• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

You not catching the free throw show tomorrow?

Also thanks for reminding me to get tickets to the turnover show coming up.

nah I just started a new job and I am broke until my first pay day and I'm not a big fan of free throw anyway and I was unaware that they were coming too lol

myco666

You guys buying stuff from bandcamp today? All profits bandcamp makes go to ACLU today. Also Spirits released live album and all money from that goes to ACLU.

double post sry also not emo but if you're into punk/hardcore, dan yemin of lifetime/paint it black/kid dynamite is in a new band called open city and their debut lp is streaming on bandcamp.

i wish he and the rest of paint it black would release some new shit, but this rules so eh.

https://theeopencity.bandcamp.com/releases

Oooo this is good.

Not much to add except that I'm just so fucking bored by Radiohead.

They're just so... unnecessary. And the circle jerk around them, ugh.

double post sry also not emo but if you're into punk/hardcore, dan yemin of lifetime/paint it black/kid dynamite is in a new band called open city and their debut lp is streaming on bandcamp.

i wish he and the rest of paint it black would release some new shit, but this rules so eh.

https://theeopencity.bandcamp.com/releases

Digging it.

akileese

Yeah that is very true about Texas. I am in Houston and my concert schedule is pretty packed in the spring with the big boys being Circa Survive/mewithoutyou/Turnover show, then Deafheaven/This Will Destroy You/Emma Ruth Rundle show then, Touche Amore and then in June I get to see Sigur Ros in Austin

I'm doing Circa Survive as well on 3/1. I'm padding some vacation in between the shows. I don't bounce back like I used to in my thirties haha

Kawl_USC

nah I just started a new job and I am broke until my first pay day and I'm not a big fan of free throw anyway and I was unaware that they were coming too lol
Yo this show was tight

Got accused of being a country boy though...

Not sure what part of my rosenstock worry worry worry shirt and make America sad again hat gave that impression...

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Guys,I have a confession to make, though if you read my previous posts this won't be a surprise (or you've never even seen my posts anyway, in which case you'll be like: "who's this guy?").

I listened to Sunny Day Real Estates 'Diary' for the first time today. It was amazing. I'm now going to spend the rest of my week hitting up enough classics.

kris.

Banned
bruhhhh how did it take you this long??? hit me up if you needs some recs

unless you have some obscure shit i haven't heard then pls read my post before yours thx :)

This might classify as obscure, but it's more like slowcore indie spectrum. Seam - "Sky City"

Part of an ongoing thesis I've written (in my head, only) about how you can take the Pacific NW from the early 90's and compare it musically to the stuff coming out of the Research Triangle in that same timeframe, and the PacNW just gets shit all over for the most part.

But the PacNW had Heatmiser. (Obscure? Probably not.) Heatmiser - "Idler"

My thesis might be flawed.

We need to do one of these for emo scenes. Narrowish timeframes in geographic groupings. Cage match.

kris.

Banned
how in the FUCK did i not know elliott smith was in a band before going solo?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

how in the FUCK did i not know elliott smith was in a band before going solo?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Duuuuuuude.

Listen to Mic City Sons. A few of the songs were repurposed later as solo stuff and I think a band redid "Not Half Right." Jimmy Eat World maybe?

Anyway, killer album. Not as slow as the one I just posted.

kris.

Banned
Duuuuuuude.

Listen to Mic City Sons. A few of the songs were repurposed later as solo stuff and I think a band redid "Not Half Right." Jimmy Eat World maybe?

Anyway, killer album. Not as slow as the one I just posted.

10 steps ahead of ya. this fucking ruuuules.

Cindres

bruhhhh how did it take you this long??? hit me up if you needs some recs

unless you have some obscure shit i haven't heard then pls read my post before yours thx :)

Uh, tell me about it.

I was just reading this recommendation thread on /r/emo, might be some stuff on there for you.

kris.

Banned
Uh, tell me about it.

