• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

myco666

Listen to The Hotelier's first album, Home Like Noplace is There. Fucking incredible album and is what put them on the map for emo.

I would check out TWIABP and Foxing for more essential revival stuff as well as Marietta (RIP) Snowing, Prawn, TIny Moving Parts, Everyone Everywhere, Mom Jeans, Fox Wound, Grandview and Hightide Hotel. (there are many more)

I am not big into Modern Baseball but for more pop-punk emo, Posture and the Grizzly's I am Satan is a must listen and of course Brand New. Maybe some A Will Away as well and wash it down with some Runaway Brother.

Thanks! Will put these in the what-I-still-need-to-listen-to list.

someone gimme some anti-nazi punk stuff pls thanks buds

Aus-Rotten - Fuck Nazi Sympathy
Doom - Nazi Die
Endstand - Destroy Fascism
Last Drop - What's Left?
Nasty - Zero Tolerance
Wolf Down - Tables Will Turn

Also couple of songs in finnish if interested.

Aivolävistys - Vastaan Fasismia (translates into Against Fascism)
Aivolävistys - Mistä on Pienet Fasistit Tehty? (translates into What are small fascists made of?)

this old-ass video of coheed and cambria playing neverender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMl1z0SmLg

claudio drops his pick through the outro and just plays it off like nothing happened

also i miss this coheed and wish they'd go back to this kinda shit :(

I saw them early this year and they were great. Claudio did express surprise that the show was sold out (Royal Oak Music Theater, Michigan), because him and the band were getting old :(

kris.

Banned
I saw them early this year and they were great. Claudio did express surprise that the show was sold out (Royal Oak Music Theater, Michigan), because him and the band were getting old :(

don't get me wrong, i still love them and always will, but their last few albums have been super ehhhh to me. especially the last one. but i'll still see them whenever they're in town and i'll never stop jamming their first 4 albums no matter how old i get. dudes introduced me to such a wide array of music with IKSSE3 and GA1.

don't get me wrong, i still love them and always will, but their last few albums have been super ehhhh to me. especially the last one. but i'll still see them whenever they're in town and i'll never stop jamming their first 4 albums no matter how old i get. dudes introduced me to such a wide array of music with IKSSE3 and GA1.

I really love both Aftermans and Colour, Black Rainbow is probably the only one I'm lukewarm on, and only like half of it, I like 4 or so songs.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just realised I could logistically go see The Hotelier in January. I don't turn down that chance, right?

Just realised I could logistically go see The Hotelier in January. I don't turn down that chance, right?

You never turn down a chance to see an emo band.

Seriously though, with the bands so susceptible to breaking up go every chance you get if you love that band.

myco666

Yeah thats not really hardcore.

Also this Home Like NoPlace is There is such an amazing record.

Any of you guys got any good records from black friday sales?

edit.
I know its not emo but I really find it hilarious that Refused did a Black Friday exclusive release.

chris121580

Apparently a little late on this one but the new Moose Blood album is so good. I heard Knuckles on Alt Nation and that got me turned on to them. One of my fav albums of the year easily

kiguel182

Sorority Noise > Old Gray.

I mean, they are both awesome but SN is much more my thing.

Glad he does both so we both get what we want :p

Hardcore is such a mercurial title, so it's really no surprise to see all kinds of powerviolence getting thrown around... but that OP link is straight up metal. I can't tell if MJ put it best "that's not hardcore" or Olympia did. Weak thread that actually went somewhere, surprisingly.

But to me, the best hardcore is that original wave of very late 70s to mid 80s. This is a great book on it. Sloppy and meandering, constantly doubling back on itself to make a point that was already made, but that seems natural to the subject matter.

And speaking of Sorority Noise, their most recent album isn't on Spotify anymore. Any idea why?

Any of you guys got any good records from black friday sales?

edit.
I know its not emo but I really find it hilarious that Refused did a Black Friday exclusive release.

I was going to get a Big Star demos album but ended up finding a (previous?) Record Store Day release of So Alone by Johnny Thunders. Double album, poster thing, little booklet... I just had to.

I've been holding off on picking it up so I can track down an OG press but finally caved. A while back, I caved on a White Light/White Heat repress and then not a month later, found an OG press that I wavered on and eventually passed. If I didn't have that clean 25th anniversary or whatever, I would've been all over the scuffed OG with a skip on Sister Ray in a heartbeat.

myco666

MJ is right Old Gray > Sorority Noise.

I was going to get a Big Star demos album but ended up finding a (previous?) Record Store Day release of So Alone by Johnny Thunders. Double album, poster thing, little booklet... I just had to.

I've been holding off on picking it up so I can track down an OG press but finally caved. A while back, I caved on a White Light/White Heat repress and then not a month later, found an OG press that I wavered on and eventually passed. If I didn't have that clean 25th anniversary or whatever, I would've been all over the scuffed OG with a skip on Sister Ray in a heartbeat.

How much was that White Light/White Heat? For some reason I only have Velvet Underground & Nico even though I like all of their albums.

MJ is right Old Gray > Sorority Noise.

How much was that White Light/White Heat? For some reason I only have Velvet Underground & Nico even though I like all of their albums.

Maybe like 25 bucks or so? I forget. I typo'ed anyway, it was supposed to say 45th anniversary, not 25th.

The original one was going to be cheap, so I really regret not adding it in. I was haggling with a guy and had a good stack going, so it was going to be part of a package thing. I ended up getting an absolutely perfect London Calling OG as part of the stack. I forget the details about the rest, but it was a good haul.

kris.

