• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

new old gray kicks complete ass and is extremely what i needed

like blood from a stone is mostly not music but i dig it i guess

this album hits pretty close to home hmmmm

I listened to it for hype before a job interview the other day. Just enough morbidity to keep the hype in check. I'll probably have to decline the job, though, based on pay. But it's super interesting so I don't know.

And today in non-emo news, I found a mint as fuck OG pressing of Blank Generation so I'm over the moon.

Going to back listen to some stuff from this year that I missed. The new From Indian Lakes record is pretty sweet. The new Dowsing is really good too.

SOOOOOO IT IS THAT TIME OF THE YEAR

I think we should do an AOTY thingy.

Do a top 10 list of those within the emo/hardcore/punk genres and stuff and maybe not name a Gaf emo album of the year but just see what everyone has been listening to!

So just post between now and the end of the year. I may do a tally and see a top 3 if it would be interesting enough but for now let's just share!

I will post mine later as I have some major thinking to do

akileese

Do a top 10 list of those within the emo/hardcore/punk genres and stuff and maybe not name a Gaf emo album of the year but just see what everyone has been listening to!

So just post between now and the end of the year. I may do a tally and see a top 3 if it would be interesting enough but for now let's just share!

I'd be okay with this. My album of the year is pretty easy but I've heard a lot that I really dug (I don't know why but I really like Cardinal by Pinegrove).

olympia

Going to back listen to some stuff from this year that I missed. The new From Indian Lakes record is pretty sweet. The new Dowsing is really good too.

Okay is really awesome. dowsing owns

listening to the new indian lakes now. pretty good

i was going to skip the new at the drive-in but TND said the track was good. but it's eh. the lyrics are hella bad haha

i'm down. i have some albums to catch up on. also lmao at your avatar

indian lakes was good. listening to culture abuse now. i forgot they put an album out this year lmao

myco666

This new Old Gray is so good. Have to get this on vinyl eventually.

Also got my BF order from BDHW finally and there was one extra download code for Manu Armata - Surpass the Master album. Not emo but if you like stuff like Terror and Madball check it out. If you like it and want the download code PM me.

Kawl_USC

I'd be okay with this. My album of the year is pretty easy but I've heard a lot that I really dug (I don't know why but I really like Cardinal by Pinegrove).
It's because Cardinal is a fantastic record

Do the records have to be emo?

I want to have Frank Ocean on my top 10 dammit!
Considering that av club article said we need to get behind the myth of modern baseball being in the emo revival, called hotelier pop punk, and said pinegrove was emo/alt-country, I'd say at this point the rules don't matter!

Also I just can't get into Goodness despite my best efforts. It's decent, but pales in comparison to Home in my opinion. Holy Ghost is by far my AotY if we are using play count as any type of metric.

akileese

It's because Cardinal is a fantastic record

Considering that av club article said we need to get behind the myth of modern baseball being in the emo revival, called hotelier pop punk, and said pinegrove was emo/alt-country, I'd say at this point the rules don't matter!

Also I just can't get into Goodness despite my best efforts. It's decent, but pales in comparison to Home in my opinion. Holy Ghost is by far my AotY if we are using play count as any type of metric.

Well I saw Pinegrove live the first time I'd ever heard them and I wasn't totally crazy about Evan's voice or singing style (at least live). When I listened to it on LP though I thought it was much better and mixed exceptionally. My wife felt the exact same way which makes me think he may have just had an off night live.

Kawl_USC

I mean dude comes off as a pretty big weiney in my opinion, which might be shaded by seeing his failed attempt at hitting on some possibly underage girls at a show.

But yea the album is just stellar.

1.) Stage Four
2.) Stage Four
3.) Stage Four
4.) Stage Four
5.) Goodness

this is really more me needing to listen to newer stuff. so I look forward to your lists :)

There's going to be a split coming up with Camp Cope and Cayetana: http://poisoncityestore.com/collections/frontpage/products/camp-cope-cayetana-split-7-splatter

The record looks pretty sweet.

I hit a point a few years ago where I was trying to do one of these end of the year lists, and I kept going back and forth with some super up-its-own-ass album and one that I had played the shit out of but was nothing progressive or fresh.

I had to accept that there's merit in trusting my gut, sometimes.

i'll list my favorite albums of the year but there's no way in hell i could order them.

Yeah, ordering will be pretty brutal. Worry will be somewhere on mine, for sure. Probably that Sorority Noise album... that shit was just extremely solid.