I was just reading this recommendation thread on /r/emo, might be some stuff on there for you.

ooooh dope, thanks! i'll peruse this in a lil bit.

relistening to Goodness atm and it's still such a solid album.

also if you guys are sleepin on this new menzingers album, i feel so bad for you. early aoty contender.

myco666

Not strictly emo but listened Dag Nasty for the first time (yes you read that right). Why the hell it takes me this much time to find these obvious bands lol.

ooooh dope, thanks! i'll peruse this in a lil bit.

relistening to Goodness atm and it's still such a solid album.

also if you guys are sleepin on this new menzingers album, i feel so bad for you. early aoty contender.

New Menzingers is good but I think it is a tad too long album.

myco666

I know those bands but never got around to listen them. I am ashamed of myself. I really need to go through all of Dischord Records output eventually. I think only Dischord stuff I've listened are Fugazi, Gray Matter and Minor Threat. And obviously Dag Nasty now.

Yeah, I probably should, too. A Dischord listening thread. Except we'd probably get a handful of posters, at best.

I really like the post-Fugazi stuff Ian MacKaye did with his wife in The Evens. It's a little inconsistent or uneven (hah!) but it's a cool extension that still feels in line with his body of work.

Despite being the picture of the opposite of straight edge for way too much of my life, I'm coming around to admitting that I might be a little bit of an Ian MacKaye fanboy.

kris.

Banned
New Menzingers is good but I think it is a tad too long album.

that was my main beef at first but then it kinda latched onto me and everything clicked and now it's all i'm listening to (besides Pinegrove because holy fuck that album still hits like a freight train)

myco666

Yeah, I probably should, too. A Dischord listening thread. Except we'd probably get a handful of posters, at best.

I really like the post-Fugazi stuff Ian MacKaye did with his wife in The Evens. It's a little inconsistent or uneven (hah!) but it's a cool extension that still feels in line with his body of work.

Despite being the picture of the opposite of straight edge for way too much of my life, I'm coming around to admitting that I might be a little bit of an Ian MacKaye fanboy.

Yeah it is a bit weird to be a fan of sXe bands while not being one. Have Heart is one of my favorite bands but ton of their merch has "Boston Straight Edge" on them and I am not sure if I should wear them lol.

that was my main beef at first but then it kinda latched onto me and everything clicked and now it's all i'm listening to (besides Pinegrove because holy fuck that album still hits like a freight train)

Hmmm... maybe I need to listen to it more then. I have been trying to listen bunch of I haven't heard yet (old and new) and mostly emo but I just end up listening to Nasty on repeat always. Really need to watchout getting stuck to certain albums since I have been burned out on so many good stuff.

edit.
Also it fucking sucks that emo scene is non existant here. Can't find anything and when I do find something it is out of stock with high price tag.

Lender

Have Heart is one of my favorite bands
giphy.gif

An album that I believe will be looked back on as a classic in the future, Modern Baseball's You're Gonna Miss It All, turns 3 today. Give it a spin for the occasion.

That new Menzingers kinda sounds like Gaslight Anthem. Anyone getting those vibes? And I'm still not sure about them. There's this ??? I can't describe that just won't click for me with that band. There are some killer hooks and riffs on this thing, though. I'm not feeling that pseudo-darkwave song near the end at all.

And, "Oh yeah, oh yeah, everything is terrible / Buying marijuana makes you feel like a criminal" is a pretty accurate representation of not being in your 20s anymore.

I saw Death this weekend. Wooooo, man. So good.

The sound in this newish venue was pretty bad, though. And that's not good for the You Blew It! / Free Throw show that will be there next month.

EDIT: Descendents North American tour and are they coming near you?
http://exclaim.ca/music/article/descendents_finally_hit_canada_on_summer_tour

kris.

Banned
LISTEN FAM

i saw run the jewels tonight and it was the most fun i've had at a show in so goddamn long
and kinda cathartic to scream along to at some points considering how shit's gone down lately

but also as soon as i got home i found out that the smith street band announced their new album and released this song

this FUUCKKING SONG

FUCKING THIS SONG THO

AND MICHAEL FLYNN RESIGNED

sercotel

Neo Member
So today for the first time tiny comes to my country couldn't be more excited anyone have been to one of their concerts lately? How was it?

