• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

i used to listen to a lot of emo music when i was a teen but now the only band i still listen to is MCR but i'm not even sure if i would call the emo. a lot of people do though.

i would love to find a band that was similar to them. i've been way out of the whole emo/punk/pop/rock thing for years. i don't recognise a lot of bands anymore in the magazines i used to buy.

Creeper close enough?

Does everyone here like Spraynard?

Spraynards cool

I love Spraynard

Punknews and Punktastic are also pretty good

Also Little Elephant on Youtube do sessions with emo bands quite often

This Sidekicks video is one of my favorites.

So I listened to the new Say Anything album and there are 4 songs on there that are easily the best stuff he's done since IARB. It's a difficult album to get into but once you get on board with what it's trying to do it's pretty great. Half of the album is a love letter to modern emo so that's pretty cool too.

kiguel182

I've discovered Pinegrove recently and I think their record "Cardinal" is pretty cool. I would recommend it for sure if you are looking for some emotionally charged stuff (and if you are in the Emo thread then you are!). It's Emo meets some Americana and it works pretty well.

I've discovered Pinegrove recently and I think their record "Cardinal" is pretty cool. I would recommend it for sure if you are looking for some emotionally charged stuff (and if you are in the Emo thread then you are!). It's Emo meets some Americana and it works pretty well.

Pinegrove is awesome. Stoked to see them in about 2 months.

Also so many people in the thread now haha

kiguel182

A European emo fan? I mourn for you.

Except you did just get that mewithoutyou TWIABP tour. Or was that just UK?

the thread has slowed again :(

Not only am I an european fan, I'm from Portugal so I don't get all the cool central Europe tours. I had to travel to Paris to watch Brand New and I'll have to go to Berlin for an eventual Hotelier gig. Life's hard here for an emo fan...

Man, we totally jinxed it. The Hotelier needs to release another single!

Lender

Not only am I an european fan, I'm from Portugal so I don't get all the cool central Europe tours. I had to travel to Paris to watch Brand New and I'll have to go to Berlin for an eventual Hotelier gig. Life's hard here for an emo fan...

I'm from Belgium, so I can count myself lucky since a lot of bands I like also play in Belgium when touring Europe. Saw The Hotelier last year at Groezrock, and saw Brand New as well in Brussels a couple of months ago. And if everything goes right I'm seeing Beach Slang tomorrow night as well in Antwerp.

Let's hope The Hotelier does a European Tour this summer. And no festival, but a music hall please. I love festivals, but a band like The Hotelier will really be at it's best in a small, cosy music hall.

Kawl_USC

A European emo fan? I mourn for you.

Except you did just get that mewithoutyou TWIABP tour. Or was that just UK?

the thread has slowed again :(

You have to be happy with the progress we have shown! Tbh on a site like GAF, there is probably not too too many emo fans.

Theresdozensofus.gif

But going back to Modern Baseballs latest EP from last year, I finally gave it an honest shot and I'm really digging it. Was worried about them heading in a new direction after not really loving the new Front Bottoms album, but if it's like this EP I think I'm gonna love it.
I don't care if it's pop punk and not real emo damnit

kiguel182

I'm from Belgium, so I can count myself lucky since a lot of bands I like also play in Belgium when touring Europe. Saw The Hotelier last year at Groezrock, and saw Brand New as well in Brussels a couple of months ago. And if everything goes right I'm seeing Beach Slang tomorrow night as well in Antwerp.

Let's hope The Hotelier does a European Tour this summer. And no festival, but a music hall please. I love festivals, but a band like The Hotelier will really be at it's best in a small, cosy music hall.

Emo is pretty non-existant here, sucks. But I have friends in Paris and Berlin so at least I have a place to stay if I want to see someone live there. And it gives me an excuse to travel I guess. It's still a bummer.

Yeah that should help.

I may start encorporating a good amount of "The Wave" into my posts, so bands such as La Dispute, Touche Amore, Pianos Become the Teeth, etc and then preceding bands like Balance and Compsure. They have emo influence but aren't necessarily emo even though a lot of people consider PBTT to be emo.

We could also use some more skramz/screamo in here. Suis La Lune is by far my favorite on of those, bring a post-rock feel to it as well.

But damn man.. I have so many shows that roll through where I live and a decent amount of local shows. At most I have to drive 2 hours for something killer that I don't want to miss if it is skipping my town for whatever reason.

Yeah that should help.

I may start encorporating a good amount of "The Wave" into my posts, so bands such as La Dispute, Touche Amore, Pianos Become the Teeth, etc and then preceding bands like Balance and Compsure. They have emo influence but aren't necessarily emo even though a lot of people consider PBTT to be emo.