Tender Defender and G.L.O.S.S. on the EP list, zero doubts.

---

And what's the over/under on whether RobotNinjaHornets gets un-banned before voting ends?

Kawl_USC

There's going to be a split coming up with Camp Cope and Cayetana: http://poisoncityestore.com/collections/frontpage/products/camp-cope-cayetana-split-7-splatter

The record looks pretty sweet.

I hit a point a few years ago where I was trying to do one of these end of the year lists, and I kept going back and forth with some super up-its-own-ass album and one that I had played the shit out of but was nothing progressive or fresh.

I had to accept that there's merit in trusting my gut, sometimes.

Yeah, ordering will be pretty brutal. Worry will be somewhere on mine, for sure. Probably that Sorority Noise album... that shit was just extremely solid.

Tender Defender and G.L.O.S.S. on the EP list, zero doubts.

---

And what's the over/under on whether RobotNinjaHornets gets un-banned before voting ends?

Oh I've got no doubt about it Holy Ghost is on my list just depends on whether I wanna be a cool kid and through shit like It looks Sad above it and really get into my emo hipster cried.

And damn didn't realize RNH was banned, just thought he wasn't around as much lately.

Yeah, I went back a few pages to check out some Fest pictures and noticed the grey ban. Twitter submission if not unbanned?

Oh I've got no doubt about it Holy Ghost is on my list just depends on whether I wanna be a cool kid and through shit like It looks Sad above it and really get into my emo hipster cried.

Oh, that's a no-brainer situation IMO if it's not getting bumped out. 100% go for the cred and the coolness.

haveheart

Banned
AOTY, in no sepdific order though:

PUP - The Dream is Over
The Front Bottoms EP
Jank - Versace Summer
Pears - Green Star
Touche Amore - Stage Four
Every Time I Die - Low Teens
Moose Blood - Blush
Slaughter Beach, Dog - Welcome

olympia

modern baseball might make my list because my boyfriend listens to that album constantly and it grew on me

as far as cody goes, i listened to it with fresh ears again in full because it made the Spin and AVC lists. I get why people like the album. stairs is a great track, and the songs come from a real place. it isn't any means a bad album, but to me it's just a disappointing followup to NHA and kind of a detour from the momentum they built since their s/t which really degrades it to me. i'm also not really fond of the movement from a more pop punk sound to a more alt-rock one

worry for sure is going to make the top 10 for me. i think that album really nails the anxieties of the past year and is just utter catharsis

jank is for sure on it too. it's so good

haveheart

Banned
I don't really think this fits in this thread but I really fell for Tancred. Some weird early 90s, Weezer, girl pop-punk vibe going on there

modern baseball might make my list because my boyfriend listens to that album constantly and it grew on me

as far as cody goes, i listened to it with fresh ears again in full because it made the Spin and AVC lists. I get why people like the album. stairs is a great track, and the songs come from a real place. it isn't any means a bad album, but to me it's just a disappointing followup to NHA and kind of a detour from the momentum they built since their s/t which really degrades it to me. i'm also not really fond of the movement from a more pop punk sound to a more alt-rock one

worry for sure is going to make the top 10 for me. i think that album really nails the anxieties of the past year and is just utter catharsis

jank is for sure on it too. it's so good

That's a 10/10 post, dead on.

A lot of Cody is growing on me in small ways, but yeah, NHA was a really great permeation of the s/t. That's what I wanted more of, minus Heart Tattoo because I'm a hater and that song gives me that uncomfortable sudden hotness that comes along when you're embarrassed for someone else.

I got a Worry sticker at the show with a picture of Trump doing a Trump face and it says "Worry" is spazzy panicky letters. I remember thinking it was pretty funny when I got it in October but it's too real now.

Can we pick Versace Summer or is that relegated to EP lists?

I don't really think this fits in this thread but I really fell for Tancred. Some weird early 90s, Weezer, girl pop-punk vibe going on there

Cool. It kinda sounds like Waxahatchee, who was in P.S. Eliot with her twin, who formed Swearin', who definitely have a lot of emo leanings. We can make it fit.

For more girl punk goodness, check out Dog Party. Their album this year had me pretty hyped. I might find room on my list for them.

Kawl_USC

That's a 10/10 post, dead on.

A lot of Cody is growing on me in small ways, but yeah, NHA was a really great permeation of the s/t. That's what I wanted more of, minus Heart Tattoo because I'm a hater and that song gives me that uncomfortable sudden hotness that comes along when you're embarrassed for someone else.

