WTF. wait a sec...didnt Reggie hype this game or something? Is that why is recieved all the hype here? Well guess what Reggie....ELITE BEAT AGENTS SUCKS AND ITS NOT FUN. maybe i'm missing something? maybe there's more to the trio of goons doing ballet while i tap out "note hits" that dont seem to even require any real rhythm like in games such as frequency or guitar hero. i give EBA 4 out of 5 steaming piles of CRAP. :D

I am almost certain that you are playing on breezin. Get off that pussy level, get up to hard rock and you will have fun. If you don't, you should not have a DS. EBA is easily one of the most fun games for the DS. Try again.

ok i seriously almost threw my Fn DSL across the damn room. WTF is wrong with CANNED ****ING HEAT????? OMG!!!! and i ****ing LOVE jamiroquai!!! NONE OF THE F*CKING TAPS MATCH ANY OF THE ****ING NOTES OR SOUNDS!!!! :lol :lol I got further TURNING THE DAMN SOUND DOWN i shit you not. I dont think i've been this frustrated with a game in my life! Why do i love rhythm games? BECAUSE I LOVE MUSIC. WHAT THE F ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO WHEN THE ONSCREEN CUES DONT MATCH ANYTHING IN THE MUSIC????? holy crap. I think i figured out why i dont like this game and eggo kinda hit on it. I mentioned earlier that i just dont feel connected to the music. The gameplay is disconnected from the music in some way. Maybe its the touch screen, maybe its the way you input but somethings just OFF.

LakeEarth

:lol Holy crap, as I was reading this thread I was gonna make a comment "wait till he gets to Canned Heat" but forgot about it. Yes, Canned Heat is the wall most people hit their first time and yes its taps are oddly placed.

LakeEarth said:
:lol Holy crap, as I was reading this thread I was gonna make a comment "wait till he gets to Canned Heat" but forgot about it. Yes, Canned Heat is the wall most people hit their first time and yes its taps are oddly placed.
:lol :lol :lol :lol THANKS FOR THE DAMN WARNING i'm in tears laughing. jesus christ this is torture.

Top Bottom