Banned
Hardcore is such a mercurial title, so it's really no surprise to see all kinds of powerviolence getting thrown around... but that OP link is straight up metal. I can't tell if MJ put it best "that's not hardcore" or Olympia did. Weak thread that actually went somewhere, surprisingly.

But to me, the best hardcore is that original wave of very late 70s to mid 80s. This is a great book on it. Sloppy and meandering, constantly doubling back on itself to make a point that was already made, but that seems natural to the subject matter.

I hate myself for this, but I get so annoyed over genre ignorance. Powerviolence is a thing. Deathcore is a thing. Grindcore is a thing. It bugs me when people just throw shit under an umbrella term. Just like when people try and call pop punk shit emo because someone told them it was emo once.

I hate myself for this, but I get so annoyed over genre ignorance. Powerviolence is a thing. Deathcore is a thing. Grindcore is a thing. It bugs me when people just throw shit under an umbrella term. Just like when people try and call pop punk shit emo because someone told them it was emo once.

well in the OPs defense, the Acacia Strain label themselves as hardcore when they are for sure deathcore

kiguel182

I totally forgot Standards came out this year.

That Ian list is solid.

I need to put my list together soon. I hope everyone here posts theirs!

kris.

Banned
I'll probably just throw out a list of 10 albums I really enjoyed or something. I can't rank things ever. Too much pressure.

olympia

Ian Cohen made a top 50 list: https://twitter.com/en_cohen/status/803587970137608192

Best Pitchfork contributor by far.

Yeah this list is so solid.

e: actually i take it back. I like the volume of emo on the list is nice but jimmy and cody over stage four? TBS over modern baseball? no dangers or hesitation wounds. no tmp? ian plz

YA14C4W.gif

the fox wound album is beyond good though. jank, hotelier, rosenstock and pinegrove are on nice and high spots

i'll post my dumb list soon

myco666

God this is so good. Debating myself if I should preorder this album or not. Do these records go out fast?

I used to be like this but I stopped caring when I realized it is too hard to keep track of everything. Also -core stuff usually goes right under the hardcore umbrella though I would argue deathcore is way more metal than hardcore. But with pop punk and emo isn't the pop punk the genre where emo took influences so saying pop punk act is emo is very wrong.

And yeah like MJ said bands tend to give themselves 'incorrect' genre labes sometimes so there is that too. Like Acacia Strain is basically deathcore (I guess) but the vocalist has said that he will do bad things to people if they say they are deathcore lol.

Genre ignorance used to bother me, too. My main gripe now is revisionism.

Like, there's a book about Husker Du that calls them fucking noise pop! So, can we call the Doors pre-Joy Division proto-synth? It never ends and I hate it. It gets even more nauseating when someone comes and calls a band the "first punk band" and starts the trial of influences to influences to influences.

Pitchfork is exceptionally bad at this whole revisionism thing. It's so transparently a grab at establishing groundwork for authenticity. They're really at a point where they try to swindle an opinion more than establishing one. I read a post somewhere that said, "7.0 means never having to say you're sorry," and it's dead on for the direction that site went.
Tiny Mix Tapes used to be the most reliable AOTY list, especially if you're into arty weird shit and noise, but they've fallen off badly.
SPIN had a few respectable calls, too. I haven't checked them out in a while, though.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
CrabCore is the only -core that was ever worth my time. Either theme your band around looking like some sort of crustacean or get out.

Yeah this list is so solid.

e: actually i take it back. I like the volume of emo on the list is nice but jimmy and cody over stage four? TBS over modern baseball? no dangers or hesitation wounds. no tmp? ian plz

YA14C4W.gif

the fox wound album is beyond good though. jank, hotelier, rosenstock and pinegrove are on nice and high spots

i'll post my dumb list soon

With these things I usually don't pay much attention to the order since making a ranked list with something as subjective as music is kinda weird and can be difficult. TMP is a glaring omission though.

Just got my TWIABP/Sorority Noise split. They still credit Derrick on Smoke & Felt. So I am super curious what they will actually sound like without Derrick since Body Without Organs is from Harmlessness days.

That Old Gray is pretty heavy. The centerpiece spoken word bit when the band starts pummeling and pummeling to the point that phrases get drowned out... woooo.

I'm finally giving that newest Pinegrove a listen. I think I could really like it if I spin it at a later date/time. I keep switching back to this Dear Landlord album or playing something like this bandcamp jam from a band called Cut Up. That, and Tender Defender and trying to figure out how I feel about Get Dead.

I'm liking "Cody" a little more now, too.

That Old Gray is pretty heavy. The centerpiece spoken word bit when the band starts pummeling and pummeling to the point that phrases get drowned out... woooo.

Yeah it is pretty fucking heavy...

I wish we got more like Everything is in Your Hands... butttt still a killer album

Yeah it is pretty fucking heavy...

I wish we got more like Everything is in Your Hands... butttt still a killer album

Agreed. A few more fleshed out songs to anchor the album would give it more oomph, I guess, but I can always appreciate when someone just goes with 50 seconds of just letting it all out there.

I'm a big fan of sequencing and pacing in an album. I don't typically use shuffle unless it's a playlist. This strikes me as an album that has to be played in order, and I like that.

Also, here's a new Joyce Manor video from possibly my favorite song on the new one: Joyce Manor - Eighteen

Gumby's Pizza gets a cameo!

olympia

new old gray kicks complete ass and is extremely what i needed

like blood from a stone is mostly not music but i dig it i guess

this album hits pretty close to home hmmmm

Top Bottom