I got a Worry sticker at the show with a picture of Trump doing a Trump face and it says "Worry" is spazzy panicky letters. I remember thinking it was pretty funny when I got it in October but it's too real now.

Can we pick Versace Summer or is that relegated to EP lists?

Cool. It kinda sounds like Waxahatchee, who was in P.S. Eliot with her twin, who formed Swearin', who definitely have a lot of emo leanings. We can make it fit.

For more girl punk goodness, check out Dog Party. Their album this year had me pretty hyped. I might find room on my list for them.

I got that same sticker and its waaaay too on the nose now.

Man that was a great show. Great weak of shows capped by a hellish election night...

List will include Holy Ghost, I am Satan, worry,
The dream is over. Maybe celebrate. Probably not goodness if I'm being honest.

Gonna go with for LPs:

Prince Daddy and the Hyena- I thought You didn't even like leaving

Arrows in Her- It Tired Me all the same

Touche Amore- Stage Four

The Hotelier- Goodness

Pity Sex- White Hot Moon

Deer Leap- Impermanence

Mom Jeans.- Best Buds

Posture & the Grizzly- I am Satan

Old Gray- Slow Burn

PUP- The Dream is Over

Fox Wound- In Passing You too Faded

Blowout- No beer, no dad

EDIT: Im a dumb fuck and didn't put on TWIABP re-release of Formlessness sooooo yeah that is up there too

for EPs and Splits:

TWIABP and Sorority Noise Split

TWIABP- Long Live Happy Birthday

Lions/Perspective a Lovely Hand to Hold/Sports. 3 way split

I think that brings up my tops that is pretty limited to emo. Last year was a much stronger year imo but still a damn good year.

Here's mine for this year, a couple aren't really emo but the vast majority of the list is so I just kept intact:

1. PUP - The Dream is Over
2. Jank - Versace Summer
3. Modern Baseball - Holy Ghost
4. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
5. You Blew It! - Abendrot
6. Touche Amore - Stage Four
7. The Hotelier - Goodness
8. Basment - Promise Everything (almost thought this one was last year)
9. Wild Nothing - Life of Pause
10. Taking Meds - My Life As a Bro

Honourable mentions: Teen Suicide, Jeff Rosenstock, LITE, LVL UP, Tiny Moving Parts, Slaugher Beach, Dog.

EDIT: Originally included Awkward Pop Songs by Jank as well but just realized that was 2015. Oops!

No worries on including Awkward Pop Songs. I'm so fucking self-absorbed that I was going to put Forgettable by Sorority Noise because I just heard it this year after completely sleeping on them and if I just heard it then it must mean in my shitty head that it just came out.

kiguel182

Here's my top 10. It's not ordered since iTunes didn't let me order manually on album view!

kj8BQuC.png

Gonna go with for LPs:

Prince Daddy and the Hyena- I thought You didn't even like leaving

Arrows in Her- It Tired Me all the same

Touche Amore- Stage Four

The Hotelier- Goodness

Pity Sex- White Hot Moon

Deer Leap- Impermanence

Mom Jeans.- Best Buds

Posture & the Grizzly- I am Satan

Old Gray- Slow Burn

PUP- The Dream is Over

Fox Wound- In Passing You too Faded

Blowout- No beer, no dad

for EPs and Splits:

TWIABP and Sorority Noise Split

TWIABP- Long Live Happy Birthday

Lions/Perspective a Lovely Hand to Hold/Sports. 3 way split

I think that brings up my tops that is pretty limited to emo. Last year was a much stronger year imo but still a damn good year.
I've been listening to the albums on other people's lists before I post mine. I'm glad you posted that Blowout album, I've never heard of them but I've listened to it all the way through and it is really solid.
I'm wondering what was on your list from last year. For 2015 and 2016, I'm struggling to come up with 10 really good albums but 2014 on the other hand had so many good ones.

I've been listening to the albums on other people's lists before I post mine. I'm glad you posted that Blowout album, I've never heard of them but I've listened to it all the way through and it is really solid.
I'm wondering what was on your list from last year. For 2015 and 2016, I'm struggling to come up with 10 really good albums but 2014 on the other hand had so many good ones.

Okay so my 2015 was amazing namely cuz I am a huge fan of the bands that released shit, like 3 of my top 4 bands released an album last year.

So it wouldn't be quite as emo as this year but it was pretty fucking amazing.