We could also use some more skramz/screamo in here. Suis La Lune is by far my favorite on of those, bring a post-rock feel to it as well

Emo is so hard for me to define personally, like I consider La Dispute, Touché Amore, and PBTT to be emo. But it's so hard to say what's emo, what's indie rock, what's punk, pop punk, math rock, post hardcore etc. They all borrow from each other and bleed into each other so much I don't know where to put the lines.

I mean, not that it matters at all. It's all just music and people like what they like regardless of what you want to call it but when posting in a thread about "emo" it's hard to know what should be included.

Emo is so hard for me to define personally, like I consider La Dispute, Touché Amore, and PBTT to be emo. But it's so hard to say what's indie rock, what is punk, pop punk, math rock, post hardcore etc. They all borrow from each other and bleed into each other.

Well there are a bunch of different movements within emo too and a lot of related genres have emo influences.

I just want any excuse to talk about 3 of my all time favorite bands, the above mentioned. Lol

kris.

Banned
We could also use some more skramz/screamo in here. Suis La Lune is by far my favorite on of those, bring a post-rock feel to it as well.

god i love suis la lune. i guess we could define emo as more of a blanket term for straight emo bands plus more emo-influenced hardcore/skramz bands like suis la lune and la dispute and touche for this thread?

kiguel182

god i love suis la lune. i guess we could define emo as more of a blanket term for straight emo bands plus more emo-influenced hardcore/skramz bands like suis la lune and la dispute and touche for this thread?

I say let's talk about whatever we want. Most people know based on instinct if a band will be liked around here or not.

Worst case scenario people will not respond or not like.

Discussing what is or isn't emo is very first page.

I say let's talk about whatever we want. Most people know based on instinct if a band will be liked around here or not.

Worst case scenario people will not respond or not like.

Discussing what is or isn't emo is very first page.

All I don't want is alternative goth rock posts and bad post-hardcore scenesters that get labeled "emo" which it very much isn't.

kris.

Banned
man, there are some neat shows coming up in the next few months in kc. pumped for Turnover/Sorority Noise and TWIABP/Into It. Over It

Kawl_USC

man, there are some neat shows coming up in the next few months in kc. pumped for Turnover/Sorority Noise and TWIABP/Into It. Over It

Saw Turnover a few months back and those guys were awesome. Jealous you are seeing them with Sorority Noise, we saw them with like 3 little local bands.

I just notice that the TWIABP/IIOI show here in New Orleans also has Pinegrove on it, who's new album I've just been checking out and is freaking sweet. Way amped for that show in a few months now.

Foxing and O'Brother as well. BAsement is doing a US tour too. Same with the Empire Empire farewell tour and then we also have mewithoutyou and SAy Anything touring together and Thirce/La Dispute/Gates tour

On the earlier end of emo, but I got to see Drive Like Jehu last night and they were impressive. Rick Forberg still has his young punkass voice. Shit was loud. My earplugs fell off during the last few songs and my hearing immediately got blown out. Pretty satisfying to hear some of my favorites off Yank Crime; need to give their S/T some more listens.

Holy shit

cI9rSPn.jpg

Which is also directly after Groezrock, so I imagine there may be some crossover, though I think Rozwell Kid have already been announced

Speaking of older emo bands, Limbeck is doing their first full band show in four years in Phoenix this weekend. The GF and I are driving out from KY and making a road trip out of it.

I'm pretty stoked about the upcoming IIOI/TWIABP tour but mainly for The Sidekicks and Pinegrove. The Sidekicks are fantastic and Pinegrove's essentially an east coast Limbeck. Gonna try to hit STL, Columbus, and Cleveland.

kiguel182

That Hotelier/Into.It Over it tour is right in the middle of my semestre AND in the middle of the week. Taking a quick trip to Berlin is a bad idea. Sucks I'm going to miss it.

That Hotelier/Into.It Over it tour is right in the middle of my semestre AND in the middle of the week. Taking a quick trip to Berlin is a bad idea. Sucks I'm going to miss it.

That sucks man. Such a killer tour. I wonder who The Hotelier will be with for their NA run.

Forgot to post this the other day but

Perspective, A Lonely Hand to Hold

Lions

and Sports

are releasing a three way split. Perspective song

Super stoked to hear some new tunes especially from Lions who are fucking incredible.

Lions- MTNZ ep
This EP is one of my all time favorites, it is so fucking incredible, do yourself a favor and check it out. It is free digitally on their bandcamp so grab it.

Top Bottom