• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

Just We Lost the Sea, Periphery (but I don't like metal) and Oliver Houston. I'm in the mood for some post rock so maybe the first will be nice though.

Edit: Actually, I have heard this We Lost the Sea album before but I forgot so I will give it another shot.

DO IT!

Read the story of the album and each song as you go along, for Departure Songs. Really beautiful

Also my copy of Slow Burn arrived today.... shit is beautiful

8qwb88I.jpg

qOBN8w0.jpg

myco666

i'm always in the mood for some charles bronson

Isn't everyone though?

Now that is holiday I've have had actual time to listen bunch of recommendations from this thread. So much good stuff. Like Posture & the Grizzly. I am Satan was really good but then I went and listened Busch Hymns and my god is that a good album. Shame it took me this long to start exploring this genre but I blame my local record dealers and emo scene being nonexistant here.

Also I am still a bit lost with the genre. Can't really identify what is emo and what isn't. Like I thought PUP was emo but apparently it is not? Like how you define this stuff?

So after listening to many many records this year I'm finally ready to post my list. Special thanks to MultiJhonny for all the recommendations, in particular Blowout.

1. cllct yrslf - --It Started Shifting
2. Tiny Moving Parts - Celebrate
3. The Hotelier - Goodness
4. Muncie Girls - From Caplan to Belsize
5. American Football - American Football
6. Old Gray - Slow Burn
7. Pinegrove - Cardinal
8. You Blew It! - Abendrot
9. I Love Your Lifestyle - We Go Way Back
10. Blowout - No Beer, No Dad

Honorable Mentions:
Dowsing - Okay
Joyce Manor - Cody
Pup - The Dream is Over
Soul Glo - Untitled
Suis La Lune / Shirokuma - Split

I complained at the start of the year about not really being that stoked on many albums, but many of those albums took quite a few listens to click with me so in the end the year turned out pretty well music wise.

That documentary about Bomb the Music Industry! has a streaming release, now. https://nevergettired.vhx.tv/

I've read good things about it as a documentary. Even casual fans of the band or people knowledgeable of the players that show up as talking heads could enjoy it.

Also, I upgraded my turntable from a crusty kinda meh one to one of those Pro-Ject Debut Carbons and I put Worry on for my first test spin. Really clean. "We Begged 2 Explode" was a great test run because of all of the space in the beginning and all of the swelling at the end.

Still on team B-side for that album.

kris.

Banned
ugh i've been meaning to watch it but haven't had time. so pumped to finally watch it though, been waiting since the original kickstarter was announced.

edit: k i watched it and i cried a little. so good. was really awesome seeing my own name in the credits too

So r/emo can't stop talking about Mom Jeans. I like what I've listened to, but I can't tell if all of the talk is just overusing a meme or if they generally really like them.

What are your thoughts?

Kawl_USC

I really like them. And that's before I realized they are r/Emo's new meme.

Also damn jhonny got banned. Mods got it out for the Emo community!

But I think it's mostly meme bluster on r/Emo, sorta their new JANK.

imBask

Banned
I really like them. And that's before I realized they are r/Emo's new meme.

Also damn jhonny got banned. Mods got it out for the Emo community!

But I think it's mostly meme bluster on r/Emo, sorta their new JANK.

Jhonny asked for a ban, he needed to take a break and take care of himself, send him some love

So r/emo can't stop talking about Mom Jeans. I like what I've listened to, but I can't tell if all of the talk is just overusing a meme or if they generally really like them.

What are your thoughts?

I really like them. Discovered their album after I did my top 10 for the year but they would have made it for sure.

Good luck Jhonny 😘

I really like them. Discovered their album after I did my top 10 for the year but they would have made it for sure.

Good luck Jhonny 😘

I started listening to the album at the tail end of the year and it easily snuck in my top 10. I really it.

I love both JANK albums, too. If it's just memes to r/emo. I hope they keep their track record up with the next meme.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Uhmed and ah'd but because I'm trying to line up at least 1 gig every month this year I got tickets for Modern Baseball next month (UK, not the Sorority Noise one). I think I really need to give Holy Ghost a better listen.

New Sorority Noise album announced - out on 3-17. :D

Excellent news.

I did a google search about the tour because I forgot what dates they're coming to an area just outside of where I want to drive to and I found this tour article on Brooklyn Vegan.

Modern Baseball, Tiny Moving Parts, The Hotelier and Sorority Noise... on a single bill. Fucking insane, since it's kind of like a heavyweight of emo revival. I'd be stoked to see those 4 on a festival line up. But in the same night?

The furthest south it went was Virginia, so whatever.

Topic: with Jank and Mom Jeans, is Stoner Emo on its way to being a full on sub-genre?

Kawl_USC

Sub genre? Maybe. Niche? definitely.

Yea that's a godly line up.

TMP, PUP, Rosenstock, Modern Baseball is maybe as good in my opinion (even if I missed PUP at least it was pre the dream is over)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I sat on Mom Jeans for way too long, now I need to amend my best of 2016 to include Best Buds...

Right? They're legitimately good. That's why I say whatever r/emo is doing with their meme love for bands, keep it coming.

Speaking of Reddit, Jeff Rosenstock is doing an AMA on tomorrow at 7pm. Gaben, lord and protector of all that is both or either holy and Steam, is also doing one at 3pm, same day.

olympia

Cool, thanks for the heads up WRT that Rosenstock AMA.

I was listening to Single Mothers yesterday. I hope they put out an album this year. Negative Qualities is so great.

Risk Revival turns 10 next month.

PillarEN

Right? They're legitimately good. That's why I say whatever r/emo is doing with their meme love for bands, keep it coming.

Speaking of Reddit, Jeff Rosenstock is doing an AMA on tomorrow at 7pm. Gaben, lord and protector of all that is both or either holy and Steam, is also doing one at 3pm, same day.

I missed GabeN. I hope he was pelted with nothing but HL3 questions. Nothing else matters since Valve has gone anti single player. Have heart you cold business folks.

Oh I thought tomorrow was today. Nevermind. Point still stands. No questions other than HL3 should be accepted.

Top Bottom