TWIABP released Harmlessness and Death To New Years (which imo is their best 7")

Foxing released Dealer

Marietta released As it Were

We Lost the Sea released Departure Songs (which is one of the most stirring post-rock albums I have ever heard)

Godspeed You Black Emperor released Asunder

Crooks released Are We All the Same Distance Apart

Deafheaven released New Bermuda

The Saddest Landscape released Darkness Forgives

Suis La Lune released Distance/Closure

Pianos Become the Teeth released the Close 7"

Bay Faction released their S/T

Periphery released their Juggernaut double album

Runaway Brother released Mother

Turnover released Peripheral Vision

Oliver Houston released The Dork Ages

Mewithoutyou released Pale Horses

So to me that is much stronger than this year.

I have all their full lengths except Your Favorite Weapon, which is the one I like the least but I still feel like I should have it just to complete the set.

i only have Deja Entendu and Daisy. Then again I am not a huge Brand New fan.

The only 2 bands I really care about having a complete set is Sigur Ros and TWIABP (which is kinda hard honestly lol )

Okay, in no real order:

Honey - Love is Hard
Mannequin Pussy - Romantic
PEARS - Green Star
Bong Mountain - You're Doing Great (For the Record)
Modern Baseball - Holy Ghost (if I liked the front half as much as the back, it might be AOTY)
Tiny Moving Parts - Celebrate
JANK - Versace Summer
Mom Jeans - Best Buds (snuck in late... just a knock out)

And rounding out the 10, fighting to AOTY:

Jeff Rosenstock - Worry
The Frightnrs - Nothing More to Say

EPs/Splits:

Tender Defender - S/T
G.L.O.S.S. - Trans Day of Revenge
Dead Bars / The Tim Version - Split
Dead to Me - I Wanna Die in Los Angeles
can't think of a 5th

Honorable Mention:

The new Descendents, Pulley, Arms Aloft, Caskitt, Dinosaur Jr., A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul (why is everyone only medium-hot on this?), Dog Party

Okay so my 2015 was amazing namely cuz I am a huge fan of the bands that released shit, like 3 of my top 4 bands released an album last year.

So it wouldn't be quite as emo as this year but it was pretty fucking amazing.

TWIABP released Harmlessness and Death To New Years (which imo is their best 7")

Foxing released Dealer

Marietta released As it Were

We Lost the Sea released Departure Songs (which is one of the most stirring post-rock albums I have ever heard)

Godspeed You Black Emperor released Asunder

Crooks released Are We All the Same Distance Apart

Deafheaven released New Bermuda

The Saddest Landscape released Darkness Forgives

Suis La Lune released Distance/Closure

Pianos Become the Teeth released the Close 7"

Bay Faction released their S/T

Periphery released their Juggernaut double album

Runaway Brother released Mother

Turnover released Peripheral Vision

Oliver Houston released The Dork Ages

Mewithoutyou released Pale Horses

So to me that is much stronger than this year.

Hmm, I really liked mewithoutYou and Turnover and liked TWIABP. Most of the rest I wasn't too into but there's a few I haven't heard yet so I'll check out those.

Thanks for your suggestions. Did you check out The Cardboard Swords or oso oso? Those were ones I liked a lot from last year along with Hop Along and Spraynard but those aren't really emo.

Hmm, I really liked mewithoutYou and Turnover and liked TWIABP. Most of the rest I wasn't too into but there's a few I haven't heard yet so I'll check out those.

Thanks for your suggestions. Did you check out The Cardboard Swords or oso oso? Those were ones I liked a lot from last year along with Hop Along and Spraynard but those aren't really emo.

Yeah those bands are dope too! I forgot to add them.

Who haven't you heard from the list?

Yeah those bands are dope too! I forgot to add them.

Who haven't you heard from the list?
Just We Lost the Sea, Periphery (but I don't like metal) and Oliver Houston. I'm in the mood for some post rock so maybe the first will be nice though.

Edit: Actually, I have heard this We Lost the Sea album before but I forgot so I will give it another shot.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Albums is gonna be hard, especially if I just confine it to "emo".

1. PUP - The Dream is Over
2. JANK - Versace Summer
3. Tiny Moving Parts - Celebrate
4. Jeff Rosenstock - Worry
5. PKEW PKEW PKEW - PKEW PKEW PKEW (Maybe not emo, but hell they go around with PUP and similar bands).
6. Camp Cope - Camp Cope

That was a quick one, actually was an easier one constraining it to just "emo" or related.

Top Bottom