• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

kiguel182

I totally get why people don't like the new Say Anything but after Hebrews doing nothing for me this was a nice surprise.

Maybe I'm less sensitive to certain aspects of it but I like it. Especially the first two songs. The second one is great when it becomes a Tiny Moving Parts song in the middle.

Kawl_USC

Basement's new album, Promise Everything is now available.

I actually really fucking like it. I haven't been the biggest fan of their older stuff but I am glad I pulled the trigger on the Yellow/orange version of the LP. Fantastic album so far.

Also I noticed no one has ever posted about Bay Faction. I higly recommend them

Bay Faction- Jasper Wildlife Assoc.

Fucking crushing this album. Bay Faction is so good. Between this and Runaway Brother I'm super excited for the future releases.

Kawl_USC

Bay Faction is so good and is groovy as hell. The album is so fucking good. It's also free on their bandcamp

Maybe I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to this song due to the time of the year in New Orleans, but Sasquatch .22 is legit a super song lyrically (other songs on this album are probably stronger musically).

Dogg448

I totally get why people don't like the new Say Anything but after Hebrews doing nothing for me this was a nice surprise.

Maybe I'm less sensitive to certain aspects of it but I like it. Especially the first two songs. The second one is great when it becomes a Tiny Moving Parts song in the middle.

Hey don't worry I liked the album too. I just wish the mixing could have been a little better. I mean lo-fi is good and all but is it too much to ask for my ears not to bleed especially at the end of the amazing song that is 17 coked up speeding?

Even with the last half of the album not being as good as the first it's still way better than Anarchy, My Dear.

Maybe I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to this song due to the time of the year in New Orleans, but Sasquatch .22 is legit a super song lyrically (other songs on this album are probably stronger musically).

Super good.

Glad you like em. Everyone else here needs to check them out.

Also just curious to what everyone is listening to these days? I have been just outside emo recently mainly listening to La Dispute and Touché Amoré with a hint of Basement and Brand New thrown in.

Also just curious to what everyone is listening to these days? I have been just outside emo recently mainly listening to La Dispute and Touché Amoré with a hint of Basement and Brand New thrown in.

Damn, I also went back to Wildlife for the first time in a while recently. King Park still kills me with how good it is. I fell in love the first time I heard it. I can't believe it will be five years this fall. I love Somewhere at the Bottom as a whole more but that song is definitely in my top 5 of all time.

I should go back to Touche Amore too. I haven't listened to them since is survived by came out. It was really good though as I remember. I listened to the new Basement and it's okay. I am going to see them later this month in Hamburg but I am way more excited for Tigers Jaw. I haven't seen Tigers Jaw since Charmer came out so it will be good to hear some of the new songs even if self-titled is still my favorite.

I've mostly been going back and listening to ska punk lately and really missing Progress era Rx Bandits. Actually I've been missing ska in general. At least emo is churning out good new bands on the regular. I haven't been excited about a new ska band since We Are the Union and Less Than Jake is still my all time favorite band.

Sorry for the ska regression but on topic of emo bands is anyone else stoked for the new I Love Your Lifestyle. It sounds promising.

Also I just picked up The Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island Burn on vinyl last weekend since it was surprisingly missing from my collection. I still love how vivid the lyrics are and it still holds up.

Kawl_USC

I think it was you who also recommended runaway brother? Cause those two recommendations have been great. I was pretty fucked up from Mardi Gras and my main priority at 2 in the morning was texting my buddy to check out bay faction. So keep it up haha.

But mainly those two albums recently with some home like no place there is for good measure.

I think it was you who also recommended runaway brother? Cause those two recommendations have been great. I was pretty fucked up from Mardi Gras and my main priority at 2 in the morning was texting my buddy to check out bay faction. So keep it up haha.

But mainly those two albums recently with some home like no place there is for good measure.

I was wondering why you quoted me twice :lol makes sense now.

But another gaffer had them in his top 3 albums and then I checked them out and championed Runaway Brother.

Oh check out this band Lions- Arizona the Second

Lions's whole MTNZ ep is absolutely incredible. They aren't exactly emo but they have a lot of emo influences.

The new Basement record, the new Frameworks EP, older stuff by Teen Suicide, Run Forever (their self titled album came out last year it slipped by me until recently but it's really good) and Title Fight as well.

Yeah Plainclothes is awesome as well. So cool that dude made his own label and pressed Bay Faction and Plainclothes. I have Bay Faction on wax and am looking to add Plainclothes to it

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
The Hotelier releases their new album "Goodness" in May

Here's the album trailer: (NSFW - old nudists towards the end of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hng8w92_BV8&feature=youtu.be

Really good acoustic number. As a massive fan of Home, Like No Place is There, I am beyond stoked for anything from this band.

I am so freaking excited for this. Both this and . . . It Never Goes Out are some of my favorite pieces of music in recent years.

kiguel182

The Hotelier releases their new album "Goodness" in May

Here's the album trailer: (NSFW - old nudists towards the end of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hng8w92_BV8&feature=youtu.be

Really good acoustic number. As a massive fan of Home, Like No Place is There, I am beyond stoked for anything from this band.

Can't wait for this, it's going to be so so good I'm sure.

Can you guys suggest me some bands like brand new?

I'd say the last Citizen record is very Brand New like. Also, the new Basement.

I'm not good at recommending bands but this is what I got.

Micapo

I've been listening to Foxing a lot lately,,, Easily my most listened to band this winter. I think both albums are brilliant and can't understand that there's not more hype surrounding them.

Are there any other bands with the same kind of vibe and lyrical style emogaf can recommend? The Hotelier seems popular like crazy here but anything else?

kris.

Banned
hahaha saw that Hotelier vid on my facebook feed with no idea that it'd be NSFW and enjoyed the hell out of it until the nudists showed up. i was at work. awkward. still pumped as hell, home was easily my 2014 aoty

Yo me and Kawl and sometimes Kiguel have been bumping this thread. Nice to see some other guys get in here lol

Hotelier album is a Martin Shkreli tribute album btw

jk

Super stoked for it

Johnny, what sites and shit you check up on to stay on top of new releases/show announcements and what not?

I seriously use facebook and twitter solely for this reason.

Also /r/emo over on reddit is actually a pretty cool and active community that I am apart of over there, reddit for the most part sucks though. But it gets all the news pretty quickly and a good amount of users that post regularly. I have a different username over there. But I am a pretty prominent member on the board lol even if you don't ever post there if you check it regularly you will see a lot fo stuff posted. A nice accumlation site, also Sophie's Floorboard is pretty cool too.

OH in other news Empire! Empire! is breaking up. They have a short farewell tour this spring https://empireempire.bandcamp.com all there stuff is pay what you want on bandcamp. Farewell dudes and dudette! RIP

First Marietta and now Empire :(

kiguel182

The website I use to discover music is absolutepunk.net. I just go to the reviews and check stuff that has an high score or that it seems interesting. So far it's how I've discovered 90 per cent of the music I listen to.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i used to listen to a lot of emo music when i was a teen but now the only band i still listen to is MCR but i'm not even sure if i would call the emo. a lot of people do though.

i would love to find a band that was similar to them. i've been way out of the whole emo/punk/pop/rock thing for years. i don't recognise a lot of bands anymore in the magazines i used to buy.

Top Bottom