Thanks guys

Cindres

Awesome.

Are there any other Little Elephant sets that I should check out?

Oh how the hell did I forget, JANK did one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSjBaBzRSPw

EDIT: While I'm JANKin, here's another sweet recorded set they did (Honest Face Sessions):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A5yR_sv9Zo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCz4aixa0J4

So today for the first time tiny comes to my country couldn't be more excited anyone have been to one of their concerts lately? How was it?

Thanks guys

Do you mean Tiny Moving Parts?

Cindres

I saw them two weeks ago and before that I saw them back in September too, if they ever came round again I'd absolutely go see them. They're so much damned fun live, I don't think the singer's ever not smiled, he moves around a LOT and gets unsurprisingly sweaty as a result.

If they're hanging round their merch stand as they tend to do (at least when I've seen them) go say hi, they're all real nice dudes. First time we saw them my girlfriend bought me Celebrate on vinyl and they all signed it.

Bought my Descendents tickets today. They're the last band on my "Top 10 Bands" list that I haven't seen! So unbelievably stoked.

Also the new Menzingers fucking rules. Midwestern States and Your Wild Years in particular are great. The new Dave Hause album that came out the same day and it rules too. If you guys don't know him, check it out.

Hmmm... maybe I need to listen to it more then. I have been trying to listen bunch of I haven't heard yet (old and new) and mostly emo but I just end up listening to Nasty on repeat always. Really need to watchout getting stuck to certain albums since I have been burned out on so many good stuff.

edit.
Also it fucking sucks that emo scene is non existant here. Can't find anything and when I do find something it is out of stock with high price tag.

Yeah, the Menzingers album has been my jam since it came out and it's definitely grown with repeated listens. Midwestern States is probably my favorite off the album.

Bought my Descendents tickets today. They're the last band on my "Top 10 Bands" list that I haven't seen! So unbelievably stoked.

Also the new Menzingers fucking rules. Midwestern States and Your Wild Years in particular are great. The new Dave Hause album that came out the same day and it rules too. If you guys don't know him, check it out.

Yeah, the Descendents are really great. Hope you enjoy that show! Agreed about the new Menzingers album and Midwestern States is my favorite of it, so we share that view of it. Your Wild Years is great too.

FUCKKKKKK

I have been listening to a lot of Touche Amore recently... So damn good.

Is Survived By.. is still my fav of theirs

Touche Amore is really awesome. Is Survived By... is really great album, love it, but I think I've enjoyed Stage Four a bit more as a whole. I almost commented about La Dispute since they sound quite a bit similar... Haha! (another awesome band).

I had to put down my cat on Wednesday. He had the most rapid cancerous growth in his jaw that I've ever seen and shit got really bad really quickly. Being confronted by death, almost tangibly, stirs up all of the times you've ever looked at it in the face. The times that still have a way of haunting you and, worse from guilt, the times not as vividly remembered. It's been a goddamn week/month/year.

Wanted to get Descendents tickets, a top 10 I haven't seen, too, have friends who did, but can't commit to something 8 months from now.

Haven't heard the new Dave Hause but that second Loved Ones album was pretty fucking ace. Still one toe in and one toe out on the Menzingers, new album and band in general.

But hey, new Sorority Noise video and song.

myco666

I think I am falling in love with The Saddest Landscape. Darkness Forgives and After the Lights are so good. Anyone know where I could get their albums in EU? US shippings are $23 so I rather not import.

blackjaw

Have Heart is one of my favorite bands

I like you.

You don't have to be sXe to love the music; I haven't been edge in 15 years and still enjoy the music and for the most part the scene.

It's like G.L.O.S.S., I love them and I'm not trans or gay. The anger and power in the lyrics is awesome, so is what they did for that scene, a voice for those who were marginalized.

Also, major bummer about Modern Baseball and Kevin Devine. Hoping Kevin gets out on a few headliners, guy is fantastic.

Top Bottom